PDA

View Full Version : So you asked for drinks....

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 04:37 PM
I've had some people ask me for recipes or drink ideas for boating, so I thought I'd combine my boating and bartending experience to help people here in the forums. Today, we'll start with some low dollar tools that will help you make a killer drink with ease. If you plan on slingin drinks from the boat you should have these onboard:
Bottle opener
Blender
MARTINI SHAKER-Here's the secret to looking like a pro. Forget about the stupid strainer. Get a pint beer glass(also available in plastic). Flip it upside down and it fits inside the shaker to shake. When done, flip it right side up and stick it in the shaker to strain. Many people don't realize you can make more than just Martinis in a shaker. You can also make rocks Margaritas etc...
JIGGER CUP--a conical measuring cup that shows ounces. Helpful for learning to accurately pour liquors. After a few tries with the jigger you'll know what an ounce looks like.
Pour spouts-Very helpful for eliminating spillage and waste of your alcohol, especially on a rocking boat. Plus it makes you look cool.I prefer the metal ones because they don't stop up.
Now, you may ask why you need all this crap just to make a drink. Well, there's a hell of a difference between a drink that's just thrown together and one that's accurately mixed. Ever had a drink that was "just right" or made you go "mmmmmm that's good"? That's what you can get every time if you learn to pour correctly and accurately. Next, we'll get into some really good blended drinks that will have the girlies begging for more...

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay, before we get to the recipes I also wanted to list some base alcohols that are ingredients in multiple drinks. You can carry a few of these and still make a lot of different drinks.
Vodka- Used in Long Islands, Mudslides, martinis
Rum-Long Islands, Coladas, Mai Tai, mixers
Triple Sec-Used in Margs,Long Islands,Kamikazes, martinis, can be replaced with Blue Curacao to add color.
Bailey's-B-52's, Blow Jobs, Orgasm
Kahlua-White/Black Russians, B-52, Blow Job, Orgasm
Tequila-I think you can figure it out
Midori-Scooby Snacks, Midori Coladas, Melon Balls, Tokyo Tea
Hopefully this will show you the combinations you can make with just a few alcohols.
One final note on pour spouts-They keep you from losing the cap overboard!! Put all your caps in a plastic bag and stow them away until done. Now....on to the drinks!

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Kamikaze/Attitude Adjustment
Tart/Tangy
Difficulty Rating:5
Alcohol Rating:8
Can be made on the rocks, but they are best when shaken and poured.
1/2 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Lime juice
I recommend Rose's sweetened lime juice.
Bonuses: Use Blue Curacao instead of Triple Sec to get a "Nuclear" Kamikaze that is blue. Add orange juice to make an "Attitude Adjustment".

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Can we ask questions:)
1) Does it matter what brand of Vodka you use? I had a friend tell me that unlike most liguors, It does not matter how expensive your vodka is. (I use to bartend and know the rotgut house brands they keep under the counter for regular drinks, so I always order "brand" name liguors to go into my drinks?
(Your thoughts?)
2) How do you make a Cape Code?
3) How do you make a Cosmpolitan?
Thanks! ;)

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Yes, you better ask questions because there will be a quiz later! As far as Vodkas, it depends on how much and how often you plan on drinking it. Myself, I prefer the cheap stuff when making a lot of drinks because people mostly don't notice. Other people prefer Grey Goose or another high value label. If you plan on getting hammered on Vodka based drinks, use Smirnoff or better because the cheap stuff will give you a hangover.(Impurities)
Cape Cod-On the rocks
1 oz Vodka(1.5 oz if they like em strong)
Fill w/ Cranberry juice
Cosmo- Remember it's a Martini so it's shaken with ice and poured.
1.5 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Cranberry Juice
1/2 oz Lime juice
Shake and pour
In the case of drinks like Cosmos and Lemon Drops I would suggest using a higher grade Vodka. And all these recipes are based on bar glassware. The cape cod recipe probably needs twice that amount of Vodka for a plastic river cup so keep that in mind.

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Now, if you have to make a drink that will absolutely, positively get the party started, try this:
Blow Job
Difficulty Rating:2
Popularity Rating:10
Alcohol Factor:9
Shot glasses mandatory.
1/2 oz Bailey's
1/2 oz Kahlua
Pour into a shot glass. Line up as many females as you can and place a shot in front of them. Then tell them they are not allowed to use their hands to take the shot, they must pick it up with their mouth/lips. Put a bead of whip cream around the glasses and tell them to have at it!!!

Ziggy
05-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Whats the proper ratio of rum to coke? I drink parrot bay mostly.

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok, thanks!!
I had heard that the more expensive the booze, the better and not such a hangover (impurities make sense)
But my friend said Vodka was exempt from that. (Doesn't make sense to me)
P.S. I have been drinking Cosmopolitans and calling them Cape Cods! LOL;)
How do you make:
Sex on the Beach & A slow Comfortable Screw against the Wall
(or are those just made up drinks):D

Three Days Only
05-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Stick with Grey Goose, it will treat you the same as a high dollar hooker, and leave you clean and satisfied in the morning.

LAVEYSABRE575
05-22-2004, 06:46 PM
goose will leave you running nude in barley bros....

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 06:56 PM
We have that vodka with the deer on it? (or trees) I can't tell ...;)

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Vodka is supposed to be completely odorless and colorless. Now, most of them are but still have impurities. higher shelf Vodkas like Grey Goose have been filtered a time or two more than lower shelf stuff to remove impurities. A well vodka may have only been filtered once or three times, while Grey Goose filters 5 times and other filter 7. Always odd numbers for some reason. Damn girl ,you're givin me a workout on the drinks. Here we go!
Sex on the Beach
Degree of Difficulty:8
Alcohol Rating:8
Popularity:8
Made on the rocks
1/2 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Chambord
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1/2 fill orange juice
1/2 fill cranberry juice
Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall
Degree of difficulty:7
Alcohol rating:8.5
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Southern Comfort
1/2 oz Sloe gin
Fill w/ orange juice
float Galliano on top
Galliano is not really used much and most likely you won't have any, so the Vodka,SoCo, Sloe gin and OJ make a Sloe Comfortable Screw. Also, leave out the Southern Comfort for a Sloe Screw.

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 07:01 PM
THANKS!
Will you be mixing all these drinks for us at OP6C?;)

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 07:02 PM
I agree wwith Three Daays, for the money Grey Goose is the shizzle. But for now I'll stick with the Burnett Limited I have in the freezer:D The old lady don't know the difference!

Ziggy
05-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Nevermind.....................:D

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 07:14 PM
As much as I'd love to be there slingin cocktails, I have to work:rolleyes: Yeah, it sucks. Plus the restrictive new budget doesn't have a line labeled "OP6C Fund" on it. One of these days I'll make it, preferrably when I get the new Ultra.

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Whats the proper ratio of rum to coke? I drink parrot bay mostly.
Isn't Parot Bay the cocoanut rum?
I heard you can mix that with pineapple juice and it is really good!;)

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Parrot Bay is good , but MALIBU is the shizzle....

Ziggy
05-22-2004, 07:54 PM
I've had both and either tastes great to me...We even bought some Parrot Bay look-a-like bottle of stuff from Smith's in Havasu, even that tasted fine to me at 1/2 the price....didn't notice any ill effect the next day:cool:
I got hooked on that coconut rum after a visit to Maui 1 1/2 yrs ago...big function we go to each year for BMW.
So, HR, you say Malibu is the shizzle? IS it the more expensive stuff or IYO just better? I ask cuz it was the Ritz that served the Parrot Bay, you'd think they get good stuff to serve.

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Okay, so I told you fockers how to get the party started. Now here's how you keep it going! You need to pass around some Pum Runch and tell everyone to take a hit. What you need for this is a gallon or 1.5 gallon jug with a push button pour spout on the front. The ingredients are:
Malibu Rum-one 750ML bottle
Sobe-2 bottles Strawberry Banana and two bottles Fruit Punch
Fill the jug with ice
Depending on the crowd, you'll use anywhere from 1/2 to the whole bottle of Malibu. It's your call.
Pour the bottles of Sobe in, put the top on and shake like a MoFo. Then pass it around while singing "99 bottles of beer". You can thank me later for the results....

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Ziggy, it's kind of Personal preference but I think Malibu is smoother. It's also cheaper. Parrot Bay is a well known top of the line brand as an offshoot of Capt. Morgy. But IMO Malibu is better.

Debbolas
05-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Okay, so I told you fockers how to get the party started. Now here's how you keep it going! You need to pass around some Pum Runch and tell everyone to take a hit. What you need for this is a gallon or 1.5 gallon jug with a push button pour spout on the front. The ingredients are:
Malibu Rum-one 750ML bottle
Sobe-2 bottles Strawberry Banana and two bottles Fruit Punch
Fill the jug with ice
Depending on the crowd, you'll use anywhere from 1/2 to the whole bottle of Malibu. It's your call.
Pour the bottles of Sobe in, put the top on and shake like a MoFo. Then pass it around while singing "99 bottles of beer". You can thank me later for the results....
What is Sobe?

Ziggy
05-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks HR.
Your PumRUnch sounds like a "Jungle Juice " I used to mix up in my younger years...I'd mix pretty much all clear Alchohols, 2 or 3 various frozen fruit drink concentrates, slices of lime, watermelon, grapes and whatever sounded good, some water, ice......all into a 1 gal milk jug...chill and pass it around. Munching the fruit alone would kick your A** if you saturated a day before :eek:
Talk about spinning head--yoa :) :)

HighRoller
05-22-2004, 08:10 PM
You know...Sobe Lizard Fuel.. comes in an ice tea bottle...look in the cooler next to Snapple and lipton next time you're in the gas station.