PDA

View Full Version : GT New Howard Bullet III

dr. margarita
05-25-2004, 06:47 AM
It gives me great pleasure to start another Bullet thread since the last one saw nearly 250 replies! Gary, we love it when you build Howards, it reminds me of how cool it was when Gene and Mike built mine. When will your new one be out of the mold? Quad rotor? Details please! Dr. Marg

dicudmore
05-25-2004, 09:05 AM
thought he said no Bullet for a while :confused: :(

TPI
05-25-2004, 10:43 AM
I pasted my response below, I hit the wrong button and started another thread. Duh......................
No info really,
I am in a standby mode right now while I push forward with this business. I have not ordered a new boat, so I have no info for you yet. At some point soon I hope to take the plunge. I will say this:
The new boat will be a Howard Bullet.
It will have more than 1000 HP
It will have a race boat look
And it will not only achieve triple digit speed, it will handle and be very easy to drive(goes without saying).
I am always working on new ideas, and I hope to implement them into the boat.

dr. margarita
05-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Whooops....I thought I read you had a new boat in the mold.

TPI
05-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Nope,
I think I would be 5-6 boats toward the back of the line.
If Its posted somewhere that I have one in the mold, maybe someone already started one for me.:D

cc322
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Howard is a great boat.......not quite a LAVEY but none the less, a great boat :D :) :D :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cc322
05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
F-11

cc322
05-26-2004, 07:42 PM
ops f1-11

roln 20s
05-26-2004, 08:41 PM
ops f1-11
Really??:rolleyes:
I thought that boat had a HP525?
Roln 20s

RiverToysJas
05-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Really??:rolleyes:
I thought that boat had a HP525?
Roln 20s
My Lavey Brother is getting a little carried away! :) LOL.... F-1 11 currently has a Merc 525, as does it's twin, the Poker Run Addition. They might touch 90 under ideal conditions. I've been in the Poker Run boat into the 80s, w/ 4 adults on board. Great boat!!! I don't know of a modern Lavey that's in triple digits, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. ;) I know of at least one other 2750 that's around 90 right now.
RTJas :D

cc322
05-27-2004, 04:38 AM
My comment was all in fun, just felt like stiring the pot a little:D

TPI
05-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Thats pretty funny(lol). That just goes to show how many people are reading the different threads.
On a serious note, I dont think there is a Custom boat out there under 30' that will run over 100 mph so smooth with a single engine in big water conditions for a long period of time. The 25-28 Bullets are so stable and smooth in the chop it's almost wrong. I was driving a buddies 28 Bullet a couple weeks ago with a hopped up HP500 and it was boring, smooth, but boring! I know there are a few fountains out there that can run, and there are definately a bunch of Schiada's that can pull way into the triple digits. But I am talking about buzzing up the Quad rotor to about 5400 rpm at 105 mph for 1+ minutes at a time in 2'+ water. Now thats fun!:D Mojave is the best place for that because its long and pretty straight in some spots, without a lot of cross traffic. Before the controversy begins(lol) and the microwave popcorn is warmed up, what I am trying to say is: you can drop an engine in a Howard Bullet with a standard x-dimension and an upgraded XR drive and run triple digits, no nose cones, tricky trim tabs, stand off boxes, blue printed bottoms, you get the point. I would guess with a 28 you would need:950 hp, an HP gimbal, and a strong drive, and you are in business. Thats it, no funny business. Pretty cool really, IMO.

RiverToysJas
05-27-2004, 07:28 AM
GT, Just for comparison, you should hook up with Whipped Caliber. His 28' Caliber runs about 100 on a single. I'd be curious to know how it compares to the Howard.
Seriously, If I didn't own a Lavey, I'd own a Howard!!! ;)

TPI
05-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
GT, Just for comparison, you should hook up with Whipped Caliber. His 28' Caliber runs about 100 on a single. I'd be curious to know how it compares to the Howard.
That would be pretty cool. I am always interested in seeing the different handling characteristics of the custom boats available.:D

roln 20s
05-27-2004, 07:07 PM
My comment was all in fun, just felt like stiring the pot a little
I know- and a good one at that:D
I actually really like the Lavey 2750, but have been wondering how it really handles and rides--a couple Mags have been a little iffy, a couple ***boat members were really iffy about the boat, and there are some that love it. None the less- I think the gel that Lavey does is among the best- they would be on my short list...if I wasn't buying a Howard soon.
Roln 20s

little rowe boat
05-27-2004, 07:20 PM
I know- and a good one at that:D
I actually really like the Lavey 2750, but have been wondering how it really handles and rides--a couple Mags have been a little iffy, a couple ***boat members were really iffy about the boat, and there are some that love it. None the less- I think the gel that Lavey does is among the best- they would be on my short list...if I wasn't buying a Howard soon.
Roln 20s
So how soon are you buying a Howard?

TPI
05-28-2004, 04:54 AM
Roln,
Are you still lookin at a 25 Bullet? When do you think you will dive in, and what will you chose to power it.

TPI
05-28-2004, 05:10 AM
I decided since we are talking about my future Howard, that it would be my 5th one. So we need to change the Thread title.:D
GT's New Howard V
1. 1986 Howard 18' T deck Runnerbottom
2. 2002 Howard 22' Sport
3. 2003 Howard 25' Bullet
4. 2004 Howard 25' Bullet
5. 200? Howard ??' Bullet
Ive loved every one of them!:D
I wonder when I will ever settle down and hold on to one of these masterpieces. I went out the other day with the new owner of boat #4 with the TP600, that boat is so smooth and nice. Ive been a little bummed since I sold it. I have never not had a boat for summer. This going to be a loooooong Summer. The new owner seems to really love it though.

cc322
05-28-2004, 06:48 AM
I fill for you not having a boat for summer, but I'm sure you will winde up with something soon, one question why so many boats in so little time?,and is it contageous?:D good luck and keep us posted

TPI
05-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Good Question,
Everytime I'm tightening up the last screw, I have about 5 ideas on how I could improve on "the next one". But my last 25 was exactly the way I wanted it, I just was looking at my future business and decided to focus on that. Every one of those boats had a purpose, and was a great experience. Also, every new boat was a step up the boating ladder. We have gotton some great boating experience from those different boats.

roln 20s
05-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I plan on ordering this thing in October, November at the latest. The reason for this time table is I want Mike and Gene to use mine at the LA Boat Show in '05. I will be getting a 25 Bullet, hard deck, and for Power- Dr Marg's 496HO and drive.
This is contingent on a fews things, but right now, it looks real good. I can't wait.
Oh, and to answer the next question- Dr Marg will be "upgrading" to something with a little more power, I know GT will be getting a call.
GT- I have a few questions about the boat and hard deck version- I'll give you a call sometime.
Roln 20s

TPI
05-29-2004, 05:28 AM
That sounds like a pretty good plan. It would definately be cost effective for you to score Tom's motor package. I wonder what Tom is going to end up with for power?:p I'll bet it's 100 more hp than he wants right now?:D

phebus
05-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by GT
That sounds like a pretty good plan. It would definately be cost effective for you to score Tom's motor package. I wonder what Tom is going to end up with for power?:p I'll bet it's 100 more hp than he wants right now?:D
Do you think that boat could handle it? :D :D :D

roln 20s
05-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Do you think that boat could handle it?
Absolutely- GT put 1000 in his 25 and ran a chine walk free 111mph. It can definately handle the power, just like its big brother the 28 Bullet.
I'm not sure what Dr M wants- my guess is something NA EFI around 700. Thats a 90mph Bullet. I have a feeling this is the way its gonna go:
I buy Toms 496HO,
He buys a new TP EFI Motor,
Then I need a bigger motor and sell mine to another new 25 Bullet owner,
Then I call Gary at TP and get a new EFI Whipple motor--something about triple digits at your fingertips really gets me stoked (Note: this is down the road...a ways)
Or I buy a 28 Bullet-- and get a new motor then :D wow, I like this idea.
Roln 20s <---Howard obsessed, and can't wait to buy one

TPI
05-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Do you think that boat could handle it? :D :D :D
Roln,
I think Phebus is jerking your chain a bit.(lol) Or Tom's chain! At 90 mph those bullets are a no brainer.

phebus
05-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by GT
Roln,
I think Phebus is jerking your chain a bit.(lol) Or Tom's chain! At 90 mph those bullets are a no brainer.
Definately joking. I haven't heard a bad thing about those Bullet's yet, and I know you had your's going very fast GT.

roln 20s
05-30-2004, 11:01 PM
GT and Phebus- Yeah, I know he was jerkin my chain, although you can't really tell from my response:D I don't think we need to say much, the Bullets seem to speek for themselves.
Roln 20s

dr. margarita
06-01-2004, 07:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm glad Roln 20's is planning my future and spending some bucks too:D Patrick, this is all contingent on the "secret mission". I'll release info to HB and LVHB members fairly soon. I'll know more this week. Phebus knows what I'm talkin about!
My current plan is in early January, when Roln 20's is ready for the motor and drive to upgrade to a Taylor Performance built 540 naturally aspirated motor and a first rate, "never worry about it" drive. A super charger would be the final phase, if ever. The motor is a no brainer...however Mike Willen's newest tooling work has mine and my wife's interest and may force a boat change!
Get ready Patrick, if Howard's newest project is smokin, you might have to settle for a killer deal on a 25' open bow (more seating for Amanda's buddies!)

TPI
06-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Meooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww?
Say it isnt so!

phebus
06-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Meooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww? Deckboat? Say it is so!!
:D :D

DogHouse
06-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Man Roln, ya gotta stop baggin on the Howards like that. Somebody's gonna take offense and get all pissy!
:D

roln 20s
06-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Man Roln, ya gotta stop baggin on the Howards like that. Somebody's gonna take offense and get all pissy!
They told me they don't mind :D Otherwise, I would stop-hehe :D
My next job is to convince you to sell the "little kitty" and get the "Big Bad Bullet" :)
Hey guys, I'm glad Roln 20's is planning my future and spending some bucks too
Since you are always so busy, I thought you might like some help-hehe :D :D I can easily help you spend more bucks, just let me know when I can get to work!
Get ready Patrick, if Howard's newest project is smokin, you might have to settle for a killer deal on a 25' open bow (more seating for Amanda's buddies!)
You might be on to something- on her way to the gym, I reminded her about the my personal Howard Rule (just made it up)--thong and pasties..if anything. She said we'll see, but she needs more chicks to be her partners in crime. Open bow may be the ticket:D But until I can find a way to solitify this rule- its all about the Hard Deck...but I'm sure any good deals on your Bullet will peak my interest:D
Roln 20s <---would love to have Mike's new tooling effort too: meow + party = Howard Deck Boat :D

dr. margarita
06-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by GT
Meooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww?
Say it isnt so!
Yup! The wife loves the concept (as long as it comes with a TP700)!:D

dr. margarita
06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Howard Rule
New rap star?:confused:

roln 20s
06-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Yup! The wife loves the concept (as long as it comes with a TP700)!
I can't believe we are having this conversation, well actually yes I can but- what about catalina runs and the cabin for kids? Mike better do my console concept :D
BTW- we all know the new rule will never happen...atleast with anyone around :D
Roln 20s

DogHouse
06-01-2004, 09:24 PM
My next job is to convince you to sell the "little kitty" and get the "Big Bad Bullet" :)
Now why would I want to go and do a silly thing like that? :p
Have they done a 28 with twin 500hp small blocks? That might be fun...

TPI
06-02-2004, 05:59 AM
As far as I know, They havnt done a 28 with twins. Maybe they feel, "Why change something that works so well"? The engine compartment would definately be "busy". I personally like a big single with storage on both sides for bait and tackle.:D

DogHouse
06-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Ah yes, the "fishing" boat, now I remember! :)
I am just thinking of ways to put about 1000 reliable HP in the back of the boat without ever having to worry about exploding outdrives. Bravos and even their upgraded cousins were just never meant for huge power. Tic toc tic toc... :eek:

THOR
06-02-2004, 09:19 AM
GT,
How much are we talking for a n/a 540?

roln 20s
06-02-2004, 08:17 PM
I am just thinking of ways to put about 1000 reliable HP in the back of the boat without ever having to worry about exploding outdrives. Bravos and even their upgraded cousins were just never meant for huge power. Tic toc tic toc...
How many times to I have to suggest this, if I had the dough, I would have done it--put a 1100hp quad rotor or a 1100hp Brummet twin turbo and link it to the dual IMCO drives. One big motor- two drives---thats the ticket. Now...since this is a great idea, no more waiting, call Mike and Gene :D
Roln 20s

DogHouse
06-03-2004, 07:35 AM
How many times to I have to suggest this, if I had the dough, I would have done it--put a 1100hp quad rotor or a 1100hp Brummet twin turbo and link it to the dual IMCO drives. One big motor- two drives---thats the ticket. Now...since this is a great idea, no more waiting, call Mike and Gene :D
Roln 20s
The cost of that dual drive setup alone (no motor) would pay for a pair of custom small block/Bravo1 combos. Might as well get a #6 for that kind of $$$. Guess I better plant a money tree in the back yard!
;)

TPI
06-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by THOR
GT,
How much are we talking for a n/a 540?
Approx $28488.00 complete drop in
On the dual drive: You would rob so much power turning everything, you might as well save your money and build a 900 with a stout drive. It kind of equals itself out. You also have a lot more "stuff" dragging through the water. For it to be worth it. I would do a 1500+ hp 604 ci Quad with 3.3L Blowers, EFI of course. THAT would be worth it. But the valve train on an engine like that needs a lot of TLC. There are so many give and takes with these Big motors, it definatley is tough to choose. IMO 700-800 HP will get you the most true reliability for your buck(s)!

Essex502
06-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by GT
Approx $28488.00 complete drop in
On the dual drive: You would rob so much power turning everything, you might as well save your money and build a 900 with a stout drive. It kind of equals itself out. You also have a lot more "stuff" dragging through the water. For it to be worth it. I would do a 1500+ hp 604 ci Quad with 3.3L Blowers, EFI of course. THAT would be worth it. But the valve train on an engine like that needs a lot of TLC. There are so many give and takes with these Big motors, it definatley is tough to choose. IMO 700-800 HP will get you the most true reliability for your buck(s)!
That price with drive or without drive...I suspect without drive.

powerplay230
06-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Has anyone ever built one of these boats and used a surface drive? Would one even work or is there something too obvious (that I'm missing) to prevent it.
:confused:

TPI
06-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
That price with drive or without drive...I suspect without drive.
Drop in engine only. Add about $14K for a drive and gimbal.

Essex502
06-03-2004, 12:43 PM
If my memory serves me ...that'd be just slightly more than the HP500 with a Bravo XR drive and slightly less than the HP525 with the same drive.
How would Howard handle the purchase of a new 28 Bullet with that combination? Spec it with them and let them deal with you on the specifics?

TPI
06-03-2004, 02:40 PM
The thing is: Howard gives great prices to their customers when they upgrade mercruiser engine packages. It is very hard to compete with that, and honestly, I wont even try. A custom motor takes a lot of time to do right, let alone the EFI portion, and wiring. I think its awesome that you can go into Howard and buy a great boat and not have to worry about overpaying for your mercruiser package. The guys at Howard can predict just about any power/boat speed ratio available. If a customer wants something that I can build and Mercury doesnt offer it, I am confident Howard will steer them my way. They have been very good to me over the years and I will always be faithful to them and their customers.:D

BENZEEN
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dr. margarita
Yup! The wife loves the concept (as long as it comes with a TP700)!:D
Dr. M,
If you are looking to unload your boat, I may be interested. is yours a cuddy-open bow? Also, realisticly, with full load of fuel, 4 people and gear, what kind of speed do you see in the Havasu heat.
-Vik

roln 20s
06-07-2004, 06:57 PM
If you are looking to unload your boat, I may be interested. is yours a cuddy-open bow? Also, realisticly, with full load of fuel, 4 people and gear, what kind of speed do you see in the Havasu heat.
Hey Benzeen- it is the cuddy open bow, I'm 5'11" and fit in there no prob! Awesome boat, I had the opportunity to drive it a couple times. This past weekend, I drove it about 65 GPS from Copper Canyon to Winsor with Tom, and two of his buddies on board- and the Margs- in the rough water-it still had trottle left along with RPMs :D This was with a 24 lab--I think with a 25 lab it'll be push 70! Back in April, With Tom driving, me, and his daughter and her friend, in 18-24" chop, GPS 71 from Sandbar to Channel with a 26 (too much prop IMO). This is one bad ass boat- I'll be buying my boat Bullet in October- been in nearly everything, no better way to go!
Roln 20s

dicudmore
06-07-2004, 08:32 PM
awesome boat.....
I know mine won't keep up w/it

FRENCHIE
06-07-2004, 08:34 PM
i have to say i saw it on saturday at topac and its a real nice ride!;)

dr. margarita
06-07-2004, 08:34 PM
been in nearly everything, no better way to go!
And that's no BS!:D
Not ready to unload this dream boat just yet...The "secret mission" I referred to earlier has nothing to do with me changing to a cat/deckboat. It referred to a way I can afford the motor I want from TPBoats!

dicudmore
06-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I just want a demo ride next trip :D

roln 20s
06-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Frenchie- nice to meet ya, love the shockwave, turned out great. Enjoy that ride.
Dr Marg- clear our your cell's voice mail- all full?
Roln 20s

FRENCHIE
06-07-2004, 08:41 PM
likewise! ;)

dr. margarita
06-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by BENZEEN
Dr. M,
-Vik
Hey Vic, Hot Boat ran it at 73.5mph with a 25lab last October in 100 plus degrees and high humidity. This past weekend (before Roln 20's arrival), I ran 68.5mph with three guys, full 65 gallons of gas, ice chest packed, gear and it was 114 degrees. I was totally surprised! The fastest I've driven the boat is 72mph on a cool winter day with a nicked up 26 lab test prop. I have yet to run this boat unloaded in cool, windy conditions with the right prop. Maybe this winter!

dr. margarita
06-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
i have to say i saw it on saturday at topac and its a real nice ride!;)
Thanks Frenchie! Your boat is primo!

THOR
06-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Hey Vic, Hot Boat ran it at 73.5mph with a 25lab last October in 100 plus degrees and high humidity. This past weekend (before Roln 20's arrival), I ran 68.5mph with three guys, full 65 gallons of gas, ice chest packed, gear and it was 114 degrees. I was totally surprised! The fastest I've driven the boat is 72mph on a cool winter day with a nicked up 26 lab test prop. I have yet to run this boat unloaded in cool, windy conditions with the right prop. Maybe this winter!
You know Dr. Marg, if you want, the next time we meet up, we'll take my labbed 26P off and stick it on your ride to see how you do. I think you can pull it.

BENZEEN
06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info Dr. M. It sounds like the 496HO is the way to go if you want to stick with stock Merc. Power. The efficiency of that hull is incredible.
Roln 20's, thanks for your input as well. It always helps to have as much "real world" input as possible when it comes to boats.
-Vik

Essex502
06-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info Dr. M. It sounds like the 496HO is the way to go if you want to stick with stock Merc. Power. The efficiency of that hull is incredible.
Roln 20's, thanks for your input as well. It always helps to have as much "real world" input as possible when it comes to boats.
-Vik
Benzeen....you going to the Essex Regatta?
To keep the thread on track...I think I'd put a HP500 in the 25 Bullet if I wanted to stay with stock Merc power...Should be good for upper 70's I'd bet. :D

roln 20s
06-08-2004, 11:26 PM
think I'd put a HP500 in the 25 Bullet if I wanted to stay with stock Merc power...Should be good for upper 70's I'd bet.
Great point E502- Tom and I were discussing this today--if you have the cash, the HP500 or HP525 is the ticket. I think in ideal situations, you will see 80 GPS with the HP500, and I know a couple of the HP525s have seen 82-83mph.
Lots of dough, but a great setup. Low to mid 70's with the 496HO and save the 15-18K jump.
I agree with you- the more the better. And when everyone is saying the same good things...you know you are on track.
Roln 20s

TPI
06-09-2004, 05:48 AM
I would pick the 500. Its dialed in and pretty much trouble free. I have just seen to many variables with the 525's performance. Some run hard and some don't, some dont run at all.:confused: Some put so much soot on the back of your boat, it looks like a locomotive. The thing is: That 525 is capable of much more power, but its detuned to be "idiot proof" so people can go out and romp on it with the drive all the way down for a minute or two with there 30'+ boat and it wont lean out and blow up.
Thats why the custom EFI engines are so cool, because you can tune the motor according to the boat's load while at the lake. The 525 computer system is pretty intricate and pretty much locked up where it is. When merc gets all of the bugs worked out of that 525, it will be my new factory favorite.

Essex502
06-09-2004, 07:48 AM
GT - That's pretty much the opinion of a major SoCal engine builder and marine parts reseller that I recently talked to. The HP500 was dialed in and at some future time Mercury would work out the bugs of the HP525.

dr. margarita
06-09-2004, 08:19 AM
You know Dr. Marg, if you want, the next time we meet up, we'll take my labbed 26P off and stick it on your ride to see how you do. I think you can pull it.
Whoa Thor! That's a cool offer. I still want to ask John West who labbed it with cup reduction etc. When are you and the wife going again?

THOR
06-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Whoa Thor! That's a cool offer. I still want to ask John West who labbed it with cup reduction etc. When are you and the wife going again?
I'll be at Havi next Friday night and leaving Monday. 6/18-6/21
I emailed them. When I hear I will PM you the info.

dr. margarita
06-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Primo Thor! I took the liberty of getting a gallon of the Malco cleaner for you. (No sweat if you don't want it, I'll use it!) Only $12.50 per gallon! I ordered two gallons for myself. I'll call you when I receive it. For future product ordering, I purchased it here: http://www.goswac.com/detail.aspx?ID=188

THOR
06-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Primo Thor! I took the liberty of getting a gallon of the Malco cleaner for you. (No sweat if you don't want it, I'll use it!) Only $12.50 per gallon! I ordered two gallons for myself. I'll call you when I receive it. For future product ordering, I purchased it here: http://www.goswac.com/detail.aspx?ID=188
I am all over it. Just let me know the total including the shipping and I will give you the $$$$.
I will be at the Islander. We will beach my boat and take off the prop and you can shoot out there with one gallon of gas, by yourself, no cooler, no anchor, etc and hit a good number. :D

phebus
06-09-2004, 10:16 AM
I am all over it. Just let me know the total including the shipping and I will give you the $$$$.
I will be at the Islander. We will beach my boat and take off the prop and you can shoot out there with one gallon of gas, by yourself, no cooler, no anchor, etc and hit a good number. :D
The boat goes nowhere without a container of Margaritas. Test it as you will drive it. :D

BENZEEN
06-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Benzeen....you going to the Essex Regatta?
To keep the thread on track...I think I'd put a HP500 in the 25 Bullet if I wanted to stay with stock Merc power...Should be good for upper 70's I'd bet. :D
Yes, I am going to the Essex regatta. I have a room booked at the Nautical, ground floor, front and center.
To also stay on track, I think the HP500 would be the motor of choice for me too, however, that boat would be a stretch for me with the 496HO. Besides, my boat barely sees 65mph empty. 68mph with loaded boat would be just fine with me.
-Vik

dr. margarita
06-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Thor, Our next trip out will be the last weekend in June. I'll probably hold off on borrowing your prop later this year maybe in the fall when I can run during a cool morning. We'll obviously get in touch. I'll send you a gallon of the Malco when I receive it or better yet, we can meet for cocktails with the wives.

Essex502
06-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Yes, I am going to the Essex regatta. I have a room booked at the Nautical, ground floor, front and center.
To also stay on track, I think the HP500 would be the motor of choice for me too, however, that boat would be a stretch for me with the 496HO. Besides, my boat barely sees 65mph empty. 68mph with loaded boat would be just fine with me.
-Vik
Your boat should be faster than that...we see the other side of 70 in the Sterling with a 502. Your hull is a faster hull than ours...what are you running for a prop? We are now running a labbed 25P Mirage Plus with great results. I've tried the 24P Bravo 1 with slower speed recorded than my 23P Mirage Plus that came on the boat. I'll bet your hull is similar enough to mine to pull the 25P Mirage just fine and you should see at least 72 mph.

BENZEEN
06-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Your boat should be faster than that...we see the other side of 70 in the Sterling with a 502. Your hull is a faster hull than ours...what are you running for a prop? We are now running a labbed 25P Mirage Plus with great results. I've tried the 24P Bravo 1 with slower speed recorded than my 23P Mirage Plus that came on the boat. I'll bet your hull is similar enough to mine to pull the 25P Mirage just fine and you should see at least 72 mph.
My boat has the 496MAG, not the HO. They sold me the boat with a 22P Bravo 1. That was much too low of a pitch. I was spinning the motor at 5000RPM. So, I asked them to swap me for a 24P, and they refused. I went and bought a 24P, which I like much better. It spins at 4700RPM. It is a bit sluggish out of the hole. My Speedo showed 66MPH with just me and full tanks of fuel. In the Havasu heat and full load, the boat will do 62MPH WOT.
My boat was in the January 2003 issue of Hot Boat. The picture in my signature is a picture from that test, which is also on Essex's website under photo gallery. In that test the boat had the 496HO in it, and the performance numbers are not that impressive.
I bought the boat before the article was released. They swore to me the boat would due 68MPH all day long with the 496MAG. But then again, they said a lot of things.
I will have to GPS the top speed to know for sure. The few times I borrowed one, it didn't seem to be functioning correctly.
See you at the regatta.

mbrown2
06-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Dr Marg, nice meeting you this past week, and nice boat...got to climb around it a little bit, and it is definitely a tight package....an integrated fiberglass innerliner with snap in carpet would definitely be the ticket....
Patrick, nice seeing you again as well, and good luck on your upcoming purchase...

Essex502
06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
My boat has the 496MAG, not the HO. They sold me the boat with a 22P Bravo 1. That was much too low of a pitch. I was spinning the motor at 5000RPM. So, I asked them to swap me for a 24P, and they refused. I went and bought a 24P, which I like much better. It spins at 4700RPM. It is a bit sluggish out of the hole. My Speedo showed 66MPH with just me and full tanks of fuel. In the Havasu heat and full load, the boat will do 62MPH WOT.
My boat was in the January 2003 issue of Hot Boat. The picture in my signature is a picture from that test, which is also on Essex's website under photo gallery. In that test the boat had the 496HO in it, and the performance numbers are not that impressive.
I bought the boat before the article was released. They swore to me the boat would due 68MPH all day long with the 496MAG. But then again, they said a lot of things.
I will have to GPS the top speed to know for sure. The few times I borrowed one, it didn't seem to be functioning correctly.
See you at the regatta.
Hot boat has tested a few Vortex's and the numbers were always better than that. Hmmmm....have you tried a 3 blade Mirage Plus on the boat? It is night and day different than the 4 blade Bravo 1 that I tried and sold.
I've also heard that Mercury claims +/- 10% on any engine delivered HP from stated HP. If yours wasn't tested with the non-HO version you might have one on the lowered end of the scale.
When I GPS my boat, the Gaffrig (by Livorsi) speedo reads 3 mph slower than the GPS for what it's worth.

BENZEEN
06-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Hot boat has tested a few Vortex's and the numbers were always better than that. Hmmmm....have you tried a 3 blade Mirage Plus on the boat? It is night and day different than the 4 blade Bravo 1 that I tried and sold.
I've also heard that Mercury claims +/- 10% on any engine delivered HP from stated HP. If yours wasn't tested with the non-HO version you might have one on the lowered end of the scale.
When I GPS my boat, the Gaffrig (by Livorsi) speedo reads 3 mph slower than the GPS for what it's worth.
I have not tried a Mirage Prop for fear of cavitation out of the hole, and slippage in turns. Does yours work well?
10% is huge! That could be 37 ponies either way. I guess I could have someone dyno it just for the hell of it.
My gauges are pretty accurate. The few times i got a reading on the gps the gauge was with in 1 or 2 mph.
If we hook up at the regatta, I wouldn't mind trying your prop. If that is alright with you.

dr. margarita
06-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Dr Marg, nice meeting you this past week, and nice boat...got to climb around it a little bit, and it is definitely a tight package....an integrated fiberglass innerliner with snap in carpet would definitely be the ticket....
Patrick, nice seeing you again as well, and good luck on your upcoming purchase...
Thanks mbrown. It was a pleasure meeting you as well...I love DCB's. We'll see you out there again soon.

dr. margarita
06-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I was spinning the motor at 5000RPM. So, I asked them to swap me for a 24P, and they refused.sure.
Hey Benzeen. Did you hit the rev limiter at 5000rpm? What was your speed with the 22P?

roln 20s
06-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Like wise-- and thanks. I'll keep all updated with pics once the progress begins.
Roln 20s

Essex502
06-11-2004, 06:10 AM
I have not tried a Mirage Prop for fear of cavitation out of the hole, and slippage in turns. Does yours work well?
10% is huge! That could be 37 ponies either way. I guess I could have someone dyno it just for the hell of it.
My gauges are pretty accurate. The few times i got a reading on the gps the gauge was with in 1 or 2 mph.
If we hook up at the regatta, I wouldn't mind trying your prop. If that is alright with you.
The Mirage Plus 3 blade on the Sterling hull is remarkably better than the Bravo 4 blade. I really disliked the characteristics of the Bravo prop on our boat with the exception that is was a rocket out of the hole and very efficient from a speed to RPM standpoint. It porpoised at almost any ripple or wake and wouldn't take much trim at near WOT without chinewalking. The Mirage is like driving the boat on rails. Rock steady. The Mirage doesn't "hook-up" as good on really sharp turns at high speed as the Bravo but for an all round prop it can be beat on the Sterling (at least with a Mercury prop).
We certainly could work something out with a trial on the prop. I think the 25P labbed might be too much for your combination but it's worth a try. I am also having my 23P Mirage repair - a little rock damage from an unseen obstacle - and that might also be an interesting prop to try.

Essex502
06-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Hey Benzeen. Did you hit the rev limiter at 5000rpm? What was your speed with the 22P?
The "unofficial" Howard Regatta is the same weekend as the Essex Regatta, right? If so, give me a call and maybe we can hook up for dinner or drinks....

DogHouse
06-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey, isn't it about time for version 4.0 of this thread?

roln 20s
06-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey, isn't it about time for version 4.0 of this thread?
The next version will be when I order mine...I know you are gonna watch that buildup everyday and think..."man I really need to get rid of this kitty to buy a bullet." :D :p :wink: :)
Roln 20s

DogHouse
06-15-2004, 08:19 AM
The next version will be when I order mine...
Lookin' forward to it! :cool:
I know you are gonna watch that buildup everyday and think..."man I really need to get rid of this kitty to buy a bullet."
Ok, ok, you convinced me. Find me a buyer and let's get rid of this thing before I can't afford to insure it any more!

BENZEEN
06-15-2004, 09:33 AM
I never hit the rev limiter, even though the tach showed 5000RPM, WOT. The 22P, with full fuel and just me, 63MPH on the speedo.

BENZEEN
06-15-2004, 09:43 AM
The Mirage Plus 3 blade on the Sterling hull is remarkably better than the Bravo 4 blade. I really disliked the characteristics of the Bravo prop on our boat with the exception that is was a rocket out of the hole and very efficient from a speed to RPM standpoint. It porpoised at almost any ripple or wake and wouldn't take much trim at near WOT without chinewalking. The Mirage is like driving the boat on rails. Rock steady. The Mirage doesn't "hook-up" as good on really sharp turns at high speed as the Bravo but for an all round prop it can be beat on the Sterling (at least with a Mercury prop).
We certainly could work something out with a trial on the prop. I think the 25P labbed might be too much for your combination but it's worth a try. I am also having my 23P Mirage repair - a little rock damage from an unseen obstacle - and that might also be an interesting prop to try.
It is interesting that you mention those characteristics about the boat while using the 4 blade. My boat porpoises quite a bit over little stuff unless it is trimmed almost all the way down.
I do like the efficiency at cruising speed, although I have never compared it to a three blade. Mine also tends to rock too much when given trim at WOT.
I think I will give a three blade a try.

rivercrazy
06-15-2004, 10:01 AM
The Bravo 1 is more of a stern lifting prop and the Mirage Plus is more of a bow lifting prop. I bet you would be really happy with the Mirage on that boat

BENZEEN
06-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
The Bravo 1 is more of a stern lifting prop and the Mirage Plus is more of a bow lifting prop. I bet you would be really happy with the Mirage on that boat
Do you know if a prop shop would be able to change that characteristic of the Bravo 1?

rivercrazy
06-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Not too sure. I know they can somewhat modify pitch and add or remove cup for the blade tips. But not sure if that would cause a major change to the handling of the prop. You might give York Prop's a call. That guy really knows his stuff.

roln 20s
06-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok, ok, you convinced me. Find me a buyer and let's get rid of this thing before I can't afford to insure it any more!
Wow-- its about time. Alright, what do want for it...so we can spam it on the website :D
Roln 20s

DogHouse
06-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Wow-- its about time. Alright, what do want for it...so we can spam it on the website :D
Roln 20s
Oh I dunno, 85k or so might convince me to sell it... :D

Essex502
06-17-2004, 06:21 AM
It is interesting that you mention those characteristics about the boat while using the 4 blade. My boat porpoises quite a bit over little stuff unless it is trimmed almost all the way down.
I do like the efficiency at cruising speed, although I have never compared it to a three blade. Mine also tends to rock too much when given trim at WOT.
I think I will give a three blade a try.
Those are the exact handling characteristics I got with the 4 blade Bravo prop. I didn't like them. The efficiency is down a little with the 3 blade compared to the 4 blade...4,000 RPM - 3 blade was about 49 MPH and 4 blade was 51 MPH. (23P versus 24P respectively). The 25P 3 blade 4,000 RPM yielded 53 MPH. We'll be doing a full work-up on the RPM versus MPH before the Essex Regatta.

BENZEEN
06-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Those are the exact handling characteristics I got with the 4 blade Bravo prop. I didn't like them. The efficiency is down a little with the 3 blade compared to the 4 blade...4,000 RPM - 3 blade was about 49 MPH and 4 blade was 51 MPH. (23P versus 24P respectively). The 25P 3 blade 4,000 RPM yielded 53 MPH. We'll be doing a full work-up on the RPM versus MPH before the Essex Regatta.
Post the results of the work-up. I am curious to see the numbers.

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2004, 07:47 AM
So GT, what're you up to these days?
What's going on with that quad rotor motor? :D :D :D

Essex502
07-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Post the results of the work-up. I am curious to see the numbers.
We didn't do any testing during the Regatta weekend...we'll be doing it the weekend of 7/16-18. I'll let you know the results.

TPI
07-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
So GT, what're you up to these days?
What's going on with that quad rotor motor? :D :D :D
MMD,
I have been pretty busy with Fire Dept activities, as well as my front yard renovation. The quad Rotor motor has undergone some changes :D :D :D , It has a "new" look and configuration. You know me, always trying something new.

dr. margarita
07-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Let's get this thread back on track! GT, have you ordered your 28 Bullet yet? How is TPBoats doing?

TPI
07-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Its been on order, but Howard has been buried, and I havnt pushed the subject too much. I have been busy too. The business is doing fine, I am learning a lot about customer service. That should be a thread all by itself. Lets talk about the 28 instead. When I get around to the new boat, it will have a racing look to it. That will be the theme, it is going to be VERY plain, but very classy and cool, with the emphasis on racing. We will still fish out of it of course, but I would like to shatter the 111 mph speed run we made in the 25. I would also like a magazine test driver to do it, just to prove it's not a fluke.:D My wife want's me to build this one to be around for a while. So I will be pulling out all the stops!:D :D

roln 20s
07-10-2004, 08:31 PM
GT-
Sounds awesome- can't wait to see the build and the motor :D I will be at Howard this coming Friday (july 16th) around lunch, not sure if you will be near the area, but if so, stop by. Would love to finally meet ya!
Roln 20s

TPI
07-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Rol'n
It's only a matter of time until we cross paths. I will be working this Fri, so I wont be able too meet up with you. I will be out at Howard soon though, I need to catch up with Gene and Mike.

roln 20s
07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
I look forward to the time when we do cross paths. It will definately have to be before I finalize my graphics, Tom and I have discussed how you should review my thoughts after he perfects them. You know, since it is Bullet #3, we think you are getting good :D
Roln 20s

TPI
07-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Bullet #3 is going to be so plain, its ridiculas. But after having a couple of them I know exactly what is important to us, so it will be built accordingly with no regrets.:D

dicudmore
07-14-2004, 05:37 PM
right on GT look forward to seeing it :D

TPI
07-25-2004, 07:57 AM
I just have to say:
I was at Howard on Fri, and I saw, what I would call, The coolest looking 28 Bullet ever made. They are building a "grey" 28 that is unbelievable. It's even got glittery flake all over it:D . I could not believe how wild this boat was up close and just wanted to share. If anyone get's a chance to go by and check it out, I suggest it. Pictures would not do this boat justice, and its definately NOT for the conservative type. I hope to have something started in the near future, if they ever have a place for little old me in the mold.

FRENCHIE
07-25-2004, 06:29 PM
hey who passed me towing the 25 bullet today around 2:30 p.m.in barstow comin back form the 40-laughlin way???? pulled by white ford f250 or 350?? was that you dr marg?:confused: :D

phebus
07-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Here's Dr, Marg's boat (Tom). It is a beautifull boat!!!
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-5-15991-25bullet.jpg

Essex502
07-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by GT
I just have to say:
I was at Howard on Fri, and I saw, what I would call, The coolest looking 28 Bullet ever made. They are building a "grey" 28 that is unbelievable. It's even got glittery flake all over it:D . I could not believe how wild this boat was up close and just wanted to share. If anyone get's a chance to go by and check it out, I suggest it. Pictures would not do this boat justice, and its definately NOT for the conservative type. I hope to have something started in the near future, if they ever have a place for little old me in the mold.
I almost stopped by Howard on Friday but ran out of time...damn!

FRENCHIE
07-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Here's Dr, Marg's boat (Tom). It is a beautifull boat!!!
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-5-15991-25bullet.jpg
\
no thats not the one i saw...it was very heavy in orange color....almost solid orange across the back transom and below...sides also some orange , and ithink purple...looked nice...maybee not on the boards!!??:confused:

FRENCHIE
07-26-2004, 10:27 AM
i think it should be roln 20's job to find out who this was!!!!;) :p

dicudmore
07-26-2004, 08:13 PM
i think it should be roln 20's job to find out who this was!!!!;) :p
agreed. Patrick, you're being paged :D

DogHouse
07-26-2004, 08:26 PM
\
no thats not the one i saw...it was very heavy in orange color....almost solid orange across the back transom and below...sides also some orange , and ithink purple...looked nice...maybee not on the boards!!??:confused:
Kinda sounds like GT's old boat???
:confused: :cool:

dicudmore
07-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Kinda sounds like GT's old boat???
:confused: :cool:
It does but I thought the old one was orange with gray....

DogHouse
07-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Clearly this is a job for the Howard Slut (tm), come on Roln, help us out here! :D
BTW, good hanging out at Pleasant with you this weekend. Sorry if the ride wasn't quite up to "Bullet" standards... Someday maybe I'll graduate to a real boat! ;)
:cool:

roln 20s
07-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Mostly orange huh? No pic? You can drive and take pictures at the same time right? :) :D It may have been Les John's 28 bullet- this is his boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419Howard_28_Bullet_1-med.jpg
If its not this one, I don't know. I would say that it could have been Mike towing one for delivery, but there wasn't anything being built that matched that description.
BTW, good hanging out at Pleasant with you this weekend. Sorry if the ride wasn't quite up to "Bullet" standards... Someday maybe I'll graduate to a real boat!
Its was a great time-- thanks a lot Brian. The ride was good and fast...but equaling "Bullet" standards is virtually impossible :D j/k
GT- can't wait to see the new boat. I'll try and post some pics of that grey 28 Bullet soon--its going to blow some minds and turn some heads :)
Roln 20s

FRENCHIE
07-27-2004, 08:36 AM
looked like a 25' was on a two axle trailer!!! and as far as pics my camera has a default "block" lens wont open for ...howards!!:( :p

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 09:23 AM
looked like a 25' was on a two axle trailer!!! and as far as pics my camera has a default "block" lens wont open for ...howards!!:( :p
that must be an interesting setting on that camera....
seems to take pics of other brands ok :D
must be the metal flake thing :eek:

phebus
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
That isn't a camera problem. You were just trying to take a picture of Roln's Howard, and the camera couldn't detect it. :D :) :D

TPI
07-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Could this be it? Ive seen a boat like this before?:D Although now it has a carburated big block sticking out of the hatch. It has a black tandem trailer.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=813749

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 03:33 PM
hey thats a nice lookin' Bullet :D
I hear it ran well too :D :D

TPI
07-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
hey thats a nice lookin' Bullet :D
I hear it ran well too :D :D
Man I really miss that boat. But there will be another................ I am working on the engine as we speak. If I can get her to make 2 horsepower per/ cubic inch on 91 octane, the new one should run very well. Getting excited:)

FRENCHIE
07-27-2004, 07:15 PM
that might have been the one!!;)

roln 20s
07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
That isn't a camera problem. You were just trying to take a picture of Roln's Howard, and the camera couldn't detect it. :D :) :D
Hehe-man the only way I'm going to get this talk to end is just buy one...fine, then thats what I will do :D
Roln 20s

DogHouse
07-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by GT
Man I really miss that boat. But there will be another................ I am working on the engine as we speak. If I can get her to make 2 horsepower per/ cubic inch on 91 octane, the new one should run very well. Getting excited:)
It's doable. I have a good friend who's making over 1100 with a 528. Of course it is a hemi. That helps. So do the turbos...

Essex502
07-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Hehe-man the only way I'm going to get this talk to end is just buy one...fine, then thats what I will do :D
Roln 20s
Have you placed the order yet? :D

TPI
07-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse
It's doable. I have a good friend who's making over 1100 with a 528. Of course it is a hemi. That helps. So do the turbos...
Turbo's......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... .........................
Turbos with an EFI? Now that would be a challenge, although there are a few guys out there doing it! I am sold on these whipple/EFI kits and I have made some really good power with them. I almost did a 528 Hemi quad rotor efi for the new 28, but I just couldnt justify the price of the components and the extra weight. I think this 555 EFI will be just fine.:D :D

TPI
07-28-2004, 06:56 AM
OH BTW,
The order is in, I think there is one more 28 in the mold ahead of me, I hope. There are a couple other boats they have to lay up also before my lay up. I hope to have it by the end of September.:D

DogHouse
07-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by GT
Turbo's......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... .........................
Turbos with an EFI?
Yep, that's what it is. Nice setup for sure. Only thing I'm not so sure about is availability of water cooled turbine housings in enough sizes to suit all different applications. I know my friend couldn't find one the right size for what he wanted, so he built some water cooled heat shields instead so he can still run a closed hatch. It'd be nice if there was enough demand for turbo motors that someone would start building the housings again for a reasonable price.

dr. margarita
07-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Now we've got this thread on the right track!!! I agree with you on the grey 28 Bullet GT...smokin boat, it just needs a Taylor Performance motor! Gary, any chance you want to go for a Marg cruise with Roln 20's and I on 8/12 and 13? We can putter around the lake at 70mph:D

TPI
07-29-2004, 03:58 PM
You know what? That sounds great, but a real good fireman friend of mine just got orders from the ARMY, he is going to IRAQ for at least a year. We are throwing him a big party on the 13th. We will be out at Havasu later that week cruising around in a Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................crownline.... ................yah I said it. Picked up a pretty new 202 BR crownline in June for the summer, couldnt go completely boatless. We have it sold at the end of next month, so we can concentrate on the "family race boat"!:D I am so ready for another Bullet, I can hardly stand it.

roln 20s
07-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Have you placed the order yet? :D
Not yet...late fall or winter I will put my order in. As long as I have it around my BDAY (march 30th)--I will be happy. Definately well before the LA Boat Show. We going to order our boats the same day...I think we have more $$$ leverage then:rolleyes: :)
I can only hope :D
Roln 20s

roln 20s
07-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Marg cruise with Roln 20's and I on 8/12 and 13? We can putter around the lake at 70mph
I'm stoked...Gary I wish you could come. Next trip I make to Howard, I make sure you are available to meet up.
Roln 20s

Essex502
08-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Not yet...late fall or winter I will put my order in. As long as I have it around my BDAY (march 30th)--I will be happy. Definately well before the LA Boat Show. We going to order our boats the same day...I think we have more $$$ leverage then:rolleyes: :)
I can only hope :D
Roln 20s
Certain events have to happen before I order the new boat:
1) New house needs to get finished.
2) Existing LHC house needs to get rented or sold.
3) Existing boat needs to get sold.
When those 3 things happen I can order the new boat! Timeframe looks to be end of the year for #1 and then #2 and #3 as quickly as possible.

FRENCHIE
08-02-2004, 08:53 AM
good luck on that!!:eek: :D

dr. margarita
09-01-2004, 03:25 PM
It's time for an update Gary. Talked to Gene the other day and he said you ordered the 28 Bullet. When is it in the mold? How's Taylor Performance doing? How many engines have you built since the 502 that went into the Silver Bullet?

TPI
09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
DM,
Since you opened the door:
The boat is on order. I anticipate taping off the mold in about a week and a half. I am hoping to drill holes in the boat by Nov 1st. Its going to be a tricky gel coat job, so I do not want to get careless at this point. Taylor Performance is doing great. I have been upgrading and rebuilding a lot of existing motors, and selling a lot of aftermarket components, and made some changes to the 600 to get a few more HP. We are making some great changes(for me) with the business. We had the lease papers in our hand for the shop when we found a great new home. I am building a nice shop on the property and I will continue to do my work from there. I have way more work than I could ever want as it is, so this works out great! I decided that I want to continue my passion for building top notch boats/EFI engines, but I want to see my kids grow too. I figured if I was at the fire station and at the shop I would never be at home...........probably not the best for the family. I sort and pick the jobs I want to do. I have had some shady characters call and want motors, and I flat out said no. It's not about the money, there is not very much profit in these EFI engines, for any manufacturer. I just cover costs and account for my labor and that is it. If you look at it in percentages, it maybe a 10%-20% mark up per engine(over dead parts cost). For all the phone calls and headaches you get from an un-trustworthy customer, or someone thats price shopping, it pays to screen your customers and pick your jobs accordingly. It's kind of funny too: These are the same people that will go to Quizno's(for example) and eat fast food for years and pay 500%-1000% mark up and never complain.(LOL) Once again, I build these motors and work on high end custom boats because that is what I want to do with my time. I really do enjoy it.
On another note:
The Hot Boat site has seemed kind of dead for a few months, so I have just been lurking around. It seems to have lost something.

dr. margarita
09-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Sounds great GT!! I know exactly what you mean regarding seeing the family. Congratulations on what sounds like a great new home with a shop that builds primo motors next to it. Can't wait to see the new Bullet graphics and more importantly spending some time with the Taylor family at the river!

roln 20s
09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
GT- check your PM!
Thanks in advance :)
Roln 20s

TPI
09-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Right back at ya.

TPI
09-16-2004, 05:25 AM
The new 28 Bullet is in the mold and under way.

Essex502
09-16-2004, 06:08 AM
We want pictures when it comes out! :D

MagicMtnDan
11-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Hey Gary, what's happening with your boat (and this thread)? :confused:

dr. margarita
11-28-2004, 11:29 AM
I Saw It!!!!! And I Saw No Wood!!!!!

TPI
11-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Still under construction. It will be available for viewing at the LA Show(Its already that time again).

phebus
11-28-2004, 08:49 PM
No sneak previews?? Come on, give it up......... :rollside:

little rowe boat
12-02-2004, 07:05 PM
DM,
On another note:
The Hot Boat site has seemed kind of dead for a few months, so I have just been lurking around. It seems to have lost something.
Yah,it seems to be more of a click or group mentality, and if you are not in the click, you tend to be ignored.( unless you piss someone off)

roln 20s
12-11-2004, 04:28 PM
GT-
saw the new boat yesterday at Howard--looking real nice. Sweet composite construction, no wood at all. Sounds like once again the bar is being raised by you. I heard the motor should put out "decent" power as well :rollside: :D I can't wait to see it once its completed. Keep us up to date with so pics.
Roln 20s

TPI
12-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Howard Bullets and The color ORANGE!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8398
Since this will be the last boat for a while for us, I decided to not hold back on the orange. The pics do NOT show the true depth of the color on this boat. It actually is totally clear coated, with a subtle yellow sunburst fade throughout, with silver pearl. It's very similar to that big Nortec running around, but not as flat of a color. It is very rich up close. That is a lot of area to cover with clear, and I had my reservations, but it turned out very, very nice....................if you like orange. The windshield and swim step is silver metallic.
Stats: This is the first ALL COMPOSITE Howard 28 Bullet, the weight is N/A(but will be). The fiberglass/composite work is immaculate, as usual. It's almost a shame to cover it up with flooring. We could not be happier with our new 28, it looks fast just sitting there.

dicudmore
12-14-2004, 07:47 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8396&stc=1 Howard Bullets and The color ORANGE!
Since this will be the last boat for a while for us, I decided to not hold back on the orange. The pics do NOT show the true depth of the color on this boat. It actually is totally clear coated, with a subtle yellow sunburst fade throughout, with silver pearl. It's very similar to that big Nortec running around, but not as flat of a color. It is very rich up close. That is a lot of area to cover with clear, and I had my reservations, but it turned out very, very nice....................if you like orange. The windshield and swim step is silver metallic.
Stats: This is the first ALL COMPOSITE Howard 28 Bullet, the weight is N/A(but will be). The fiberglass/composite work is immaculate, as usual. It's almost a shame to cover it up with flooring. We could not be happier with our new 28, it looks fast just sitting there.
OK GT how much for a ride?? :cool: :D

TPI
12-14-2004, 07:52 AM
TP1100 EFI:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8399&stc=1
Stats: This is a 555 cubic inch motor, running 9 lbs of boost, on 91 octane. It made 1105 hp at 5900 rpm consistantly on the dyno. This is a Very accurate number, as we made several dyno pulls. We love this combination, and we think our new 28 Bullet will love it too.

Essex502
12-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Very sweet Gary! We hope to be buying a "slot" in the production schedule for ours as soon as the new house closes. We need to talk at that point! I'm not a big fan of orange but the boat looks beautiful!

dr. margarita
12-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Gary, as always, this boat will be stunning. Can't wait to see it complete. Will you have it ready by the show?

TPI
12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes Tom,
It will be on display at the LA show, with lake testing to follow shortly after. It sounds like you got that little idea in motion............Good Luck.

DryHeatOnly
12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
GT - The boat and engine look sweet (I like orange ;) )
I'm not familiar with composite. Is this done on higher end boats? Is it it's own material or is it built up with the 'glass?

TPI
12-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Your right, you will find it on high end boats and factory racing boats. It takes a considerable amount of time to work with, and it can get very expensive. But it is VERY light in comparison to wood, and it does not absorb as much resin as wood will absorb. But most of all, It is VERY strong, which is always a bonus when you are putting a good amount of power to the boat. Normally composite materials consist of synthetic or man made materials, such as: high density foam, carbon fiber, etc.............. Some composite materials are manufactured in Europe, and can take a while to get. We think it is going to make an outstanding handling machine, and I cant wait to get behind the wheel.

mbrown2
12-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Sweet looking boat Gary....I like Orange :)

BENZEEN
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Gary,
How much of the boats weight contributes to the plush ride of that boat? I don't know how much lighter the boat will be in comparison to the previous, but if it is too light, would it not compramise the ride?
By the way, sweet ride, bitchen motor. That thing will be a rocket.

DryHeatOnly
12-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Your right, you will find it on high end boats and factory racing boats. It takes a considerable amount of time to work with, and it can get very expensive. But it is VERY light in comparison to wood, and it does not absorb as much resin as wood will absorb. But most of all, It is VERY strong, which is always a bonus when you are putting a good amount of power to the boat. Normally composite materials consist of synthetic or man made materials, such as: high density foam, carbon fiber, etc.............. Some composite materials are manufactured in Europe, and can take a while to get. We think it is going to make an outstanding handling machine, and I cant wait to get behind the wheel.
Don't make it too light or you'll have to put a spoiler on it for down-force ;)
I'll look forward to seeing it at the show (maybe even on the water). :cool:

TPI
12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
The plush ride of the Bullet is by design. It would take a dramatic weight change to effect the ride. Also, we are not talking about thousands of pounds of weight, more like hundreds. I would like to think of it as losing the dead weight of a few passengers, Which affects the top end by a few mph, and also makes a significant difference in excelleration. There are other bonuses too: Pushing less weight is easier on drives, and we all would love our drives to last as long as possible. How about dry rot? Never going to happen, This boat will not rot or soak up water. How much is that worth alone, especially if you plan on keeping the boat for 10+ years. Its a pretty cool thing...........

TPI
01-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Here is the latest..........................It's coming along well.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8943&stc=1

mbrown2
01-06-2005, 07:23 PM
GT, will it be at the show? Looking good.

roln 20s
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
GT-
Thats bad ass. Any rigging pics yet?
Roln 20s

TPI
01-06-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8959&stc=1

TPI
01-06-2005, 08:07 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8960&stc=1

TPI
01-06-2005, 08:08 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8961&stc=1

MOBrien
01-06-2005, 08:40 PM
:jawdrop: Holy sh*t! :jawdrop:
Well focking done GT! She's an absolute beaut! I love Howards, might just be our next venture in the hopefully not-so-distant future.
Keep the updates coming!

DogHouse
01-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Note to self, don't tangle with this V! :eek:
Very nice indeed!

roln 20s
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Very nice indeed!
Whats up Doghouse- I think that is another way of saying: "I want one, I need a Howard" :) You know I can help you with this, I would never lead a cat guy astray (sp). We need to hit the lake soon, that pic of your kitty haulin ass in New Years was sick--good work.
Roln 20s :) :D

DogHouse
01-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Whats up Doghouse- I think that is another way of saying: "I want one, I need a Howard" :) You know I can help you with this, I would never lead a cat guy astray (sp). We need to hit the lake soon, that pic of your kitty haulin ass in New Years was sick--good work.
Roln 20s :) :D
You must be reading my mind again, ha ha! How much for an open bow 28 Bullet, interior, trailer, no engine/drive? :idea:
Jim took a couple of shots that day, and both came out just great, super clear and high res. The one I posted was reduced by 60% so the original is just phenominal. He also took some good shots of Jimmy's Phantom while he was riding with us. Then he switched boats and took some of the Magic while we tried to scare the hell out of Glenn! :devil: Boat was very loose with the cold air and extra lift.
It's parked for a while, kinda focusing on other projects for the winter. Probably won't head out to the lake again until March or April, whenever we start getting some warm days again.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Man....That is SWEET!!!!!
:wink:

dr. margarita
01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Very nice indeed!
That's funny Doghouse.

dr. margarita
01-07-2005, 10:57 AM
GT, All I can say is WOW!!! I'm a sucker for purity and simplicity when it comes to gelcoat and this boat gets it. Hopefully the interior will be as pure as the exterior. Can't wait to see it and you at the show. Roln 20's and I will be spending alot of time in the Howard booth this year :rolleyes:

djunkie
01-07-2005, 12:47 PM
GT, All I can say is WOW!!! I'm a sucker for purity and simplicity when it comes to gelcoat and this boat gets it. Hopefully the interior will be as pure as the exterior. Can't wait to see it and you at the show. Roln 20's and I will be spending alot of time in the Howard booth this year :rolleyes:
As will I :D

DogHouse
01-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Howard has a booth at the show?

WetWillie
01-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey guys,
Dumb question.... How can one builder make 1100hp with 92 octane and other builders want you to run 110?? I have a Teague 1200 and h wants me to run 110 octane? I have it detuned to 1000hp and he still recommends I run 100 octane. Just asking a question? Have things changed or ??
Boat looks great and so does the motor!!
TP1100 EFI:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8399&stc=1
Stats: This is a 555 cubic inch motor, running 9 lbs of boost, on 91 octane. It made 1105 hp at 5900 rpm consistantly on the dyno. This is a Very accurate number, as we made several dyno pulls. We love this combination, and we think our new 28 Bullet will love it too.

roln 20s
01-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Howard has a booth at the show?
Of course it does, if you dare to enter it will cost you $100K :) hehe
Roln 20s

TPI
01-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey guys,
Dumb question.... How can one builder make 1100hp with 92 octane and other builders want you to run 110?? I have a Teague 1200 and h wants me to run 110 octane? I have it detuned to 1000hp and he still recommends I run 100 octane. Just asking a question? Have things changed or ??
Boat looks great and so does the motor!!
That is not a dumb question at all. As a matter of fact, its a great question! First of all Teague builds a very nice motor, fast, and most of all, RELIABLE, which is huge in this industry. Here is a direct answer to your question:
I am assuming you have a conventional roots style blower with carbs(correct?). If this is the case, they work very well, and have worked well for a long time, but they do build a large amount of heat, which is why you probably have that nice intercooler sandwiched in your motor. The heat, boost, and timing together will be the foundation for setting up the type of fuel you run. Whipple screw type blower's have become another option. You can run them with carburators too if you like. They produce WAY less heat, and their patented cupronickel intercooler dissapates even more heat. I happen to really enjoy setting up EFI engines, and by fine tuning the fuel map of the computer, you can get even More power! Now, since I dont know what is under your hatch, I will just say, that if you have a quad-rotor efi under there, then 110 octane for 1200 HP is NOT out of the question. When I put a few more pounds of boost to this TP1100, it made WELL into the 1200's easily, but I did it on 110 race gas.
Summary: Anything over 1000 HP is a lot of power, and running 110 to achieve a true 1200 is Not abnormal at all?
Kind of long winded, but I hope this helped.

TPI
01-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Wet Willie,
I just looked at the pics of your boat, and I think you have a carburated quad-rotor under there? Still, If I was to run over 1200 Hp in my engines, I would only use 110 octane, their is just too much risk for detination. Boats load themselves differently throughout the day, and high octane fuel is very cheap insurance for all that power.

WetWillie
01-08-2005, 09:17 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/318Bill1Motor.jpg
Its a TCM1200 with a quad charger and innercooler carbed.
I guess I was just wondering. You are currently making 1100hp on 92 octane and I am only making 1000 on 100 octane. 92 is alot easier to find on the water and cheaper of course. I started to notice that more engine builders are trying to make engines that will run on 92 octane for just this reason. I guess my thought was how do you make 1100hp on 92 safely and I couldnt do the same. I have to look but I think you said your motor is EFI correct?
I plan to get the pully from teague to go 1200hp but of course then I am commited to the 110 octane fuel for that day. No were to get it on the water and boy is it more expensive.
So it mostly comes down to insurance correct? I will pay it to keep me from hauling that thing back and fourth to Velencia..
Thanks

TPI
01-08-2005, 04:53 PM
WW,
You will have to ask Bob personally about your motor. I run different heads, cam, and fuel delivery(Those are huge factors). There are so many variables between motors, it's best sometimes to ask the builder himself. Regarding my motor: At 7 lbs of boost it made approx 1040 Hp on 91 Octane, and at approx 9 lbs of boost it made 1105-1112 HP consistantly on 91 octane without any detonation or knocking whatsoever, it also happens to be 555 cubic inches. All of the sensors and exhaust gas readings were all where they needed to be, and I believe the motor is plenty safe here.

dr. margarita
01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
I would like a 35' closed deck.
That makes two of us!!!! I need to motor to Catalina in 25 minutes!!!

SBullet
01-10-2005, 05:23 PM
GT,
That is a beautiful Boat!! :eek:

HCB Bullet
01-11-2005, 03:36 PM
I ran in the long course in the scope poker run in my 28. Went from long beach to catalina, to newport, then back to long beach. I am running a procharged hp500, we ran about 70 the whole way, the boat handled awesome and only burned about 30 gal of fuel.

TPI
01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
I would like a 35' closed deck.
That makes two of us!!!! I need to motor to Catalina in 25 minutes!!!
I'll bet I can make it in way less than that.....................................see you there................................

roln 20s
01-20-2005, 07:40 PM
GT-- the show is in a week...where are the updated pics? Some of us can't wait :)
Roln 20s

TPI
01-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Here are a few pics.............
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9415&stc=1

TPI
01-21-2005, 09:34 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9416&stc=1

TPI
01-21-2005, 09:39 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9417&stc=1

TPI
01-21-2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9418&stc=1

WetWillie
01-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Sweet looking boat Congrates!! ;)

TPI
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Just doing finish work now:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9429&stc=1

TPI
01-22-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9430&stc=1

INSman
01-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Gary, what is the make and model # of the GPS/Chart plotter ? Color ?
Here are a few pics.............
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9415&stc=1

TPI
01-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Gary, what is the make and model # of the GPS/Chart plotter ? Color ?
Its a Garman 178C (Color) GPS,Chartplotter, and you guessed it,"A FISHFINDER" for those big Mohave stripers! If the fish finder does not interest you, then the 174C has the Chartplotter/GPS only and looks identical.

Troubles No More
01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Gary
ThatÂ’s a fine looking boat you got there, are you ready for the show?

TPI
01-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Just fine tuning from here on out. Everything has really come together nice. I am really looking forward to running this boat, and I would really like to take it to the lake before the show, but thats going to have to wait! Is it summer yet? I just cant wait to take it to Mead/Mohave and do THIS................
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9434&stc=1

Essex502
01-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person at the show.

XtrmWakeborder
02-01-2005, 12:25 AM
WOW! I didn't know this boat was owned by a guy on this site. All i can say is that boat was bad! To me, behind the skater, it was the best in show. Very well done on the orange, not too sparkly, and very clean and simple.

TPI
02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
That was a huge complement, and I appreciate that. We love how the boat came out, and we are looking forward to running it.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9638&stc=1

roln 20s
02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
GT- the boat is amazing, the pics do this thing (along with many boats) no good. I'll be back at the show Fri-Sun, hope to see you there.
Roln 20s

roln 20s
02-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Have you ran this thing yet? What are the numbers? Can you feel a difference in ride since the weight is much less (all composite)?
Roln 20s

djunkie
02-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Have you ran this thing yet? What are the numbers? Can you feel a difference in ride since the weight is much less (all composite)?
Roln 20s
Ya and where do we sign up for our free rides. :D J/K I saw the boat at the show and it is a piece of art. That motor looks like a bad mofo too.

TPI
02-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Sorry for the delay. I have not had the boat out yet. I will take it out sometime around the 25th of this month. Max Machine Worx is setting up the drive for me, and that is when I anticipate picking it up. The drive on the boat at the show was dropped by UPS and broken. It was dropped so hard it sheared two 5/16 Stainless steel bolts and broke the upper case. Needless to say, UPS is paying the bill for a new drive, and I will be paying the price of waiting patiently. I have never seen a part packed so well, but it didnt matter. All of the inner wood supports were broken, and the lower nosecone was sticking through the box, and flattened from smashing against the concrete. A lot of carelessness going on over at UPS. I personally will not use them anymore for heavy, and expensive items, and I believe Max Machine Worx will not be either. UPS is just too much of a liability.
On a lighter note...................The anticipation of driving my boat is eating away at me. As far as free rides....................Just bring a gas card, NO Money required! The TP1100EFI is not very fuel efficient, when you are making speed runs! :D

Speedin' Ian
02-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Too bad about the drive, but at least they are taking care of it. Don't be so sure other companies don't make the same mistakes, Fed/Ex and DHL are also run by people and people do make mistakes. I was just reading in the tunnels forum that Eliminator had their boat dropped at a boat show :sqeyes: . If I were you I would do my business with which ever company has the best track record of taking care of their mistakes.
Good luck with the boat, I think a lot of people are excited to see what it does, myself included.

hotlavey
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
My Lavey Brother is getting a little carried away! :) LOL.... F-1 11 currently has a Merc 525, as does it's twin, the Poker Run Addition. They might touch 90 under ideal conditions. I've been in the Poker Run boat into the 80s, w/ 4 adults on board. Great boat!!! I don't know of a modern Lavey that's in triple digits, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. ;) I know of at least one other 2750 that's around 90 right now.
I was talking to Jeff(Lavey pres) at the boat show and he said their new 32 with the twin 600's will top 100. I have a 2750 with a Whippled HP efi that runs in the upper 80's on gps. Don't think I'll ever see 90 tho.

Essex502
03-08-2005, 11:58 AM
So...GT....has it gotten wet yet? Where's the numbers?

TPI
03-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I have been to Havasu twice In the last 8 days..............Ive got twelve hours on it and I love it. Its fast, no question about it. Triple digit speeds are EASILY attained, and they are attained RIGHT NOW! I believe it will go as fast as I want it to go. This boat is so quick I cannot even describe it. I have run triple digits in glass and in todays 1'-2' chop, and I am VERY comfortable in it, and so was my dad(he has no boating experience). My dad just kept saying, "Its just so smooth". It handles everything, and will turn around on a dime. I do not know how Howard isn't backed up for over a year on the production of this hull. For what my family and I do....................This is what I would call a perfect boat.

roln 20s
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Congrats Gary--your Bullet is also a beautiful sight for eyes--just show quality everywhere. We'll be in Havasu next weekend (18-20)--you gonna be there? If so, I think I need a ride :) If not, I think Mike needs to tow it out so I can get a ride :D :)
Enjoy it--
Roln 20s

INSman
03-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I have been to Havasu twice In the last 8 days..............Ive got twelve hours on it and I love it. Its fast, no question about it. Triple digit speeds are EASILY attained, and they are attained RIGHT NOW! I believe it will go as fast as I want it to go. This boat is so quick I cannot even describe it. I have run triple digits in glass and in todays 1'-2' chop, and I am VERY comfortable in it, and so was my dad(he has no boating experience). My dad just kept saying, "Its just so smooth". It handles everything, and will turn around on a dime. I do not know how Howard isn't backed up for over a year on the production of this hull. For what my family and I do....................This is what I would call a perfect boat.
Is the Howard "Commercial" over now !!!! :D :D :D
All kidding aside, congrats and I am sure you will enjoy for a long time !!!

TPI
03-12-2005, 02:00 PM
With me..............The Howard commercial will never end. I am a Howard lifer............But seeing how the title of this thread is what it is, you could pretty much expect to hear nothing but positive things from me. :D :D :D

Essex502
03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Congrats GT!

TPI
03-14-2005, 08:42 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38328deck.JPG

TPI
03-14-2005, 08:44 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/383day1282m.JPG

BLOWN HOWARD
03-14-2005, 09:24 PM
So what kind of numbers did she put up????

TPI
03-17-2005, 06:28 AM
The boat is running WELL into the triple digits, without much effort. The main focus here is the handling/stability. It handles like a dream, and the stability is so nice when you are running over 100 mph for SEVERAL MILES at a time! I am taking somewhat of a conservative role in breaking in the new boat and not abusing it. Believe me, this boat is capable of a lot more...............and so far, I feel we are just kissing the surface of what it is capable of. http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383windsor1.JPG

TPI
03-17-2005, 06:30 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3831mudhavasusprings.JPG

BLOWN HOWARD
03-17-2005, 10:58 AM
So what do you think the final result will be as far as numbers say around 118 or so?????

TPI
03-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Top speed will depend on several factors:
Atmospheric Conditions
Water conditions
Prop choice
A long stretch of water
Money $$$$$
With all of the above in place, I think the boat could safely run 113-115 mph or so. Its not very far off that now, with it's current set up.We are focusing on handling/stability as a #1 priority, and its right there. As of now, its propped for everything: Holeshot(Good for innertubing), accelleration, and speed. When you go for the all out speed run only, you usually have to sacrifice other things, and I want everything as a package, so we are very happy. Most of the magazine publications would like to see the boat set up to do do everything also, so if there are any tests done on the boat, it needs to be versatile. Some of these record setting V's with multiple motors/drives take miles and miles to get up to speed.......................No thanks........I think what the Consumer needs to really know is, how well will it do everything with one set up. This boat will do everything, easily...........with speed and stability to spare. That's nice, we are ready for Summer.

TPI
03-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I plan on ordering this thing in October, November at the latest. The reason for this time table is I want Mike and Gene to use mine at the LA Boat Show in '05. I will be getting a 25 Bullet, hard deck, and for Power- Dr Marg's 496HO and drive.
This is contingent on a fews things, but right now, it looks real good. I can't wait.
Oh, and to answer the next question- Dr Marg will be "upgrading" to something with a little more power, I know GT will be getting a call.
GT- I have a few questions about the boat and hard deck version- I'll give you a call sometime.
Roln 20s
I had to go back almost a year for this quote. Roln, When did you place the order? I missed it? :) Also: Dr Marg, The TP700EFI is almost done, its all pewter and polished...FYI: I will dyno it next month...................................Took a break to run this orange boat, but I am back on track to finish it up now.

phebus
03-19-2005, 08:06 AM
In defense of Roln20's, and Dr. Marg, they invested a lot of time and money in their new Bling Engine Covers. Hopefully they will take off, as they are a quality attractive piece that really does a lot to dress up the 496 engine, and give your boat that custom look a custom boat should have.

TPI
03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Yes, they have developed a nice product. I just felt like rustling their feathers a bit, and bringing them into the thread again. Seeing how dr marg started this thing a year ago.

djunkie
03-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey GT I have a couple questions for you about your motors. I'll shoot you a pm right now.

roln 20s
03-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks for living this thing up again GT--you may be in Parker right now for the Powerboat trials---but you can respond when you get back. I talked to Gene again the other day...I told him I was ready to buy and my price--FREE...I think he needed to think on it, he hasn't called me back :) In actuality, I did talk to Gene about anything new him and Mike want to try so that I can be a test person like you---composite is definately on my PRIORITY list. I'm not sure about this motor thing--I want Tom's HO to save some serious $$$$ and advertise the main boat bling product, yet I want a custom motor to haul ass and get to spots sooner to talk to people about Boat Bling. Tough call, actually its easy, Gene gives me a price and I say yes of no, and this process continues until I can say YES. Boat Bling is doing great, the new Flame and Magic models are almost completed and ready to be shipped and are nearly SOLD OUT. Thats great. Many other products are on our drawing boards. Whenever I make the move, I'm sure Tom is ready. Between us (any everyone else on the boards), I expect for Tom to look hard at the new Howard Deckboat. If so...that definately has your motor written all over it.
The day will come when Tom gets his HP and I get my Bullet...but once this happens, what is everyone else going to talk about around here. According to Kilrtoy-- I'm the board's biggest TIRE KICKER :D :)
Thanks for reminding me to order my boat...I almost forgot :) :)
Roln 20s

TPI
03-23-2005, 06:31 AM
I am glad your business is moving forward well. I am headed to Parker for the Powerboat 100+ mph Round up today. I will be back Thurs night. Take care..........................Gary
Also: Great Deal:
Before summer(2 months) I will be selling my Quad-Rotor kit. I am going to make someone a hell of a deal on it. As you can imagine, its immaculate, and works flawlessly. There are no problems with it whatsoever. The kit will have under 30 hrs total. I will be selling:
Both Polished Whipple superchargers
Both Throttle bodies/linkage, air cleaners, and TPS
Both air by passes
8 96 lb injectors(perfect for 500+ cubic inches)
idler assembly
4 upper pullies
Lower 3 groove Blower hub
The buyer will need to purchase all other necessary components(which I can provide NEW at a great price if you like). These kits are rarely available used, and they make great power. PM me, or e-mail me if your interested: www.TPBOATS.com
We will be converting the current motor to a TP900EFI in the boat(just a blower change). I wanted to see how the boat would run with that set up. I said I would not be selling the boat, but I never said I wouldnt change motors. :notam:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383QsalepicJPG.jpg

FASTERDAMITT
03-23-2005, 08:19 AM
GT,
You and I both have been in some fast V's and cats. I'm going from a 100+ cat to a 30' V in the same catagory. I was wondering since we seem to be a rare breed with the cat trend, what was your deciding factor to go with a V instead of a cat? :cool:
Tom

TPI
03-23-2005, 09:18 AM
For me,
I like versatility. It seems to me that I can get more out of my 28 Bullet than a cat. My boat can pull tubes easily, there is a lot of storage space, it turns around at 70 mph+ and I can still run over 100 mph if I want, and slow down relatively quick if I need too. I just feel like cats go fast in a reliatively straight line(which is what they were designed to do), and my family and I need more out of our performance boat than that. Deckboats are very cool, but am very happy with what we have. Also, Its the combination too. You cant just take any V and put 900+ HP and floor it in the glass. Thats the key. Make it handle in the glass, and you have something special. This composite 28 Bullet will run over 100 mph in the glass as long as you want to go(get your gas card), with one hand on the wheel. With the development of 900+ hp EFI/whipple blown motors, reliable and smooth shifting/idling power is available to just about anyone that wants to pay for it. Bottom Line: It has taken a ton of R&D to produce a V-bottom that can do so many things that are on my list. It is available to the public, and you are going to pay for it. This kind of technology is not cheap. But if you are one of those enthusiasts that are into this sort of thing, than it is worth every penny(IMO).
Everyone has a list of objectives for their boating, and there are enough choices in the industry to satisfy everyones needs(both financial and Performance).

FASTERDAMITT
03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
I hear ya GT. Versatility is one of the big factors for me also. There's a few times when I wish I had a little more room under the bow when I had the A/O. My goal now it to be able to run as fast as I want in the Havasu afternoon chop without letting up. The cat was awsome but you can't get big air with one without that blowover going through your mind. Even so I still drove it hard. With the 30' Superboat I should be in the upper 90's, which I think I'll be comfortable with, knowing I most likely won't have to let up in the ruff. We'll see, ya know how we are with motors and speed, always wanting more.
Why the 25 and not the 28 Howard? I considered the 28 for awhile , but I had to be different. I will have the only Superboat Y2K west of Texas. For a while.

roln 20s
03-23-2005, 06:18 PM
FasterD--actually Gary's boat is the 28. His two older ones were the 25s.
News Flash--I'm headin' to Parker at 6am tomorrow to meet up with Gary and Gene for the Powerboat Trials--and if I'm lucky, I'll get to ride in this beauty.
I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks for the good business words Gary.
Roln 20s

FASTERDAMITT
03-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok, I thought I read somewhere he liked the 25 better. My mistake. Nice boats those Howards are. When I get my boat it would be interesting to do a ride in both for the side by side comparo.

roln 20s
03-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Well...what a test day to take off of work. Parker was sweet...and the boat ride was even better. There was some nice hardware out there, including the 33 Elim Daytona from the LA Boat Show and Gary's 28 Bullet. Gary and I ran it about 10am this morning at 106+mph, with some left. We were not too familiar with the Parker strip and at 100+, land and turns come fast :) Bob Teague drove it around noon for the Powerboat shootout...he was extremely impressed (this is a huge understatement, some of the statements he made to Gary were just flattering and jaw dropping, he can explain sometime later if he chooses). Bob's number in smooth water was over 110mph GPS--and it may have a few left in ideal conditions. A great showing for Howard and Taylor Performance. A truely amazing package that pictures do NO justice for.
Congrats again Gary--great work and thanks for the ride.
Roln 20s

TPI
03-24-2005, 08:27 PM
We had a great day today in Parker. The boat runs very well. I have my opinions on the boat and you all know them. I look forward to the article in Powerboat Magazine.The people from Powerboat are a class act, and they were very well organized. My dad and I were both very impressed with their operation. Roln, I will give you a longer /better ride soon. Thanks for all the help again, I do appreciate it.

dr. margarita
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Congratulations on a tremendous end result Gary! I want to get in line for a ride. The photos you've taken of the orange beauty are fantastic. I'm working my ass off to get to the point where I can call you and say, "Gary, 700EFI and a drive please!" No one else will get that call.

TPI
03-30-2005, 07:35 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383parkerpic1.JPG
Tom,
I will be ready when you are. When you see this TP700, you will want it, I know it. :D

TPI
04-19-2005, 07:06 AM
We just returned from Havasu last night, from the Hot Boat Magazine "first impression" evaluation of the Composite 28 Bullet. It was one of those days(Monday 4-18-04) that when you pull up to the marina, you are wondering if you should even put your boat on the lake(IMO). Definately not ideal for testing your top speed(safely), but a good test to see if your boat is going to rattle and fall apart(laughing). The temp was approx 90 degrees, with 2+ foot wind chop, with multi directional winds at 25+ mph, and that occasional 3+ foot roller that comes out of nowhere(you gotta love that). As usual the water was at its best during the helicopter photos, and got progressively worse as the day got long. My wife and I took the boat out in the nasty water prior to the test, and I was thoroughly impressed with the handling and stability in those "realistic" lake conditions. I ran it up into the triple digits on multiple occasions and found the boat to be very friendly at those speeds..................But the water was not...........Huge Side wind gusts scare the crap out of me, almost as much as the mystery "rogue wave". I felt like I was holding back a race horse that wanted to run..............but the water/wind really had me nervous. This was also my wifes first time in the boat(nice guy huh?). By the time the Evaluation started, the weather was at its worst of the day(5:30PM). All I could think was..............The conditions are horrible, and They have never even been in my boat(I have almost 20 hrs of seat time in it). I gave it to them with 50 gallons of fuel. I honestly did not know what to expect, with regard to speed, and I was VERY pleased to recall the GPS when they returned to see the needle resting on 107 mph. They had 10 minutes to become familiar with my boat, and then drive it hard. All I kept hearing was...........This is an unbelievable boat(which is great to hear). The Hot Boat staff took very good care of my wife and I, and they took very good care of our boat, in the worst possible conditions for an evaluation. I want to personally thank everone from Hot Boat Magazine. Thanks........ More to come on this..............................
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38328***boatmail2.jpg

TPI
04-19-2005, 07:10 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/38328***boatmail1.jpg

Essex502
04-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Congrats Gary! Sounds like you have an awesome boat there! Hope mine is as nice (without the composite hull) when it's done.

TPI
04-19-2005, 09:17 AM
E502.................I am sure yours will do whatever you want it to do. Other than the quickness..............I cannot tell the difference between the two hulls.................and How much of that quickness is coming from 1000+ ft/lbs of torque at 3500 rpm's? Probably a bit. I think a guy could really tell the difference with 500-700 HP. The composte hull is a nice option for the all out high performance enthusiast...........I think.

Essex502
04-19-2005, 09:25 AM
E502.................I am sure yours will do whatever you want it to do. Other than the quickness..............I cannot tell the difference between the two hulls.................and How much of that quickness is coming from 1000+ ft/lbs of torque at 3500 rpm's? Probably a bit. I think a guy could really tell the difference with 500-700 HP. The composte hull is a nice option for the all out high performance enthusiast...........I think.
We ordered it with the HP525 and maybe a Whipple is in its future in a couple of years. May timeframe for going into the mold. We're not the "all out high performance enthusiasts" that some are. However, we will be driving this boat hard at times.

TPI
04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I get a lot of phone calls and e-mails regarding the difference between the two hull lay up's. 9 out of 10 people describe a need for a good, fast, stable hull for the family, that is going to take an occassional rough water beating. To those people I would suggest a standard lay up. For the rare but existing high performance boater that is super meticulus, and wants quite a bit of speed from a given horsepower motor and likes cool different stuff. I say, buy a composite Bullet. It also makes a great conversation piece at the Sandbar or in the channel. Its just another choice for the consumer............
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/383comp1.JPG

TPI
04-19-2005, 10:19 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Speedo28.JPG

mbrown2
04-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Sounds like another great boat Gary....so when does this one go for sale? :)

SBullet
04-19-2005, 10:53 AM
GT,
Good to hear that beast ran awesome out in Havasu!! :D

TPI
04-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Sounds like another great boat Gary....so when does this one go for sale? :)
You know that saying..............."Everything is for sale"? This boat is NOT for sale. I cannot imagine having anything else. The key is, I have to catch a bigger bass out of this Bullet, then the old(2002) 25 Bullet. That is going to be tough.............................

mbrown2
04-19-2005, 01:13 PM
The key is, I have to catch a bigger bass out of this Bullet, then the old(2002) 25 Bullet. That is going to be tough.............................
LMAO....I want some more fishing pix... ;)

TPI
04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
LMAO....I want some more fishing pix... ;)
This is how it all started....................This one is going to be tough to beat!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38317383abass.jpg

Essex502
04-19-2005, 02:08 PM
That is one funny picture!

ChumpChange
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
This is how it all started....................This one is going to be tough to beat!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38317383abass.jpg
Wow. You fish off that boat? I don't think I'll ever let a pole or fish get near mine.

TPI
04-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I hav'nt fished off of it yet...........................I have had some difficulty nutting up to mount the transducer on my transom for the fishfinder. That bass was caught from this little beauty............................
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38325-bullett-6.jpg

TPI
04-20-2005, 05:05 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38328garmenmail.JPG

TPI
04-20-2005, 05:15 AM
This Max machine Worx 900 XR Drive has been a champion. It has been run hard for close to 20 hrs. The guys at MMW have been very supportive and have serviced this drive for me personally, while I was in Havasu testing. They also educated me about their shafts and awesome gear set modifications. This is the ONLY way to go(IMO) if you are going to run an XR drive. 20 hard tested hours behind 1105 horsepower..............Not Bad. For inquiring minds, they are located off Kiowa, in Lake Havasu AZ.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/383mmwmail.JPG

Essex502
04-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Got to spend a little time admiring that beautiful boat last Friday over at Howard. Sweet!

TPI
04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks,
At this point in time, I am contemplating putting 4-6 more lbs of boost to it, changing props, and looking for a nice stretch of water mid week to run it up to speed. It would be interesting if nothing else. I am confident the boat/motor will handle the speed, I am just looking for a good reason to justify it. I will be converting this motor to a TP900 and a flat hatch(sleeper), probably before the regatta(July) and I want to make sure I have accomplished all of my 110+ mph goals proir to the conversion. We will see........I just want to drive it again!