PDA

View Full Version : Pool Underlayment

harleypauls
05-25-2004, 01:27 PM
I have an above ground soft side pool, and this year I am having concrete poured where it is going to sit. I am wanting to put some cushion/barrier between the concrete and the pool liner. I was thinking of using the interlocking floor foam that Sam's club sells, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. The pool is 21' round with aluminum poles about every 4 to 5 feet.
Any help will be appreciated. Paul

v-drive
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Years ago when I did this I lined the bottom with a very fine sand. It worked great, and didn't collapse or push away.
Just my .02...............v-drive

BROS&HOS
05-25-2004, 02:01 PM
we used to have a 9' x 17' splash above ground pool. We basically made a made a 9' x 17' sand box with a 3' wide concrete border for the supports to sit on. Worked really well.

91nordic29
05-25-2004, 02:02 PM
i think that sand is the norm.:cool:

harleypauls
05-25-2004, 02:08 PM
I appreciate the replies.
Do you see anything wrong with the foam squares. they are supposed to be for exterior. Do you think they can handle the weight of the water? When I called the pool place, they seemed to think it would be good. Kind of felt like they liked the idea, but hadn't heard or seen it done.
I really don't want sand, because I would like a "soft" floor, well as soft as it can be.
Paul

BROS&HOS
05-25-2004, 02:18 PM
the sand is pretty soft. It felt like walking on one of those little stress balls.

Scream
05-25-2004, 02:24 PM
The only thing I can think of regarding the foam is, when it gets wet, and it will, without the benefit of drying and sunlight, it'll begin to grow and stink. This moss/growth/algae/muck will eat away at your vinyl and kill your pool. Sand works because it drains away and doesn't stay wet next to the vinyl. I've got a vinyl lined inground pool. Looks just like a regular pool but its slippery...water gets underneath and starts molding and makes the vinyl look dirty all the time.
Just my .02
Scream

NashvilleBound
05-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Use the good river sand, or yellow fill (better)if its available close to you, both should be available at your local construction supply place. Make sure you wet it down for compaction so its not real loose and fluffy. We always pour concrete under it so the rodents dont mess it up too bad. then cover it with thick plastic for a wear barrier against your pool liner. Always go out about a foot extra so it doesn't sluff off next to the pool. Good Luck.
NB