PDA

View Full Version : Just another stereo question

fear the turtle
05-27-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi all, need help troubleshooting a problem or where to start looking. I have a very simple set up in my boat(understatement ;) ) pioneer deck and 4 6x9's. Anyways we were just sitting at the beach listening to tunes and after about 30 minutes the right side speakers(front and back) start crackling. The radio wasn't that loud that I thought the speakers blew, but I changed them anyways and it still does it anytime I try to turn the volume up to a decent level. I have the same speakers on the othe side and when I turn only them on they can handle it no problems. So any tips why just the one side is bad, is it in the deck(maybe something overheated and fried?) or can wires go bad, should I run a new set? Thanks for any tips...
Also got a battery question. I run two batteries and a perko. Both positives go to the perko switch and on battery #1 the negative is grounded to the engine block and on Battery #2 the negative runs to the negative post on battery#1, is this right?

ROZ
05-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by fear the turtle
Hi all, need help troubleshooting a problem or where to start looking. I have a very simple set up in my boat(understatement ;) ) pioneer deck and 4 6x9's. Anyways we were just sitting at the beach listening to tunes and after about 30 minutes the right side speakers(front and back) start crackling. The radio wasn't that loud that I thought the speakers blew, but I changed them anyways and it still does it anytime I try to turn the volume up to a decent level. I have the same speakers on the othe side and when I turn only them on they can handle it no problems. So any tips why just the one side is bad, is it in the deck(maybe something overheated and fried?) or can wires go bad, should I run a new set? Thanks for any tips...
Is it a Kenwood?
Could be cold solder joints on the outputs or an IC about to go out and clips at a point when the volume is turned up...
Also got a battery question. I run two batteries and a perko. Both positives go to the perko switch and on battery #1 the negative is grounded to the engine block and on Battery #2 the negative runs to the negative post on battery#1, is this right? There are a couple ways they could have done this, but yes it is correct.

riverbound
05-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Most likely your deck is bad.

fear the turtle
05-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Is it a Kenwood?
It's a pioneer deck...nothing special. Just hoping for a magical easy fix. :D
Sorry, but I'm not radio smart in anyway, I planned on an upgrade in the offseason(add an amp and two subs), do you think if I ran the speakers through an amp that would bypass the problem? Making the head still usable or just move on to a new one and chalk it up as you get what you pay for.

ROZ
05-27-2004, 10:19 AM
It's a pioneer deck...nothing special. Just hoping for a magical easy fix. :D
Sorry, but I'm not radio smart in anyway, I planned on an upgrade in the offseason(add an amp and two subs), do you think if I ran the speakers through an amp that would bypass the problem? Making the head still usable or just move on to a new one and chalk it up as you get what you pay for.
The reason I asked if it was a Kenwood is that one some Kenwood models the harness flexes at the radio where the plug goes in and the solder joints are sometimes weak and crack....
There is a possibility that by going to line outputs that you may not experience the problem, but it really depends on where exactly the problem on the board(s) is.... Easy fix is to replace it with a new headunit. You could try the amp route 1st to justify the amp purchase to the wife :D ;) ...

fear the turtle
05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
You could try the amp route 1st to justify the amp purchase to the wife :D ;) ...
:D:idea2: :D
Although, she's not really a hard sell. She likes to go bump more then me. I'm more Springsteen, she's more "Shake ya Azz"
Thanks for the help.

Mr. Naudio
05-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Would run new wire over first just like over seat or somthing b,line just to rule that out before i bout anything new.
Also unplug one of them at a time and then the other and see what happens.

ROZ
05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
Would run new wire over first just like over seat or somthing b,line just to rule that out before i bout anything new.
Also unplug one of them at a time and then the other and see what happens. i would have suggested the same troubleshooting technique, but the fact that it's both channels on the same side that are clipping wound lead me to believe the problem is internal. Worth a try though:D i sure as hell wouldn't want to spend any more money than I had to either ;) :p :D