PDA

View Full Version : so what weighs more...

hoolign
05-27-2004, 08:59 PM
a 200 foot column of water in a 3' wide tube..
or a 200 foot column of water in a 40 ' wide tube? quiet you mathematicians! :p

Mandelon
05-27-2004, 09:03 PM
It sure sounds like a trick question. I picture this like two grain silos side by side. Same height, but one is 40' in diameter and one is only 3' in diameter????
They are both filled with water.....which one weighs more? Is this the right image?

Kilrtoy
05-27-2004, 09:04 PM
I would have to say the fourty foot tube,
but you left out if they were equally filled

ratso
05-27-2004, 09:05 PM
weighs the same.

Mandelon
05-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Who cares? :D :D

hoolign
05-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I would have to say the fourty foot tube,
but you left out if they were equally filled
no I did not..a 200 foot column of water!

hoolign
05-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ratso
weighs the same.
yup...hydrostatic pressure relys on two constants,,weight of fluid..and height of column....buy this man a beer:D

hoolign
05-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
HOW CAN YOU FILL IT WITH WATER IF ITS FILLED WIHT GRAIN:D
oatmeal?????

ratso
05-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Who cares? :D :D
I do because I won't be able to sleep tonight...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mandelon
05-27-2004, 09:09 PM
But the volume is so much more.....? It could be 1000 feet across and not weigh more than the 3' wide tube????? :confused:
A pint's a pound the world round................;)

iparky
05-27-2004, 09:11 PM
I disagree, they would have the same amount of pressure at the base, but. if they where set upon a scale then the wider column would weigh more. the key wieght, not how much pressure.:wink:

Mandelon
05-27-2004, 09:15 PM
So the pressure against the side walls are the same at any circumfrence of equal height......but more water has to weigh more......

NorCal Gameshow
05-27-2004, 09:15 PM
the 40' would weigh more....
the psi would be the same...
water weighs 62.4 lbs. per cubic foot

Kilrtoy
05-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Who cares
I dont
But some one who monitors this would.....

hoolign
05-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by iparky
I disagree, they would have the same amount of pressure at the base, but. if they where set upon a scale then the wider column would weigh more. the key wieght, not how much pressure.:wink:
but that would not be relative in the calculation of "hydrostatic pressure" which is defined as the weight of a standing column of fluid

hoolign
05-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
the 40' would weigh more....
the psi would be the same...
water weighs 62.4 lbs. per cubic foot
negative

Mandelon
05-27-2004, 09:22 PM
But that's sneaky. We think of "weight" as how much something setting on a scale would actually read out in pounds or kilos.
Weight in this application is "hydrostatic pressure"???
You are a trickster grasshoppa!!!
:cool:

iparky
05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
hoolign,
I believe that is 3 of us to 1 of you.
that means you loose, and we win or
you are wrong.

NorCal Gameshow
05-27-2004, 09:26 PM
i'll carry the column that has 12"diameter and is 12" tall
and you can carry the one that has a 12" diameter and is 20 feet tall ;) :D

Tom Brown
05-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by hoolign
....buy this man a beer:D
... and then figure out it's weight if you put it in a two cubic foot box surrounded in styrofoam and filled with ice.

sorry dog
05-28-2004, 02:08 AM
... and then figure out it's weight if you put it in a two cubic foot box surrounded in styrofoam and filled with ice.
Versus the weight of silicone breast implant in the same box...

Nubbs
05-28-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by iparky
hoolign,
I believe that is 3 of us to 1 of you.
that means you loose, and we win or
you are wrong.
Make it 4 to 1.

hoolign
05-28-2004, 07:27 PM
4 wrong people to one correct person:p

Dr. Eagle
05-28-2004, 07:32 PM
They don't weigh the same but they do have the same hydrostatic pressure at the bottom (well all the way up at equal locations).
The volume of the water in one would be far greater than the volume of the other. Therefore a larger liquid volume would weigh more than the smaller one...... not rocket science..... LOL;)

hoolign
05-28-2004, 07:36 PM
The pressure at any point in a column of fluid caused by the weight of fluid above that point. Controlling the hydrostatic pressure of a mud column is a critical part of mud engineering. Mud weight must be monitored and adjusted to always stay within the limits imposed by the drilling situation. Sufficient hydrostatic pressure (mud weight) is necessary to prevent an influx of fluids from downhole, but excessive pressure must also be avoided to prevent creation of hydraulic fractures in the formation, which would cause lost circulation. Hydrostatic pressure is calculated from mud weight and true vertical depth as follows:
Hydrostatic pressure, psi = 0.052 x Mud weight, lbm/gal x True Vertical Depth, ft.

little rowe boat
05-28-2004, 09:29 PM
The pressure at the bottom is the same.434 psi per foot of elevation..434 x 200' = 86.8 psi at the base.

Nubbs
05-28-2004, 10:11 PM
The pressure at any point in a column of fluid caused by the weight of fluid above that point. Controlling the hydrostatic pressure of a mud column is a critical part of mud engineering. Mud weight must be monitored and adjusted to always stay within the limits imposed by the drilling situation. Sufficient hydrostatic pressure (mud weight) is necessary to prevent an influx of fluids from downhole, but excessive pressure must also be avoided to prevent creation of hydraulic fractures in the formation, which would cause lost circulation. Hydrostatic pressure is calculated from mud weight and true vertical depth as follows:
Hydrostatic pressure, psi = 0.052 x Mud weight, lbm/gal x True Vertical Depth, ft.
You may have your industry slang for weight. But weight is a force, not a pressure. As we all know, pressure times area gives force. The larger area will have more force, so the larger diameter tube will have the more weight.:) And that's the bottom line.:D

clownpuncher
05-29-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
The pressure at the bottom is the same.434 psi per foot of elevation..434 x 200' = 86.8 psi at the base.
I'm thinking I know what you do for the FD. :D

little rowe boat
05-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
I'm thinking I know what you do for the FD. :D
Is it that obvious?

mickeyfinn
05-29-2004, 01:33 PM
The original question did ask which "weighs more". Definitely the larger volume. Don't need to be a math major to figure that one out. Put that column of water in a pipe and add some fittings and valves and some friction co-efficients and then calculate head at a given flow rate and then ask your questions.
As for the question you asked you got the correct results from others. The larger column weighs more and they have equal Pressure measured at the bottom (or anywere else for that matter, as long as it is the same level from the top) of the column.

King Kuracz
05-29-2004, 04:04 PM
You asked for "weight".
Next time you want hydrostatic pressure ask for it, don't ask for weight.
The larger column will have more gallons which equals more "weight", not fu(king pressure.
My physics professor says you're an idiot!

Tom Brown
05-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by King Kuracz
My physics professor could beat up your physics professor.

PHX ATC
05-29-2004, 05:20 PM
You asked for "weight".
The larger column will have more gallons which equals more "weight", not fu(king pressure.
What he said, just with a little less flowerful language.:D Not that I have a problem with it, just that I might be talking to a 6'4" really big dude who could outweigh and outhydrostaticpressure my ass!:eek:
I would say weight and hydro static pressure are 2 different forms of measurement. Water weighs what, between 5 and 7 pounds per gallon? So, you simply have more water in the larger diameter tube, thus more weight. Now, H20static pressure, I have not a clue how to calculate that.

mickeyfinn
05-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Water weighs 8.34lbs/gallon. volume of a cylinder is 3.14*Radius sqared*depth. One cubic foot of water equals 8.34 gallons
Hydrostatic pressure is simply depth*.433=PSI.
3.14*1.5*1.5*200*7.48*8.34=88147.4616 lbs
3.14*20*20*200*7.48*8.34=15670659.84lbs
200*.433=86.6 PSI in either case when measured at the bottom.
To get back to weight then just figure square inches.
For the 3 foot tube:
3.14*18*18=1017.36 square inches
1017.36*86.6PSI=88103.376lbs.
Slight difference in numbers due to rounding in the constants used.
Either way it is two different measurements. If you want weight then you get pounds or some other unit.
If you want pressure then you get some unit of measure per unit of area.

King Kuracz
05-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
My physics professor could beat up your physics professor.
I don't doubt that for a minute.

hoolign
05-29-2004, 05:54 PM
You asked for "weight".
easy there junior, i could probaly tie you and your prof in a knot..now that the retalitory come back is out of the way
so much for posting under the influence!:p
secondly. where does it show that i am asking for weight? re - read the post, the question was , which weighs more, as for needing someone to give me hydrostatic pressure, I work in the oil patch so I do that every single day while earning more than your prof.
now that your reading skills have become an issue..it actually should have read.. which has more pressure!..to have made this a simple post! I apologize for my intoxication leading you to hop up on the big chair and hollar
y

Tom Brown
05-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey Hoolign, my physics professor says he can out drink you.

carreraelite
05-29-2004, 06:00 PM
If you look at it this way,the 40X200 would hold more water than a 3X200, then the 40x200 would weigh more because it holds more water!!

hoolign
05-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Hey Hoolign, my physics professor says he can out drink you.
how tall are the bottles and are we drinking from the top or the bottom?:p

Tom Brown
05-29-2004, 06:02 PM
The 24x355 one will displace substantial amounts of fluid.

carreraelite
05-29-2004, 06:03 PM
are we drinking from the top or the bottom?:p
It depends on if you are using a straw!!

mickeyfinn
05-29-2004, 06:05 PM
so much for posting under the influence!:p
secondly. where does it show that i am asking for weight? re - read the post, the question was , which weighs more,
I believe that the question "which weighs more "is asking for weight
as for needing someone to give me hydrostatic pressure, I work in the oil patch so I do that every single day while earning more than your prof.
You ever notice that even a blind squirrell sometimes finds a nut????
now that your reading skills have become an issue..it actually should have read.. which has more pressure!..to have made this a simple post!
Don't know that it would have made it simpler but it would have at least been the question you intended to ask.
I apologize for my intoxication leading you to hop up on the big chair and hollar
Don't apologize for this....If no one posted drunk we wouldn't have anyone to laugh at......

Tom Brown
05-29-2004, 06:08 PM
how tall are the bottles and are we drinking from the top or the bottom?:p
He laughed at this question and repeatedly used the term "fraidycat". :confused:

hoolign
05-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by carreraelite
If you look at it this way,the 40X200 would hold more water than a 3X200, then the 40x200 would weigh more because it holds more water!! yes your right,,what I was trying to post was basicly..
what amount of weight is needed to create an amount of pressure at the bottom of a column, weight is a direct contribution to pressure, less weight =less pressure, the diamater of a hole has no bearing on the pressure.(good thing I don't drink at work):p now.. in order to overcome a opposite presure induced from the bottom of a column, their are two metheods, either raise the height of the column(which you cant do to a full well) so you increase the weight of the fluid, which gives more pressure,...more weight =more pressure.
I gotta stop posting while the hydrostic pressure of the bottle nears 0:D

hoolign
05-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
I believe that the question "which weighs more "is asking for weigh
that would be..how much does this weigh?
You ever notice that even a blind squirrell sometimes finds a nut????
not if he gets run over on the way to it:p
Don't know that it would have made it simpler but it would have at least been the question you intended to ask.
pretty simple math (im still looking up simpler):p
Don't apologize for this....If no one posted drunk we wouldn't have anyone to laugh at......
i'm only here for your amusement:D

Tom Brown
05-29-2004, 06:28 PM
mickeyfinn -> I believe that the question "which weighs more "is asking for weight
hoolign -> that would be..how much does this weigh?
Hey hoolign... I think of you as a friend and hesitate to step directly into this but is it really that hard for you to admit you were wrong? I know you're a smart guy with more intellect than the followers of your fart sniffing antics on the forums realize but come on...
Repeat after me... "I ... WAS... WROOONNNGGG".

Mandelon
05-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Tom did Topless teach you to say that??? :D

hoolign
05-29-2004, 07:33 PM
mickeyfinn -> I believe that the question "which weighs more "is asking for weight
hoolign -> that would be..how much does this weigh?
Hey hoolign... I think of you as a friend and hesitate to step directly into this but is it really that hard for you to admit you were wrong? I know you're a smart guy with more intellect than the followers of your fart sniffing antics on the forums realize but come on...
Repeat after me... "I ... WAS... WROOONNNGGG".
yes and no, yes being i phrased the question wrong
no being (which weighs more) is not asking for a weight ,hence the word which, being the weight is already established and asking the question which one?

King Kuracz
05-30-2004, 07:15 AM
yes and no, yes being i phrased the question wrong
no being (which weighs more) is not asking for a weight ,hence the word which, being the weight is already established and asking the question which one?
And you say I have a comprehension problem? LMBWAO!
You ask which weighs more, "a" or "b". Everyone tells you "b" weighs more, then you get all pissy and tell them they are wrong because you got the answer for the question you asked instead of the one you meant to ask. Then you say you didn't ask for "weight" although you can't answer which "weighs" more unless you know the "weight" of each one.
No one here has a reading comprehension problem, it's you that has a "what the hell am I trying to say?" problem.
Your "retaliatory comeback" post makes about as much sense as the rest of your posts, ace!
Now why don't you try again to impress me with how much money you make? Looks like money doesn't buy intelligence, or not enough, anyway.
Next time you try to ask a "trick" (only to you, everyone else got it) question http://www.growthspurts.com/drivee/images/012566713462.gif sober up before you tell everyone they were giving you the wrong answer to the question you thought you were asking but didn't, K?