PDA

View Full Version : Channel Closed

Havaparty
05-29-2004, 01:37 PM
They closed that channel today. I guess I knew this would happen
eventually. It is full of people and boats but they have stopped letting boats into the channel this afternoon. You can get out just not in.

Kachina26
05-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Was it due to CO's?

Havaparty
05-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Was it due to CO's?
I think your right, there's hardly any wind today. That can't be helping.

LASERRAY
05-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Yup! Looks like a damn good weekend to be at home.:)

phebus
05-29-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm with you Ray. Last year did us in.

LASERRAY
05-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I'm with you Ray. Last year did us in. How bad was it last year?

FRENCHIE
05-29-2004, 01:55 PM
bad!;)

LASERRAY
05-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
bad!;) Aren't you glad you didn't go this weekend?:D You'll have your fun next weekend in that sweet new ride.;)

Havaparty
05-29-2004, 01:59 PM
I think we'll be taking the deckboat up to the river tomarrow. Winsor was also closed at about 11:00 this morning. That made some people real happy. Well I think it's time leave lock up the boat shop and go have a beer on the water.

FRENCHIE
05-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Aren't you glad you didn't go this weekend?:D You'll have your fun next weekend in that sweet new ride.;)
im very glad, cant wait till next weekend!:D ;)

LASERRAY
05-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Havaparty
I think we'll be taking the deckboat up to the river tomarrow. Winsor was also closed at about 11:00 this morning. That made some people real happy. Well I think it's time leave lock up the boat shop and go have a beer on the water. Cheers HAVAPARTY! Be careful out there. I hear the rented Bayliners are out-in-force this weekend!;) :D

Havaparty
05-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Cheers HAVAPARTY! Be careful out there. I hear the rented Bayliners are out-in-force this weekend!;) :D
That's the nice thing about working at a boat factory, the reapirs if some idiot hits you aren't as hard to take care of.

LASERRAY
05-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Havaparty
That's the nice thing about working at a boat factory, the reapirs if some idiot hits you aren't as hard to take care of. ;) ;) ;)

phebus
05-29-2004, 02:39 PM
How bad was it last year?
Almost impossible to launch, channel gridlock. Total amateur hour.
Never again for us. Too many other good times to go.

LUVNLIFE
05-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Makes me glad I am at home with a cold one. We will be at the river next weekend.:D

1stepcloser
05-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Almost impossible to launch, channel gridlock. Total amateur hour.
Never again for us. Too many other good times to go.
Amen, brother.
2002 was my last year. We tried to cruise through the channel, a freakin mess in Thompson Bay, got hit twice, not bad, just bumped, but both times the offending drivers were M-Fing me for "stopping" in their way.:burningm: I guess I was expected to hit someone instead. Assholes.
I go to the lake to have a good time, and sadly, Memorial day at lake Havasu is no longer a good time for me.:(
I'm heading up next weekend for a week.:D

phebus
05-29-2004, 02:52 PM
It sounds like everyone that didn't go this week is going next week. It might be crowded :D

Jbb
05-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow.....sounds like the place to be.....:idea: ...:D

1stepcloser
05-29-2004, 02:55 PM
It sounds like everyone that didn't go this week is going next week. It might be crowded :D
Perhaps, But at least it will be a great crowd!!:)

LAVEYSABRE575
05-29-2004, 02:58 PM
I just lift havasu 3 hrs ago total gridlock, knuckleheades eveywhere i still cant understand why some dumb f---- try to pass in the channel on busy wkends or people backing out of there spot without looking they f----- kill me. Im even more pissed that im at work on my day off im mentally screwed i just left the lake and im at work now that sucks plus i had a flat on my trailer when i got there tuesday sorry im ranting im pissed...derek

summerlove
05-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
Makes me glad I am at home with a cold one. We will be at the river next weekend.:D
No kidding!:D But I've had more than one...cold one that is...:rolleyes:

shueman
05-29-2004, 08:01 PM
I JUST KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN......:)

beer hunter
05-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
bad!;)
No, really bad! :( I enjoy the party atmosphere of the big weekends but the channel was almost painful to be in last Memorial Day. I'm not sure if closing it is the solution but this issue needs to be addressed. :)

locogringo
05-29-2004, 08:35 PM
We haven't gone Memorial or Labor Day in over 3 years. Now I see why! Total chaos in that area. You could always find a cove somewhere but then you got to worry about the yahoos at the launch ramp.
Next weekend for us also.

FRENCHIE
05-29-2004, 08:38 PM
next weekend for us too! im thinking the same thing...could be packed!:confused:

locogringo
05-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Frenchie, if you're there it will be packed!:D
I didn't know you lived in Redlands... we are practically neighbors.

FRENCHIE
05-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Actually we have a rental in Redlands...our former residence! WE moved to a brand new home in East Highlands Ranch now in february! lovin it!;) Where is your paradise at then?:confused:

Havasu Cig
05-30-2004, 09:05 AM
We stopped going on holidays a couple years ago. We went last weekend and it was not that bad.
We go the weekend before or after hoidays now.

clownpuncher
05-30-2004, 02:38 PM
This may be SLIGHTLY off-topic, but wtf.
For the life of me I can't imagine wanting to go to the channel on a holiday weekend. We all know too much can happen to you or your boat. Closing the channel at peak times has now become reality. I would anticipate more and more such restrictions as time passes.
I remember a similar situation in Palm Springs about 15-17 years ago. 1000's upon 1000's of the spring break kids would come to Palm Springs from many different colleges. They'd "cruise the strip" for hours on end. Traffic was at a stand still, we couldn't even get our fire tucks down the street. Fights would break out on a regular basis (many times fighting fire personnel involved in a medical aid), motorcyclists would get tweeked hard from someone malisciously opening their car doors as the cycles passed them in the bumper to bumber traffic, the cute girls wearing butt floss on the bikes would get serioulsy injured, water guns aimed at co-eds t-shirts, rapes, drug activity etc etc. Palm Springs PD enlisted the help of hundreds of LEO's from around So Cal to help with the work load, to no avail. All this did was keep the officers safer and increased the arrests. Get caught with so much as a squirt gun, go to jail. The kids were still out of control.
After a few consecutive years of full-on riots, the Police shut "the strip" down to pedestrian traffic only. That was the last of Palm Springs' busy spring breaks. Killed the downtown retail shops business for years. Hotels were hit hard with reduced bed taxes. Virtually every business in teh area suffered financially because of a situation that was out of control by a bunch of wreckless activity.
I'd hate to see the same thing start to happen in Havasu during the holidays, but, I'm kinda having a de ja vu feeling about it.

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 03:27 PM
I remember those days. I used to be one of the stupid hellions who descended upon Palm Springs for Spring Break.....The strip was great fun. I had a motorcyle and would give the girlies rides.......took my convertible one year, fun but hot, and it got hosed inside from too many squirtguns so I quit taking it.
I got a ticket for leaving my vehicle running in the street when we jumped out and squirted the girls in the convertible car behind us. I put my in park and jump out for the attack, I am standing on the hood of her car. (on the edge so I wouldn't dent it) my buddies are all around them, squirting her and her friends with big blaster water guns, and two cops summon me over. They were laughing at what retards we were, but still gave me a ticket for leaving my running vehicle unattended. I count myself as lucky.
The hotels with pools were packed with drunk college kids......it was fun then, but now I can see how the carnage would not be so great for the city

KACHINA KEN
05-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Well it's kinda like havin a new toy to play with, for the law anyhow. They got to put the new law into effect, I think it was used a few times on Sat actually, I arrived at 4pm and only stayed a couple hours ( im actually en route to Portland for a show right now) and they stopped traffic for an hour, man it was a zoo out there and the trash was everywhere, I have never seen it so ****ed up out there. And is it just me or does it just keep getting more thuggish out there with every passing season???
Kenny

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
We stopped going on holidays a couple years ago. We went last weekend and it was not that bad.
We go the weekend before or after hoidays now. Was that you at the sanbar at about 11:30am? Beautiful boat. And a beautiful wife/girlfriend I might add.;) We were next to you in the Red Hallett.:cool:

ROZ
05-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I remember those days. I used to be one of the stupid hellions who descended upon Palm Springs for Spring Break.....The strip was great fun. I had a motorcyle and would give the girlies rides.......took my convertible one year, fun but hot, and it got hosed inside from too many squirtguns so I quit taking it.
I got a ticket for leaving my vehicle running in the street when we jumped out and squirted the girls in the convertible car behind us. I put my in park and jump out for the attack, I am standing on the hood of her car. (on the edge so I wouldn't dent it) my buddies are all around them, squirting her and her friends with big blaster water guns, and two cops summon me over. They were laughing at what retards we were, but still gave me a ticket for leaving my running vehicle unattended. I count myself as lucky.
The hotels with pools were packed with drunk college kids......it was fun then, but now I can see how the carnage would not be so great for the city
I remember those days...well almost:p
We had a riot at the Westwad Ho. We were in total lock down... Our wing was a little off to the side, so we just kept on partying... I had a 2 story beer bong that got quite a lot of attention that weekend....lol We also had wristbans of every color, so getting into every hotel was eassy :D

KrazyKa
05-30-2004, 11:03 PM
My brother ran into a member of LHC Fire Department this morning at a gas station. He was pretty upset that the city had to close down the channel. Went on a rant about the county not doing thier part in providing law enforcement for the sandbar, and instead, "taking the easy way out" with the closure on holidays. He was upset that this lack of responsibility by the county put the city of Havasu in a poor light in regards to the channel closure, since all the traffic made it's way to that area instead.

TCHB
05-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Last year in the channel I saw a guy back up real fast and go under a 30 cat. The front of the Eliminator Cat went up and landed on top of the v bottom boat backing up. The people in the v bottom boat hit the floor to avoid being smashed. Everbody was ok except the v bottom boat. The boat windshield broke and cracked the glass around the window area. They were all real lucky!!