PDA

View Full Version : lake stains on gel-coat

Bottoms Up
05-31-2004, 03:08 PM
I am looking for a product that will take off lake stains on my gel-coat. I have tried a dozen product and none of them work so far.

phebus
05-31-2004, 03:19 PM
Try John at Attention To Detail, they have awesome products. I bet the Shark Tower would work great. Here is the link: http://www.attn-to-detail.com/

powerplay230
05-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Have you tried Sno-Bol toilet cleaner? $1.29 at grocery store and works great on gel coat. DO NOT get on paint or your skin though... burns like he*#!! Just spray or wipe on (with gloves) let it sit a minute then just rinse off and you are done....

RiverToysJas
06-01-2004, 06:51 AM
"Mr Clean's Magic Eraser". No Chemicals, just a sponge. Use it with plain old water, even river water. Does wonders on everything, including the interior!!! All I'll say is, trying it and you'll be hooked!!!
RTJas :D

1RVR RYD
06-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Agreed- Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser works wonders.

FRENCHIE
06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
im gonna try that one!;)

dicudmore
06-01-2004, 09:51 AM
I hear you may be cleaning for a while to get that elsinore water off.....

FRENCHIE
06-01-2004, 08:09 PM
well i bought the magic eraser today and used it after this afternoon run at elsinore! works like a charm, but a 4 pack is about $4.00 and i could of easily used two, but used one!;)

Ziggy
06-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
well i bought the magic eraser today and used it after this afternoon run at elsinore! works like a charm, but a 4 pack is about $4.00 and i could of easily used two, but used one!;)
You need to get that stuff at Walmart--WAY cheaper---Think I paid $1.77 for the 4 pack.

powerplay230
06-01-2004, 09:59 PM
What is this stuff, a kitchen cleaner or something made for degreasing or hardwater stains or what? Sounds great if safe enough to even use on interior and no burning your skin off!
So Walmart in the boat, auto, or home department??

phebus
06-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Ziggy
You need to get that stuff at Walmart--WAY cheaper---Think I paid $1.77 for the 4 pack.
I got some at Home Depot for around the same price.

Ziggy
06-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by powerplay230
What is this stuff, a kitchen cleaner or something made for degreasing or hardwater stains or what? Sounds great if safe enough to even use on interior and no burning your skin off!
So Walmart in the boat, auto, or home department??
In the cleaner dept...like where you'd find PineSol and chit like that...Small box about the size of a sponge.

powerplay230
06-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks !:D

FRENCHIE
06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
a two pack was s buck somthin, a four pack was like $4.00

mud duck
06-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Toilet Bowel cleaner works well! I thought the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser was not to be used on glossy surfaces. Apparently I am wrong.

powerplay230
06-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Pretty neat stuff, just bought some today and trying it on stuff around the house and was looking forward to trying it on the boat. Super top secret active ingredients (just embalming fluid) but this stuff does clean up stuff quick and easy. Did note on package it says not recommended for polished/glossy surfaces- sounds like everyone has had good luck on f'glass though, and I know how well Sno-Bol works and it can't be recommended for such use either. One of the detailers at marina uses muriatic acid on fiberglass to remove bad stains/rust stains etc... without problem. Now if they can make this magic eraser work on loan payments...;)

powerplay230
06-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer yeah that's what the stuff is..

RiverPirate
06-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Does the Magic Eraser take off the top layer of wax also, or just the dirt and grime???? Thanks.

rposton1
06-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
"Mr Clean's Magic Eraser". No Chemicals, just a sponge. Use it with plain old water, even river water. Does wonders on everything, including the interior!!! All I'll say is, trying it and you'll be hooked!!!
Gonna get some today, I hear nothing but good things about it...Rob

powerplay230
06-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Wow "Magic Eraser" is just that! After hearing about it from you guys I finally tried it on the boat and this stuff is cool. I think Sno=Bol works a little better and easier on the rusty hard water stains on hull. BUT EVERYTHING ELSE THIS STUFF IS AWESOME- worked great on water scum and scuff marks on fiberglass. Hands down is the best cleaner I have ever tried on interior vinyl and I have tried a lot. Get it wet do a little light rubbing and upholstery comes as clean as the day it was new. Hope it doesn't have any bad long term effects on vinyl (like bleach does ugh..) but wiped it down then a little vinyl treatment and whoohooo it looks like new. So far the magic eraser has worked on everything I have tried, no idea how it works other than "MAGIC".
:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)
GREAT TIP GUYS!!

Bottoms Up
06-15-2004, 06:36 PM
:( I tried the "Magic Eraser" would not take off the Turman lake slug line on my boat, so I asked some of the fisherman that hang out on the docks and the said to use "Star Brite" Instant Hull Cleaner from Wal-Mart.:D :D This stuff works with in one to two minutes of wiping it on. No scrubbing required, just wipe it on and all stains from the water line to any other stains on the gel coat just disappear. After about two minutes rinse with water and apply a good wax and it made the gel-coat look like new. :D The Turman lake slug is about twice as bad as the elsinore water when I use to go there. Hope this will work for some of you.

Outnumbered
06-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Yep, StarBrite Hull Cleaner is the stuff to use. Wal-Mart and Overtons sells it. It is Acid thought so wear gloves or it will burn your hands after a while. I used to leave my boat on the lake all summer when I had a dock and it would get nasty from the algea line even in clean water. Starbrite takes it right off. Follow up with a wax.
OL

Ziggy
06-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Bottoms Up
:( I tried the "Magic Eraser" would not take off the Turman lake slug line on my boat, so I asked some of the fisherman that hang out on the docks and the said to use "Star Brite" Instant Hull Cleaner from Wal-Mart.:D :D This stuff works with in one to two minutes of wiping it on. No scrubbing required, just wipe it on and all stains from the water line to any other stains on the gel coat just disappear. After about two minutes rinse with water and apply a good wax and it made the gel-coat look like new. :D The Turman lake slug is about twice as bad as the elsinore water when I use to go there. Hope this will work for some of you.
Does WD40 work on the sludge? Works pretty good for that kinda stuff.

Lightning
06-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Has any one tried Babe's Boat Care Spot Remover. This is what I use, and it is awesome, there is no better product out there that is as easy to use (no gloves, no worries on paint, spray on wipe off).
Check it out.
http://www.babesboats.com/

TrojanDan
06-17-2004, 01:30 PM
"Mr Clean's Magic Eraser". Does wonders on everything, including the interior!!! All I'll say is, trying it and you'll be hooked!!!
Yeah, I wish it was that good. Some little biatch passed out on my mid-cabin bench seat during Memorial Day and the dye from the cheap ass Budweiser beads she was wearing permanently marked my upholstery. I tried "Mr. Clean's Dumbass Magic Eraser" and it didn't work on it.
Any other suggestions for removing a permanent marker like stain? I've tried Goof-Off and acetone already. :confused:

rvrkaosI
06-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I was given Meguiars Mirror glaze Vinyl & rubber cleaner/ conditioner #57 from John's Custom Boats, as I had some mildew stains on the interior, and some dirt and grime that didn't want to come off. This stuff works strong! The dirt came off, though make sure you wipe it off with a wet rag after, as it really get's all the dirt off! For cheap bead paint, this maybe the ticket!

RiverToysJas
06-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
Any other suggestions for removing a permanent marker like stain? I've tried Goof-Off and acetone already. :confused:
White interior? Leave it in the sun. It'll beach out. Just like when some FNG wears an unwashed, new bathing suit on the boat, and it tints the interior. Sun takes care of it over time. Your problem is in the cabin though, so basically you're ****ed. :D J/K - I say leave it there, and tell others the story every time you take the boat out! "yeah, that's where a little hottie passed out...." Doesn't sound bad! :cool: :D

Ziggy
06-17-2004, 07:55 PM
White interior? Leave it in the sun. It'll beach out.
Just what I was gonna say---it'll dim with time. I've got some on my rear deck that is slowly going away.