PDA

View Full Version : ~ channel closed 2 days in a row ~

carbonmarine
05-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Dangerous CO levels force Channel closure
By Gary Weiand
Sunday, May 30, 2004 11:32 PM MDT
Carbon monoxide reached dangerous levels in Bridgewater Channel on Sunday, and for the second time in two days boats were prevented from entering the watercourse.
The 2 1/2-hour action caused some boaters to question how serious the city was about its health measures.
Frank Foti, Lake Havasu City battalion chief in charge of monitoring carbon monoxide levels in the Channel, said a sudden drop in wind triggered the high readings.
"We had a breeze of 7 to 9 mph all day - then suddenly the wind stopped. By about 7 p.m. levels of carbon monoxide were rising rapidly. It just spiked when the wind died," he said.
Foti said that it's a public health issue, and the city does all it can to protect the health of the public. He noted that six units that monitor carbon monoxide now line the Channel - three on each side - and that a sign erected Thursday explains the levels of danger - green for good, yellow for moderate, red for unhealthy, and purple for hazardous.
But some boaters said that the carbon monoxide problem is worsened by the closure of the Sandbar, a literal sand bar some 5 or 6 miles north of the city, at one time a mecca for boaters.
Jennifer Bolanis of California spoke for many when she said, "Open the Sandbar back up and this won't be a problem."
Brian Jeffrey, who lives in California but owns a home here, put it more strongly, saying that the Channel should be restricted to families, while those who want to behave more freely should use the Sandbar. He said that closing it had been done out of fear that something bad might happen - not because something bad really had happened.
"I'd like to see them show a single carbon monoxide death before closing the Sandbar. The city is only trying to avoid liability with signs," he said.
Kevin Dean, also of California, agreed that relieving congestion in the Channel might alleviate the problem.
"It's like L.A." he said. "If it had only one freeway open, you'd have lots of congestion -open more and you have less carbon monoxide."
City public information officer Charlie Cassens said that although there was no proof, there was a possibility that closing the Sandbar contributed to the problem, because it would be reasonable to assume that those boaters who congregated there now flock to the Channel. But he said that safety was paramount for the city.
"The main priority is to limit emissions, and to help educate the public. The police chief has the authority to evacuate the beach if necessary, but we don't expect that to happen if we remove the emissions."
At 9:40 p.m. Sunday, Cassens announced that the Channel had been reopened. He said that boating will take place as usual this morning.
You may contact the reporter at gweiand@havasunews.com.

Rod-64
05-31-2004, 05:11 PM
It was a matter of time.:(

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Actually probably a good thing that the city has acted... sounds like there really was an issue.

carbonmarine
05-31-2004, 07:31 PM
fugg'in lawyers, lawsuits and laibility ! ,,,,, your were right, " only
a matter a time ". :frown: :frown:

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Interesting, I just got around to reading the article in Powerboat today about this very subject. I can understand how it settles in there, CO is heavier than air, and without a breeze..... it's bound to build up.

cigarette1
05-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Newport Harbor was open all weekend :D

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cigarette1
Newport Harbor was open all weekend :D
And too damn salty for me.......

Quality Time
05-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Not for me! Hey Cig 1 it was nice meeting you a the wash racks.

cigarette1
05-31-2004, 09:51 PM
QT ... likewise and I hope you had a great weekend in your new Sun.
Hey Dr. ... you do know that you don't have to drink the water :D
Really ... I think most people are skeerd of the motion in the ocean :D
G

cigarette1
05-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Dr. One more thing .... How 'bout them Lakers :D

PlyaPlya22
05-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Dr. I was there all weekend, the layers of smoke was rediculous. When coming in form Thompson Bay it looks like there's a seriuos fire in the channel. I am not one for wanting to close the channel, but that shit was bad!!

Essex502
06-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Doesn't help airflow in the channel when they continue to approve construction along the banks creating more of a canyon. This keeps the CO in the channel instead of allowing dispersal.

chub
06-01-2004, 07:11 AM
I can see a day coming when the channel is closed to boats due to concerns for the "public" that live in the channel. Then they have it all for themselves.:mad:

Debbolas
06-01-2004, 07:33 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566is_this_CO-med.jpg
This is the launch ramp at Hemmingway/Las Vegas Marina/ Lake Mead Saturday before sunset.
Scream noticed this, so I took a pic...
(Is all that smoke, CO?)

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-01-2004, 07:36 AM
yep.. it look's like it..

Debbolas
06-01-2004, 07:45 AM
That is a VERY shallow launch ramp, the cars were up to their (that little step on the side of the suburbans) to launch.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2004, 07:57 AM
This is nothing new. Two years ago on Labor Day weekend that "cloud" was so bad at 5 PM on Sunday afternoon we actually walked up and away from the channel for about 20 minutes. Too many boats in too small of an area. Also, simply opening up the Sandbar will not solve the problem, it may alleviate, and even if it does it will only be for a limited time becasue there will still be a ton of people coming back from the Sandbar to cruise the channel.

Essex502
06-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566is_this_CO-med.jpg
This is the launch ramp at Hemmingway/Las Vegas Marina/ Lake Mead Saturday before sunset.
Scream noticed this, so I took a pic...
(Is all that smoke, CO?)
CO is colorless and odorless...you can't see it. What you are seeing is all the other pollutants that you are breating.:(