PDA

View Full Version : Iran's torpedo's run 223 MPH????

Jim W
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
The Revolutionary Guards, the elite branch of Iran's military, have been holding their maneuvers — codenamed the "Great Prophet" — since Friday, touting what they call domestically built technological advances in their armed forces.
A day earlier, Iran announced it had tested a different new torpedo — the high-speed "Hoot," which means "whale." Iran said the Hoot, moving at up to 223 mph, was too fast for any enemy ship to elude. On Friday, it tested the Fajr-3, a missile that it said can avoid radars and hit several targets simultaneously using multiple warheads.
It has not been possible to verify Iran's claims for the new armaments. But the country has made clear it aims to send a message of strength to the United States amid heightened tensions over Iran's nuclear program
I just read this on Yahoo.
223 MPH????
Is that doable??? Any Navy guy's want to comment?
I always thought a torpedo ran 60 or so MPH?
Be good---or scared, Jim

sigepmock
04-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm no expert but as far as I know there is no such weapon or anything for that matter that runs 200+ mph in/under water. Due to the density of water and the subsequent hydrodynamic drag....I just don't think it's possible. Now if they're taking about a water launched surface to air to surface missile...then yes its possible.
But what do I know,
Chris

BajaMike
04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Remember the "Elete" Iraq "The Revolutionary Guards" waiving thier panties to surrender to the American.......
REPORTERS!!!
:cool:
I don't believe much of what the Iranian say....
And I don't think over 100 mph is possible under water...
But I'm no expert....
Froggy must know something about this ?????
:idea:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I saw this on the news last night. And unless they were showing footage of something else, they were launching from a ship into the water.

JB in so cal
04-03-2006, 03:04 PM
The Russians have a 200mph+ underwater torp/missile.

Tom Brown
04-03-2006, 03:12 PM
....I don't think over 100 mph is possible under water...
It's possible by creating a really low pressure air bubble to run in. That lowers the resistance.

Dave C
04-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes I read something about this last year. They were running all kinds of tests on it last year.

BajaMike
04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
It's possible by creating a really low pressure air bubble to run in. That lowers the resistance.
I never heard that before....
From the website listed below...I don't know how accurate the story is....
"Although the story of the Russian VA-111 Shkval torpedo had been percolating in the West for years, it was really only last August 12 when the high-speed undersea missile splashed into the news. On that day the Russian nuclear submarine K-141 Kursk sank mysteriously with 118 people on board in 354 feet of the icy waters of the Barents Sea. Forty-nine elite Russian submarine officers, 36 more than is customarily part of the ships complement, were aboard the Russian Oscar ll Class submarine that day to witness something big....the firing of the improved VA-111 Shkval (Squall) Underwater torpedo Missile -- an incredible undersea weapon, that when launched, rockets underwater at a speed over 200 mph, giving a targeted vessel little or no chance to evade it."
:boxed:
Of course, at 200 mph, how manuverable can it be?? :idea:
:rollside:
Fast Russian Torpedo (http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/kursk.html)

burtandnancy
04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
If the Russians and Iranians have 200 MPH torpedo's, what do you think the greatest super power in the world has???
Also, I saw video's of the launch of rocket driven torpedo's and it was impressive, 200 MPH or not. But I'm not sure our country isn't way beyond needing this kind of weapon. Beside us, who has submarines who can threaten anyone today?
There are lots of military guys here who may know and can reveal more on the subject...

riverracerx
04-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Depends if they have labbed props on them, and Boat Bling engine covers!

dmontzsta
04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I think they are just trying to scare us. We will kick their asses too.

JB in so cal
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Depends if they have labbed props on them, and Boat Bling engine covers!
...don't forget the through-hull exhaust. :rolleyes:

Jim W
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Sooooooo--- what are they powering these things with???
And where can I buy one?
Suddenly my boat just seem's sooooooo slow!!!!
The lake I run on has a 45 MPH speed limit. That's on the water right????
Be good, Jim

GHT
04-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Imagine that.... :cool: ... Aren't they sharing technologies? What a bunch of F'ers.
Good thing we get along with Russia so well.. :yuk: :mad:

MikeF
04-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Seen it before....can't remember where though.
Basically the front of the torpedo is designed slightly larger than the main body of the torpedo. It has a sharp cut off near the rear edge of the nose and causes a supercavitaion to be induced.....leaving a very large hole for the rest of the torpedo to not touch the surrounding water and the rocket pushes it much easier through that environment. :skull:

MikeF
04-03-2006, 04:56 PM
And as far as I know, We have torpedo's that no longer slam into the sides of ships. They design them now to blow up well below the ship causing an extreemely large hole in the water......leading to the ship loosing all it's buoyancy and sinking in a matter of seconds. :crossx:

GHT
04-03-2006, 04:59 PM
You may not be able to out maneuver (sp) a torpedo runnin' 200 mph. What everyone is not mentioning is the fact that we (the US) already have, or are developing many systems that we use as counter measure (ECM - Electronic Counter Measures). I guess what I am saying is.. We probably already have the ability to negate the guidance systems on the torpedos and therefore they are near useless against our fleets.
MY .02

mike37
04-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm just going to call BS on the hole dam story

Seadog
04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
The Russians developed the 223 mph underwater missile about ten years ago. Iran has developed their own weapons program due to the weapons embargo. They designed and build their own tanks, fighter aircraft, APCs, etc. With the state of Russian arms companies and the number of muslims in Russia, it is not a stretch to figure that somebody stole or bought the technology. The weapon was designed for one thing, and that was to take out our subs and aircraft carriers. The big question is how possible is it to detect our subs by Iranian forces.
they have developed a ballistic missile that can hit Israel with a nuke. If they ever develop nuclear weapons, it is likely they will use them.

2Driver
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Maybe we can get one and run it past Copper Canyon and film it at 220 MPH. Then post it on the boards :D :D .

SmokinLowriderSS
04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Not being current USN, but being current US Mil, A few thoughts strike me in this...
It does seem to be true ..... it's simply an underwater missile. After all, air is a "fluid", just a very thin one, water a much "thicker" one.
It can't be very steerable so it better be aimed right..... or it's a miss
It can't likely be self-guiding, so see above.
I have concerns over the range of it, and just how close are we gonna let a surface torpedo boat get to our flotilla.
It doesn't "torpedo" aircraft worth a damn, better range a hundred miles or they'll never get close enough to shoot one. Airplanes love to sink ships, Thx Gen Doolittle.
Iran's subs are mostly DIesel/electrics bought from the bankrupt russians, noisy as hell and easilly watched by our attack subs. Even the old (read as "afordable") Russian nuke boats are noisy relatively.
That test was an above water launch so an underwater launch may not be feasable yet, maybe not quite a while considering it's a rocket.
Can you evern get the impact detonator to work right on a 200 mph impact compared to a much slower "normal" 50 to 70 mph torpedo impact?
Is the proximity detonator going to work properly passing UNDER a ship @ 200+ mph as opposed to 50 to 70 mph? Having a weapon MOVE that fast is 1 thing, getting it to go BOOM when you want it to is another sometimes.
My main concerns comes down to USEFULNESS. It's a neat toy, but can it actually be a genuine threat to a US vessel? I tend to doubt it. Reminds me of when some idiot reporter asked the Captain of the New Jersey what he would do if someone shot an exocet missile at his ship (after the Brittish destroyer went up from one & sank in the Falkland "incedent"). He pretty much said "I'd let it hit, then send a seaman outside to sweep that s##t off my deck" (16" of steel plate is a lot tougher than 1" of it).
I was privilidged to visit The Big Mo once in Hawaii (the USS Missouri). She was hit by a Kamikazi plane once ....... once. He hit her right below deck height, right at #3 turrent ............................ Right on 16" of cold rolled steel armor plate belting, BAD choice.
It put a dent about 1" deep, about 6' long, in the side of the ship, throwing the cockpit onto the deck. They burried the enemy pilot at sea the next day with full honors (Captains orders) for dying while doing his best to do his duty for his country.

mororless
04-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I've been out for a while, but the Russians could never get the thing to work right. But hell of a scary weapon. Rag Heads were dumb enough to let us know they have a semi working model.
Now everytime one of there used/duct tape held together Russian subs leaves port you can bet your ass there is going to a HUNTER on his tail just waiting for him to open his outer doors. After that the Rag Heads will be wondering where there sub went.

MagicMtnDan
04-03-2006, 11:34 PM
It's the real deal. It's an underwater missile. It creates cavitation that essentially forms an air bubble reducing friction significantly enabling it to go that fast.
It's a scary weapon in theory (imagine it being launched at one of our Nimitz class super-carriers) but the real question is how in the world could they get close enough to the carrier to use it? Basically they can't - there's an entire fleet (the carrier group) surrounding the carrier and there's always a radar plane (AWACS) up over the fleet scanning horizon in all directions.

boatsnblondes
04-04-2006, 03:43 AM
It's the real deal alright, but I doubt it's a proven technology..the article I read mentioned that the Kursk may have gone down as a result of a misfire in the bow. It may also be the reason the Russians left the bow of the Kursk at the bottom but raised the rest of her. As it stands, this missile is a CLOSELY gaurded Russian state secret, I doubt they would give the thing to a bunch of bufoons such as the Iranians...especially knowing that they may get hit here soon and that it could be siezed by us....the Iranians are blowing smoke..alsom the Iranians only have a couple of deepwater ports..not like we would never see them coming...they would never get past the lighthouse.... :)

Red Horse
04-04-2006, 05:38 AM
Prolly one in a thousand chance it will hit anything of ours. We have sleds towed my helos that mimic ships. They send off the magnetic/sonar signatures of our ships that we drag thru the water all the time. They bring mines to the surface, they make torpedos go where there is nothing. Kinda like chaff for aircraft. I am not worried at all. 223 MPH or 10 MPH, doesnt really matter if it does not hit its target. :cool:

OGShocker
04-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Fox News had a video on their website. It is JAVA so I could not link it. :mad: It was there yesterday..
Never discount these furry little bastards! (http://www.fas.org/main/content.jsp?formAction=297&contentId=161)

OGShocker
04-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Try this for MORE information (http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player05.html?040406/040406_baier_iran&FNL&Iran%26%2339%3Bs%20War%20Games&acc&U.S.%20%26%20World&-1&exp)