PDA

View Full Version : My day in court

Wet Dream
06-01-2004, 08:42 AM
The ticket went like this:
2 lane road, notorious for cops. I was sitting behind a doubles semi, a Caddy and pickup. Just a couple of miles down the road, trucks have to go 35mph, no room to pass. I drive a truck, and I don't like to be stuck behind them anymore than anyone else. Pickup passes, but caddy is dicking around. Pops out to pass, and changes his mind. He does this a few times. Ok, I've had enough. I'm in my F150. Romp the throttle and away we go. This stretch of road is similar to the sierra foothills. Up and down, 2 lane, but much greener here. When I pass, I pass. I don't get up to 60 and hope I can make it. I make sure I can make it. So I complete the pass and come around a corner, I see the state police sitting there. I didn't think I was going that fast. For safe measure I tap the brake. Oops, here he comes. Ok, he says 71 in a 55, I was actually surprised. He says take it to court, you might have a chance, with a raised eyebrow. Well I guess I can try it. Better than taking it lying down. Original speeding is $45. Tack on all the court fees, county fees, EMS, levies, SPCA, AARP and whatever else they add on its up to $159 and carries 4 points.
Today is court day. 10am. I get there at 9:10. Nobody there but the judge and a couple of clerks. This is a fairly small town. I got the jitters and coffee, so off to the little boys room to pee. I come out and guess who's there? Yup. Mr. Officer. Well there goes that chance of getting off. No lawyer for me. I gotta do this. The judge, late 30's to early 40's, easy going guy. He opens up and says "You're here to prove that you weren't speeding, you plead not guilty. Lets begin".
Oh chit, here we go. "Well your Honor, I can't prove it, but I can explain the situation and if nothing more, at least I can try to get the point reduced from my CDL."
Judge: Its not marked that you have a CDL.
Me: I do, and have for the last 10 years or so.
J: Any points?
M: No. No moving violations at all.
J: I'll let you and the officer talk, see if you can come up with something. The judge leaves the courtroom.
Officer and I talk. Real nice guy. He says he can reduce it to 61. Thats as low as he can go by law. Carries 2 points. Thats better. He also states that I can ask the judge to go lower at his discretion. Judge comes back in.
J: Did you come up with an agreement?
M: Yes. (O and I explain the agreement) But I have to ask if you'll reduce it even further? I'm not concerned about the fine, its the points.
J: Ok, I'll go 60 in 55, carries no points and you'll get about $50 back, but no interest.
M: I'll take it. :D
I thank them both, shake both of their hands and walk out.
I feel pretty lucky. ;)

copperrat20
06-01-2004, 08:46 AM
wow! sounds like you got off pretty easy. congrats!!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-01-2004, 08:47 AM
very cool.. good for you ..;)

91nordic29
06-01-2004, 08:49 AM
well that went well. good for you!:)

Jetdriver
06-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Nice turn out!

6 Dollar Boat
06-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Sounds like Andy and Barney, were the Judge and Cop. That's nothing like traffic court in L.A. ( ours is in Spanish ) :confused:

welk2party
06-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Best experience I have ever heard!

topless
06-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Wow, I guess I should start being nice and stop calling them assholes when I get stopped.;)

Laveyman
06-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Sounds more like an episode of "Let's Make a Deal" than a day in traffic court. Let's see, "I'll take door #2 Your Honor...Oh, wait, can I have the big fancy box where Carol Marrow is standing instead?" :D
Nice job on your part though! :cool:

topless
06-01-2004, 09:42 AM
My friend just went to traffic court this morning. It was for no seatbelt and when she saw the officer, she became so flustered that she threw her cigarette out the window right in front of him. Everyone including the judge was laughing at her in court. She got off with 191.00 fine.

JetBoatRich
06-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Great story, sounds like a good group of people:D understanding that you are of the working class and need your license to do so:eek: so they worked with you instead of sticking it to you
Congratulations;)

Wet Dream
06-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks all. I was hoping it would go that way. I remember going to traffic court in San Jose (Santa Clara Co). It was like an assembly line. Everyone goes in at once. When your name is called, you go up, say a few words, they chew you up, spit you out and you wonder why you bothered to try. It was to say the least...intimidating.
My experience here was laid back, professional and sincere.