PDA

View Full Version : Waterski Question

CA Stu
06-01-2004, 01:46 PM
On my ski, there is an adjustable horizontal "wing" on the fin.
It has 3 markings: 2", 7", and 12" .
What the hell is it for?
Thanks
CA Stu

dimarcobros
06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
I am not positive but I think adjusting the fin slows the ski down in the turn.

HCS
06-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
I am not positive but I think adjusting the fin slows the ski down in the turn.
That's it. It's the brake. The more you turn it down the faster
you'll slow the ski down in the preturn. If your ski seems to
fast going into a turn, change the angle on the fin. Move it
down. But not much. If your not a real aggresive skier you won't
need to move it from the factory setting. It's fun to play around with though. Just move it around and try it. Just make sure you
mark where you like it the best so you can put it back.

HCS
06-01-2004, 02:03 PM
This is what can happen with too much brake.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/637Ski-med.jpg

Chase
06-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Those markings are an indicator of how far your teeth will move when you do a face plant....:D :D

CA Stu
06-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Factory setting is flat, seemed to work OK for me. I'll put it back to flat then.
You know how it is, if it ain't broke, f*ck with it until it is.
Thanks
CA Stu

CA Stu
06-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Chase
Those markings are an indicator of how far your teeth will move when you do a face plant....:D :D
I was thinking maybe it was an indicator of how far water will shoot up your ass when you eat it. :confused: :D
Thanks
CA Stu

HCS
06-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
Factory setting is flat, seemed to work OK for me. I'll put it back to flat then.
You know how it is, if it ain't broke, f*ck with it until it is.
Thanks
CA Stu
I have a new KD. They put just a slight rake in it from the factory.
I'm a pretty hard skier and it works just fine for me. They don't
recommend fooling with it unless your on a buoy course. If your
just recreationally skiing you don't want alot of down force. It
also causes a harder pull on the rope. So your arms will get tired
quicker. You won't be able to ski as long.

eliminatedsprinter
06-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
And not enough pull. :D :D ;)

NashvilleBound
06-01-2004, 07:53 PM
That looks WAY too much like me...
They suggested that I take OFF the wing after looking like that picture too many times...works like a champ! you'll be amazed at the difference.
That water looks like the rough water in TN:D :D :D :D

MJ19
06-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
That looks WAY too much like me...
I don't believe it...you are the KING of water skiing :p ;)

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Is that at Clementine?:confused:

HCS
06-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Is that at Clementine?:confused:
Dang dude, you got it. That's my second home away from home.
That pic is at 7:00am in the morning. The most bitchin time to
hit it. I was behind a jet boat with a hang over........need to say no more.:cool:

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Dang dude, you got it. That's my second home away from home.
That pic is at 7:00am in the morning. The most bitchin time to
hit it. I was behind a jet boat with a hang over........need to say no more.:cool:
Been there, done that..... LOL..........

Some Kind Of Monster
06-01-2004, 09:07 PM
How fast was the jet jettin?

HCS
06-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Been there, done that..... LOL..........
I got my reservations booked for August. 7 days in the hole!
Cant F-UCKING wait.
The good side of life.............................................. ..............

HCS
06-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Some Kind Of Monster
How fast was the jet jettin?
It was fast enough to kick my ass! You cant pull when she's
blowin that hard.:D

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 06:50 PM
I got my reservations booked for August. 7 days in the hole!
Cant F-UCKING wait.
The good side of life.............................................. ..............
It has been a while since i have been there. How far is the silt creeping into the lake?
:confused:

HCS
06-03-2004, 07:00 AM
It has been a while since i have been there. How far is the silt creeping into the lake?
:confused:
It isn't bad at all, pretty much the same as always. There was
the one real good rainy season that made it real bad. After a
couple of normal season it's back to normal. There is one real
nice new beach. Right before the camp grounds.:cool:
That place is bitchen for waterskiing, or in most peoples case
these days wakeboarding. But that screws up my waterskiing.

Chase
06-03-2004, 08:23 AM
I used to waterski....until I tried a wakeboard......

Speedin' Ian
06-03-2004, 09:48 AM
I've done a lot of competitve skiing over the years and you do not need that fin until you get into shortline skiing. I didn't put mine back on my ski until I was getting into 32' off at 36mph, and even then I only had a couple degrees of angle on it. If you are having a hard time slowing down when you transition from your lean to your turn then you are not switching edges quick enough. You should never let your ski go flat, lean hard through both wakes, and then quickly change edges and begin your preturn, and finish off with a nice tight turn when your ski is ready. Just a few things I've learned throughout the years:D

HCS
06-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
I've done a lot of competitve skiing over the years and you do not need that fin until you get into shortline skiing. I didn't put mine back on my ski until I was getting into 32' off at 36mph, and even then I only had a couple degrees of angle on it. If you are having a hard time slowing down when you transition from your lean to your turn then you are not switching edges quick enough. You should never let your ski go flat, lean hard through both wakes, and then quickly change edges and begin your preturn, and finish off with a nice tight turn when your ski is ready. Just a few things I've learned throughout the years:D
Ya....what you said. And don't try it behind a jet boat.;)

Speedin' Ian
06-03-2004, 10:12 AM
you got that right, water skiing behind jet boats sucks!! No offense jet boat owners;)

Up 4 River
06-03-2004, 10:41 AM
You are my idol if you ran the course at 32' off at 36 mph! I've only ran the course at 22' off. I agree with you that you don't need the fin until you shorten up the rope through the course. Where do you ski the course around Southern California?
U4R

Speedin' Ian
06-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Don't do it much anymore, but I used to train out at the private lakes in Arvin, and competed in tournaments all over. I kind of hit a road block at 35' off and it got real frustrating, still enjoy skiing though. If you ran through the course at 22' off your probably a lot better than most of the recreation skiers out there.

HCS
06-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Don't do it much anymore, but I used to train out at the private lakes in Arvin, and competed in tournaments all over. I kind of hit a road block at 35' off and it got real frustrating, still enjoy skiing though. If you ran through the course at 22' off your probably a lot better than most of the recreation skiers out there.
There aren't a whole lot of recreational skiers at all any more.
Everyone wakeboards. Sometimes I feel like a dieing breed.
If it wasn't for my brother I wouldn't have a ski partner.
You both have me beat in the course. Just haven't had the time
and place. My bro's going to drag me out to his buddys ski club
one of these days. But I'm a damn good rec skier.:D

Up 4 River
06-03-2004, 11:11 AM
I don't know where Arvin is. Hitting a block at 35' off is nothing to be ashamed of. I had always skiied recreationaly until 2 years ago when I ran through the course for the first time. I went down to Ski Paradise in Acapulco and skiied my brains out learning the course and how to run through it. There's not to many places around here where you can run through a course. It also doesn't help my case that I don't have a true ski boat. If you need a skiing partner for the day hit me up.

Up 4 River
06-03-2004, 11:13 AM
There aren't a whole lot of recreational skiers at all any more.
Everyone wakeboards. Sometimes I feel like a dieing breed.
If it wasn't for my brother I wouldn't have a ski partner.
You both have me beat in the course. Just haven't had the time
and place. My bro's going to drag me out to his buddys ski club
one of these days. But I'm a damn good rec skier.:D
I have the time, but it's finding the place that's the problem. If it were not for my Dad and my buddy Dimarco Bros form these boards I would never have anyone to ski with when I go out to the river.

Speedin' Ian
06-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Arvin is just south of bakersfield off of the 99, I haven't been out there in a few years but I'm going to try to get out there at least once this summer. Now I just do recreational skiing at Needles, the Kings river, and Shasta during the summer I don't think it really matters how fast you ski, or how short the rope is as long as you're having fun. I know plenty of guys skiing shortline that aren't really having that much because they are trying too hard to be the best.

HCS
06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm in Sacramento. We have a couple places that have ski
courses. You have to pay them. It cost to much when you own
your own ski boat. I just go skiing.
My brothers buddy belongs to a ski club at lake Berryessa.
I can ski there cheep. I just haven't got around to it.
I have a freind that takes it way to serious. He gets pissed off
when he doesn't ski well. And were not even on a course.
I ski to enjoy and get away. I ski better that way.

rivercrazy
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I used to do quite a bit of hard waterskiing as well. But I'm packing too much weight these days!
Never ran courses but I used to cut it up respectably for a rec skier.
Skied mostly behind an old 19 mastercraft and then a 21 Shockwave jet boat. Your not gonna believe it but I preferred skiing behind the jet boat. I wasn't in the turbulance often. I was turning and burning or back in the boat. Because of a waterski pole at the front of the motor and large rudder off the place diverter, I couldn't pull the boat around despite weighing well over 200 pounds and a 70" racing SL ski

rivercrazy
06-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Oh and by the way, I hate wakeboarding! I ain't no young pup! Switching edges and doing face plants are not my cup of tea. Nor or the 3 foot wakes! :D

dimarcobros
06-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Up 4 River
I have the time, but it's finding the place that's the problem. If it were not for my Dad and my buddy Dimarco Bros form these boards I would never have anyone to ski with when I go out to the river.
To be honest if Up4River didn't bug me about waking up early to go skiing I probably wouldn't get out ever. However, as much as I bi**h and moan once I get out there I am glad he dragged my hungover a** out. :D
DMB

KACHINA KEN
06-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
On my ski, there is an adjustable horizontal "wing" on the fin.
It has 3 markings: 2", 7", and 12" .
What the hell is it for?
Thanks
CA Stu
it stands for the amount of stiches you get if you biff it!;)

Up 4 River
06-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I used to do quite a bit of hard waterskiing as well. But I'm packing too much weight these days!
Never ran courses but I used to cut it up respectably for a rec skier.
Skied mostly behind an old 19 mastercraft and then a 21 Shockwave jet boat. Your not gonna believe it but I preferred skiing behind the jet boat. I wasn't in the turbulance often. I was turning and burning or back in the boat. Because of a waterski pole at the front of the motor and large rudder off the place diverter, I couldn't pull the boat around despite weighing well over 200 pounds and a 70" racing SL ski
I've skied behind the ski boats and I will say that my Dad's 21' tunnel hull with a 200 Merc outboard has the best wake I've ever skiied behind. It pulled the boat more than the ski boats, but the wake was nothing. I know what you mean about packing on the weight. I'm 210 lbs. but skiing on the new 71" HO CDX the ski comes around the turn like nothing. It's nice to see there's some people who ski ski on these boards.:D

dimarcobros
06-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Up 4 River
I've skied behind the ski boats and I will say that my Dad's 21' tunnel hull with a 200 Merc outboard has the best wake I've ever skiied behind. It pulled the boat more than the ski boats, but the wake was nothing. I know what you mean about packing on the weight. I'm 210 lbs. but skiing on the new 71" HO CDX the ski comes around the turn like nothing. It's nice to see there's some people who ski ski on these boards.:D
210????? :D :D ;)
What did you think about skiing behind our 21 DiMarco?
DMB

rivercrazy
06-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Is that ski a traditional design or one of the new wider skis? I'm wondering if any of the newer wide body skis have any performance at all. Never tried one.
Still on snow skis too (i.e. 205 slalom racing ski. Gonna ride em till they disentigrate!)

HCS
06-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I keep my weight down for several reasons. Not only for health
but also for my skiing abilities. I'm never going to win the trophy
or anything, but I like to ski hard on the best ski's. It's alot of fun
and a good challenge to keep up with the technology.
I had a 19 foot Tahiti outboard. That boat had the best wake I've
ever skied behind. It had a tripod center pull that was a kick in
the ass. The only problem was is that if your really pulled hard
you could pull the boat around.

CA Stu
06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm a skier, too.
Recently returning to the sport after a layoff of a few (?) years.
I've never skied a course, I'll never win any competitions, but it's a kick in the ass and damn good exercise.
Plus, an excuse to drink beer and go boating.
As a lad, my friends and I used to get to the lake at 6 am every Monday, before they opened the gate, to be the first ones out on the smooth water.
I would like to try wakeboarding, but I know I can ski and I really enjoy it.
I'm also glad to see I'm not the only water skier still around.
Thanks
CA Stu <--"HIt it!"

CA Stu
06-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Is that ski a traditional design or one of the new wider skis? I'm wondering if any of the newer wide body skis have any performance at all. Never tried one.
Still on snow skis too (i.e. 205 slalom racing ski. Gonna ride em till they disentigrate!)
The parabolic snow skis sure make turning easier, I can tell you that for a fact.
I am also a snow skiing dinosaur ;)
Cheers
CA Stu

mmered8299
06-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Back to the Fin. The Fin holds the tail of the ski in the water as your turning, as you approch the turn bouy at a high rate of speed you need to rock you hip foward to slow the ski down to turn . But when you get up on the front of the ski the tail wants to come out of the water and then you get whats in the picture at the beginning of the thread. Some Pros actually stop the ski and then launch across the wake to the other bouy. But thats on a really short rope. The fin can help in rough water but who wants to ski in that. Play with it or take it off. A rec. skiier will stick with Hard Pulls and Easy Turns! :rolleyes: