PDA

View Full Version : compressed air lines?

jjy73
06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi all. I am looking at installing fixed air line in my garage. I have been told that PVC pipe can be used. It would be nice b/c it is easier to cut, since i do not have a pipe threader. Also it is much cheaper than black pipe. The PVC is rated at 400+ psi. Anyone out there done this or know of someone who did? Thanks for all your help!!

copperrat20
06-03-2004, 12:17 PM
I used to have regular pvc. Then I changed to Copper. Only seemed right since I am the copper man! Go with the good stuff.

Jetdriver
06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Used PVC in my old garage with no worries. Pops is still using it to this day. When I do it again I will use copper just for the cool factor!

copperrat20
06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Used PVC in my old garage with no worries. Pops is still using it to this day. When I do it again I will use copper just for the cool factor!
Way to go Jd. Copper - the poor mans gold.

mickeyfinn
06-03-2004, 12:32 PM
PVC works well......Just for a little extra protection spend the extra nickel and get schedule 80. No worries

Havasu_Dreamin
06-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Ran PVC pipe in a buddies garage to run the air tools for the racecar, worked fine.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I have 1" PVC run all around my garage. 3 drops total and no problems in 3 years. It only sees about 125 psi with my system though. It was very easy to work with and cheap:cool: invest the money you saved on a retractable hose reel.:)
Omega

dirty old man
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
also easy to repair (if necessary) and no corrosion problems. Don't forget to blow down your tank often to get rid of moisture.

dorC
06-03-2004, 01:37 PM
PVC will work just fine. Just be sure to support it adequatly so that it doesn't sag. You may also want to convert to pipe or copper at the connections. I'd hate to see you pull on a air hose and break the line. I personally used copper for my garage, but may use pvc for the new one due to costs (long run).

Jbb
06-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Pvc works ok..black iron is better....If you are gonna paint...the line exiting must be black iron for the first rise before any regulator or water trap

Daytona19
06-03-2004, 02:48 PM
PVC works just fine I have had this in my last two pole barns. I run a 6 hp compressorat up to 120 psi and no problems ever. Put drains in the lines to expell water and your good to go.

summerlove
06-03-2004, 03:08 PM
do they fly to hawaii faster than American?

goneboatin
06-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Be careful with PVC! If for some reason one of the pipes is broken while under pressure, the plastic will fly like glass shards. I've never heard of the PVC bursting, but if it is hit under pressure, look out. Go the right and safe way with copper.

Jordy
06-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
I've never heard of the PVC bursting, but if it is hit under pressure, look out. Go the right and safe way with copper.
So you could be safe and go with copper or just be safer and not throw shit around your shop that might hit the pvc air lines. ;)

goneboatin
06-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
So you could be safe and go with copper or just be safer and not throw shit around your shop that might hit the pvc air lines. ;)
That is true, but accidents happen.

Moneypitt
06-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Why would you have to use black iron pipe if you're going to use the air supply to paint?? I can see a water seperator, regulator, but why pipe??...........Moneypitt

FOURQ
06-03-2004, 04:27 PM
ok guys i work with air compressors and compressed air lines all day long and PVC is not legal no mater what you use sch 40 or sch 80 .. there is a plactic pipe out there that is legal and will resist the oils that passes by the compressor but it is way mor expensive that copper.. I have personally seen pvc explode due to oil contamination or uv stress or smog i dont know witch but it wasnt pretty . it was like a grenade with all the schrapnal ( i cant spell) it threw .. i seen a 4" pice lodged in a guys sholder and it was pretty f'ed up.. so my recomendation is copper it will out last you.. black pipe is ok to use too but is a pain in the ass if you dont have a pipe threader........so in closing i would say spent the time and a little extra money and use copper it dont take much for pvc to explode....
4Q

mike37
06-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by FOURQ
ok guys i work with air compressors and compressed air lines all day long and PVC is not legal no mater what you use sch 40 or sch 80 .. there is a plactic pipe out there that is legal and will resist the oils that passes by the compressor but it is way mor expensive that copper.. I have personally seen pvc explode due to oil contamination or uv stress or smog i dont know witch but it wasnt pretty . it was like a grenade with all the schrapnal ( i cant spell) it threw .. i seen a 4" pice lodged in a guys sholder and it was pretty f'ed up.. so my recomendation is copper it will out last you.. black pipe is ok to use too but is a pain in the ass if you dont have a pipe threader........so in closing i would say spent the time and a little extra money and use copper it dont take much for pvc to explode....
Id bet that pipe had more than 125 psi
and your right its not legal but at 125 psi with
sch 40 pvc I dont think it will explode and grenade with all the schrapnal not at 125 psi
4Q

FOURQ
06-03-2004, 06:07 PM
to the contrary it was only at 110 psi and was sch 80

sorry dog
06-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Charlotte Pipe officially lists PVC as not suitable for compressed air for the reasons listed.
I have used sch80 indoors on long runs to make installation easier but it was 1/2" and only tested to 100psi. I would not use it for any thing bigger (more stored energy makes things fly) or outside because sun will make the stuff brittle. We have had a couple of blowouts from stuff getting dropped and it didn't shatter. PVC has some oil resistance so probably was UV if it was outside.

mike37
06-03-2004, 07:47 PM
to the contrary it was only at 110 psi and was sch 80
sch 80 is not worth the plastic its maid of I would not trust it for any thing
sch 40 wont explode like that at least not in 1/2" or 3/4"
and it must be kept out of the sun

sorry dog
06-03-2004, 08:47 PM
80 will take a bigger hit before breaking and it takes longer to get brittle- something to think about when it is carrying Chlorine or SO2...

Tom Brown
06-03-2004, 09:26 PM
I've heard of several cases of PVC exploding after a couple of years of service. For that reason, I have stuck with brass and black pipe. Black pipe is just as easy to work with IMO, particularly if your father is a pipe fitter. :D

mickeyfinn
06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by sorry dog
80 will take a bigger hit before breaking and it takes longer to get brittle- something to think about when it is carrying Chlorine or SO2...
Sorry Dog,
What do You do for a living? Sounds like wastewater?

Jordy
06-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I've heard of several cases of PVC exploding after a couple of years of service.
Grandpa has been running it in his shop for probably 20 years now without any problems. Granted he's only running a little compressor and not using it to it's max capacity.
Black pipe is just as easy to work with IMO, particularly if your father is a pipe fitter. :D
I suppose all of our fathers played the role of a "pipe fitter" at least once. And Tom, I had no idea you were half black. :D

FOURQ
06-03-2004, 11:16 PM
so i supose your one of those pepole that think that sch 20 is the thickest and strongest pvc?? NOT!!!! sch 80 it alot thicker than sch 40 or 20
4Q
this is startin to sound like a pissin match...lol

sorry dog
06-04-2004, 02:01 AM
What do You do for a living? Sounds like wastewater?
Used to be on the biz - decided on a vocational change... got tired of the shit :D
I did the PVC at a 200 ft milk turd building to save time. If it was my own garage, I would call Tom's dad.
I don't like exposed copper because it looks like crap after a bit of time unless you wrap it and then it still looks like crap. For the ultimate in quicky install you could use polyethylene. It goes to 125 or something like that.
Yeah dude...like somebody told me electrical conduit is the shit to use dude :D

mike37
06-04-2004, 05:20 AM
so i supose your one of those pepole that think that sch 20 is the thickest and strongest pvc?? NOT!!!! sch 80 it alot thicker than sch 40 or 20
4Q
did I get the sch backwards
ok my bad
the thicker stuff wont explod hows that

48OFF
06-04-2004, 05:29 PM
I recently plumbed my shop and carport with air and was going to use pvc. As I was buying the stuff I noticed the warnings on the pipe and connectors that said not for air. I asked the dude selling the stuff about it, and he told me the story of his buddy that had some explode after getting hit or pulled on, and he took some schrapnel. I ended up useing airhose cut to length, to make the runs to the various stations. It cost less , was easy to work with ,and is made just for air.

superdave013
06-04-2004, 05:34 PM
We have had PVC in our shop for many years. So far so good.
We got away from black pipe on our equipment because it's dirty inside. I know you can blow it out after you thread it but it rusts too. It caused us lots of service calls. We now run copper on our equipment and also use Gates rubber hose where there is any vibration.

AleAlchemist
06-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Dude run air hose in the rafters just make sure you stap it down!
A neihgbor uses PVC with out incident, but he if taking shrapnel is worth a couple of bucks then go ahead.

Wet Dream
06-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
Why would you have to use black iron pipe if you're going to use the air supply to paint?? I can see a water seperator, regulator, but why pipe??...........Moneypitt
Here is a roundabout but probably not a perfect explanation:
Compressed air builds heat. As it exits the tank, it carries and builds condensation. The condensation travels the length of any run. To eliminate the condensation, you must use iron pipe especially for painting purposes. When the hot compressed air leaves the tank, it hits the cooler metal pipe, which separates the moisture. You definately want a water trap and drain. I forget the measurements, but I think its 2 feet from the tank, and then every 20'.

Just Tool'n
06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Go with Copper!
PVC will sag & that allows a place for the mosture to collect.
Also on your drops, make sure to put a drain on the bottom of each drop! Helps get rid of that unwanted mosture.
My motto is
" When was the last time you were disappointed when you bought the best"

seho
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I used to work in a shop that used pvc for air at around 200-225 psi. During the summer we'd have an explosion about every two weeks or so. No kidding about the shrapnel everywhere (not to mention the huge roiling dust cloud). I think that 400 psi rating goes down a lot when the ambient temperature goes up. Once it was so loud, the shop next to us evacuated their building. Guess they thought Avgas had made the boom. We were lucky nobody ever got hurt.

Dr. Eagle
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
Go with Copper!
PVC will sag & that allows a place for the mosture to collect.
Also on your drops, make sure to put a drain on the bottom of each drop! Helps get rid of that unwanted mosture.
My motto is
" When was the last time you were disappointed when you bought the best"
Yeah, copper is easy to work, soldering is pretty simple and it makes for a great product. Plastic seems so temporary, and it would make excellent shrapnel if it ever did explode.
Just my .02

novaguy
06-04-2004, 11:25 PM
OK fellas,
Let's see some pics of your air line setups...