PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Help

Sweet Addiction
06-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Can some one help me plumb my fuel lines?
I am running a holley double pumper model 4150, I have hooked the Holley fuel line up the the carb part# 34-150.
So what I need to know is what size of fuel line to get and what fittings I will need in order to run a fuel line from the fuel pump which is under the motor up to the connection of my Holley fuel line on top of the motor.
I believe the stock hose fittings are 5/8-18 also, but not sure.
Help would greatly be appreciated.

clownpuncher
06-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Might wanna contact Hotcrusader76, he's the resident carb magician.

clownpuncher
06-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Check this out too TPC racing (http://www.tpcracing.com/news.html)

Sweet Addiction
06-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the Help!
Its great that I can talk with someone else other than the local mechanics, and I am not fully convinced they know what they are doing.

Boatcop
06-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Make sure you get Marine Type, USCG approved fuel lines. Automotive fuel hose won't last in the marine environment.

superdave013
06-03-2004, 07:34 PM
is the Holley fuel line that you hooked up to your carb a -6 or a -8?
A -8 is 1/2"
I would think a -6 line is all you need for a single 4150 holley.
I can help you out with the parts if need be. I'll even put the hose together for you.

Sweet Addiction
06-04-2004, 05:23 AM
I have not hooked up the lines yet. All I put on the carb is the crome dual feed inlet that Holley makes, so from here I need to run fuel line (hose) down to the fuel pump.
I think all I need to buy is the right size fuel line and the hose clamps on the ends, I was wanting to use steel braided lines. SO I am just needing some one to point me in the right diretion.

superdave013
06-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Well if you know exactly what you need I can hook you up with the parts for a great price. But you have to know what you need.
Need to know the thread size on the pump and fuel line. I would think they are some kind of NPT pipe thread. Could have an inverted flare on the pump. I don't know with out looking at it.
If you have a local speed shop you should take it over there for them to look at. And buy the parts from them as they are the local lifeline in your area for guys who wanna go fast but don't know how to do it.
Anyway, here is a pic of an engine with -8 fuel lines. I only went with -8 because the fuel log was set up the way when it came over to me. I still think a -6 is big enough for a 4150 holley.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9The_Dutch_Treat-med.JPG

Krumbsnatcher
06-04-2004, 07:08 AM
You will need to run a dash 8 line from your fuel rail to your pump. You said you want to run braided line ($$$). I just completed mine from the tank -8 to my pump straight -8 from my pump -8 90 degree to my fuel separator -8 90 degree out of my fuel separator -8 150 degree to another -8 90 degree to my fuel regulator and finally a -8 to the carb line.
Total cost in parts $400-500.
pm me if you have questions, where are you located?

Krumbsnatcher
06-04-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Well if you know exactly what you need I can hook you up with the parts for a great price. But you have to know what you need.
Need to know the thread size on the pump and fuel line. I would think they are some kind of NPT pipe thread. Could have an inverted flare on the pump. I don't know with out looking at it.
If you have a local speed shop you should take it over there for them to look at. And buy the parts from them as they are the local lifeline in your area for guys who wanna go fast but don't know how to do it.
Anyway, here is a pic of an engine with -8 fuel lines. I only went with -8 because the fuel log was set up the way when it came over to me. I still think a -6 is big enough for a 4150 holley.
VERY NICE!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9The_Dutch_Treat-med.JPG

KACHINA KEN
06-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Krumbsnatcher
You will need to run a dash 8 line from your fuel rail to your pump. You said you want to run braided line ($$$). I just completed mine from the tank -8 to my pump straight -8 from my pump -8 90 degree to my fuel separator -8 90 degree out of my fuel separator -8 150 degree to another -8 90 degree to my fuel regulator and finally a -8 to the carb line.
Total cost in parts $400-500.
pm me if you have questions, where are you located?
Yeah but the braided stuff is SOOOOOO sweet.
Kenny

superdave013
06-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Krumbsnatcher,
I plumbed that entier engine above in polished nickel for less then $350.00.
The carb log was the only thing I didn't supply.

cdog
06-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Is it legal to plumb your fuel system in Braided Steel? I am building my second boat right now and have heard that the Braided Steel is not Coast Gaurd approved. I know braided is better and stronger but if there was a problem would my insurance she-it at the braided steel lines?

cdog
06-04-2004, 10:24 AM
bump

superdave013
06-04-2004, 10:31 AM
That's a good question.
I'm thinking that companys like DCB use braided hose. Maybe they would have the answer.
Another guy to ask would be froggystyle as he's building new boats and should know. I don't think you'll be able to contact him until Monday though.
Anyway, spill the beans on what you're building! :)

superdave013
06-04-2004, 10:37 AM
I will say that AAA insured my schiada with braided lines on everything. They took lots of pics of the engine too.

cdog
06-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I used to have a Schiada 20ft. V-drive. Board member Brad P owns it now. I had all Braided Stainless on that boat also, but never had insurance on it. My new boat is a 29ft Shockwave. I built a pretty stout 540 BBC for it and it has a pretty extensive fuel system. I am running a Areomotive pump with the boost adjust regulator. My concern is that Braided Steel is not Coast Gaurd approved. Check out my pic. The boat came out of the mold last friday.

superdave013
06-04-2004, 11:18 AM
New boat looks great!
I've seen your old schiada before. Brad's keeping it up very nice.
That one looks like it was out of the mold that Howard later bought and sold as the 19'.
My schiada 20 look alot different. More like a mini 21' RC.
If you find out you can use the braided line keep me in mind. I would like a shot at quoting it. I'm in Anaheim too and I'll even do the labor if you want.
Here's my old bucket.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9Dsc01456-med.jpg

cdog
06-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey cool, your local. Give me your contact info so I can get ahold of you when the time is right. I call my old boat a 20ft'er because it was like 19.8. I guess I like to round it off. Your boat looks real nice. I, someday would like to get another Schiada V-Drive. Like a 21 river cruiser. I grew up with all of my dad's friends Schiada. They're kinda like a old Corvette or Camaro on the water, they get cooler as they get older. Let me know where in Anaheim and your tele #. PM me so it's stored in my ino.

superdave013
06-04-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm easy to get ahold of. Call me anytime on my cell at 714 814 2503.
I'm also at all the Long Beach High Performance swapmeets. Space 670
Dave Bottomley
Sweet Performance Products

Sweet Addiction
06-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I have located all the Parts I am going to need from a local Marine shop up the road near the local lake I run at.
I apprecite everyones feed back, comments, and suggestions that greatly helped me figured out the right decisions I should make to make by boat run properly.
Oh you guys want to hear something funny, went to the lake yesterday and the boat ran fine, but I had problems with my truck.
Always thought it was the other way around.

Krumbsnatcher
06-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Krumbsnatcher,
I plumbed that entier engine above in polished nickel for less then $350.00.
The carb log was the only thing I didn't supply.
What Brand? are they the swivel type?

superdave013
06-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Krumbsnatcher
What Brand? are they the swivel type?
They are my own brand. Myself and another started a company called Sweet Performance Products. We have both swivel and non swivel in red/blue and only got swivels in polished nickel for now. The price bewteen swivel and non swivel in so close that ya might as well get the swivels. We use hose from Parker.
We are looking for dealers now and retail sales in not our main plan. But we are just getting rolling so I'll pertty much sell to anyone with green in hand at this point.
Take advantage of me when I'm hungry! lol
If you would like to check them out let me know. Also I'll be at the Long Beach Swapmeet this sunday. Space 670