PDA

View Full Version : Howard Bullet Runs Over 113 Mph

TPI
04-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Just thought I would take a moment and share a great thing. We have bumped up the single engine 28-30' stern drive vee testing record over 3 mph. We made some changes to my 2005 Howard 28 Bullet and we ran it multiple times over 113 mph out in Havasu. We made these tests over by Black Meadow landing and the water was really nice. The boat felt like it was on a string and really charged hard............for a long time at WOT. 113.1 mph at 6050 rpm with a 32 lab and a 1.35 gear ratio was the slowest speed we recorded on three GPS's. We ended up running into a lot of people and shaking a few hands. We also got some video I am trying to download. Thanks to everyone that helped out, and if you are in the market for a 28 vee..............................drive one of those Howard Bullets, they are very good boats.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Record2806_005m.jpg

mbrown2
04-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Congrats...great number from a great boat...

Throttle
04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
sweet!

TPI
04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks Mike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that avatar doesnt look like your DCB?

INSman
04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Congrats once again Gary, same engine as before but with some tweaking ??!!??
p.s. Does your insurance company know that you are going this fast ?? :2purples: :idea: ;) :D

mbrown2
04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Sold the DCB....down to just 1 boat (Malibu) at this point...

Kilrtoy
04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
WHOLLY SHIT....
That is very impressive.....
Congrats on the testing...

TPI
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys :) (especially insman,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mad: )
I am still using the same engine(80 hours), with a "weekend tune up" so to speak. We will be back to inner tubing with it this summer :) You know who has a fast boat..............................Jay Photoglue(I am pretty sure it was him, not sure though) After all of our testing we pulled into a cove and switched everything(boost, prop, etc....)back to where I usually run the boat, and we motored back out toward the Channel through some crappy water(side rollors and such). We pulled up next to this fountain and it was big(40+') and we both hammered it. I know we we both going over 100 mph and he started to pull away from me immediately. I was VERY impressed with the smoothness and speed of that boat. Jay, if that was you, thats some boat. But thats crap, you have two motors in there!
It was an awesome Sunday and Monday on the lake, and I am just thrilled with the performance and handling of this boat. When is the next trip out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INSman
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Can you "tube" at 110 ??!!?? :220v:
Now you know why Howard has to get that twin 34' Bullet going, so we don't have to worry about those Fountains guys :jawdrop: :D

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Can you "tube" at 110 ??!!?? Apparently you haven't met RivertoysJas :D Rain, sleet, snow, nor 110 mph is going to stop him! :D

djunkie
04-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys :) (especially insman,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mad: )
I am still using the same engine(80 hours), with a "weekend tune up" so to speak. We will be back to inner tubing with it this summer :) You know who has a fast boat..............................Jay Photoglue(I am pretty sure it was him, not sure though) After all of our testing we pulled into a cove and switched everything(boost, prop, etc....)back to where I usually run the boat, and we motored back out toward the Channel through some crappy water(side rollors and such). We pulled up next to this fountain and it was big(40+') and we both hammered it. I know we we both going over 100 mph and he started to pull away from me immediately. I was VERY impressed with the smoothness and speed of that boat. Jay, if that was you, thats some boat. But thats crap, you have two motors in there!
It was an awesome Sunday and Monday on the lake, and I am just thrilled with the performance and handling of this boat. When is the next trip out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey don't feel bad. My boat will only run 70 and I've had him blow by me like I was standing still. :rollside:
Congrats. on the number GT. I hope someday soon it will be my turn put in my order for a new Bullett.

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:25 PM
GT, You're on the edge of refining v performance. Great job!

Redrider
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Okay I love my 2005 Bullet, but I need to find 30+ mph! LOL :cry:
Great Job GT! Oh ya, and Mike and Gene for building an awesome boat!
See ya easter weekend on the lake...

Huckleberry
04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Congrats on the awesome numbers!
If it was Jay, keep in mind his two motors are also pushing 42 feet of boat weighing somewhere around 11,000 pounds, not a 28 footer weigning around 4500. Sounds like a good race either way.

Hardly Satisfied
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
sweet now that is moving :rollside:

Charley
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Very Impressive #'s congrats!

TPI
04-04-2006, 05:21 AM
I am putting together some short video of this boat running well into the triple digits. I was wearing a helmet cam during the speed run, and I found that at those kind of speeds, a really good camara would make it much nicer to watch. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the video is still awesome, as I have watched it a few times, and its pretty unbelievable to be handling so smooth and flat at over 110 mph in a single engine V. I think you all will be impressed. I just have to figure out how to bring the video to this site. Its downloaded to my computer.
OH BTW, It would be pretty awesome for Howard to move forward with that "big" Bullet, and then lay down some really big numbers. But the fact is, there are some twin engine V's that are really moving now, and to out due them at this point would be a hell of an accomplishment. I seriously don't think the guys at Howard knew this 28 Bullet was going to handle this well. They just wanted a very nice competetive high end vee, that people could enjoy. I just feel that we need to know what the limit of this boat is. The funny thing is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I dont think we are there yet. :) A gentleman has contacted me, and apparently he wants a faster "better" 28 Bullet than mine(lol). You all will probably see this boat by the end of the year. It will be impressive, and have kind of an "east coast" look.

Jbb
04-04-2006, 05:25 AM
Very nice!......but can you steer with your knees at that speed?... :p

phebus
04-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Congratulations, does that mean you graduate up to a cat now? :)

That Guy
04-04-2006, 08:35 AM
LMAO..... :crossx:

Dave C
04-04-2006, 08:38 AM
damn thats nice!
which one of your motors are you using?

RiverToysJas
04-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Awesome!!!
How much HP are you running Gary?
RTJas :D

Racer277
04-04-2006, 09:29 AM
We saw you and Jay out there Sunday afternoon.
Very impressive stuff. Both beautiful boats.
I got a kick out of your buddy's KTM parked behind the bullet, you had a whole orange theme going on...
You know who has a fast boat..............................Jay Photoglue(I am pretty sure it was him, not sure though) After all of our testing we pulled into a cove and switched everything(boost, prop, etc....)back to where I usually run the boat, and we motored back out toward the Channel through some crappy water(side rollors and such). We pulled up next to this fountain and it was big(40+') and we both hammered it. I know we we both going over 100 mph and he started to pull away from me immediately. I was VERY impressed with the smoothness and speed of that boat. Jay, if that was you, thats some boat. But thats crap, you have two motors in there!

SBullet
04-04-2006, 02:24 PM
GT,
That is awesome!!! Congrats

HALLETT BOY
04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Looks like a photoshop of the GPS...you can't believe everything you see !

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Congrats on the awesome numbers!
If it was Jay, keep in mind his two motors are also pushing 42 feet of boat weighing somewhere around 11,000 pounds, not a 28 footer weigning around 4500. Sounds like a good race either way.
Speaking of Jay, anyone know what his boat runs? We were taking off out of Thompson bay next to him and a Mach 22 with twins and I hammered it after the no wake zone and did not see him until we got around the island to Windsor. I was showing 111 mph on the gps and was just wondering if Jay was running hard or not. I talked to jason in the mach at the ramp and he said the water was too rough for him to keep up. :)
Congrats on the bullet BTW, great speed. :cool:

Big Bear
04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by GT
You know who has a fast boat..............................Jay Photoglue(I am pretty sure it was him, not sure though) After all of our testing we pulled into a cove and switched everything(boost, prop, etc....)back to where I usually run the boat, and we motored back out toward the Channel through some crappy water(side rollors and such). We pulled up next to this fountain and it was big(40+') and we both hammered it. I know we we both going over 100 mph and he started to pull away from me immediately. I was VERY impressed with the smoothness and speed of that boat. Jay, if that was you, thats some boat. But thats crap, you have two motors in there!
That was Jay, I was with him and we had just finished outrunning that black helicopter and had turned back towards the channel. That Howard is really fast!! Jay commented as well, he was impressed. I think that pass was 118 for the Fountain. That boat is an amazing ride, really smooth and stable at those speeds.

BoatFloating
04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Speaking of Jay, anyone know what his boat runs? We were taking off out of Thompson bay next to him and a Mach 22 with twins and I hammered it after the no wake zone and did not see him until we got around the island to Windsor. I was showing 111 mph on the gps and was just wondering if Jay was running hard or not. I talked to jason in the mach at the ramp and he said the water was too rough for him to keep up. :)
I know one time in San Diego Jay was pushing 120 plus because he was right next to 3DO going under the Corondo bridge. The nice Harbor patrol informed us including Mr Sweeper (Skater) that we were speeding thru the 5mph zone.... :220v:

dicudmore
04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
congrats Gary :cool:
Saw you in town a couple times Monday.
As stated before I believe Jay's Fountain is in the 120 ballpark

cola
04-04-2006, 05:40 PM
congrats Gary :cool:
Saw you in town a couple times Monday.
As stated before I believe Jay's Fountain is in the 120 ballpark
I've seen the needle at 120 in the LBZ. fun :) :) :)

dicudmore
04-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I've seen the needle at 120 in the LBZ. fun :) :) :)
I think I was there that day :cool:

TPI
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
You probably could..................But the boat is so damn stable at that speed, you could let go of the steering wheel completely if you want to. That way it keeps your legs free for squeezing a beverage, as they(beverages) have a tendancy to fly out of the cup holders. :) Seriously, the boat is very stable at speed.
Not sure on the total HP, but the motor is based on a TPI 1000 quad rotor efi. I am sure it was making a bit more when we tested it. :)
I too was really impressed with Jays boat. We were riding those side rollers next too the bank at about 107 mph when he pulled away from us. My boat pulls very hard, and I felt like there was something wrong with it when I wasnt able to pull away from him and his 5-6 passengers! Very good times!
I think I can run over 115 mph with the "performance" tune up in some bigger water. Any boat will go faster in the chop. Monday was way better conditions for going fast. We found some 1+' chop that the boat just flew thru. Oh well, maybe another day. The boat runs good, and I am going to keep it.

HatenWinter
04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Gary,
Thats pretty friggen fast, Nemo kicks ass!

TPI
04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks man, "Nemo"(all orange 28 Bullet) has been pretty good to us.
And here is another "photoshop" pic for my good friend "halletboy".
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Record2806_018m.jpg

dicudmore
04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
haha nice "photoshop" work Gary...one of these days we'll see ya when you're not headed the opposite direction :cool:

Big Bear
04-04-2006, 07:57 PM
If that was Sat close to dusk we were leaving the Turtle taking it easy til That 22 with twins made a run at him. We hit 122 on that pass....awesome!!

INSman
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Gary
What is the big difference using the quad's versus the new 5.0 ??

Creator
04-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Here is a real photochop for ya, although I bet it won't be long before we see that bullet pulling these speeds!!! Congrats GT.
http://www.jumbocreations.com/record.jpg

TPI
04-05-2006, 05:57 AM
How the hell did you do that? LOL.....................You killed my buzz! Sheeeesh, Lets just put the needle on 115 now and it will save me a drum of race gas and a trip(joking). I seriously cannot tell that you did that to the speedo(scary). The only time the speedo ever goes there, is when I start the boat, and its calibrating itself.
Insman, The two biggest differences between the 5.0 and the quad:
1. The 5.0 is not done yet, but hopefully soon. It will be nice.
2. The quad is pretty low and flat. I could fit it under a flat hatch, and really be a sleeper. That low profile design is appealing to hot boaters.

HALLETT BOY
04-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Looks as bad as the first one...you're not fooling anyone, Gary !

TPI
04-05-2006, 07:43 AM
OK "halletboy"(lol) I will have to make a believer out of you at the lake. If we are ever out there at the same time, you will have to hop in and go for a ride. I guarantee, you will be impressed. This thing is just unreal.

Havasu Cig
04-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I know one time in San Diego Jay was pushing 120 plus because he was right next to 3DO going under the Corondo bridge. The nice Harbor patrol informed us including Mr Sweeper (Skater) that we were speeding thru the 5mph zone.... :220v:
Thanks for the info, 120 in a no wake could be a bad thing... :)

Havasu Cig
04-05-2006, 11:54 AM
If that was Sat close to dusk we were leaving the Turtle taking it easy til That 22 with twins made a run at him. We hit 122 on that pass....awesome!!
That was it. I was hoping to get either of you guys next to us but you must have got out of it before you passed me. I stayed in it until we were around the south west end of the island. You guys made a nice pass by windsor when I was waiting for the trailer and the boat looked like it was running well. :cool:

Cole Trickle
04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
We were wondering what that Orange howard had in it it seemed to put up a pretty good fight until around 100.
Here is a picture I shot while trying to hang on during that 118mph pass.(2 full tanks and 7 passengers)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491100_0302.jpg
We saw 121 right before dusk Saturday night heading back to Windsor.
I think we were able to pull away from just about everyone we came across. :crossx:
22 DCB with twins O/B's
30 Skater with twin O/B's
28 Bullet
Helicopter
etc..
That boat is stupid fast yet comfortably smooth :)

Havasu Cig
04-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Who's Skater was it? And are you sure it was a 30'? I am thinking it was a 28, but I know it was not me... :)

Cole Trickle
04-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Who's Skater was it? And are you sure it was a 30'? I am thinking it was a 28, but I know it was not me... :)
Could have been a 28' mostly white with black O/B's and a little color in the middle of the boat.(Perhaps a logo)
He seemed to let out in the high 90 range.

TPI
04-05-2006, 01:28 PM
You guys were scooting right along when that helicopter was above you. Thats what got my attention. What impressed me the most was the accelleration of that big Fountain. Everyone always tells me how fast my boat(28 Howard) accellerates, but as you said,,,,,,,,,,once we both hit 100+ you definately started to pull away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I also saw those evening runs in front of Windsor. They looked real nice.

KROOZIN
04-05-2006, 01:29 PM
We were wondering what that Orange howard had in it it seemed to put up a pretty good fight until around 100.
Here is a picture I shot while trying to hang on during that 118mph pass.(2 full tanks and 7 passengers)
I think we were able to pull away from just about everyone we came across. :crossx:
22 DCB with twins O/B's
28 Bullet
Helicopter
etc..
where's the Lifelines and kill switches.... :idea: :D
(damn hooligans)

Jordy
04-05-2006, 01:37 PM
(damn hooligans)
What about the beer bong??? Oops, I mean, at least his hand is on the wheel and he's not driving with his knee or passing the steering wheel around. :D

sigepmock
04-05-2006, 01:40 PM
(damn hooligans)
At least he has one hand on the wheel..... :cry: :crossx:

Havasu Cig
04-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Could have been a 28' mostly white with black O/B's and a little color in the middle of the boat.(Perhaps a logo)
He seemed to let out in the high 90 range.
Sounds a lot like this boat, But it must have been my twin because nobody passed me until I stopped at windsor... :) :cool:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pdddc3023ec8c7705fc7191ef25025f89/ef8dfb56.jpg
GPS Shot... ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pb85a3f0488672ceec4a40b49546ebdf3/ef8e0825.jpg

Cole Trickle
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Sounds a lot like this boat, But it must have been my twin because nobody passed me until I stopped at windsor... :) :cool:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pdddc3023ec8c7705fc7191ef25025f89/ef8dfb56.jpg
GPS Shot... ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pb85a3f0488672ceec4a40b49546ebdf3/ef8e0825.jpg
Nice boat and sweet numbers!! :crossx:
We ran the boat on Sunday around noon on the way from the Channel to Cottonwood.(Right before Copper Canyon)
I still think the boat had more color than yours in the logo and he seemed to let out before he was full speed?(Perhaps a yelling wife;))

Havasu Cig
04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Nice boat and sweet numbers!! :crossx:
We ran the boat on Sunday around noon on the way from the Channel to Cottonwood.(Right before Copper Canyon)
I still think the boat had more color than yours in the logo and he seemed to let out before he was full speed?(Perhaps a yelling wife;))
Not me then, we were off the water on sunday. My other 1/2 actually likes the speed... :) :cool:

Keith E. Sayre
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
I raced Jay one time in a very stout Talon and I would guess that he ran
about 125 or 126, I had no idea that it was that fast and it accelerated
very hard. And he had a handful of people in the boat too.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Jbb
04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I raced Jay one time in a very stout Talon and I would guess that he ran
about 125 or 126, I had no idea that it was that fast and it accelerated
very hard. And he had a handful of people in the boat too.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Answer the question Sayre!... :p
Was he driving with his knees at the time......and looking backward?

KROOZIN
04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Answer the question Sayre!... :p
Was he driving with his knees at the time......and looking backward?
Listen here...jerkin. beef. backwards :p
all stunt drivers are doin it nowadayz :D :D

Jbb
04-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Listen here...jerkin. beef. backwards :p
all stunt drivers are doin it nowadayz :D :D
Jerkin Beef Backwards.....lol....Thats the best you got..... :p

Jbb
04-05-2006, 04:15 PM
jabberin black bitch... :p
Wow.....unsafe....at any speed ....AND a racist!..... :eek:

Jbb
04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Obviously you didnt pay attention during sensitivity training.... :mad:

Big Bear
04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
That was it. I was hoping to get either of you guys next to us but you must have got out of it before you passed me. I stayed in it until we were around the south west end of the island. You guys made a nice pass by windsor when I was waiting for the trailer and the boat looked like it was running well. :cool:
When we left Thompson Bay behind you guys we were nursing it having come out of Naked Turtle and it definately takes some time to get that big Fountain on plane. I think Jay intended to run it easy around the island until that 22 tried him on. Awesome!! He made a pass or to while I was fetching the trailer. I think I was waiting next to you at the ramp.

Big Bear
04-05-2006, 05:00 PM
22 DCB with twins O/B's
28 Bullet
Helicopter
etc..
Amen to that Brandin!! Was that an incredible ride or what?! That was a great weekend with you guys. I had the time of my life. Looking forward to seeing you and Jen again!!
Robey

Fast Freddy
04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
(damn hooligans)
in a fountain you dont need them, lol. and according to his gauges it only takes 2.5 psi of boost at 5,500 rpm's to hit 114 mph!!! those must be some BIG displacement motors or his boost gauges are way off???

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Jay- are you down on boost and water pressure on the starboard motor?

GETSOME
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing...

Havasu Cig
04-06-2006, 08:19 AM
When we left Thompson Bay behind you guys we were nursing it having come out of Naked Turtle and it definately takes some time to get that big Fountain on plane. I think Jay intended to run it easy around the island until that 22 tried him on. Awesome!! He made a pass or to while I was fetching the trailer. I think I was waiting next to you at the ramp.
The runs by the ramp looked good. When I saw you guys, and Jason in his Mach I thought it would be a good three boat run, but maybe I did not wait long enough. Jason said the water was too rough to run in the triple digit range though so I guess it will have to be some other time... :cool:

Jbb
04-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Pfaff Motor...?... :D :D

Cole Trickle
04-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Amen to that Brandin!! Was that an incredible ride or what?! That was a great weekend with you guys. I had the time of my life. Looking forward to seeing you and Jen again!!
Robey
It was without a doubt a great weekend!!
We had a great time and I will roll with you any time :crossx:

Cole Trickle
04-06-2006, 08:24 AM
We were diverting water pressure and boost to the blender!!! :crossx:
I think he is getting off the throttle when the picture was taken.

Cole Trickle
04-06-2006, 08:25 AM
The runs by the ramp looked good. When I saw you guys, and Jason in his Mach I thought it would be a good three boat run, but maybe I did not wait long enough. Jason said the water was too rough to run in the triple digit range though so I guess it will have to be some other time... :cool:
That mach looked like a hairball scary fast ride. :220v:
What kind of speeds does he hit in that boat under perfect conditions?

Havasu Cig
04-06-2006, 08:37 AM
That mach looked like a hairball scary fast ride. :220v:
What kind of speeds does he hit in that boat under perfect conditions?
Set-up for top speed with the motors he has, probably in the 115 range. He is set-up more for speed alley type running though. I ran him last year in the same spot (around the island) and we were neck and neck until about 100-105 and then I started pulling him. My boat is running 10mph faster this year though with different set-up, so I don't think it would be as close. :)

Cole Trickle
04-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Set-up for top speed with the motors he has, probably in the 115 range. He is set-up more for speed alley type running though. I ran him last year in the same spot (around the island) and we were neck and neck until about 100-105 and then I started pulling him. My boat is running 10mph faster this year though with different set-up, so I don't think it would be as close. :)
Thats jamming!
Like you said you wouldn't want to hit a side roller at 100 in that boat. :crossx:
Is teh 117mph GPS reading what your boat runs now or are you 10mph over that!!!??? :idea: :rollside:

Havasu Cig
04-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Thats jamming!
Like you said you wouldn't want to hit a side roller at 100 in that boat. :crossx:
Is teh 117mph GPS reading what your boat runs now or are you 10mph over that!!!??? :idea: :rollside:
That's what it ran after the set-up changes. The day I ran that speed though I had weight in the boat and the water was glass, so not exactly perfect conditions. It definitely has at least 120 in it ( I have talked to some guys on the east coast running in the 121+ range with the same set-up) and I could probably go even a 1/2" higher on the motors but is running strong now with good water pressure so I don't want to mess with it.
When we were running with you guys around the island we had four people a lot of fuel (I need to stop filling it up but I don't trust the guages :) ) and a full cooler and I saw 111 on the gps. Can't ask for much more than that out of a 28' boat with stock 300x's. :cool:

PHOTOGLOU
04-06-2006, 01:58 PM
in a fountain you dont need them, lol. and according to his gauges it only takes 2.5 psi of boost at 5,500 rpm's to hit 114 mph!!! those must be some BIG displacement motors or his boost gauges are way off???
The Starbert motor has a low water situation ( throught the intercooler NOT MOTOR) and Gary Teague is fixing that right now, So I keep the Starbert motor back approx 1/16 of the port motor. But I noticed that in this picture and it does concern me alot.....

Havasu Hangin'
04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
The Starbert motor has a low water situation ( throught the intercooler NOT MOTOR) and Gary Teague is fixing that right now, So I keep the Starbert motor back approx 1/16 of the port motor. But I noticed that in this picture and it does concern me alot.....
With 5lbs of water pressure, I think you run the risk of a steam pocket...probably not good for the head(s).
If it's not a restriction in the intake side, Gary will probably weld some restrictors on the exit side (exhaust) to build some pressure.

TPI
04-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Regarding the Howard Bullet(lol) I am going to try and post a short video from the speed runs. I have to say I bought this "Tony Hawk" helmet cam online for $84 just for fun. It came with the software and everything. We used it for the whole video, editing, and music. It is by no means top quality, but it is pretty fun to record stuff with. It bounces around a little bit, but I guess I am probably exceeding what it was designed for. I will have it up soon I hope. It's on a CD now, and I am trying to find a place to put it on the web. My site will not take it for some reason? It's entertaining to watch, so watch for it.
And Jay, I am sure I will see you out there again.......................maybe I will be able to keep up next time? :)

PHOTOGLOU
04-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Regarding the Howard Bullet(lol) I am going to try and post a short video from the speed runs. I have to say I bought this "Tony Hawk" helmet cam online for $84 just for fun. It came with the software and everything. We used it for the whole video, editing, and music. It is by no means top quality, but it is pretty fun to record stuff with. It bounces around a little bit, but I guess I am probably exceeding what it was designed for. I will have it up soon I hope. It's on a CD now, and I am trying to find a place to put it on the web. My site will not take it for some reason? It's entertaining to watch, so watch for it.
And Jay, I am sure I will see you out there again.......................maybe I will be able to keep up next time? :)
Next weekend I will be out in Havasu... When are you going again??

TPI
04-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Its probably going to be at least 3 weeks for me. I have a couple engines that have to be done in June and I am good about keeping my word on timeframes. I was lucky to sneak away for a few days.................Once I finish up some work, I am going to be bouncing between Mead, Mohave and Havasu a bunch with my family........................I seriously cannot wait. I will try and meet up with you at some point.

INSman
04-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Okay you two "Go fast guys" !!! :)
I am just jealous :cool:

TPI
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Here is some video of the recent testing done on the Howard 28 Bullet. All of the High speed footage with the $84 "Tonyhawk" helmet cam was done at well over 100 mph. In fact there is one particular run where you will see the needle well over 110 mph for a while. Kinda hard to keep the head from bobbing in the wind. The side video was taken at a 60 mph pace. I really would like to do this with some quality equipment someday............Oh well, it was just for fun, and to make believers out of some guys that I can never seem to hook up a ride with. The boat runs flat and fast. Enjoy....................also, any questions about the boat or whatever feel free to ask away.......................
Gary
http://www.videoegg.com/link/2e03905b346f02ae0ff4a:3521

FASTERDAMITT
04-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Gary, there's a couple out there that are in the hunt. Superboat and Activator. Have you seen these yet? Granted these are offshore hulls which should be slower but damn thier kicken some but!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new website is up for Activator Boats... www.activatorboats.com
Definitly check them out!! They are in the process of adding pictures and further developing the website, but here are a few action shots of the first 29'9 complete that ran 112+ with a 950hp blower motor!!!http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117444&highlight=FASTEST+SINGLE
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478act90.JPG
*Another Activator
This boat ran 117 on GPS with my 1000HP in ideal conditions behind MRD.It is a 565 with no intercooler and an 871
And another: My 32 Activator has run 113 with only 875 HP.I plan on running 125 with 1200 HP and a #6 hanging of the back
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478JC_Activator.jpg
Superboat in the works: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 3 months ago, a friend of mine who does turbine conversions contacted me. Wanted to know if I could build a Superboat Y2K with a 6' long engine compartment, to accommodate a 1200 HP turbine. This Y2K would be for a wealthy customer of his. I went over it with Bob, and we agreed it was feasible. JC originally said no. But I talked him into it.
Erick, the turbine guy had 3 boats in mind. A Kryptonite, a Activator 29, or a Y2K. The Superboat Y2K was the winner.
Now...........Instead of a 1200 HP Turbine, the guy has a 1400 HP Turbine, with a zero effort tranny, and a Sage # 8 drive.
Don't even ask me how fast it's gonna go. I have nooooo idea. It's going to be one sick machine. Who knows.... maybe it'll get into Extreme Boating Magazine.
I was thinking around 125 mph with the 1200. I can't even think of what a 1400 hp will do.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/478DSCN1593_Large_.JPG
Rick
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116625

TPI
04-09-2006, 01:35 AM
That is awesome man. I am seriously impressed. I know there are a couple of manufacturers out there that can really run some numbers. My big pitch on this Howard is the handling. It doesnt care if its a 3" ripple or 2' white cap it handles just as well as it goes fast. I have driven a lot of boats, and this Howard Bullet is the smoothest most stable handling single engine vee by far that I have ever run, and its fast too. This orange boat is not a race boat by any means. It would be cool to lay up a kinda light Bullet, with , more of an offshore racing interior and puth the power to it. Tha would be fun.
I will have my eye on those activators, and I hope that they are able to have some test drivers from the performance mags drive them and give them an awesome write up. I know the fact that Howard has brought these great handling Bullets to the performance trials for others to drive them, has really boosted their sales over the years. Thanks for the pics, I am always watching those "other" vees.

NOTALENT
04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Here is another pic of Jay (Photoglou) GPS from this past weekend going out to Catalina...We hit 120mph...but damn....I couldnt keep the arm steady.... :crossx: Shit was bad ass though. Great time. Thank's again Jay.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/916Picture_059.jpg

Havasu Cig
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM
5500 rpm @ 108-109 he must be spinning those motors pretty high to get 120?
10# of boost as well, WOW. I was spinning the blower motor in my DCB to 5800 at 11#'s and it did not live long.

Cole Trickle
04-10-2006, 11:39 AM
5500 rpm @ 108-109 he must be spinning those motors pretty high to get 120?
10# of boost as well, WOW. I was spinning the blower motor in my DCB to 5800 at 11#'s and it did not live long.
I believe he see's the higher MPH by trimming the motors.

Havasu Cig
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I believe he see's the higher MPH by trimming the motors.
I don't doubt the rpms, I was just wondering how high the motors were spinning (and surviving). Must be close to 6k I would think?

Cole Trickle
04-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't doubt the rpms, I was just wondering how high the motors were spinning (and surviving). Must be close to 6k I would think?
I think they spin to 5500?
In the picture I took while on Havasu we were at 118mph at the same RPM as Brandon's picture.

Havasu Cig
04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
In the picture I took while on Havasu we were at 118mph at the same RPM as Brandon's picture.
Different conditions, weight etc... :cool:

NOTALENT
04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
This could have been the moment we were trimmed up shooting some roost....So it may not be accurate... :crossx:

NOTALENT
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Different conditions, weight etc... :cool:
7 People....a whole lotta Patron, Goose & Redbull, beer and some nice size BOLT ONS!!! :crossx:

Havasu Cig
04-10-2006, 11:58 AM
7 People....a whole lotta Patron, Goose & Redbull, beer and some nice size BOLT ONS!!! :crossx:
:D :D

Havasu Hangin'
04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
PSIs, I believe.

NOTALENT
04-10-2006, 12:54 PM
:D :D
I took pictures...well I thought I did, but I guess my camera was on movie mode!!!! :mad: Now I have to figure out how to fix this... :crossx:

Liquid Courage
04-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey Gary, congrats on the run. Steve said you guys gave it hell! Hope you charged him for gas money!! :D :D Hope to see you in Havasu at the end of the month.
Tank

PHOTOGLOU
04-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Its probably going to be at least 3 weeks for me. I have a couple engines that have to be done in June and I am good about keeping my word on timeframes. I was lucky to sneak away for a few days.................Once I finish up some work, I am going to be bouncing between Mead, Mohave and Havasu a bunch with my family........................I seriously cannot wait. I will try and meet up with you at some point.
Looking forward to it....

PHOTOGLOU
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Here is another pic of Jay (Photoglou) GPS from this past weekend going out to Catalina...We hit 120mph...but damn....I couldnt keep the arm steady.... :crossx: Shit was bad ass though. Great time. Thank's again Jay.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/916Picture_059.jpg
Couple of things.... First Gary was able to find a piece of a water pump impellor blocking a line to the intercooler on the Starbert motor.... These are my Ocean props and 120 MPH is at approx 5900 RPM 32 pitch 4 blade 18" dia cleavers.... boat is set at 6500 RPM limiter and motors have 80 Hours on them since rebuild. Havasu props are 34 pitch 17 1/4 dia 4 blade cleavers and at 5900 boat will run high 120's.....
GT whenever your running somewhere for a weekend I would love to hang out.... Seen noting but strong pulling boats your driving....