PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitches...

summerlove
06-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Where the best place to get a heavy duty hitch. Right now I have a 6" drop that I reverse and there's not enough support for my comfort. Any ideas? Thanks....

hboldno7
06-08-2004, 03:35 PM
U-Haul

HavasuDreamin'
06-08-2004, 03:41 PM
RV shop.

shadow
06-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Where the best place to get a heavy duty hitch. Right now I have a 6" drop that I reverse and there's not enough support for my comfort. Any ideas? Thanks....
summerlove,I've got a stout one I've been using,towing my 27 shadow with.I won a custom billet one at op6.you can have my old one if you want.I live in Havasu and am in Parker almost every weekend.just pm me and we can meet up when you are in the area.

AdrenelineOD
06-08-2004, 03:49 PM
I got a 9" drop from uhaul and It works great.

summerlove
06-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by shadow
summerlove,I've got a stout one I've been using,towing my 27 shadow with.I won a custom billet one at op6.you can have my old one if you want.I live in Havasu and am in Parker almost every weekend.just pm me and we can meet up when you are in the area.
That'd be cool....Do yo use the drop or do you reverse it? My problem is that my trailer rides high and I need to inverse the 6" drop and place the ball on the bottom of the mount, thus making the mount weak at the angle if that makes sense....I just don't want the mount to snap on my way to Powell next month...

Scream
06-08-2004, 04:25 PM
If you lived anywhere around here, I'd suggest Riverside Hitch. The sell the best Reese stuff. Nuthin fancy, just real sturdy equipment imo.

Havasu Hangin'
06-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Scream
If you lived anywhere around here, I'd suggest Riverside Hitch. The sell the best Reese stuff. Nuthin fancy, just real sturdy equipment imo.
I'd agree on Riverside Hitch- they were also the cheapest brick and mortar retailer around.
I went with the Reese Titan (http://www.reeseproducts.com) (it's a Class V- 2 1/2" sleeve) and I bought the weight distributing setup. I installed the hitch in about 45 minutes- piece of cake...4 holes drilled and a torque wrench.
Ever see a shank with a 6" drop that is rated at 17K lbs and 1,700 lbs tongue weight?
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/hitch.jpg
Shop around at www.etrailer.com, www.reese-hitches.com, and www.reesehitch.com. I got my hitch from etrailer (no tax delivered to my door), and the shank from Riverside Hitch.

shadow
06-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Ever see a shank with a 6" drop that is rated at 17K lbs and 1,700 lbs tongue weight?
Nope but I got one rated at 10,000lbs:D

phebus
06-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Shadow, that hitch you won at OP6 is awesome. Lucky dog!!

Mandelon
06-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Summerlove, try Express Muffler and Hitch on Balboa just west of 163.

dicudmore
06-08-2004, 06:01 PM
try alumi-stinger (www.ultrahitch.com)
rated for 14,000, my 2 5/16 ball weighs more than the rest of the receiver, the thing is solid too :D
they're about $30

shadow
06-08-2004, 06:08 PM
dicudmore, nice meeting you last weekend.:)

dicudmore
06-08-2004, 06:14 PM
nice meeting you and mrs shadow as well :D
diggin' that stereo.....
time to upgrade mine

JustMVG
06-08-2004, 06:25 PM
I've had the Alumi stinger for two years and haven't had any concerns i'm towing a 21' Ultra LX 454 and Dom jet, they look great too!

OGShocker
06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Can you put a hitch on a Volvo?:D

summerlove
06-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
no, but I can put one on my 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 Offroad 4 WD!;) that gets 14 mpg!:(
I need it to pull my 7,500 boat and trailer combo to Lake Powell where I will help contribute to the local fuel economy at that location as well since I get 7 MPG pulling the boat!:eek:
BTW, how's that H2 of your's working out?

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
You meant Toyota Prius, right? ;)

summerlove
06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
You meant Toyota Prius, right? ;)
oh, and since I drive 100 miles Rt each day in the Suburban, a prius would be a wise move don't you think? No way - total comfort and the way I look at it is I have the "Gross Tonnage Rule" working for me -- he who has the most tons wins! I like my chances in the burb much better....
Did I also say my wife drives 120 miles RT each day as well?
Needless to say, my monthly gas bill is more than the payment on my Havasu home!:eek:

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
oh, and since I drive 100 miles Rt each day in the Suburban, a prius would be a wise move don't you think? No way - total comfort and the way I look at it is I have the "Gross Tonnage Rule" working for me -- he who has the most tons wins! I like my chances in the burb much better....
Did I also say my wife drives 120 miles RT each day as well?
Needless to say, my monthly gas bill is more than the payment on my Havasu home!:eek:
Actually I do think you are right Summer. I was just yanking your chain... LOL...
Honestly if I had a long commute I'd consider something small if not hybrid. Like a go cart with a sewing machine for an engine... something that got 30 plus MPG.
Those gas bills as high as the house payment would get old!
Now I didn't get if you were looking for a different Drawbar or hitch for the truck.