PDA

View Full Version : what size box?

Spectra19
06-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Looking at mounting some 10s in the front bulkhead on my Spectra. And my question is what size boxes do I need to put those in? I know that each speaker is differant but just looking for a close size so I can figure a few other things out first. Also let me know what you think 10s or 12s what would you do? Also going to run either 4 6x9s or 6.5s what do you think there also. It is a low freeboard boat and not going for any competition stuff just want some good sound.
Thanks for any info!

riverbound
06-13-2004, 09:50 PM
The size of the box will be determined by what the woofer requires. Generally a 10 will require from .75 cu. ft. to 1.0 cu. ft. and a 12 will require form 1. to 1.5 cu. ft.
I have a spectra 18 and I put in 4 6x9s ( two on rear seat base and two on side panels by front seats) I put my woofers up under the bow in boxes mounted to the forward facing side of the bulkhead. my woofers point up (so I can throw stuff under the bow still. I also ran 12" woofers. I put the amps on the rear facing side of the bulkhead with fans blowing directly on the circuit boards.
As far as equipment goes I used eclipse 6x9s,Orion xtr 12s wrong woofer for a marine application (paper cone and foam surround but they were free so I cant complain) Eclipse Premium series amps (I wold recommend Rockford or JL (but again they were free so I cant complain) A pioneer dehp640mp w/ xm radio.
I am going to be redoing my boat real soon and will be changing the deck to the new MB Quart marine radio with the wired remote, the amps will be going to the new rockford power series, Speakers will be going to mb quart reference 6x9s and the new marine rockford woofers. And I will also be building a set of our removable 6x9 pods for when I am parked or floating.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_350-med.jpg

ROZ
06-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Since you're just figuring out.... the specs that RB stated on for the enclosure are internal dimensions. Make sure you add the thickness of the wood since you're just figuring how you plan to get things squashed under the dash. If you just need good sound and plan to mount the subs under the deck, I'd consider using a JL10(or 12)w0, DD9500 series, Adire Audio, or a Fosgate equivelent. All will cover up to 300 watt sub amp reliably without breaking the bank. I f you plan to go for more power, you'll need to step up. Since you're just looking to have good sound, a good single sub may handle what you need.....

Spectra19
06-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the input ! Like I said it is a ways off maybe not even this year if boat is not done. Just trying to cover all my bases when time allows.