PDA

View Full Version : You Pay at the Pump ??? Read This !

Liberator TJ1984
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Paying At The Pump With Debit Card Can Siphon Bank Account
Banks Put Money On Hold When Debit Card Is Used
POSTED: 10:08 am CDT April 4, 2006
UPDATED: 10:19 am CDT April 4, 2006
SAN ANTONIO -- A growing number of consumers who use debit cards to pay for gasoline at the pump are finding out the hard way that the convenience is costing them money.
Molly Cordova, of San Antonio, said that checks are bouncing and that her bank is charging her overdraft fees -- even if there is money in the account to pay for the transactions.
"This check bounced. This check bounced. But the money was in there," Cordova said in an interview with KSAT 12 News.
The reason? When Cordova swipes her debit card at the gasoline pump, the convenience store asks a bank to preauthorize a certain amount of money. The bank then puts a hold on that amount for several days.
The preauthorized amount at Valero gasoline convenience stores is $50. At Wal-Mart, it's $75. :220v:
Due to an increasing amount of complaints, San Antonio Federal Credit Union, where Cordova has her bank account, reduced the amount of time it places money on hold from five to two days.
Consumers are urged to check with their banks to see if it places money on hold for debit purchases at the pump and for how long.
Problems can also be avoided by choosing credit instead of debit or inputing a personal identification number, which in theory makes the debit purchase immediate. Cash is always an option as well, which Cordova now uses.
"I've been paying cash," Cordova said. "But every time I see someone paying debit, I feel like running up to them (and saying) 'Don't do it.'"

Redwing247
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Most gas stations set the limit at $99.99

BajaMike
04-04-2006, 12:46 PM
My bank.....or station i go to....puts a pre-authorization of $1.00.
:rollside:

RiverRatMike
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
here in Havasu the limit at TH is $49.00

beer truck
04-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I have just the oposite problem. My bank puts a $75.00 authorization on my card, and the pumps will automaticly stop when they reach that amount. I can never fill my tanks before they shut the pump down. This was a problem for both my Hummer, and now the pickup.

Liberator TJ1984
04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I have just the oposite problem. My bank puts a $75.00 authorization on my card, and the pumps will automaticly stop when they reach that amount. I can never fill my tanks before they shut the pump down. This was a problem for both my Hummer, and now the pickup.
I hear ya !!! F'n fuel prices :cry:
I have had this Checking problem also ..that is what brought this to my attention....I only keep $300-$500 in my Plasti-Check acct. in case it gets stolen ? I won't get ripped too bad... just sometimes I would try to use it at a Resturaunt or store and it would be denied when I Knew I had money still left in there !!! NOW I Know Why it was declined :rolleyes:

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 01:52 PM
I think some of you guys are confusing pre authorization with pump credit / debit limits. At our stations (76) if you use your card at the pump it does not pre authorize an amount but the pumps do stop at $75.00. We actually had to ask for a $25.00 increase over the previous limit of $50.00, but with this we can also get stuck having to pay the additional $25.00 if something happens with the transaction and it is disputed (stolen card etc...).
If someone comes into the store and ask to "fill it up" we will pre authorize whatever amount the customer ask for and then adjust the bill to what is actually pumped. I can't see the bank putting a hold on this amount when the charge is adjusted after pumping, but I guess that would depend on the bank.

the_gray_goose
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I think some of you guys are confusing pre authorization with pump credit / debit limits. At our stations (76) if you use your card at the pump it does not pre authorize an amount but the pumps do stop at $75.00. We actually had to ask for a $25.00 increase over the previous limit of $50.00, but with this we can also get stuck having to pay the additional $25.00 if something happens with the transaction and it is disputed (stolen card etc...).
If someone comes into the store and ask to "fill it up" we will pre authorize whatever amount the customer ask for and then adjust the bill to what is actually pumped. I can't see the bank putting a hold on this amount when the charge is adjusted after pumping, but I guess that would depend on the bank.
Can you explain the logic behind the pump credit/debt limits?
This always drives me nuts that I have to swipe the card multiple times to fill up. What is the differents if it is one transaction for $80, or two transactions, one for $50 and one for $30? on the same pump, at the same time.
This allways drives me krazy. I actually avoid stations that have a $50 limit,
and find the ones that are atleased high enough to fill my suburban in one transaction.
The guy with the stollen card can swipe it as many times as I can with my good card can't he?

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Can you explain the logic behind the pump credit/debt limits?
This always drives me nuts that I have to swipe the card multiple times to fill up. What is the differents if it is one transaction for $80, or two transactions, one for $50 and one for $30? on the same pump, at the same time.
This allways drives me krazy. I actually avoid stations that have a $50 limit,
and find the ones that are atleased high enough to fill my suburban in one transaction.
The guy with the stollen card can swipe it as many times as I can with my good card can't he?
In our case ConocoPhillips will only pay us back for $50.00 per transaction if the charge is disputed and refunded such as in the case of a stolen card. I had to sign an agreement with them that I would cover the extra $25.00 in case of this happening in order for them to raise my pump limits. From talking to my rep I think it falls back on the credit card companies and what they will cover. Believe me it drives me crazy as well when I am out of town buying gas.

Rexone
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
My suburban fillup is pushing 100 bucks again now. It is quite aggravating when the pump is set to 50 or 75 dollars. The gas cos and banks need to get their shit together and get the limits up to correspond with the product they're selling and stop living in the 90's. I always have to do 2 transactions now to fill up. It's quite stupid and aggravating and when I find a station with a 100 dollar limit I go out of my way a little to frequent it. Especially when they have fast pumps (another pet peeve of mine with gas stations that have pumps that cruise along like they're pumping molassis).

the_gray_goose
04-04-2006, 04:50 PM
In our case ConocoPhillips will only pay us back for $50.00 per transaction if the charge is disputed and refunded such as in the case of a stolen card. I had to sign an agreement with them that I would cover the extra $25.00 in case of this happening in order for them to raise my pump limits. From talking to my rep I think it falls back on the credit card companies and what they will cover. Believe me it drives me crazy as well when I am out of town buying gas.
Thanks for the info. That helps me understand somewhat.
I still don't see the logic of the gas and credit companies on this.
The guy with the stollen card can swipe it just as may times as I can if it has not been reported stollen yet.
what is the difference to them if they cover one frodulent transaction for $150
or three for $50.
This must drive you crazy as a station owner.
Thanks again for the info.