PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Popping

Speedin' Ian
06-14-2004, 07:43 PM
I have a Pioneer 7600 series cd player in my truck with one four channel kenwood amp powering the mids and highs, and a JBL amp powering the subs. The problem is I have a whinning noise that incresaes with the rpm's of the motor, which I am assuming is caused by the RCA cables crossing the power cable. The other problem I am having is my speakers pop everytime I change the station or I skip a song on a cd. What is causing all these problems? Could it be my cheap RCA's or my cap? Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
06-14-2004, 08:05 PM
It is an old wives tail running power wires next to RCAs causes noise.
The whining is a ground loop. Make sure the grounds on your amps and head unit are sufficient. To me, it sounds like your head unit needs help.
Disconnect your RCAs, and see if the noise goes away. If it does, the head unit needs help. If not, check the power and ground on the amp.

Speedin' Ian
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hope it's not my head unit because I just got it. Right Now I have the amps grounded to the body using an existing bolt, 8 guage wire, and a crimp fitting. Does that sound right? Should I sand the paint away?

ROZ
06-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
Should I sand the paint away? Metal to metal contact gives you the best ground...

Havasu Hangin'
06-15-2004, 03:31 AM
I hope it's not my head unit because I just got it. Right Now I have the amps grounded to the body using an existing bolt, 8 guage wire, and a crimp fitting. Does that sound right? Should I sand the paint away?
It could just be the install on the head unit (that's what I meant by "needs help"). Make sure it has a solid ground, as well.
Like Roz said, get rid of the paint.
Also, where are your gains set at?

riverbound
06-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Check your grounds and your gains the popping noise is most likely due to the fact that your gains are set to high and you are running a high voltage head unit. We have this problem on our display because we have to generically tune the amps to run with all the head units that are on display and the high voltage decks have a little bit if noise in them. You can also buy a filter that should get rid of the engine whine but if you readjust your amo you might be fine.

rivercrazy
06-15-2004, 09:19 AM
I agree also on the amp gain topic. I have a 4V preout head unit. When I first installed my system I did get a little hissing and CD changer motor noise. My grounds were fine.
Then I retuned the amps and the noise was gone. Turn your head unit up about 85-90% full volume with all your gains turned to minimum. Then slowly increase the amp gain setting until you just start to hear distortion. Then back off a little. That should help reduce the noise problem to a minimum:)

Mr. Naudio
06-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
It is an old wives tail running power wires next to RCAs causes noise.
BULLSHIT
If they are not of the finest quality (rca and power wire) and ran with each other you will most definetly get alternator whine.
Agree though that ground loops are more common.
And that the paint should be removed.

Mr. Naudio
06-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hope it's not my head unit because I just got it. Right Now I have the amps grounded to the body using an existing bolt, 8 guage wire, and a crimp fitting. Does that sound right? Should I sand the paint away?
New things are always most subject.
8 guage for 2 amps ?
Power and ground should be of same guage.
Is the head unit shuting off when yoy change stations ect.
Did you get a bigger Alt, with the cap?

riverbound
06-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
BULLSHIT
If they are not of the finest quality (rca and power wire) and ran with each other you will most definetly get alternator whine.
Agree though that ground loops are more common.
And that the paint should be removed.
I have many times ran the cheap rcas with the power wire and had no engine noise. Not that it is recommended. But doing this does NOT guarantee engine noise.

Havasu Hangin'
06-16-2004, 06:28 PM
If they are not of the finest quality (rca and power wire) and ran with each other you will most definetly get alternator whine..
Have you ever done it?
When I was installing, the same old wives tail was around. Then...some EEs corrected everyone. I didn't believe it until I installed the same system both ways- no noise.
My last system had a full 4 feet of RCA and 12v DC run together- no worries. I guess it has something to do with 12v DC not gererating enough of a field to be picked up by a shielded RCA.
On the other hand, speaker wires (AC current) are another story.
PS- please don't yell...it gives me a headache.

77charger
06-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I agree also on the amp gain topic. I have a 4V preout head unit. When I first installed my system I did get a little hissing and CD changer motor noise. My grounds were fine.
Then I retuned the amps and the noise was gone. Turn your head unit up about 85-90% full volume with all your gains turned to minimum. Then slowly increase the amp gain setting until you just start to hear distortion. Then back off a little. That should help reduce the noise problem to a minimum:) Sounds like the same advice i got.:D
I also have the amp ground going strait to the battery.4 gage wire for a 600 watt amp

Speedin' Ian
06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Well here's the deal. First thing I did was disconnect the RCA's and start the engine = no whine. So then I reconnected the RCA's and made sure I had a good ground, hooked it all up and set my gains slightly above the middle = sounds great, untill I start the engine, then the whine came back and everytime I change the station I get a loud pop.
So this is how I have it set-up now. I have the new pioneer deck wired with a factory kit so the deck is grounded to the factory ground. I have two amps supplied with 4 guage power cable that runs into a distribution block and splits into two short 8 guage wires (the sub amp has a cap). Connecting the amps are three sets of radio shack RCA's which are seperate from the power cable except for one spot where they cross, and a real small wire that turns them on (forget what that wire is called).
So now what are my options? Do you think my gain is turned too loud (the deck has 4 or 5 volt pre-amps). Should I find a different ground for my deck? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Havasu Hangin'
06-17-2004, 04:04 AM
Do you think my gain is turned too loud (the deck has 4 or 5 volt pre-amps). Should I find a different ground for my deck? Thanks for all the suggestions.
Yes, and yes.
If the whine does not change with the volume on the head unit, it is a ground loop (you are hearing alternator noise). As an experiment, try running another beefy ground to the head unit and see if it goes away. Try the same on the amps until you isolate which ground it is.
If the noise increases as you turn up the volume, then the head unit is getting noise (probably through the power/ground). Once again, try running a different power/ground (I never trust the factory stuff).
On the gains, turn them all the way down. Then, turn the head unit up to 95%. Slowly bring the gains up (on amp at a time- disconnect the remote turn-on wire on the others) until you start to hear some distortion, then back it down a hair.

Mr. Naudio
06-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Have you ever done it?
Yes i have solved engine noise problems by separating signal
and power wires.
More than once.
HH
Sorry if you took offense none ment.
I know you are right on most accounts here.
PS.
I am an installer. (certifiable)
In this case i would b-line run new rca,s to rule them out although i still agree that this is not likley the prob here.
Sounds to me Like a head unit issue as well.
Because Of the poping when just changing stations.
Also the noise could be a bad altinater.
Or the system could be in a Ford wich seem to be prone to noise of this kind.
Or
Or
Or
A reputable shop would look at for free.

ROZ
06-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Common, utter the word..... :p

riverbound
06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
PS.
Are you saying you are certified or you could be certified if you took the test?

Havasu Hangin'
06-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Yes i have solved engine noise problems by separating signal
and power wires.
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022690#000005
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021564;p=
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022166
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021681

Mr. Naudio
06-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
Are you saying you are certified or you could be certified if you took the test?
Was saying that Iam loony.
But do have 2 minor certifications from MECP.
Mostly just like to discuss (or argue ) about audio equipment.
I am only here for the fun of it .
And the amusement of others like yourself.

Mr. Naudio
06-17-2004, 04:35 PM
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022690#000005
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021564;p=
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022166
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021681
I didnt think this was the first debate on the subject.
Still dont change what Ive seen with my own eyes.
I will agree that it could have been coincidence.
The signal wires could have been poorly shielded or somthing
seperation did solve the problem on more than one occassion
though.

Speedin' Ian
06-22-2004, 03:09 PM
First off thank you for all the help. Now for my ongoing struggles, today I pulled the truck in the driveway to try some of the things you guys suggested and as I pulled in the stereo quit working. Actually the stereo was still working, but there was no sound, so I think the remote on/off is fried. I know I'm getting power to the amps and I hooked up new bigger grounds to everything but still no music. So then I pulled out the deck and ran a new remote on off wire, but still no music. So now I think my deck is ruined which sucks, because I just bought it and it was kinda spendy. My next step was going to be installing another head unit I have and if the stereo works I'll assume my other head unit is toast. The biggest pisser of all is I have both the Best Buy warranty and the Pioneer warranty but I can't find my receipt. Do you guys know of any good places I should send it, or is it not worth it?

Havasu Hangin'
06-22-2004, 03:40 PM
If you think that you fried the remote wire...just run a small jumper wire from the positive block on the amp to the remote terminal- that will get the amp to fire.
If you still have no music...then it's not the remote wire.
If the stereo quit working, maybe the ground was not on correctly.
Next...check the fuses.

Jrocket
06-22-2004, 04:21 PM
PS.
Waiting for shameless spam now.

ROZ
06-23-2004, 11:03 AM
The biggest pisser of all is I have both the Best Buy warranty and the Pioneer warranty but I can't find my receipt. Do you guys know of any good places I should send it, or is it not worth it?
If BestBuy records your name and phone number upon purchasing products, it's likely they can look it up under your personal information. I know we do....
If it was the 760 I'd def exchange it for ya. Maybe Riverbound carries Pioneer and could help you out...

ROZ
06-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Waiting for shameless spam now. If he infact works for the shop I think he works for, it wouldn't be shameless... I think he'd actually benefit if he said something about it....
That's for him to do if he decides to....

riverbound
06-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
If BestBuy records your name and phone number upon purchasing products, it's likely they can look it up under your personal information. I know we do....
If it was the 760 I'd def exchange it for ya. Maybe Riverbound carries Pioneer and could help you out...
I only carry the Premier line but if it is a 760 I will swap it. Did you check to see that none of your speaker wires are shorted? A lot of the time when a radio is still on and is looks like it is working but no sound comes out that usually indicates a shorted speaker wire. If all else fails give me a call I can refer you to a repair center. (909)481-8411 but it would be better for you could find your receipt.

ROZ
06-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
but it would be better for you could find your receipt.
If you paid with a credit card, your cc statement should reflect the sale...

Speedin' Ian
06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Alright so the remote on/off wasn't fried, it turns out the fuse right next to the battery was bad. THe kicker is it looked fine, but seperated from the base, so you couldn't tell just by looking at it. So the stereo is working again, but I still have the loud pop when I change stations, and a slight whine that increases with engine rpm. I've already put new larger grounds to both of the amps so know I am going to run a new, larger, ground and power source to the deck.
One other thing I didn't mention is the popping noise only started when I installed my new Kenwwod amp for the mids and highs, it always had the slight whine, but no pop.

riverbound
06-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Did you lower your gains yet?
Set the gains all the way down and then turn the radio up tp 3/4 volume. then turn the gains up unitl it just begins to distort then back down just a little bit.

Speedin' Ian
06-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Yes I did adjust the gains like you suggested, but it still pops. BTW thanks for all the help guys!

riverbound
06-25-2004, 10:52 AM
You could also try a ground loop isolator but that is just a band aid fix. You probably have a bad ground. My boat had this when I first bought it and had to change the point where the batts were grounded.