PDA

View Full Version : Need some to do system in new boat

bohica
06-15-2004, 11:34 AM
I having a new Conquest Top Cat II built right now. Went over to Car Toyz in Havasu to check out waht they got, get suggestions and an estimate. They seemed to be priced very high for what I was getting.
3 pairs of the MB Quartz marine 6x9's
3 Twelve inch JL audio subs
Sony XM head unit
1 75x4 JL amp
1 500x1 sub amp
10 disk changer
2 remotes
Misc. wires
Some $300 battery
Total estimate was around 5K, which included $700 install fee. Am I getting ripped off or is this reasonble. Also didn't like the idea of the subs in the rear seat base and not in enclosures. Only thing I did like is that they can do install as boat is being built.
Need suggestions and maybe reference to someone else that can do it cheaper.

rivercrazy
06-15-2004, 12:01 PM
If I were you I'd look at the following:
1) 500 watts for 3 subs is a little light (depending on the sub model your using).
2) A 75 X 4 amp will not give 3 pairs of component speakers that much power
3) If the subs are going in the rear seat base (great location IMHO), make sure they incorporate proper sized and constructed subwoofer boxes into the base. My suggestion is to have them build the enclosure out of 3/4" marine plywood, glassed, resined, etc. MDF takes a beating in a boating environment.
Not sure on the pricing. Sounds rich on the equipment side.

Magic34
06-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Install price seems fair. At a high end shop, I paid almost $3k for install.

ROZ
06-15-2004, 01:43 PM
I can save you a bunch on the amps and subs... Just ask Rubths ...:D

bohica
06-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I can save you a bunch on the amps and subs... Just ask Rubths ...:D
How about an install hookup. I'd offer up a free place to stay at my pad in Havasu, along with paying someone to do the job right.:D
Also, I don't really want a cd changer. Maybe a head unit with a single cd and XM. Doesn't Alpine make one that doesn't require a separate add on for XM?

ROZ
06-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
If I were you I'd look at the following:
1) 500 watts for 3 subs is a little light (depending on the sub model your using).
2) A 75 X 4 amp will not give 3 pairs of component speakers that much power
3) If the subs are going in the rear seat base (great location IMHO), make sure they incorporate proper sized and constructed subwoofer boxes into the base. My suggestion is to have them build the enclosure out of 3/4" marine plywood, glassed, resined, etc. MDF takes a beating in a boating environment.
Not sure on the pricing. Sounds rich on the equipment side.
Remember that the amps he's listed are JL and the 75 and 500 are the minimum power output ratings at 10.5 volts..... Still, I'd consider the jl4504 to run the 6 speakers.... :cool:

ROZ
06-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by bohica
Doesn't Alpine make one that doesn't require a separate add on for XM? Yes, but you loose the 3rd preout, sub controls, and MP3....

bohica
06-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Are the MB Quartz 6x9 marine speakers any good?

rivercrazy
06-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Remember that the amps he's listed are JL and the 75 and 500 are the minimum power output ratings at 10.5 volts..... Still, I'd consider the jl4504 to run the 6 speakers.... :cool:
How would you wire 6 speakers to a 4 channel amp without needing to "series" wire 2 pair?
Don't JL's regulated amps put out the same amount of power between 10.5 to 14.4 volts? Not bashing JL. I like all their stuff!

mbrown2
06-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Seems pretty high to me on the equipment side......talk to Roz about the equipment....also, they did a buddy of mine's install and did not build the boxes...just put them in the seat bases...sound good, but I would be worried about volume and hard hitting base without seperate sealed or ported enclosures....I would rethink the Changer option...just nice not having to change CD's...Also, I know some folks bash them, but you can't beat Sony's stuff with the memory for not skipping on the water....Alpine, MB Quart, or Clarion, might be a little higher end, but SQ is not a factor on the water...
If you do have them do it, I would like to see the install....might be having another system done for a new boat and would like to have it done in Havasu...so if it has issues, I don't have to take it far...

ROZ
06-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
How would you wire 6 speakers to a 4 channel amp without needing to "series" wire 2 pair?
Don't JL's regulated amps put out the same amount of power between 10.5 to 14.4 volts? Not bashing JL. I like all their stuff! Still wire it parallel, but use the 4504.... Between voltage, amp draw`, and impedencechanges during music play, the amp throws larger numbers.... 733 for the 500.1.. I think that was the reactive load test by CarSound....
1.5-4ohms same power.....

OutCole'd
06-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Still wire it parallel, but use the 4504.... Between voltage, amp draw`, and impedencechanges during music play, the amp throws larger numbers.... 733 for the 500.1.. I think that was the reactive load test by CarSound....
WHAT?? English Roz, English.:D

ROZ
06-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
WHAT?? English Roz, English.:D
Plug it in and turn it up! :D

OutCole'd
06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Plug it in and turn it up! :D
Thanks, Much better.:D

ROZ
06-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Are the MB Quartz 6x9 marine speakers any good? NKA169 good marine 6x9... They'd better be at 350.00pr retail;) :D

rivercrazy
06-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Still wire it parallel, but use the 4504.... Between voltage, amp draw`, and impedencechanges during music play, the amp throws larger numbers.... 733 for the 500.1.. I think that was the reactive load test by CarSound....
1.5-4ohms same power.....
Gotcha!

OutCole'd
06-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Car Toyz did the system on my boat and I am real happy with it. Instead of a changer, I used a Sony head unit that also plays MP3's so I just burn a CD and it last all weekend.
They were high on the components and Roz could have saved me a fortune, but if I supplied my own equip, they would have jacked up the other cost's. Bottom line, they want to make "X" amount. I can understand this, everyone want's to make a profit.
All in all, I am still happy with them, and would recomend them.

bohica
06-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Outcole'd,
Did they mount your subs in the rear seat bench? If they did, how did they sound being it not being a sealed enclosure. Car Toyz is recommending the MB Quartz Marine Subs, Model NWD 254 and as far as I know, their not a true free air sub.

riverbound
06-15-2004, 04:04 PM
The price does seem really high on the equipment. the labor is really low. If you are interested we do offer pick up and delivery (there is a charge). If you are interested in having me do it let me know. I have done quite a few boats for board members and they seem to be happy with what me. We also do about 50-60 boatsa monthe during the summer so I would definitely say I am experienced.

Mr. Naudio
06-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Have never seen a Cartoyz sestem in a Topcat 2 that didnt include 3 wired remotes front back and helm.So there was prob other things that where not listed.Also i know that there prices are at suggested retail or below for most equipment.
Ask around about there service after the sale.
Especially if you plan to do alot of boating in Havasu.
Not even The Roz could match the price and service at the same time.
Also know that Cartoyz dose not tell you what to put in your boat.
That is one of many Conquest setups.(From Cartoyz)
Boxes are ALWAYS AN OPTION.
Also being that they are in Havasu they prob do ALOT of boats

Mr. Naudio
06-15-2004, 04:42 PM
And i must really like the word also,also

bohica
06-15-2004, 05:19 PM
I didn't see the need for a remote at the stern, that's why only 2. I'm not knocking their service, I've seen and heard a few of their systems are they are top notch. Just seemed to be a little high on the equipment prices. Here's the exact order and prices.
sony CDX 757 10 disk Changer 219.00
Sony CDXM880.. CD receiver 329.99
2 Marine Remote @ 109.99= 219.98
2 Y cables 15.98
3 30 ft cables @ 15.99 = 47.97
Stinger Battery 1700 299.99
JL 300.4 amp 499.95
JL 500.1 amp 549.95
3 pairs MB Marine 6x9 @ 299.99 = 899.98
3 MB marine subs @ 199.00 = 599.97
Wire & Misc. 200.00
Install 700.00
Will still need the brain for the xm which is backordered, and will probably have them install a 7.8 all in one dvd/monitor system in the small cuddy area.
Will probably end up having them do it as a matter of convenience. I hope I won't need to call them once it's done. I do all my boating on Havasu.

ROZ
06-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
That damn service and local convenience thing gets me all the time :D
Bohica,
The prices you list are at or close to list. The labor seems a little on the low side to me as well... Outcole'd seems to be on track with his post. Every shop needs a certain amount of marigin to maintain itself. Since the labor is low, they'd obviously mark it up if you brought in your own gear. You'd still make out with my pricing and their labor, but they will lileky treat you as the guy who brought his own gear in if you ever have warranty problems...
:)

Mr. Naudio
06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
That damn service and local convenience thing gets me all the time :D
Bohica,
The prices you list are at or close to list.
:)
I am fairly certain that Cartoyz is a retail store and we are talking about one system not 100-1000 at one time .
(As always all hale Roz)

El Chingon
06-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
I have to disagree. Roz has backed his merch and install from his shop from the start. he's even went a few times to havasu for us to dial it in.:wink:

Mr. Naudio
06-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by El Chingon
I have to disagree. Roz has backed his merch and install from his shop from the start. he's even went a few times to havasu for us to dial it in.:wink:
Standard practice.
Would never bad talk Roz.
He is one of the most knowledgeable people i know in this field
along with HH.

TrojanDan
06-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by El Chingon
Come to think of it, if we had to do it over again, Car Toyz would probably have been cheaper on the install since Roz is a eating and drinking machine! :D
Thanks for all your help Chris... :cool:

77charger
06-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
talk to Roz about the equipment.... .I would rethink the Changer option...just nice not having to change CD's...Also, I know some folks bash them, but you can't beat Sony's stuff with the memory for not skipping on the water I have a sony t67 6 disc changer it is small and compact it also doesnt have the skip memory protection and i have no problems with skipping cds.It is mounted in the engine compartment in my boat .They make some with skip protection that work very good.My neighbor owns a stereo shop and he carried sony(not anymore though) so he gave it to me cheap and told me if i had a problem skipping he would change it out so far i have had it for 1.5 years trouble free.
Roz is the hook up guy for sure:)

Rubths
06-20-2004, 04:37 PM
I having a new Conquest Top Cat II built right now. Went over to Car Toyz in Havasu to check out waht they got, get suggestions and an estimate. They seemed to be priced very high for what I was getting.
3 pairs of the MB Quartz marine 6x9's
3 Twelve inch JL audio subs
Sony XM head unit
1 75x4 JL amp
1 500x1 sub amp
10 disk changer
2 remotes
Misc. wires
Some $300 battery
Total estimate was around 5K, which included $700 install fee. Am I getting ripped off or is this reasonble. Also didn't like the idea of the subs in the rear seat base and not in enclosures. Only thing I did like is that they can do install as boat is being built.
Need suggestions and maybe reference to someone else that can do it cheaper.
Dwain those are the two amps I have in my Excursion and they ROCK but im not sure about the 500x1 with 3 JL 12's? What series are they? If you want the hookup on the gear yes ROZ rules on price but there is no hookup for install, Labor is Labor and I wouldnt want a deal on it because I want the install top notch and no corners cut. As a matter of fact when I had the system intalled in our new Excursion last month I told the intall guy that if the price I was paying was for an average install he best tell me now and charge me for the best job he could do!

SCUBA STEVE
06-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Well my experiance with Car toyz was a good one. Long story short I supplied an amp & 2 6x9's (6x9's from Roz) for my additions to the system, the amp didnt work out, and I wasnt too thrilled with the actual install. I kind of rushed them with the job so it was partly my fault. I ended up buying one of their amps, and the install took a new leaf!
I do have to say the peeps at car toys are great to deal with. They have to be, since I was their new best friend for a week! lol
$700 for a complete install is a great price. Considering I paid $200 to add 1 amp and 2 6x9's. There is no $ in just doing installs.
Good luck with your set up!
Roz is the king of hook up's! :D

ADAM GARCIA
06-21-2004, 09:53 AM
bring it to me i will take care of you . not to talk crap but we fix alot of car toys jobs . WIREDFOR SOUND ADAM.:)

mbrown2
06-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Adam, what lines do you carry? Or can someone bring their own amps or other gear?

ROZ
06-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ADAM GARCIA
bring it to me i will take care of you . not to talk crap but we fix alot of car toys jobs . WIREDFOR SOUND ADAM.:)
:eek:
Well reality is that almost every shop has fixed another shop's stuff. It happens...

riverbound
06-21-2004, 02:22 PM
the system you described sounds like a good setup I would recommend asking why the labor is so cheap. As other have stated you dont want them cutting corners on the install because you paid for the average install. Every shop has at one time or another fixed someone elses work.

bohica
06-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I would think that labor is cheaper because they're doing the install as the boat is being built. No interior to remove. Just gotta cut the holes for the speakers and wire it up. Probably much easier than doing an install after the boat is all finished.:confused:

ROZ
06-21-2004, 02:49 PM
I would think that labor is cheaper because they're doing the install as the boat is being built. No interior to remove. Just gotta cut the holes for the speakers and wire it up. Probably much easier than doing an install after the boat is all finished.:confused: That and I imagine that overhead(wages,rent, utilities, workman's comp :eek: ) is cheaper there than here...maybe? I'd bet that they give the MFG's customers a good price in order to gain it's business as well :) I would :D

RiverDave
06-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Bohica, I sent you a PM to the same effect..
I'd drag it back to Wired For Sound. After dealing with alot of people in Havi and Parker etc... Two words come to mind "desert people."
RD

Mr. Naudio
07-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by ADAM GARCIA
Just wondering Adam if you are talking about CarToyz of Havasu?
Either way I thank you for any help you may have given to anyone
who may have needed it, weather they have been to our shop or not.