PDA

View Full Version : Need Info?

KineticoH20
06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
My new Genesis 251 is going in the mold tomorrow.Instead of stock set up i'm having them put in the following, does this sound like it will be the bomb?
Alpine 9830 w/xm
JL 300/4 amp
JL 500/1 mono amp
6 MB Quart 116 61/2 coax
2 JL 12W3 SUBS
Would you change anything or add?? want to do it right the first time. All of the above would be $1500. thx don

mbrown2
06-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Sounds like a pretty good system to me....nice gear..

Phat Matt
06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Is the boat shop doing the install? Some of them may know how to make it look clean, but do they know how to build a proper box for the subs. Also speaker placement can make a big difference in sound quality. Might want to find out.
Good luck!

KineticoH20
06-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
Is the boat shop doing the install? Some of them may know how to make it look clean, but do they know how to build a proper box for the subs. Also speaker placement can make a big difference in sound quality. Might want to find out.
Good luck!
Yes the boat shop is doing it and they seem to have one individual who seems to be audio savy:)

77charger
06-17-2004, 09:08 PM
sounds pretty good to me its more than i have and mine sounds pretty good now.
I run 4 6x9s 1 L5 sub with an xtant 600 4 channel amp.I have a sony 630 deck and a t67 6 disc changer

riverbound
06-17-2004, 09:36 PM
The only thing I would recommend is change the 6.5s out to 6x9s dont listen to that b.s. about 6.5s sounding better. Its a boat build for volume it will sound better. Trust me I do 50-60 boats a month during the summer time and the 6x9 always work out better in boats.

ROZ
06-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
change the 6.5s out to 6x9s dont listen to that b.s. about 6.5s sounding better. You're kidding, right? They're totally different speakers...
Do we need to go the IASCA route and build a pair of idectical systems and face off? :D ;) :p

ROZ
06-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Sounds like a pretty good system to me....nice gear.. I agree 100% with the man who won the OP6 stereo contest :D

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
You're kidding, right? They're totally different speakers...
Do we need to go the IASCA route and build a pair of idectical systems and face off? :D ;) :p
I think Roz is right. They are totally different speakers. One is round, and the other is oval. :p I have both set up in mine, but if you go 6x9's I will say my Infinity Kappa's are the best sounding, clearest 6x9's speakers I have ever heard. They are power hungry though. But they sound amazing, IMHO.
But then again, Roz never got to hear my system. :D
I was too busy making Slurricanes for everyone! :D :p

Havasu Hangin'
06-18-2004, 04:17 AM
I do 50-60 boats a month during the summer time and the 6x9 always work out better in boats.
You personally install 50-60 boats per month? Man...that coffee machine must be working overtime...I don't know many custom shops that can do that.
I've tried 6x9's...apples to apples, the 6.5's always worked out better (unless you were selling 6x9's).

1stepcloser
06-18-2004, 06:38 AM
I'll add my worthless opinion here as well, having had both 6X9's and 6.5's.
The 6.5's are a better choice.
If all you want is alot of noise, then by all means run the 6X9's.
But if you actually want to hear the music then go with the 6.5's.
But dont listen to me, I'm an idiot. :)

rivercrazy
06-18-2004, 08:46 AM
I think the difference between a very high quality 6X9 versus a 6.5 in a boat is not THAT big of a difference. Depends on what 6X9 your referring to. Will a 6.5 seperate sound better? Yes. Mostly because the mid range woofer cone doesn't have the tweet motor structure mounted in the middle of it. As a result, VERY high volume performance will be a bit cleaner. But imaging in a boat sucks and tweet placement is not as important versus an enclosed environment. The Tweets that are in my Infinity 6X9's are the same or better tweets versus what they use in in their 6.5's. I miss the EMIT tweets they use to use in their 6.5 components.
But all in all, IMO a 6X9 will be a bit louder and will have more mid bass in the 100-150 Hz region.
I'm a fan of very high quality 6X9's as well as 6.5's. I would not be so inclined to recommend 6X9 in a car. But in a boat with all the ambient noise, wind, water waves, loud boats, etc, the difference between the two different kinds of speakers isn't as significant.

riverbound
06-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
You're kidding, right? They're totally different speakers...
Already did it I have 2 boats that I built for Force Offshore One of the customers had to have 6.5s the other guy took my advice and used the 6X9s (guess which boat sounded better and played louder) Here is what was done in both boats
Alpine cda9833 headunit
Rockford t8004 Amp (mids highs)
Rockford t1001 Amp (subs)
Rockford P212s4 woofers
Mb Quart reference series (1 had 6.5 1had 6x9) 3 pairs each
optima blue tops x4
All speaker placements were exactly the same on both boats.
If we were talking about cars we could go the iasca route but in a boat the accoustics are a little off. As all of you know that have done systems in boats you are looking more for what is going to play louder with less distortion. Imaging staging and SQ don't exist in boats.

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Hey Riverbound, you guys should really advertise your services on the radio to get the message out. Boats, cars, whatever.
Phat Matt <-------works for X103.9 :D

riverbound
06-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
You personally install 50-60 boats per month? Man...that coffee machine must be working overtime...I don't know many custom shops that can do that.
Myself and 4 other installers
I've tried 6x9's...apples to apples, the 6.5's always worked out better (unless you were selling 6x9's).
I've had the opposite experience, unless you are talking about cars.

riverbound
06-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Hey Riverbound, you guys should really advertise your services on the radio to get the message out. Boats, cars, whatever.
Phat Matt <-------works for X103.9 :D
Tell me more.

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Tell me more.
I do sales for the station. If you are interested at all I could come by some time and bring you some info.

riverbound
06-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Come on by, (909)481-8411

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Come on by, (909)481-8411
Should I call and ask for Riverbound? :D Will you be there on Monday? I can come by then.

ROZ
06-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Imaging staging and SQ don't exist in boats. Imaging generally doesn't exist in boats, but SQ does....
Depending on the boat, power, and qty and location of speakers, a sound stage could probably be created...
You just like the sound of 6x9's. It also helps that you're selling one of the best component 6x9's available.... Standard 6x9 is a different kind of apple; More like a Golden Delicious as compared to a Fuji :D

riverbound
06-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Should I call and ask for Riverbound? :D Will you be there on Monday? I can come by then.
Ask for Bill, I will be around on monday.

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Ask for Bill, I will be around on monday.
Sounds good. I'll give you a call before I come by.

1stepcloser
06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
As all of you know that have done systems in boats you are looking more for what is going to play louder with less distortion.
I completely agree.
Imaging staging and SQ don't exist in boats.
I agree and disagree.
Imaging....pretty tough to replicate. (unless you plan on sitting in the middle of the back seat while beached)
SQ on the other hand can most definately be had in a boat.
I have heard so many boats that have plenty of volume.....but sound just awful, too the point where I wonder "how can he possibly think that sounds good?"
And, I have heard far fewer boats that have the volume....but also sound correct.
A boat, in my opinion, is akin to going to a live outdoor cancert. (Jimmy Buffet comes to mind:) )
There is no staging to speak of, the music is plenty loud, but it sounds as live as it is.

bohica
06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Smthopr8tr
My new Genesis 251 is going in the mold tomorrow.Instead of stock set up i'm having them put in the following, does this sound like it will be the bomb?
Alpine 9830 w/xm
JL 300/4 amp
JL 500/1 mono amp
6 MB Quart 116 61/2 coax
2 JL 12W3 SUBS
Would you change anything or add?? want to do it right the first time. All of the above would be $1500. thx don
Almost sounds like the system I'm gonna go with, except 1 more sub., a couple of remotes and a stinger battery. My qoute was around 5K.

rivercrazy
06-18-2004, 10:08 AM
I agree with 1SC here. Its the quality of the components, powering those components adquately, and placement in a boat that produces SQ.
There is a BIG difference between a bling bling SPL heard from blocks away system and a system built for great quality clean sound that is still respectably loud.
I'll stick with the SQ oriented round subs and higher quality SQ oriented components...There is always someone louder at the river anyway
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
I completely agree.
I agree and disagree.
Imaging....pretty tough to replicate. (unless you plan on sitting in the middle of the back seat while beached)
SQ on the other hand can most definately be had in a boat.
I have heard so many boats that have plenty of volume.....but sound just awful, too the point where I wonder "how can he possibly think that sounds good?"
And, I have heard far fewer boats that have the volume....but also sound correct.
A boat, in my opinion, is akin to going to a live outdoor cancert. (Jimmy Buffet comes to mind:) )
There is no staging to speak of, the music is plenty loud, but it sounds as live as it is.

riverbound
06-18-2004, 10:12 AM
. Imaging staging and SQ don't exist in boats.
I should have left the SQ part out but those are the three main things that you look for in IASCA. (i used to be a judge) I always lump those three together and didnt mean to leave the SQ in there SQ is very much an important part of building a boat. The imaging and staging are not something you want to try to achieve in a boat. Most people want there boat to be loud and have no distortion the best way to achieve that is by using 6x9s (from my experience) I am not saying a 6x9s sound better than 6.5s in a car or on paper, But in a boat the 6x9 will achieve what the customer is looking for. Lots of highs lots of mids and lots of bass. We all know that you dont go to the river and sit in the back seat of your boat and just listen to your stereo. Usually the way it goes down is you go to the sandbar or channel crank the tunes up then get out and walk around. you want to hear the boat outside of it and it has to sound good. 6x9s will accomplish this better than the same speaker in a 6.5. If you buy a shitty 6x9 it will sound like that and if you buy the same shitty speaker in a 6.5 it will sound even worse than the 6x9 when using it in a boat. Cars are a completely different thing.

ROZ
06-18-2004, 11:43 AM
(i used to be a judge)
How long ago? Do you know Monte ...I'll remember last name later.....
I am not saying a 6x9s sound better than 6.5s in a car or on paper
That's all I ever wanted to hear :p ;) :D Just keeping it alive. You guys keep up the great work!

ROZ
06-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bohica
Almost sounds like the system I'm gonna go with, except 1 more sub., a couple of remotes and a stinger battery. My qoute was around 5K.
That's VERY cheap for that gear and can't include install. List subtotal on that gear is 2717.00 ... Unless you know someone in the industry, I'd be leary.

riverbound
06-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
How long ago? Do you know Monte ...I'll remember last name later.....
About 4 years ago, then got too busy at the shop to continue. Montey doesn't ring a bell.

KineticoH20
06-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Alpine 9830 w/xm
JL 300/4 amp
JL 500/1 mono amp
6 MB Quart 116 61/2 coax
2 JL 12W3 SUBS
I picked it up today,changed the Alpine for a RF 9220
Ialso talked them into all the wire 4 gauge for the amps and RCA's,a breaker for the power,ground wire etc...covers for the sub all for $1540 damn i'm such a hammer:wink:

KineticoH20
06-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
That's VERY cheap for that gear and can't include install. List subtotal on that gear is 2717.00 ... Unless you know someone in the industry, I'd be leary. Pacific Stereo big dealer,bought my DVD system for my Cadillac from them,very reputable .Your right it does not include install but the dealer is installing for free in-leu of not taking stocker.

riverbound
06-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Pacific Stereo ,very reputable .
You aren't talking about the one in ontario are you? If you are, look up audio america on the BBBwebsite. pacific is owned by them and actually recently changed their name to Audio america. Its not very often I will talk bad about another shop but Ihate seeing people getting screwed. Remember you get what you pay for.

KineticoH20
06-18-2004, 07:33 PM
You aren't talking about the one in ontario are you? If you are, look up audio america on the BBBwebsite. pacific is owned by them and actually recently changed their name to Audio america. Its not very often I will talk bad about another shop but Ihate seeing people getting screwed. Remember you get what you pay for.
Idon't understand your comments.I bought new components, i really do not care about thier business practices or thier thier install problems if any as i am having the boat maker install the system.The Pacific Stereo i purchased from is in Lakewood and they installed about 4k of equipment in my caddi and it was top notch so i had no problem buying this gear from them.Im just used to getting really good deals on things:D