PDA

View Full Version : House paint

Tom Brown
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
OK... so I'm painting the inside of my shop.
I go to a paint store and get four gallons. Two gallons of alkyd prime. Two gallons of alkyd gloss white. Para brand. The guy at the paint store tells me it's good. I pay 200 bucks. Turns out, it's about enough to do half of my shop.
OK... so a flyer comes along and they're selling Glidden for 20 bucks a gallon for alkyd color. 18 bucks a gallon for alkyd prime.
Why wouldn't I use the cheap shit for the rest of the shop? :idea:
This Para stuff isn't exactly covering with one coat like was mentioned it would. I'm not sure two coats would cover the pencil marks I put there when I was building the walls but maybe.
Is Glidden a good brand? I've heard of them. I've never heard of Para but that doesn't mean anything. I'd appreciate some opinions.

Jbb
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
In my opinion Rd Sux
as far as the paint.....just be sure to sand and buff when thru...... :)
Para Ordinance make some nice pistols.... :p
Teddy paintin walls ...he was 12 yrs old... :p

Mandelon
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Glidden has never worked well for me. Its all in the prep Tom. Prime it well, it will last a lot longer. What other paint choices do you have up there in the frigid tundra?

YeLLowBoaT
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
you should get about 300- 400 sqft of coverage per gal for any "high hide" paint. Primer is not made to cover.. its made to seal and for adheison. how are you applying it? what is the temp? did you mix it well.... I am not talk stir stick.....

ratso
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Tom, if it doesn't cover in one coat, just mix up some webbing solution and "web" it. That'll cover up a lot of imperfections... : ) :D

Flying Tiger
04-04-2006, 07:16 PM
I found that 100% arcrylic is "Da Kine." Sinclair, Sherman Williams, Dunn Edwards.
Avoid the 80% stuff. Here it's Catalina brand, Old Quaker and a few other goofy names.
In Calif ya have to ask what the contents % is, in some places it has to be on the label.

ROZ
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
You guys stil have lead paint up there? I'd use that :D

ratso
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
You guys stil have lead paint up there? I'd use that :D
lmao

Tom Brown
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Glidden has never worked well for me. Its all in the prep Tom. Prime it well, it will last a lot longer. What other paint choices do you have up there in the frigid tundra?
OK... I'll pass on the Glidden. I don't know what choices we have here. I'd guess we've got pretty much everything.
you should get about 300- 400 sqft of coverage per gal for any "high hide" paint. Primer is not made to cover.. its made to seal and for adheison. how are you applying it? what is the temp? did you mix it well.... I am not talk stir stick.....
I'm getting just under 300 sq*ft/gallon.
Sure, I mixed it well. ... with the stir stick they gave me. :D
... they shook it at the store and that was about a week before I cracked it open, stired it for about 2 minutes with the stick, and applied it.
Hey Tom, use Behr paint and I'll guarentee it or your $ back.
Rio
I'll ask around. I'm pretty sure we have it. I'll PM you with an address for you to send the check to.
I found that 100% arcrylic is "Da Kine." Sinclair, Sherman Williams, Dunn Edwards.
Avoid the 80% stuff. Here it's Catalina brand, Old Quaker and a few other goofy names.
In Calif ya have to ask what the contents % is, in some places it has to be on the label.
I didn't ask about the contents. The paint guy is supposed to know. I'll look into it.
Thanks all. :)

Mandelon
04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Behr is pretty decent, it covers alright but doesn't lay out so well. Use Dunn Edwards if you can get it, it lays out nicely and covers very well.

Tom Brown
04-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Mandelon. :)
Perhaps prior to the next application I'll take 26 reds and a bottle of wine. :idea:

Jbb
04-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Perhaps prior to the next application I'll take 26 reds and a bottle of wine. :idea:
Brown....after 26 reds,and a bottle of wine...... :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860tbrown.jpg

MagicMtnDan
04-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Looks like they just got done sniffing the paint
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860tbrown.jpg

lucky
04-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Most taggarts use kryolon - cans hold a good charge while "huffing " and it comes in a varitey of colors --
ps The bran brown is remarkable life like !