PDA

View Full Version : Boat Covers?

rposton1
06-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Just a quick question, do you tow your boat with a cover or not? If you do does it mess up your gel coat from flapping....... thanks in advance Robert

Ntwotrance
06-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by rposton1
Just a quick question, do you tow your boat with a cover or not? If you do does it mess up your gel coat from flapping....... thanks in advance Robert
If I'm carrying extra stuff and don't have room for it in the truck I do, otherwise I try not to...it does tend to leave spider webbing on the gel...

Mandelon
06-20-2004, 04:34 PM
My last boat had a snap on cover which worked pretty well, but had all the snap fittings all around the hull. It did keep it a lot cleaner inside.
I do not have a towing cover for the current one. I heard they slow you down with the wind resistance, and is like adding 500 lbs of weight, I read it somewhere....don't know if its true.
I do cover it in parking lots of hotels though, out of sight out of mind for the thieves I hope...

BarryMac
06-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
My last boat had a snap on cover which worked pretty well, but had all the snap fittings all around the hull. It did keep it a lot cleaner inside.
I have his old boat, on short trips to the river I don't put it on, I can usually put the crap in the back o' my truck, when we go to Lake Tahoe for the 4th I will tow with it on, just so it doesn't get so dirty inside. If you want to see pics of it with the full snap cover let me know, I will put some up for you to see...
gjb

FRENCHIE
06-20-2004, 04:57 PM
never tow with mine on! dont wanna mess up the paint, poss loose cover!!;)

rposton1
06-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info, I will stick with not putting a cover on then hehe. thanks again Rob

rposton1
06-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
never tow with mine on! dont wanna mess up the paint, poss loose cover!!;)
Yeah I bet you won't I saw your boat yesterday that is one sick paint job, you did a great job:) :) ....Rob

FRENCHIE
06-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by rposton1
Yeah I bet you won't I saw your boat yesterday that is one sick paint job, you did a great job:) :) ....Rob
thanx rposton1...its gonna be a few years b4 we go to the 29 or 34, so this one's gotta last and so far it's all a bout babying it! ;)

mtndewdrops
06-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Then when I get where I'm going, I put it back on to keep the dirt out. :)

Ken F
06-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Would you lay an electric sander that is running down on your gel? That's about what you would be doing. Blow a little sand & road gravel up under that cover, add a little wind flap....
I used to sell MB & Porsches when nose bra's were in fashion. Sold a young attorney a new 911SC and he just had to have a nose bra. Tried to talk him out of it for two days while we were closing the deal & finances. 30 days later the car was back in the body shop having the nose painted.
Ken F

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:09 PM
It is pretty tough on the gelcoat and plastic windshields if you have them.
The little Ultra I have, it has a cover that you are supposed to be able to tow with. It fits like a soft leather glove and has abrasion pads and backing for wear points, and ties down tight as a snare drum head.
But I won't tow with it at highway speeds, just around town for short distances.

Debbolas
06-20-2004, 08:11 PM
We have a snap down cover bow and cockpit and love it!
I keeps all the road dirt and tar off the inside of the boat!
:D

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
We have a snap down cover bow and cockpit and love it!
I keeps all the road dirt and tar off the inside of the boat!
:D
I had the cockpit cover on the Eliminator, it rocked! I didn't need the bow cover since mine was a closed bow...

rposton1
06-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Thanks again for all the Info. :) Rob

mickeyfinn
06-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Anyone know of a place to buy a cover that will fit a Hondo with over transom pipes? Does anyone make covers for this type of boat as a standard without having to pay for custom? Can't find anything on the east coast.

Dr. Eagle
06-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
Anyone know of a place to buy a cover that will fit a Hondo with over transom pipes? Does anyone make covers for this type of boat as a standard without having to pay for custom? Can't find anything on the east coast.
It gets sort of expensive, but an upholstery shop is the most likely place for a custom cover like that...

mickeyfinn
06-21-2004, 07:17 AM
That is what I have found here. Just thought maybe with the higher number of this style boat out west maybe someone had something in a "standard" cover that would work for OT's and a low profile.