PDA

View Full Version : Ford warranty question

Phat Matt
06-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I have a 2003 Ford Excursion, 6.0 diesel 4x4, Eddie Bauer that I bought last August. On Friday the a/c went out. Luckily I wasn't on my way to Havasu and was planning on staying in town this weekend. I dropped it off at the Ford dealership Friday evening so they could work on it on Saturday. I picked it up today and the before the guy gave me my keys he asked me if I owed them anything. I said I think it should be covered under the warranty. He looked at the invoice and said I owed $146.97. I said why, the a/c isn't covered under the warranty? :confused: He said it looks like the o-rings went out so they had to replace them and recharge the system. Regular maintenance items such as hoses and brake pads aren't covered under warranty. I said I was never aware that changing your o-rings on your a/c was something like changing your oil. This guys left because he sould tell I wasn't amused. I wait to pay the finance guy and he says, why are we charging you for this? This doesn't make any sense. Your warranty should cover this. I have never seen this before. He was real cool and said just pay for it now and call the service manager in the morning. You should get reinbursed.
Shouldn't this all be covered under my 3 year, 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty? :confused:

nextasex
06-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Yes it should, although I don't perform warranty repairs on Fords I do on other vehicles. Leaking o-rings is somewhat of a common problem. Factory will zap the fittings pretty tight causing the o-rings to tear and leak. Good luck!!
Frank

fourspeednup
06-20-2004, 07:57 PM
he says, why are we charging you for this? This doesn't make any sense. Your warranty should cover this. I have never seen this before. He was real cool and said just pay for it now and call the service manager in the morning. You should get reinbursed.
I worked at a shady repair facility for a short time and our service manager(a real sheister) would say things almost exactly like that to customers just to get YOUR $$$ and YOU off the lot. Hopefully this is just a mix up and you'll get your $$$ back.
BTW---those o-rings in the AC system are not a wear item:cool:

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 07:59 PM
That's BS... that should be a warranty item...
others have said it... orings are not a maintenance item any more than the head gasket...

Phat Matt
06-20-2004, 08:06 PM
I figured as much. I will talk to the manager in the morning. I am pretty confident they will give me my money back but the guy telling me his bs story pissed me off.
I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow. And if it's bad, I'll post the dealership too. :D

Kachina26
06-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Get a free oil change. Were you down the hill?

Jrocket
06-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Make sure they know your not happy about the mishap either.They're supposed to know their job!

Phat Matt
06-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Get a free oil change. Were you down the hill?
Yes I was. I still have to take it back in this week for them to reprogam the computer. It's a factory ordered thing for the diesels. I wonder if they will charge me for that too? :D

Jrocket
06-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
Yes I was. I still have to take it back in this week for them to reprogam the computer. It's a factory ordered thing for the diesels. I wonder if they will charge me for that too? :D
If its running good now,you might not want to take it in for a reflash.And no they wont charge you for it.

tisfortexas
06-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Reflash horror stories from hell : thedieselstop.com

Kachina26
06-21-2004, 05:18 AM
Heck, I've got a warranty job waiting for me at the shop where the highside hose blew. With hoses being maintenance, I oughta charge the customer for the hose, compressor, txv, orfice tube, flush......... you know the whole deal. This might be a good day afterall:D

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 04:01 PM
I spoke with the service supervisor this morning and told him what happened and he said, "you didn't pay for it did you?" I told him I had to to get my keys. He said he'll handle it and he was sorry. He wrote it up as warranty work and didn't know why they charged me. I said cool and thanks for getting me in on such short notice to help me out. This afternoon I am out making calls and my a/c turns into a heater again. I call them back up and he says how soon can you get it her. I said I'll be there within the hour. I get there. drop it off. they get a rental for me and say it should be down in the morning. It's a little bit of a hassle but they are trying to make things right.
They will be reprogramming my truck also. Why should I be so worried if it's sent out from the factory to do it? :confused: I'm not so sure I want to go check out the horror stories on that other site. But I'm sure i will. ;)

Flyinbowtie
06-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Matt,
Just FYI, that website is the best around for info on the Ford Diesels. I have a hotrodded 97, and have learned a great deal from the folks over there. I post as sam8.
Ford wants to reflash your rig for a number of reasons. If it is running okay, I would hold off on it unless they say it will create warranty problems.

cc322
06-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Bumper to Bumper, should be covered

ahhell
06-21-2004, 07:40 PM
G M C :D

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
G M C :D
Don't make me go there...:D

ahhell
06-21-2004, 07:43 PM
4 years, regular oil changes, one service.....not one problem...dont go there;)

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh, I wasn't going that direction...:D

Kachina26
06-21-2004, 08:06 PM
center console won't open???????????????

ahhell
06-21-2004, 08:08 PM
center console won't open???????????????
opens better than new since the Magic....... SILICONE SPRAY
even opens in the up position :p

Kilrtoy
06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I would be raiseing hell on this one,
As already said, there would be alot of free oil changes and more in this one....

J540
06-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Matt - i had on 03 Excursion they got back on lemon law. they are about to get my 04 back. the re-flash kills the pilot injection making it very loud at idle and i lost a lot of HP trust me the new flash is bullsh*t not to metion 3mpg lost. i drive from palmdale to havasu almost every weekend with both and i know them very well 04 has a lot of changes from 03. just so mush to say call me and i can talk to you more about it
John 213 798 8574

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I would be raiseing hell on this one,
As already said, there would be alot of free oil changes and more in this one....
I am not one of those guys that bitches alot over things. As long as it gets fixed and I don't have to pay for anything, I'm good. They hooked me up with a rental car (even though I have 2 sitting at home, I figured I would let them pick up that tab on that :)) and they are fixing the problem. It wasn't their fault and shit breaks down from time to time. I just got pissed when some guy was telling me it was regular maintanence. I think he was just a sales guy anyway. The service people have been real cool with me. Besides, if shit didn't break, some peeps here on this board would be out of a job! :) We'll see what happens tomorrow because they said it should be done by then.

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by J540
Matt - i had on 03 Excursion they got back on lemon law. they are about to get my 04 back. the re-flash kills the pilot injection making it very loud at idle and i lost a lot of HP trust me the new flash is bullsh*t not to metion 3mpg lost. i drive from palmdale to havasu almost every weekend with both and i know them very well 04 has a lot of changes from 03. just so mush to say call me and i can talk to you more about it
John 213 798 8574
When do you want me to call?

dicudmore
06-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Besides, if shit didn't break, some peeps here on this board would be out of a job! :)
Hey, I resemble that remark ;)

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Hey, I resemble that remark ;)
Well there you have it. :)

Phat Matt
06-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Here's the update...
It must have not been the o-rings since it still lost it's charge. They charged it back up with a dye in it and let it run. Once it built up enough pressure they found a tiny little pin hole in one of the lines. They are replacing the line now, but the part won't be in until tomorrow. So it's another day rolling in the impala rental. I think I am going to throw some air bags and spinners on this bad boy. :)

Kachina26
06-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Here's the update...
It must have not been the o-rings since it still lost it's charge. They charged it back up with a dye in it and let it run. Once it built up enough pressure they found a tiny little pin hole in one of the lines. They are replacing the line now, but the part won't be in until tomorrow. So it's another day rolling in the impala rental. I think I am going to throw some air bags and spinners on this bad boy. :)
Pin holes don't typically leak out in one day, but hey I wasn't there. Let us know how it turns out. I just finished my big warranty ac job. The compressor went way high and blew out a line and sent debris thoughout the system. So I had to replace the compressor (which is a booger on the 00 subs w/ 4wd) , remove the evaporator core from the back of the vehicle to replace the expansion valve, replace the blown high side hose, replace the orfice tube, replace the accumulator, flush the system and finally evacuate and recharge it (btw if you let it sit in a vacuum for a bit you find out if it's gonna hold a charge for more than a day) So, what does all this pay you ask? GMPP says 3.4 hours! I'm probably gonna get a little closer to 4.7 when all is said and done. Too little for that much work.

dicudmore
06-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Pin holes don't typically leak out in one day, but hey I wasn't there. Let us know how it turns out. I just finished my big warranty ac job. The compressor went way high and blew out a line and sent debris thoughout the system. So I had to replace the compressor (which is a booger on the 00 subs w/ 4wd) , remove the evaporator core from the back of the vehicle to replace the expansion valve, replace the blown high side hose, replace the orfice tube, replace the accumulator, flush the system and finally evacuate and recharge it (btw if you let it sit in a vacuum for a bit you find out if it's gonna hold a charge for more than a day) So, what does all this pay you ask? GMPP says 3.4 hours! I'm probably gonna get a little closer to 4.7 when all is said and done. Too little for that much work.
there is a TSB on that exact job that pays 4.9 (I'm pretty sure)
compressor oil starved due to the design of the hose....causes "catastrophic" compressor failure requiring replacement of the hoses, exp valve, accumulator etc.
I hate writing those :D

HP350SC
06-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Here's the update...
I work at a Ford dealer and I'm an AC tech. Was going to type that it was not likely an O-ring problem as they have 3 per fitting.
2 common areas: Rear of passenger side valve cover area wears through unclipped line to rear AC. Also, have seen 2 diesels where the heat sleeve around the AC manifold(the lines that bolt to the compressor) gets pinched between the manifold flange and the top of compressor=big leak.

Phat Matt
06-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
I work at a Ford dealer and I'm an AC tech. Was going to type that it was not likely an O-ring problem as they have 3 per fitting.
2 common areas: Rear of passenger side valve cover area wears through unclipped line to rear AC. Also, have seen 2 diesels where the heat sleeve around the AC manifold(the lines that bolt to the compressor) gets pinched between the manifold flange and the top of compressor=big leak.
Well where were ya when I needed ya? :D I guess Sandy is a little far away. (I grew up in Portland) I guess we'll see if they got it right tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Kachina26
06-23-2004, 05:45 AM
there is a TSB on that exact job that pays 4.9 (I'm pretty sure)
compressor oil starved due to the design of the hose....causes "catastrophic" compressor failure requiring replacement of the hoses, exp valve, accumulator etc.
I hate writing those :D
I looked for that tsb and couldn't find it, actually it's a 2003 so I think it has the updated design. Probably why no tsb, and it obviously hasn't taken care of the issue. That tsb involves making a new hose or something? I've forgotten. But the same job cp would come closer to 7.8 or so.

dicudmore
06-23-2004, 06:41 AM
ah I thought you said it was a 2000 ;)

HP350SC
06-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Well where were ya when I needed ya? :D I guess Sandy is a little far away. (I grew up in Portland) I guess we'll see if they got it right tomorrow. :rolleyes:
I don't check or post in the sandbar much. Don't care much for the post ***** thing and topics get buried too fast.
It is difficult to see if the sleeve is caught in there. Easiest way is through inner fender. If you can't slide the sleeve along the line away from the compressor then it's caught. Sometimes just a couple strands.
Where abouts did you grow up around here?
We are going to relocate in about 3 years. Looking for 6 months of boating weather and no crowds. Thinking of Shasta area.

Phat Matt
06-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by HP350SC
It is difficult to see if the sleeve is caught in there. Easiest way is through inner fender. If you can't slide the sleeve along the line away from the compressor then it's caught. Sometimes just a couple strands.
Where abouts did you grow up around here?
We are going to relocate in about 3 years. Looking for 6 months of boating weather and no crowds. Thinking of Shasta area.
I picked up my truck just now and it's working so far. They said it was a line behind the a/c. They replaced it and did the reprogram on the computer. Hopefully everything will work out now and I won't have to post a reprogram horror story!
I grew up in SE Portland not too far from Clackamas Town Center. I moved away about 10 years ago. Pretty crazy how the Sandy river froze over last winter!

Excessive Force
06-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Another good site for diesel stuff is www.socaps.com (http://www.socaps.com)

Phat Matt
06-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Day 2 and the a/c still works fine. I hope it doesn't decide to go out again this weekend in Havasu!
As for the reprogram, I think my truck is running better. Sometimes before when I would start it up (usually in the afternoon) it would idle a little rough and white smoke would come out. I would give it a little gas and then everything would be fine. It hasn't done that since I got it back and my gas mileage looks like it is going up according to the digital read out. So far, so good.

dicudmore
06-24-2004, 08:30 PM
good luck and have a good weekend at the zoo :D

Phat Matt
06-24-2004, 08:33 PM
good luck and have a good weekend at the zoo :D
Thanks, I'm sure I will! :D