PDA

View Full Version : New boat help...

Kokopelli
06-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Well, we have narrowed the field in our search. I would like to ask help from all of you.
If you have any opinions about the boats/companies, or have heard anything about them, please chime in. We would really appreciate the help!
Aftershock 21' Skier or Tornado
Commander 23' 2300 LX
Caliber 23' Velocity
Genesis 21-25' (will be looking this week)
Thanks!

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Kokopelli
Well, we have narrowed the field in our search. I would like to ask help from all of you.
If you have any opinions about the boats/companies, or have heard anything about them, please chime in. We would really appreciate the help!
Aftershock 21' Skier or Tornado
Commander 23' 2300 LX
Caliber 23' Velocity
Genesis 21-25' (will be looking this week)
Thanks!
Commander makes a nice boat, but man have I heard horror stories here on the boards about shifty goings on and warranty problems galore!
Heard good stuff about Aftershock and Caliber, very little about genesis outside of ***boat or powerboat test or 2...

rivercrazy
06-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Of those I'd say Genesis. But take a hard look at the 21 Shockwave Step Skier

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Of those I'd say Genesis. But take a hard look at the 21 Shockwave Step Skier
I did look at the genesis models at the boat show in January. They looked really nice... and I think they are a pretty good value.

Kokopelli
06-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I did look at the genesis models at the boat show in January. They looked really nice... and I think they are a pretty good value.
I heard that the Genesis guys used to work for Ultra. I'll be checking them out this week because I heard some good things....

Jrocket
06-20-2004, 08:58 PM
What about going to look at Ultra's?

Phat Matt
06-20-2004, 08:59 PM
When I bought my Commander I was orginally looking at the 23', but I ended up with the 24' signature and have been very happy. I do most of my boating at havasu on the weekends and the deeper V handles the chop pretty nicely.

Ivan Dan
06-20-2004, 09:42 PM
I would check out the Dana 23' open bow also. Its a very sharp, clean boat for the price and runs in the mid 70's with a 496HO. Or definitely check out the Shockwaves too they are always a good choice.

hd&boatrider
06-20-2004, 10:21 PM
I owned the 2300LX from Commander and it was/is their best hull...at least as far as the use I wanted out of it. I would not buy a Commander right now due to their BK filing. Too risky for me.
I now own a Shockwave and would definitely take a look at them. They are in Corona and just call up and ask for Barry.

Kokopelli
06-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
I owned the 2300LX from Commander and it was/is their best hull...at least as far as the use I wanted out of it. I would not buy a Commander right now due to their BK filing. Too risky for me.
I now own a Shockwave and would definitely take a look at them. They are in Corona and just call up and ask for Barry.
We'll check out Shockwave also. Our price limit is in the 40's.

OGShocker
06-21-2004, 05:23 AM
We'll check out Shockwave also. Our price limit is in the 40's.
As a Dana owner I can tell you, you will get a better boat dollar for dollar. Customer service at Dana is nothing short of amazing. The 23' Dana handles like a sportscar even in moderate chop. Dana includes all the bells and whistles most other call "options".
Check them out here (http://www.danaboats.com/23-ob-overview.htm)

mtndewdrops
06-21-2004, 05:24 AM
Why not buy an Essex? There is a nice 23' Monarch advertised in the Boat Trader for $44K.
These boats are quality built with one of the best hulls and interiors...IMO.

redneckgirl
06-21-2004, 05:36 AM
I would definately check out the Shockwave 21' Step Skier... We got ours in January and alreadey have 60 hours on it... we went with the 6.2 MPI and love it... it will do 62-70 depending on load/conditions and is in your price range... the Step Skier loves rough water... and is a blast to drive!!! I didn't like to drive our old boat 1971 Glastron, but love to drive the Step Skier...
Genisus seem to make an awesome boat...we almost signed a deal with Rudy... but felt like the Shockwave was a better boat for our boating needs... Best of luck in your decision... just get what makes you happy....:cool: :D
RNG

tgun
06-21-2004, 10:13 AM
check out the domn8er 23. A lot of boat for the price and I think the biggest in the class. This boat is a true 23. Rides and handles like a dream and will run 70 plus with 496 HO. My buddy just got his and I spent the weekend at havasu on it. Would be worth your time. Dory is the owner and is extremely hand on.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Commander is the midst of bankruptcy so if it were me in your shoes, and it's obviously not, but IMHO, I would not go with Commander for that reason alone. Genesis is built by one of the custom boating industries first families, the Casillas' and they put out a very good product in IMHO. Don't really know too much about Caliber or Aftershock have not seen enough of them to makea judgement. Personally if I were you I would look at other builders in the 21-23 ft. range. But these other builders I'm talking about are more expensive than the 4 you have listed so they may be more than you are willing to spend.
Keep in mind everyone is going to tell you that their boat is the best, otherwise why would they have bought it, right? Test drive all of the boats you are interested in.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
I would definately check out the Shockwave 21' Step Skier... We got ours in January and alreadey have 60 hours on it... we went with the 6.2 MPI and love it... it will do 62-70 depending on load/conditions and is in your price range
RNG
GPS or non-GPS speedo? There is a difference, as much as 7-8 mph from mine and others experience in all makes of boats.

SoCalHD
06-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I would not hesitate to purchase another Caliber 1. My wife and I have a 04 2300 Silencer with the 496HO. I have watched them build several 23 Velocity's as well as my Silencer-and they do an excellent job. The guy that they have doing the rigging is top notch as well-absolutely zero problems with anything so far. Almost to my 20 hr service!!

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Our price limit is in the 40's.
Did not see this before my first post on this topic. That being the case, no need to talk about some fo the builders I would suggest. You may want to look at Laser Boats, owned by the same people that own Essex but it does not come standard with all of the bells and whistles of the Essex nor is it laid-up in the exact same manner from my understanding. MDD seems to have the best idea so far if you want to go used.

rivercrazy
06-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
GPS or non-GPS speedo? There is a difference, as much as 7-8 mph from mine and others experience in all makes of boats.
THat boat is known to be pretty fast. It was tested on GPS with a 502MPI 415HP motor and went 78+ ....on GPS:D

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
THat boat is known to be pretty fast. It was tested on GPS with a 502MPI 415HP motor and went 78+ ....on GPS:D
That's fine, I'm not trying to start anything here. Just trying to let the topic starter know that there is a difference in top speed reports based on the method of collecting the data, GPS vs. non-GPS speedo. That's all I was trying to point out.

KineticoH20
06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I shopped hard for a new boat,and am having Genesis build me a 251.I felt really good about thier shop and crew,seemed like a family who cares about thier product.They were by far the easiest company to deal with,some of the compitition feels that they are doing us a favor by selling us thier product,just like Harley Davidson ie.... no customer appreciation.In my opinion go see the Genesis.

redneckgirl
06-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
I have never GPS our boat, Hot Boat radared the same boat and engine package at 70 if I remember correctly... like I said depending on the load/conditions... low fuel and 1 or 2 peeps... with all the crap we carry, 2 adults, 2 kids, big dog and 40lbs of ice plus drinks etc, etc... no we can not do 70 GPS... speed isn't the most important to us... no offense taken. We love our boat and that is all that matters.. :cool: :D
RNG

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
We love our boat and that is all that matters.. :cool: :D
RNG
Exactly!

Kokopelli
06-21-2004, 06:13 PM
OK. We have narrowed it down to two boats:
Shockwave 21' Step-Skier.
Genesis 23' 236, mid cabin cuddy open bow.
Both outfitted with 6.2 Merc, 320hp. Everything pretty much identical (bimini, thru-transom exhaust, dual batteries, etc.)
The price is pretty much the same at this point.
What do you guys think? I really appreciate your help and comments.
Thanks!

cc322
06-21-2004, 06:27 PM
I think that thier is a nice 24 nuera from grey goose? for 40 something, if not than the shockwave is nice good luck

riverbound
06-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Commander 23' 2300 LX
Thanks!
After all the negative threads that have gone on and on about this company. Why would you even consider them? You should PM thatjeffguy about his feelings.

FRENCHIE
06-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Both outfitted with 6.2 Merc, 320hp. Everything pretty much identical (bimini, thru-transom exhaust, dual batteries, etc.)
Thanks!
i also was in your shoes about 4 months ago, and am more than glad i wnet with the shockwave! I looked around at , at least 5 different brands, the boat show etc! call and ask for Barry diehl he will definately take more than great care of ya!;) :D
http://www.shockwaveboats.com/

slink
06-21-2004, 06:48 PM
KOKO, check your PM

OGShocker
06-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks!
Have you driven either of these?

Kokopelli
06-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Have you driven either of these?
OG, not yet... we will be this week. Have you driven either one?

mtndewdrops
06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks!
Consider your usage...
IF you are going to ski alot and don't mind a smaller boat in rough conditions then perhaps go for the Shockwave.
IF you like to cruize the lake alot and ski not as much and would like to run in rougher conditions, go with the Genesis.
Compare dry weight... I am sure there will be a noticable difference with the larger mid-cuddy.
What are the manufacturer' warrantys?
Check Re-Sale value of both boats. Chances are that in 3-5 years you will upgrade...this is why I think USED BOATS are a SMARTER BUY. Unless of course you are still driving your first car.
Anyway hope these suggestions help...

SandbarScot
06-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Go with the 16' Bayliner! j/k
You've got some great responses from people in the know! Knowing you and your family, that Genisis is looking like the boat...you need room to party!
But like I said, get a 496 HO.....and mount a brass pole up front like Party Cat.:D

Kokopelli
06-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by SandbarScot
.....and mount a brass pole up front like Party Cat.:D
Now that's an accessory that we will need! LOL

Kilrtoy
06-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Since everyone else brought this up, We checked every company when buying ours in 99. They were still a realitively new company at that time and well, they are still the same company today, 5 years later and doing a whole lot of business,. I think that speaks for itself. I have yet to hear anything, ANYTHING, bad about them and that is
SHOCKWAVE.:D

OGShocker
06-21-2004, 08:26 PM
OG, not yet... we will be this week. Have you driven either one?
No, we looked at the bigger boats for our needs. I have driven the Dana 23'. :D

redneckgirl
06-21-2004, 08:34 PM
After going to Genesis web page ... we compared the G232 to the SW SS... The 236 is a totally different boat... with the Genesis 236 on the web there is no jump seats (seats behind driver/passenger seats) Is the cuddy open bow differnt?... IMHO these are two different boats... Where do you boat at mostly??? If you boat at bigger lakes havasua/mead/powell you are probably br better off with the G236, or if you enjoy water spoorts more you will probably be better off with the SW... Either boat I am sure you will love... It all depends on your boating needs... We are a little biased but we prefer the Shockwave.... Like I said before Genesis makes an awesome boat... test drive both and you will know which is best for your boating needs... Either way you will not be sorry!!! :eek: :D Best of luck ... whatever you are happy with go for it!!! :D :D
RNG

ROZ
06-22-2004, 12:05 AM
See if whipped WhipedCaliber still has his Caliber1 23. It's a hell of a deal.. :cool: