PDA

View Full Version : Sub Suggestions

LHC30Victory
06-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Looking for info to put one or two 10" subs in the rear seat base of our 30 advantage. I will need info on the subs, the enclosures and an amp. I want to add these to our sony system that is using 8 of the 6" speakers and the Sony Explode amp. The boat stays in Havasu and we listen to a wide range of tunes.
If anyone has a good installer (w/references) we'd consider loaning the house for a week in xchange for labor, just keep in mind I have been called (something ) retentive on occassion.

rivercrazy
06-22-2004, 02:55 PM
My suggestion would be to find a suitable Class D mono subwoofer amplifer for whatever sub you choose. They run cooler and much more efficiently than a traditional multichannel class A/B amp.
What is your goal? Sound Quality, Sound Volume, or a combination of both?

LHC30Victory
06-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Don't need killer volume but would like to have good quaility. I'm thinking of taking the existing amp out from behind the mid-cabin seat and mount it in the open above the seat back on a seperate board. the new amp would be next to it or on the other (port) side.
Have heard on other threads that JBL makes good stuff. Is that what I'd bee in for? What other options are there without bankrupting?
I can make the boxes but need dimentions.

rivercrazy
06-22-2004, 05:34 PM
If you are going with a single sub, you might consider one 12 instead a 10. It will be quite a bit louder and without needing to build a substantially larger box. Most 10's call for a .65 cubic box and 12's need 1 cubic foot in sealed applications. Each sub is a little different.
IMO you cant go wrong with JBL, Infinity, JL Audio, PG, etc. Personally I like JBL for amplifiers. Infinity Perfect subs have a nice combination of sound quality that are respectably loud.

77charger
06-22-2004, 05:35 PM
kicker L7s they also have a nice box for them too.

LHC30Victory
06-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
If you are going with a single sub, you might consider one 12 instead a 10. It will be quite a bit louder and without needing to build a substantially larger box. Most 10's call for a .65 cubic box and 12's need 1 cubic foot in sealed applications. Each sub is a little different.
I only have 14" vertical and don't want to cut into the bench base too much, also I have a reason to go with two whether it will be 10" or 12" subs. Can one decent ($$) amp handle the two subs without overpowering the 6" speakers?

riverbound
06-22-2004, 08:30 PM
LHC30victory,
If you are really concerned with install quality, My service manager was ranked as one of the top 12 installers in the U.S. Feel free to call me at my shop (909)481-8411 If you read some of the older post in this section you can see that I have taken care of fellow hot boaters. I am located in Ontario right next to the Mills mall
Bill Kean Al&Eds Ontario

LHC30Victory
06-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks RB, I may do that. The only prob is I'm dreading bringing the boat out from LHC. But that would be a good reason to go to the ocean!

riverbound
06-22-2004, 09:17 PM
If you are interested we do offer pick up and delivery of the boat, there is a charge though.

motoboy913
07-06-2004, 10:52 PM
maybe a separate mono channel amp just for the sub?
i have a jl audio 12 inch sub in my ford ranger it works perfect in it
infinity is also a good brand even tho i dont know much about this stuff

survey76
07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I really like JBL amps and Elemental Designs subwoofers. I've run them in both my boat and truck with great success. The subs sound really clean and work really good in small enclosures. The amps run cool and make great power for the money. I know it doesn't get as hot in TX as it does in AZ, but I've ran the amps all day long in the heat here in TX and not had any overheating problems, even without fans and at 1ohm.
-Dan