PDA

View Full Version : Air bags

phebus
06-24-2004, 06:18 AM
I want to install air bags on our '03 Yukon XL. Any suggestions on the best place to get them in Orange County? Or suggestions on what kind to get? The rear end realy sags when the boat is hooked up.

HCS
06-24-2004, 07:02 AM
I don't care for air bags. I had way too many problems with them.
They were always leaking. I switch to air shocks and they have
been trouble free. Also you can adjust the hight.
If they don't have them for your application you just measure the
length of you shock and match them up.

TheEduKATor
06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I had rear airbags installed on my old 98 Tahoe. I believe they were firestones and they worked wonders and were worth every penny. I payed $350 parts & labor but that was two years ago. It can cost more if you want an air tank installed so you can control the height at your fingerstips instead of filling up the airbags with a compressor or stoping at a gas station to air them up. The shop I had mine installed at has since changed ownership. Call some local shops in your area and get a ballpark figure for your particular application. There was a thread a while back about suspension kits and installers in So Cal, you might want to do a search for it.
I had them for two years and never had a leak or any problems. Depends on the brand and installer I guess. Here is a picture of my rig with the bags aired up for towing. Before I had them installed , it looked like I was popping a willie all the way to Havasu.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/550tahoe2.jpg

MagicMtnDan
06-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Here!

Nubbs
06-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I have the firestone double bellow bags on my pickup. It's a 96 1500 that's lowered. The bags keep my rear suspension from bottoming out all the time. IMO the double bellow bags (they look like 2 donuts stacked on top of each other) are way better than the "tapered air sleeve" style bag. When properly installed, they will give trouble-free service. I would not use air shocks. They do work, but they're kind of a band-aid. Shocks are used to dampen the up and down movement of the axle. They are not made to support a load. The shock mounts are not made to support a load either. However, many people use air shocks to their satisfaction. Check out these links for air bag setups.
Firestone, Ride Rite (http://www.ride-rite.com/Ride-Rite.htm)
Bell Tech (http://www.belltechcorp.com/)

Mandelon
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
I had em on my F250 and they were great. I hauled a 2000lb camper and towed the 23 foot boat...

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
we are taking our's down next week to 4 wheel parts I think it is in glendale or up that way. ;)

HCS
06-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Must be just me. It's those Firestone air bags I had nothing but
problems with. The nozzles kept blowing off the air bags.
After switching them out 5 times in one year I took them off and
chucked em. Firestone never could tell me what the problem was.
Kind of like there tires I guess. Junk.

goneboatin
06-24-2004, 03:42 PM
I had a lowered '99 Silverado with air bags. Never had a lick of trouble with them. I had installed at Gary's Custom Truck in Ontario. Their job was ok, but I would never reccommed them after the hassle I had with them.
Just my $.02
GB

Froggystyle
06-24-2004, 03:46 PM
I built a set for my Durango a couple of years ago that worked awesome. Nobody made a kit, so I whittled one up myself. Here are some pics...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=763477
Never a problem with the bags. I loved them, and it really helped the ride under load a lot.

Quality Time
06-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Phebus,
In OC go talk to the guys at Outlaw Offroad in Lake Forest. They did my suspension and said that if I had an issue while towing they could put bags on. I didn't have any issues with the new boat (32'), but they did a great job on my suspension and were very reasonable and no BS.
Good Luck

HCS
06-24-2004, 04:07 PM
We'll I'm glad my air bags work so good.:p