PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

welk2party
06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
As some of you may know, my boat is for sale. The phone number in the ad I am using is my father in-laws work number. I may be traveling a bit this summer so I figured that would be the best number to use. Anyway, I told him to not show the boat at my house. If someone is interested, he should meet them somewhere with the boat. He thinks I am nuts. I said I did not want someone to know where the boat is being kept after they had a chance to check out what it has inside (like stereo and stuff.) So I am asking for advice from the boards. Am I crazy or am I OK?

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I think you are right.. We do the same thing.. ;)

Doug H.
06-24-2004, 09:47 AM
I too would do the same thing if your boat is set up with big stereo stuff and such, your being safe and as long as the old man is ok with it. :D

mirvin
06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Hell no don't show it at your house!! Last summer when I was looking at boats there was one guy that gave me his address and said to go look at the boat by myself and call him back if I need to talk to him any more???
That guy was stoopid.
mirvin;)

topless
06-24-2004, 09:50 AM
I think you are paranoid. I have looked at boats for sale and NEVER ever had someone bring the boat to me. I would be a little nervous if someone said they would meet me somewhere. It would sure put questions of true ownership in my mind especially if the person showing the boat says "it's not mine, I'm selling it for so and so. I wouldn't even go look. Just my opinion but good luck selling it.:D

jackpunx
06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
I think you are right.. We do the same thing.. ;)
I would do the same thing:D

mirvin
06-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by topless
I think you are paranoid. I have looked at boats for sale and NEVER ever had someone bring the boat to me. I would be a little nervous if someone said they would meet me somewhere. It would sure put questions of true ownership in my mind especially if the person showing the boat says "it's not mine, I'm selling it for so and so. I wouldn't even go look. Just my opinion but good luck selling it.:D
Toppless you've got a good point, BUT, when you're talking about 50, 60, 80, or $100K worth of boat, you need to protect yourself and your property. Especially if HE is not going to be present for these meetings.......Imagine this: "yeah, this is my son in laws boat, here's his house, by the way he's on vacation for the next few days"....:)
mirvin;)

welk2party
06-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Ownership is not an issue. If sopmeone has doubts they can look at the registration. If my in-law is showing it he can show them my insirance card since he is the named insured. I do not want to take the boat to someone as much as I would meet them somewhere. I was thinking the lake or something. Bottom line is I do not want someone I have never met to know where my boat is PERIOD! If it is a friend than no problem!

topless
06-24-2004, 09:56 AM
You have a point too but who is not going to have a boat like that secured anyway? Who needs to know he is on vacation? I'm just saying I would be skeptical.

welk2party
06-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Well my boat is secured in that you cannot drive off with it. But what is stopping someone from relieving me of my stereo equipment or motor accessories or whatever.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-24-2004, 10:00 AM
I sell stuff out of my house all the time and I NEVER show people where I live. Too many risks.

roostwear
06-24-2004, 10:00 AM
The other side of the coin is that by meeting someone somewhere, you're delivering it to them. A lot easier to jack that way. Just a paranoid thought.

welk2party
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
If someone jacks me at the meeting place, then I basically just sold the boat to the insurance company.

topless
06-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Well there ya have it. INSURANCE;)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Ok, call me naive but how many people who are looking at purchasing a $80k boat are going to consider stealing stereo/accessories etc. from someone???

HavasuDreamin'
06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Ok, call me naive but how many people who are looking at purchasing a $80k boat are going to consider stealing stereo/accessories etc. from someone???
Is the person really there to look at the boat though? Or are they there saying they are interested, but really scoping out the scene.
One way to solve it is to make sure the interested party knows the boat is protected by Smith & Wesson! ;) :D

ahhell
06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
So...what kinda stereo ya got...and where's the boat???????
:D
I looked at many lower priced boats and it was always at the house, but better safe than sorry, BTW, one stereo had been jacked:frown:

rrrr
06-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
They aren't looking to buy, they're looking for stuff that's easy to steal.
My neighbor's car was stolen by a guy that a realtor brought over to "look" at the house when it was for sale. He grabbed the extra keys off the hanger by the door, came back that night and took the car....

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Again, I may be naive but if your boat is kept somewhere where there is access to its stereo and stuff on a regular basis, why would the owner be more suspicous of someone who may want to buy it than any Joe Smo walking down the street? Are thieves so clever these days that they scan the Boat Trader for job locations??
Also, here's a good idea, don't keep anything in your boat.

HCS
06-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't trust people. It might seem paranoid but that's the way I
would do it.
People are going to ask all kinds of questions.
Are you the owner?
How Many hours are on it?etc.
Have dad meet them over his house.

RiverDave
06-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I guess I'm a little more trusting in people then that.. I'd show it wherever?
RD

Essex29
06-24-2004, 11:06 AM
hell, I can' even get people to come out and look at mine...I love in Ventura County..tons of calls,but not many willing to make a day trip out of it.

topless
06-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TheGreyGoose
hell, I can' even get people to come out and look at mine...I love in Ventura County..tons of calls,but not many willing to make a day trip out of it.
Can you haul it to Norco so I can look at it?

welk2party
06-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Well I cannot take out amps and speakers and whatever. I guess I am just paranoid.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-24-2004, 11:13 AM
I have an idea! Keep your boat and keep on going to the river. That way, your boat will not be at your house for the thieves to case and rip-off!
Problem Solved!
I am here to help!
:D :D

HM
06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
you guys are paranoid.
but whatever, it is your stuff.
What is to stop someone from following you home or breaking into the business it is kept at, or storage facility?