PDA

View Full Version : WTF...why doesn't this work.

Shmoolie
06-24-2004, 09:42 AM
I don't know shiznit about this stuff.
I have this small air conditioner that I use at the river sometimes.
It is only 500 watts, 5000 btu, something like 4.5 amps as I think.
I thought I would pick up a generator to run it from when there is no power to plug into. The generator is 1850 watts, 1500 continuous.
The air conditioner works fine plugged into my house.
The generator also works fine. I plugged an electric impact into it and it had no problems running it.
The generator will not run the air conditioner.
Absolutely nothing happens when I plug it into the generator.
The display on the air unit does not even light up.
WTF. Is a 1500 watt generator not big enough to run a 500 watt air conditioner or is there some other electrical voodoo that I need to know about.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
what you need to find out is the amperage. I guarantee that air conditioner pulls more than 4.5 amps on startup. the generator probably does not have enough ass to supply the amps necessary for startup. the 4.5 amps is after it is already running.
Omega

1stepcloser
06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
What he said. Start up draw is a bitch with A/C units, especially if its hot. 500 watts seems very low to me, typically those units draw 1200 to 1500 watts, with start up's around 1500 to 1800.

Shmoolie
06-24-2004, 09:58 AM
The label on the unit says 500 watts. It doesn't say anything about start up wattage. Is there some way to measure the start up wattage if I plug it into the wall socket and turn it on? Umm... without frying my ass of course.

1stepcloser
06-24-2004, 10:02 AM
You could mesure the current then convert it to wattage, Radio Shack sells an inline amperage meter, though I dont know what the ratings are.

uvindex
06-24-2004, 10:09 AM
The guy's saying "absolutely nothing happens when he plugs it in, even the display doesn't show anything" so it isn't time to conclude (yet) that the A/C's start-up current draw is too much.
Does your A/C have a "fan only" (no A/C) setting? Have you tried that? I'm sure your generator supplies enough juice to run it in fan-only mode. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you might have tripped your generator's breaker.
Be sure to test the generator's outlet with a table lamp or trouble light just before you plug in the A/C, just to make sure the outlet is working. Also, make sure your generator is fully warmed up before applying a big load to it.
The typical symptom you'll see when your generator won't support your A/C's startup draw is that the generator will stall as soon as you turn the A/C from "fan-only" to "cool", or, the breaker will trip -- that's not what you've described (yet) so get back to us.
Good luck!

Shmoolie
06-24-2004, 10:10 AM
I just checked the sharp website but the specs don't have any wattage or amperage listed for the unit at all.
I think I'll look into the amperage meter thing and try to measure it. Thanks.

Shmoolie
06-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by RatherBeInLHC
The guy's saying "absolutely nothing happens when he plugs it in, even the display doesn't show anything" so it isn't time to conclude (yet) that the A/C's start-up current draw is too much.
Does your A/C have a "fan only" (no A/C) setting? Have you tried that? I'm sure your generator supplies enough juice to run it in fan-only mode. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you might have tripped your generator's breaker.
Be sure to test the generator's outlet with a table lamp or trouble light before you plug in the A/C, just to make sure the outlet is working.
The typical symptom you'll see when your generator won't support your A/C's startup draw is that the generator will stall as soon as you turn the A/C from "fan-only" to "cool", or, the breaker will trip -- that's not what you've described (yet) so get back to us.
Good luck!
The unit does have a fan only setting. The thing is, the controls are electronic and if I plug it into the wall and set it to fan only, it defaults back to max air when I unplug it. There does not seem to be any way to make it come on in fan only mode when I first plug it in.
I did think about the breaker and tryed the impact after trying the air unit. The breaker was not tripped.
It is accurate that absolutely nothing happens when I plug it in. I push the on button and nothing, no display, no draw on the generator... nothing. Thanks for the troubleshooting help guys!

Dr. Eagle
06-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Did you try plugging in a light or drill or something to check to make sure your generator is putting out? If the generator is operating properly, you should have something on the display.
Regardless, the unit will take anywhere from 3 to 10 times (depending on Mfg, quality, etc.) the panel rating for a half second or so on start up.
Motor starts always have to be considered in selecting a generator size.

Shmoolie
06-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Did you try plugging in a light or drill or something to check to make sure your generator is putting out? If the generator is operating properly, you should have something on the display.
Regardless, the unit will take anywhere from 3 to 10 times (depending on Mfg, quality, etc.) the panel rating for a half second or so on start up.
Motor starts always have to be considered in selecting a generator size.
I've been using an electic impact wrench to check if the generator is working. The impact has worked everytime I've tried it.
Wow... 3 to 10 times. I had no idea. I'm going to try to measure it since I can't find any specs other than the 500 watts on the label.

mickeyfinn
06-24-2004, 03:56 PM
If it is a new Air conditioner then chances are it has digital display and a small processor controlling it. Generators are infamous for providing "dirty" power. You may need a line conditioner to put between the generator. That is the only reason I can think of that you would get nothing happening. If you know someone with a similar sized air conditioner that is an older model see if you can borrow it and try it.

Tinkerer
06-24-2004, 06:19 PM
It could also be a polarity issue.
Check to see if their is power between the larger spade opening and the ground opening.
If their is any voltage pressent then the polarity is backwards.
the A/C is probably polarity sensative and the impact is not.

Cheap Thrills
06-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
If it is a new Air conditioner then chances are it has digital display and a small processor controlling it. Generators are infamous for providing "dirty" power. You may need a line conditioner to put between the generator. That is the only reason I can think of that you would get nothing happening. If you know someone with a similar sized air conditioner that is an older model see if you can borrow it and try it.
Exactly !
if it is like you say digital . then the chances of the generator putting out 110V.AC @ a constant 60 Hz are slim .
anyhow in case you didn't know heres how to figure amperage / wattage for a certain Voltage
Single-Phase
Volts x Amperes = Watts
Watts divided by Volts = Amperes
I would almost bet you problem is caused by
the generator not being very frequency stable .
C.T. :wink:

Dr. Eagle
06-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
Exactly !
if it is like you say digital . then the chances of the generator putting out 110V.AC @ a constant 60 Hz are slim .
anyhow in case you didn't know heres how to figure amperage / wattage for a certain Voltage
Single-Phase
Volts x Amperes = Watts
Watts divided by Volts = Amperes
I would almost bet you problem is caused by
the generator not being very frequency stable .
C.T. :wink:
Probably true since the voltage and frequency in an engine generator set are maintained by engine RPM. If the engine generator doesn't have a good governor, it will fluctuate.

Shmoolie
06-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
The air conditioner is only a couple of years old and has an electronic display so I'm thinking this line conditioner thing may be what I need. I'm going to do a web search to see what I can find. If anyone has any suggestions as to a particular brand or size or whatever that would be a good choice for this application that would be cool.

Dr. Eagle
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Did you ever try anything else with the generator?:D

Lightning
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Shmoolie
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
The air conditioner is only a couple of years old and has an electronic display so I'm thinking this line conditioner thing may be what I need. I'm going to do a web search to see what I can find. If anyone has any suggestions as to a particular brand or size or whatever that would be a good choice for this application that would be cool.
Just a side note, I don't think the AC will cool the tent when your camping at the river. Also, is it window mount on the tent? :D

Shmoolie
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Did you ever try anything else with the generator?:D
Anything else as in running another device from it?
The only other thing I've run is the electric impact wrench from the generator so far.
It has worked everytime I've tried it.
As to the suggestions...
There are a couple of things I'm going to look into:
Measuring the startup voltage/amperage for the air unit,
I need to get an inline meter to try to measure it.
I'm going to try to run something else that is polarized from
the generator to see if that is an issue.
I can't try starting the air unit on the fan only setting, there is no way to do that as the unit always comes on in the air conditioning mode when you push the on button. It does not matter what mode it is in when you shut it off, it always comes on that way.
Polarity. Check to see if there is power between the larger spade opening and the ground opening.
I have a volt meter so I can check that.
Oh and the line conditioner thing also.

Shmoolie
06-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Lightning
Just a side note, I don't think the AC will cool the tent when your camping at the river. Also, is it window mount on the tent? :D
:D :D
Actually I've used this thing many times for the shell on my truck.
I sit it on the tailgate, close the hatch, and put on some warm clothes 'cause it's cold like f'n Alaska in there!
You going to the river this weekend Ari?
We'll be there with or without air conditioning.

HCS
06-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Try running a vibrator for the snake lady. See if that works.

Lightning
06-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Shmoolie
:D :D
Actually I've used this thing many times for the shell on my truck.
I sit it on the tailgate, close the hatch, and put on some warm clothes 'cause it's cold like f'n Alaska in there!
You going to the river this weekend Ari?
We'll be there with or without air conditioning.
I will be there, leaving tonight. Where are you staying?

Shmoolie
06-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I will be there, leaving tonight. Where are you staying?
I'm staying at my sisters house in Yuma tonight.
I'll look for you guys on the sandbar, should be my usual crew plus a couple of kids this time.

Lightning
06-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Sounds good, see ya' tomorrow