PDA

View Full Version : Escondido/San Diego

Kachina26
06-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Going to a wedding this weekend down in Escondido. (Oh joy) Anyway, my wife and I have a day to kill on Saturday. I would like to take her somewhere nice to eat and perhaps down to Crystal Pier. Any ideas on where to eat breakfast? Better beaches?

BarryMac
06-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey Kachina26,
Where did you end up getting a room?
There are some great places to eat on the coast, no more than 20 minutes from Escondido, the wife and I like Las Olas, it is in Cardiff by the Sea, awesome Margaritas and good authentic Mexican Food also it's casual flip flops, shorts and tanktops are ok, it's on Hwy. 101 on the East side, there are also some great restaruants right across the street from Las Olas, little more pricy and the atmosphere is a lot classier (no flip flops :( ). One thing to consider is the San Diego County Fair is happening right now, it's at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, there are lots of good eats there but they are all fattening as hell. Crystal Pier is a good 45 minutes away, it's in Pacific Beach, there are a few good eateries there also it's a major party town, lots of Bars and Pubs. The Gaslamp district in Downtown SD is happening, tons of places to eat and drink and a ton of querky little shops, great place on a weekend night, wont be to crowded this weekend, the Padres are out of town, hope that this gives you some ideas. Wish we were going to be in town just in case I thought of something else, we will be at the River...
gjb

Tyson Ross
06-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Do not know you time table but in Pacific Beach there is the Broken Yoke or the Eggery ( on the beach for most part) for breakfast, or you can go to Rocky's on Ingraham for the best burger you ever had (get a pitcher of beer too), or go to Case de Pico in Old Town and get a fish bowl margarita..:D

Kachina26
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
We ended up at the comfort Inn, on west valley parkway. Seems like it should be ok and they have wireless internet access. I'd rather be at the river, at least I know my way around there. Thanx for the tips, if anyone else has ideas please share.

Kachina26
06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
What beach in oceanside is nice?

ROZ
06-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Are you here now? Shit you're only about 5 minuites from GGAJB, RUBTHS, and me..lol

ROZ
06-24-2004, 10:36 PM
San Maros has restraunt row. Plenty of good places to eat there...
Get on the 15 north , 78 west, San Marcos BLVD west(left), and it's about a mile up on your right hand side..
Oceanside harbor/beach has plenty of sand to relax on. i spoke to my cousin(works there) yesterday and was told that it's partially sunny over there. 78 west exit Oceanside Harbor west and follow the road to the left where it T's at the harbor. This will lead you around to the beach. A couple nice shops and Rockin' Baja Lobster is there...
Carlsbad village area also has a few nice touristy places to visit... 78 west, 5 south, exit carlsbad village dr and go right.... Mexican place south of the corner of Cbad village on the 101 has good foor. The seawall is a nice leisurely stroll..
I agree with GGJB about Las Olas. Good Mexican food across from the beach...
You could also hit the village of Del Mar, but it wil likely be crowded from the fair...
OceanBeach's Newport blvd is a cool place to wander and grab a beer, too... 15 south, 8 west to the end and follow the sunset cliffs signs. Make a right onto Newport Blvd and follow to the end. There's a pier there as well nearby parking. Some of the peeps are still stuck in the 60's there... A few tatoo shops if ya wanna get ink :D Nico's has good mexican eats!!!

BarryMac
06-25-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Personally don't care for O'Side beaches, I would head South to Carlsbad, the Seawall that Roz mentioned is really cool, when your heading south it's just as you leave the C'bad Downtown area, if you surf there is some pretty good surf there as well.
There is a pretty good Micro Brew in Restraunt row in San Marcos, believe it or not it is called San Marcos Brewery, good food and better BEER...
gjb

ahhell
06-25-2004, 05:32 AM
What......do you guys have monthly weddings in San Diego???
Ship a gift, tell them you kicked your prop and cut your foot:D and head to the river

Kachina26
06-25-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by ahhell
Ship a gift, tell them you kicked your prop and cut your foot:D and head to the river
No, a month ago I was prepping for this one. Hey, I did manage to fanagle a day off of work:D When am I gonna see your clan at Havasu? I got my eye out for that Camaro here in town.

78Eliminator
06-25-2004, 06:19 AM
Don't go to the beach in Oceanside. Go south on 101 and pass Encinitas. Keep looking for the "Self Realization Fellowship" building on your right. It looks like Alladin lives there and people call it "Swamis". Anyway, RIGHT AFTER IT, is a little parking lot you can pull in and walk down the stairs to the beach. It's more of a local place and not as many tourists as Oceanside.....

ahhell
06-25-2004, 06:20 AM
No, a month ago I was prepping for this one. Hey, I did manage to fanagle a day off of work:D When am I gonna see your clan at Havasu? I got my eye out for that Camaro here in town.
Heading to Moabi this weekend:D
as for the Camaro, my son was doing me a favor, he changed the oil and spilled alittle while filling it. so it was time to clean the motor and wash the car, as he was backing out...with the door open...got distracted and put the open door into the open 15 ft. fence...time for body work. Luckily i wasnt home at the time, or I may have come unglued:mad:

Kachina26
06-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Oh man my stomach just got all quesy reading that! I wish I could drop by and invade to Moabi trip but you guys are doing the midweek thing and I got one of those.............oh crap whatdoyacallit? Oh yeah............ a job. :D

Kachina26
06-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Bloody Mary's over at Topock! There are none better, any time of day is great.

ahhell
06-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Bloody Mary's over at Topock! There are none better, any time of day is great.
We'll be close enuf to Topock to smell the Bloody's, have fun in your TUX;)

casean
06-25-2004, 07:39 AM
There is a great place for breakfast in Encinitas called the Potato Shack. One of the few places that I am willing to drive out of our way to eat breakfast at. Well this place and Topock of course. Nothing like a Topock special and a mixed one in the morning.
Here is the address for Potato Shack:
120 West "I" Street
Encinitas, CA 92024

NashvilleBound
06-25-2004, 07:50 AM
If your going to be there on Sunday you must go to Lowes Coronado Resorts "Sunday Brunch". I kid you not its the best in the US. I have searched everywhere around this country and its the best....course its @$35.00 a head but well worth it. Down on Coronado Island.... then you can walk around the town. Its quite a day.

summerlove
06-25-2004, 08:16 AM
I live in Leucadia, and Gottajetboat is right about Las Olas....the fish taco plate is awesome! Also, the george's margarita is spectactular!
To get a real beach setting though, and I realize the fair is in session, try Jakes Del Mar. You can sit and eat off the lunch/dinner menu in the bar and the restaurant is right on Del Mar beach! If you get there for brunch/lunch you will not be disappointed. You can also almost always see dolphins right outside frockling ;) in the surf....It's a pretty awesome place!
You might also want to try La Jolla - go to the cove and there are plenty of restaurants to visit, with many different types of food choices...
Have fun (Escondido sucks though)

jbtrailerjim
06-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by casean
There is a great place for breakfast in Encinitas called the Potato Shack. One of the few places that I am willing to drive out of our way to eat breakfast at. Well this place and Topock of course. Nothing like a Topock special and a mixed one in the morning.
Here is the address for Potato Shack:
120 West "I" Street
Encinitas, CA 92024
The Potato Shack rocks. My buddy and his wife that live in Encinitas took my wife and I there for breakfast. They got some good food there.

78Eliminator
06-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Good call Summerlove. I grew up in Encinitas, but live in Vista now.....
I miss the coast.

GrapeApe
06-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Konos right at the front of Crystal Pier is Great Eating.... and its finally Sunny..
*** Grape Ape ***

BarryMac
06-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
Have fun (Escondido sucks though)
I second that and have lived there for 20 years, I love the coast but couldn't afford a house there with my toy habit...
gjb

casean
06-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
I second that and have lived there for 20 years, I love the coast but couldn't afford a house there with my toy habit...
gjb
I have to 3rd that also. I grew up there and welcomed the day we moved. You know it's time to get out when your best friend, who's a cop in Escondido moves his family out of there because he doesn't feel it's safe.

ROZ
06-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
I live in Leucadia (Escondido sucks though) Snob :p
Do your neighbors know you're a Democrat? :D

ROZ
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by casean
I have to 3rd that also. I grew up there and welcomed the day we moved. You know it's time to get out when your best friend, who's a cop in Escondido moves his family out of there because he doesn't feel it's safe. That depends on where you live and shop.... Plenty of ritzy areas that don't look like north gamble :)

ROZ
06-25-2004, 11:29 AM
There's also a good breakfast spot at the most southern end of center city parkway. Just before Center city turns into the 15 south , there's an old hotel on the left with a restruant next door... Good stuff! Soon as I can remember the name I'll post it

Screaming Pete
06-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Rporting live from ESCONDIDO 2 miles from the WAP and Hottter than Hell today running the AC it must be 85 right now, time to jump in the pool, Damm I don't have one :mad:

casean
06-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
That depends on where you live and shop.... Plenty of ritzy areas that don't look like north gamble :)
True, there are some areas that are allot better off than Gamble and Ivy. I must say the south end by the mall is a very nice area. How ever I'm still glad we moved.

Screaming Pete
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Center City Cafe?

ROZ
06-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete
Center City Cafe? YUP! Everything else sucks, but they make a mean breakfast! :D
Did you get all that concrete poured? You're more than welcome to jump in my pool, but ya have to plant a few trees first :D :D

BarryMac
06-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Center City Cafe
The Mexican Place next door is awesome, Hacienda de Vega, they have totally authentic Mexican food (I know I'm married to one) and the Margaritas are the best I have ever had, there pricey but well worth it...
Screamin Pete, what side of town you on
gjb

Screaming Pete
06-25-2004, 12:28 PM
No the cement is not poured yet we grade next week and start the built in spa 10x12 with a water fall, It will be big Pimp'n style. the bar b que going for the Bulls 5 burner or DCS after we get them in then the cement.
I live on Peet Place , Of cource by LR Green elem.east 1 block and up the hill

Kachina26
06-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, I'm at the hotel on w valley parkway across from the target. The neighborhood seems ok, but there is a smell throughout the hotel that I cannot describe:yuk: I shoulda spent the extra hundred bucks a night and stayed somewhere nice. Oh well, I will make the best of it.

summerlove
06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Snob :p
Do your neighbors know you're a Democrat? :D
Hell NO - they'd throw my ass out!;) Actually, I'm one of a few token dem's in my hood....

ROZ
06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
:D :D :D

Screaming Pete
06-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Well, I'm at the hotel on w valley parkway across from the target. The neighborhood seems ok, but there is a smell throughout the hotel that I cannot describe:yuk: I shoulda spent the extra hundred bucks a night and stayed somewhere nice. Oh well, I will make the best of it.
What your smelling is Nemo's bakery they work 24/7 baking those little treats you buy at 7/11 carrot caks cookies and there is also the egg farm down past the auto park mix those together and it an't right:yuk:

Kachina26
06-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete
What your smelling is Nemo's bakery they work 24/7 baking those little treats you buy at 7/11 carrot caks cookies and there is also the egg farm down past the auto park mix those together and it an't right:yuk:
Actually after the baby next door began to cry I had them move me. The new room is much more pleasant.

klymN
06-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Whats up in San Diego tonight?? Anyone know??

ahhell
06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by klymN
Whats up in San Diego tonight?? Anyone know??
Probably the humidity....;)

BarryMac
06-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Probably the humidity....;)
You got that right, I was just out packing the boat and came in to check the boards, I am sweating like a mofo.
Kachina, I am about 1 mile west of your hotel, I don't smell anything? j/k. We just got a letter form the City that tells us that something went bad at the sewer treatment plant, it has a funk in the air that is 99% better today than it was this time two weeks ago, there is also a flood channel behind your Hotel, that may be contributing...
gjb

Scream
06-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey, are you making fun of me????

Kachina26
06-25-2004, 08:43 PM
The funk is the hotel, it got better once they aired it out. That room was foul! I got a different room and it is much better. Scoped out that centre city cafe for the morning, I'm gonna go give it a try.

ahhell
06-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Hey, are you making fun of me????
Would I do that??? just wondering if K26 got rid of the funky
smell. Not that he'd kick his prop or anything;) :D :D :D

ROZ
06-29-2004, 09:45 PM
You got that right, I was just out packing the boat and came in to check the boards, I am sweating like a mofo.
Kachina, I am about 1 mile west of your hotel, I don't smell anything? j/k. We just got a letter form the City that tells us that something went bad at the sewer treatment plant, it has a funk in the air that is 99% better today than it was this time two weeks ago, there is also a flood channel behind your Hotel, that may be contributing...
gjb A mile away and you couldn't stop by to say hi?
I hope you atleast waved as you left town for the river :D

BarryMac
06-30-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
A mile away and you couldn't stop by to say hi?
I hope you atleast waved as you left town for the river :D
I did as a matter of fact, drove right by his hotel to get on the 15 South, flew the peace sign out the window to him and punched it...
gjb

Kachina26
07-01-2004, 05:57 PM
I did as a matter of fact, drove right by his hotel to get on the 15 South, flew the peace sign out the window to him and punched it...
gjb
So that was you????? Thanks for the help guys, I liked that Centre city cafe. You didn't tell me it was a lesbian cafe, big burley broads too. Good food. I got to try a dessert at the reheasal dinner, it was called puto. Didn't care for it, but I got a real kick out of the name. It is a filipino dish, they had a whole roasted pig there too.

Kachina26
07-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Did any of you San Diegoans catch the article in the Union Tribune on Sunday in the "Passages" section on E2? That is the wedding I went to. Bobbie is my wife's cousin.

ahhell
07-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Did any of you San Diegoans catch the article in the Union Tribune on Sunday in the "Passages" section on E2? That is the wedding I went to. Bobbie is my wife's cousin.
Isnt passages a bad thing? shouldnt be named unions or hitchings or something better than "passages" thats what Grampa did years ago:confused: :D