PDA

View Full Version : New Record - Catalina Ski Race

burtandnancy
06-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Todd Haig blew everyone's doors off this morning, easily winning the Catalina Ski Race in a new un-official time of 50:45. He looked stong enough at the finish to make another lap. Gentleman Jack Lynch did a superb job in his single use only Fountain. The reason for the improved speeds this year was because the beaks were left on the boat.
An upset may have also occured just two boats back. Even though the smaller boats started 7 minutes ahead of the offshore/poker runners, an outboad was third back. After time correction for the start, it probably won't be third overall, but I'm sure a new class record or two.
Congratulations Todd, Jack and team...

Quality Time
06-26-2004, 10:48 AM
The beak makes a Fountain faster:confused:

RiverToysJas
06-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Quality Time
The beak makes a Fountain faster:confused:
LOL! Yeah, you didn't know that? :D
Great race! I thought there might have been a new record just looking at my watch. The conditions must have been smooth, because the small boats seemed to have come back quick!
RTJas :D

Quality Time
06-26-2004, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RiverToysJas
[B]LOL! Yeah, you didn't know that? :D
Gee and all this time I thought Reggie just added the beak so the boats were longer and could get more money for a smaller hull :eek: Silly me, I guess it was for speed.
For the record, I like Fountains, but from what I heard their coustomer service is a bit to be desired as well as the price of admission.:eek:

burtandnancy
06-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Quality time, now don't start that girly thing and change the subject. I don't want to read about your new washing machine instead of Catalina results. Yuk, yuk...

burtandnancy
06-26-2004, 06:50 PM
you know what they tell Fountain owners: pointy end to the front

dmontzsta
06-26-2004, 08:25 PM
any pics from today?

Duck
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Hats off to Todd and Jack. A 50 min is like running 4.49's all weekend at the drags. And an outboard taking 3rd is too cool.
Have a newish neighbor in LHC with a cut nose Fountain. Humm.

Quality Time
06-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
Quality time, now don't start that girly thing and change the subject. I don't want to read about your new washing machine instead of Catalina results. Yuk, yuk...
LOL My bad, How did Randy Davis do? How about Ron T?

burtandnancy
06-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Did not hear any of the Offical results from the awards last nite, but on the beach they say some of the leaders found a huge swell on the way back from the island and that Marty stepped off and that Todd was close to going down but saved it. Saw Ron T finish, but with so many classes, I don't know how well. Had to leave Long Beach about an hour after the finish, so not too many of the participants were ashore yet. I'm sure as the day goes along there will be lots of news. One possible result, the womans record MAY have been missed by seconds, but unconfirmed.

Quality Time
06-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Okay, Thanks for the update.
FYI saw a picture of your 40 at Ron's shop. Nice rig.

burtandnancy
06-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks. What would I have to say to you to put it in your garage?

Quality Time
06-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Take it, it's yours:D :D

Lake Pirate
06-27-2004, 08:43 PM
I have found the quality of my Fountain to be impeccable. No little things that drive you crazy. I had a seam coming loose on the rear seat in the cockpit when I first got it and they took it back and fixed it mucho pronto. The local dealer also stores it for free during the winter. What the heck is a beak?

River Lynchmob
06-28-2004, 07:59 AM
On the way back in the breakwater we hit the Catalina Express wake at about 70 (didn't see it...long story ask me about it sometime). alomst rolled the boat somehow Tood held on outside the wake with one hand got wrapped back up and we started going. Marty did make it over the Express wake as well, he fell on a random wake as hard as i've seen anyone go in in a long time. I was very suprised to see him get back up and still finish second.

burtandnancy
06-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanx Jack.
Lake Pirate, the story on the Fountains isn't a question on quality. Its just that in years past, up until this year, you had to cut about 8 inches off the beak of a 42 Fountain to get it to a legal 39 feet for the Catalina Ski Race (They measure the running surface).

River Lynchmob
06-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Actually you have to cut off 3 1/2 inches, which i think 8 people did. the part that most people didn't know is that the rub rail doesn't count, so we removed the rub rail and cut only the fiberglass so at first glance you can hardly notice it...but it is there.

bohica
06-29-2004, 02:15 PM
River Lynchmob,
Congrats. on the record and win.
I was standing next to a guy in Long Beach and he was trying to tell me that your Fountain is bone stock, one of the slowest boats in the field. I called bullshiat. So what motors do you have in that bad boy.:D

River Lynchmob
06-29-2004, 02:20 PM
it has 2 Mercury SC 900's that have been played with just a bit they are 557's dyno'd at 970 each. they are staggered hooked to non dry sumped #6's. top speed is about 103. it has a non stepped bottom.

Steamin' Rice
06-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by River Lynchmob
it has 2 Mercury SC 900's that have been played with just a bit they are 557's dyno'd at 970 each. they are staggered hooked to non dry sumped #6's. top speed is about 103. it has a non stepped bottom.
Sounds pretty stock to me.. :rolleyes:
Maybe he had your boat mixed up with the Terrible boat? Do they have stock power?

River Lynchmob
06-29-2004, 02:26 PM
well if you want to get technical a mercury sc 900 is stock from mercury :confused: i think!?

Steamin' Rice
06-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I wish my stock power was 900's with #6 drives.. :D :D

River Lynchmob
06-29-2004, 02:37 PM
the one thing that does suck about 900's is the clean up time is waaaay too long. flush the motors & intercoolers there's so many feet of lines in that damn thing... not complaning thats juts the one drawback.

RiverToysJas
06-29-2004, 02:55 PM
The Complete 2004 Results have been posted HERE! (http://www.catalinaskirace.com/2004/2004.mht)
Looks like my old buddy completed the course in 1:27! Not bad for a guy in his 40s!!!

River Lynchmob
06-29-2004, 03:31 PM
that's great congrats to him. its an accomplishment jsut to finish.

Jordy
06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
that's great congrats to him. its an accomplishment jsut to finish.
I think next year RTJas wants to enter, however his "ski" of choice would be a Tow-a-bull. :D :D :D

RiverToysJas
06-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I think next year RTJas wants to enter, however his "ski" of choice would be a Tow-a-bull. :D :D :D
That's already in the works! ;) :D

77charger
06-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
That's already in the works! ;) :D
RTJas :D :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
06-29-2004, 07:35 PM
That's already in the works!
Got a boat yet?

RiverToysJas
06-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Got a boat yet?
I don't know, do I??? ;) LOL

Little Wood Boat
06-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Hey kid! Time to step back up to the plate and give credit where it is truly due! If you don't mention that your dad and Carson Brummett are the best of friends and he does ALL your work, and he makes that boat go...then, well then it'll just be obvious to those who know you that you're just a poser. The others will catch on in time!

Havasu Hangin'
06-29-2004, 07:43 PM
I don't know, do I
Sure...I left the ski pylon and intercom in just for your world record attempt.
Just don't fall off....
...I may spill my beverage if I have to turn around! :eek:

Bling Bling
06-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Little Wood Boat
Hey kid! Time to step back up to the plate and give credit where it is truly due! If you don't mention that your dad and Carson Brummett are the best of friends and he does ALL your work, and he makes that boat go...then, well then it'll just be obvious to those who know you that you're just a poser. The others will catch on in time! I second that. They must be best friends, I heard the dingy was sent out for Carson to fix a problem the day before the race, and he jumped right on it. He would never do that for me. BTW, I also hear super dad bench press more weight then guys half his age at a meet a while back, congrats.

River Lynchmob
06-30-2004, 08:56 AM
I've mentioned Carson on these boards more times than i can count. I never claimed that i did any work other than rode in the boat. They have been friends since Carson was way young, my dad used to deal with Lou for all of his boating needs.
The dingy did find him and he did go right to wrok to fix as he said an imaginary problem. Thats the second time that he has done that real close to race time. Never has one of his motors failed and like i said before and will say many more times there is no better engine builder than Carson period.
Yes my dad did do a bench press contest a couple of weeks ago and won it outright it's 50 and over divided into 5 weight classes. he was in the lowest class.

River Lynchmob
06-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey kid! Time to step back up to the plate and give credit where it is truly due! If you don't mention that your dad and Carson Brummett are the best of friends and he does ALL your work, and he makes that boat go...then, well then it'll just be obvious to those who know you that you're just a poser. The others will catch on in time!
Hey buddy the next time i want your opinion i'll give it to you ;)
Just curious what boat did you say that you were in?
At the end of the day poser or not i have my name next to 4 overall victories and the record. :D That's not cocky thats a fact.

RiverDave
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey buddy the next time i want your opinion i'll give it to you ;)
Just curious what boat did you say that you were in?
At the end of the day poser or not i have my name next to 4 overall victories and the record. :D That's not cocky thats a fact.
Well he's gotcha there Little wood boat.. How can he be a "poser" if he's out there doing it?
RD

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Maybe hes saying that Dad owns the boat and foots the bill with Carson doing all the work?Who knows and who cares.
Does Carson have a web site? Wonder how his prices compare to say Teague and GT or Pfaff on motor work?

Blingette
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Maybe hes saying that Dad owns the boat and foots the bill with Carson doing all the work?Who knows and who cares.
Does Carson have a web site? Wonder how his prices compare to say Teague and GT or Pfaff on motor work?

Blingette
06-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Does Carson have a web site? Wonder how his prices compare to say Teague and GT or Pfaff on motor work? Jrocket, Carson is comparable in price, but in the long run way cheaper. I run my stuff pretty hard, and in 6 years, only a valve train issue. A website, he doesn't even have call waiting. Riverlynchmob, just messing with you, your team owns the Catalina ski race, congrats again, team Brummett.

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Blingette
Jrocket, Carson is comparable in price, but in the long run way cheaper. I run my stuff pretty hard, and in 6 years, only a valve train issue. A website, he doesn't even have call waiting.
But do you ever break a nail on the sticks? Are you ever worried your skirt will get caught in a blower belt?

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 02:27 PM
But do you ever break a nail on the sticks? Are you ever worried your skirt will get caught in a blower belt?
I'm starting to think she's does all the driving too! LOL:D

Blingette
06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
But do you ever break a nail on the sticks? Are you ever worried your skirt will get caught in a blower belt? My skirts are to short to get caught in the blower belt.

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Jrocket, Carson is comparable in price, but in the long run way cheaper. I run my stuff pretty hard, and in 6 years, only a valve train issue. A website, he doesn't even have call waiting. Riverlynchmob, just messing with you, your team owns the Catalina ski race, congrats again, team Brummett.
How about a phone number?

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm starting to think she's does all the driving too! LOL:D
Nevermind the "skirt" comment...
...we now know who wears the pants in that family.
:eek:

Blingette
06-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Nevermind the "skirt" comment...
...we now know who wears the pants in that family.
:eek: Even if I break a nail at half throttle, I'm still way a head of those silly V bottom boats. Jrocket, 626-792-6410

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Even if I break a nail at half throttle, I'm still way a head of those silly V bottom boats.
Nice job keeping the husband in line...
...I hear he is a real mama's boy...so it probably isn't too difficult.

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Even if I break a nail at half throttle, I'm still way a head of those silly V bottom boats. Jrocket, 626-792-6410
LMAO...Cats rule!
Thanks for the number.

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2004, 03:36 PM
LMAO...Cats rule!
You too?
Don't make me come over there and puke in your new truck...

Little Wood Boat
06-30-2004, 04:13 PM
:p

RiverDave
06-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Yeah I caught it.. LOL
I however am not one of the suck asses you referred to in your post so atleast I got that going for me.. LOL :D
RD

Little Wood Boat
06-30-2004, 04:19 PM
You know Dave maybe so but maybe its not my place to educate anybody on anything!

River Lynchmob
06-30-2004, 04:19 PM
No web site the guy is way old school. his prices are very similar to those two guys but his speciality is EFI turbo motors, dont get me wrong we can build the shit out of anything hes second to no one and located in pasadena. feel free to pm me for any info.

RiverDave
06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
You know Dave maybe so but maybe its not place to educate anybody on anything!
Say it again.. only this time make sense.
Are you saying that it's not "my" place to educate anybody on anything?
Are are you saying this place is ot the place to educate anybody on anything?
RD

River Lynchmob
06-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Jrocket, Carson is comparable in price, but in the long run way cheaper. I run my stuff pretty hard, and in 6 years, only a valve train issue. A website, he doesn't even have call waiting. Riverlynchmob, just messing with you, your team owns the Catalina ski race, congrats again, team Brummett.
Thanks Blingette, no appologies necessary i have a great sense of humor just dont like to be disrespected. i can take a joke and deal one with best of them. lifes too short. thanks again.

River Lynchmob
06-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
forgot to ask , did anyone get some good pics from the race, either in a boat or from shore, please post if ya got 'em, because ***boat/ powerboat and all other boat mags won't do the race justice article wise or PICTURE wise !!!!
www.memoriesink.net
just follow the links

SCOPE
06-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Here's some pic's on the SCOPE site!!!!
http://www.scopeinfo.com/Photos/2004-Catalina-Ski-Race.htm

Blingette
06-30-2004, 06:27 PM
You too?
Don't make me come over there and puke in your new truck... Hey, It's Bling, I don't know how to log off and pull me up. I heard something about you having two beers and a half cocktail and pukin. Cat guys don't do it like that. Whats up Jrocket.

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey, It's Mrs. Bling, I don't know how to log off and pull me up.
Hey Mrs. Bling...where's Mr. King Poo Fling? I hear that guy holds his computer skills about as well as Three Gays Only holds his liquor.
Do you have him cleaning the bathtub with a leaf skimmer? I guess you must be keeping him barefoot (while wearing the little maid's outfit) and doing his chores these days...
I heard something about you having two beers and a half cocktail and pukin. Cat guys don't do it like that. Whats up Jrocket.
I know that jrocket is all too familiar with puke...so I was trying to talk at a 5 year old (cat-owner IQ) level.
You cat guys must be used to puke (it must be either the gel jobs or the rough ride).

Jrocket
07-01-2004, 07:26 AM
I heard something about you having two beers and a half cocktail and pukin. Cat guys don't do it like that. Whats up Jrocket.
Wasnt me.My 2 year old daughter puked all over the back seat of my brand new truck,is what HH is flapping about.

Jrocket
07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Hey Mrs. Bling...where's Mr. King Poo Fling? I hear that guy holds his computer skills about as well as Three Gays Only holds his liquor.
Do you have him cleaning the bathtub with a leaf skimmer? I guess you must be keeping him barefoot (while wearing the little maid's outfit) and doing his chores these days...
I know that jrocket is all too familiar with puke...so I was trying to talk at a 5 year old (cat-owner IQ) level.
You cat guys must be used to puke (it must be either the gel jobs or the rough ride).
Hey Bling,
Are you going to take that crap from a fishing boat captain.
No checkers on this gel job..;)

Blingette
07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey Bling,
Are you going to take that crap from a fishing boat captain.
No checkers on this gel job..;) HH has a checker paint job, ouch, now I know why he's so defensive about puke, everytime he sees his paint scheme it reminds him of it. Checkers and half blowers go together, maybe put a keel and a sail on your chine walker, sounds like that's right up your alley.

Havasu Hangin'
07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
HH has a checker paint job, ouch, now I know why he's so defensive about puke, everytime he sees his paint scheme it reminds him of it. Checkers and half blowers go together, maybe put a keel and a sail on your chine walker, sounds like that's right up your alley.
Blingette-
Now I know that you are the King Poo Fling...for two reasons:
1. You're quick- it only took you days to respond (obviously straining the few brain cells you have left)
2. You're smart- my 3 year old is smart enough to use the "logout" button...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/images/top_logout.gif
...and only a cat owner would have trouble where a three year old doesn't. Maybe you need to test the chemicals in your drinking water...instead of your pool.
As far as checkers...the only thing checkered is my past. Speaking of graphics...the Nor-Tech paint looks as good as the day you brushed it on!
:eek!:

Three Days Only
07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
I hear that guy holds his computer skills about as well as Three Gays Only holds his liquor.
Hold up wait a minute, how did I get involved in this pissing match. Here I am trying to stay out of this crap, and bingo.
Blings computer skills suck, saying the he holds his computer skills as will as I hold my liquor would be a compliment for him. Lets rephrase this. Blings computer skills suck, but Three Gays Only sure can hold his liquor like the big dog M'er F'er he is.
Us East Coast guys are suppose to stick together. Lets paint the real picture, It might be a Cig, but its still a V bottom.
I still got a bottle for you sucker!!!!!

Jrocket
07-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
It might be a Cig, but its still a V bottom.
:D

Havasu Hangin'
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
Us East Coast guys are suppose to stick together. Lets paint the real picture, It might be a Cig, but its still a V bottom.
Yes...it's an EAST COAST V-bottom.
But let's face it...all those East Coast cats are just Cigs that they cut in half and splashed anyway...
:eek:

Blingette
07-01-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes...it's an EAST COAST V-bottom.
But let's face it...all those East Coast cats are just Cigs that they cut in half and splashed anyway...
:eek: Even if that were true, at least we have a hull type that's efficent, nice to look at, and does something besides make a bunch of noise and goes no where.