PDA

View Full Version : C1500, (not HD) Crew Cab

CBLavey
06-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Has anyone had any towing experience with one of these? The deals are currently so good that I'm considering selling my Toyota Tundra. Power Chevy in Irvine currently is discounting them $5100 off MSRP plus rebates that amount to $3000. The Toyota is a great truck and tows well but it just doesn't have the interior space...

OutCole'd
06-26-2004, 08:14 PM
What are you towing? What power does it come with, 5.3?

CBLavey
06-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Lavey 21XTSki; the truck is only available with the 5.3, 3.73:1 gears in 2WD and it's rated to tow 7500lbs.

OutCole'd
06-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I would think it would be fine. I had a 5.3 in a 01 with the ex cab. and it towed my 22.5 Cole like it was nothing. Great mileage also with that motor. I'd say go for it.

FRENCHIE
06-27-2004, 04:07 PM
should do the job ok!!;)

cc322
06-27-2004, 05:47 PM
CB you bought the right boat and now you wanna buy a cheby j/k. I think it would be ok, better then the tundra .My next truck will be the f-250 crew cab I currently have a expediton and would love to have a truck again, good luck

goneboatin
06-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Make sure you check out the Chevy with the Quadrasteer. When it was first offered it was like six grand, now the option is down to about $1800. If you drive one, make sure you take into a parking lot. Try it in 4-wheel steer then try it in 2-wheel. You'll find that you never knew how you survived without it. It rocks! Just put some 20s on it so it doesn't look like an old man's truck. Don't knock it 'till you try it.
Just my $.02

HotHallet
06-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Those new crew cab silverados are very nice. I just cannot believe how much money they are. I was with my boss the other day dropping his truck off for some service and I wandered the lot looking at them and for a 2wd crew cab silverado with the 5.3 and leather and all the bells and whistles the sticker was like 37,900. Suddenly my lifted '95 Chevy extended cab looked more appealing! For that price you might as well get an HD. I think right now they are so much because they are hot. People like the idea of the soft ride of the 1/2-ton with room of the crew cab. I would wait and buy one when they have died down in popularity a little.

CustomCruiser
06-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by HotHallet
...People like the idea of the soft ride of the 1/2-ton with room of the crew cab. I would wait and buy one when they have died down in popularity a little.
Ford has recognized this for several years now. The F150 Crew Cab has always been priced just under the Super Duty. I doubt the invoice price on the Chevys will decrease any time soon.

HotHallet
06-30-2004, 12:43 PM
CB Lavey-If you sell you Tundra let me know. I may be interested. What color ext. and int. Options? does it have.

CBLavey
06-30-2004, 08:39 PM
It's white, tan interior w/bench seat. Tow package, alloys, etc. Also has Line-X and a Tonneau. Xlnt condition. Goes in the Truck Trader next week. PM me if you're interested.:cool:

sweet41k
07-08-2004, 07:19 AM
As far as towing goes, they tow fine up to around 7000lbs.. They are the same frame and wheelbase as the ex-cab model, but with a little longer cab and shorter bed. I tow my 22ft daycruiser with ease and my 24ft toyhauler travel trailer (7000 lbs. loaded) all over the western US with no problem. The big difference between the HD truck (6.0 V8) and the LD crew cab (5.3 V8) is the fuel mileage you'll get. Most guys with the HD's get around 12mpg empty/not towing. The LD's get around 15mpg. AS far as the power to tow goes, the 5.3 has plenty. They are not a torquey motor like the old 5.7 V8. The 5.3 likes the rpm's to pull hard, but they are so smooth even at 4500 rpm. If you opt for the 4wd version you can get 4.11 gears, but I chose the 3.73. I get about 17-18 on the highway empty. I like the 4wd version when pulling a trailer in a slippery spot or steep terrain. As far as the quadrasteer goes, they are neat to drive. I'm not quite sure yet that I would buy one for a couple more years. Chevys have a very good turning radius as it is.
Steve

CBLavey
07-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Sweet...Thanks for the info. My Toyota is in the Truck Trader today and I'll be looking for the 1500. I know that the 5.3L is a sweet motor - my wife drives a 2001 Suburban, but I just needed some more info. The Toyota is an awesome truck and actually pulls our boat better than the Suburban, but it's a little short on room. Thanks again for the advice...l :cool:

CBLavey
07-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by cc322
CB you bought the right boat and now you wanna buy a cheby j/k. I think it would be ok, better then the tundra .My next truck will be the f-250 crew cab I currently have a expediton and would love to have a truck again, good luck
CC how's that 24? What motor did you end up with? I respect a Lavey owners opinion but I'm really a Chevy guy. My brother has owned two Power Strokes which have both been great vehicles - very powerful, decent mileage, but they've both been plagued with problems.
I'll be on Mojave the next two weekends if you're out. Look for blue and grey flames..., :cool: :cool: :cool:

cc322
07-14-2004, 06:11 PM
CB I went with the ho:D so far I love the boat . I have had it out alot latley, very happy with it. I wish I would have gone with some trim tabs, but maybe in the winter. Are you going to the regatta? we allready booked our room we are always out in havasu let me know if you are ever thier ttl

Uplink
07-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by CBLavey
Has anyone had any towing experience with one of these? The deals are currently so good that I'm considering selling my Toyota Tundra. Power Chevy in Irvine currently is discounting them $5100 off MSRP plus rebates that amount to $3000. The Toyota is a great truck and tows well but it just doesn't have the interior space...
CB, I have that truck and the 21xtski, and it tows great. Mine is the GMC Sierra 1500, Crew 4WD, I ordered the 4.10 gears. I love the truck, its about time they came out with these, better gas mileage, easier to park, and a smoother ride than the bigger trucks. The MSRP is high, but nobody pays anything close to that anyway, talk to the fleet manager. Good Luck, Mark

K9Blitz
07-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I was impressed. I drove the Z71 1500 crew.
I have a Tahoe with 295's and a 6" lift with the 5.3. Tows my 24' Essex well.
The only suggestion I have is to order one and get the 4.10 rear end gears. It is available, so don't let the salesperson talk you out of it so they can move a truck that's on the lot. The 4.10 gears won't make that 5.3 motor work as hard towing your boat.

CBLavey
07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by cc322
CB I went with the ho:D so far I love the boat . I have had it out alot latley, very happy with it. I wish I would have gone with some trim tabs, but maybe in the winter. Are you going to the regatta? we allready booked our room we are always out in havasu let me know if you are ever thier ttl
CC, we won't be going to the regatta - it's our anniversary that weekend. Thanks for the invite down to Havasu, we usually boat on Mojave but if we're ever heading down, I'll give you a call. Does the boat really need tabs??? //....:cool:

cc322
07-21-2004, 07:22 PM
IMO all boat 's would bennifit with trim tab's I wasent sold on them until I put them on my old boat, and the guy told me that once you have them you will always want them on every boat you own. he is right. They just add so much to the way the boat handles, if you never had them you will not no what I mean, some builders say our boats dont need them, maybe they dont NEED them BUT it will inhance the ride like you would not believe, I will be getting some over the winter, just wish I would have done it when I was buying the boat.

cc322
07-21-2004, 07:24 PM
CB.......have a great anniversary, we just made our ten year:D ttl

CBLavey
07-21-2004, 09:24 PM
CC congrats on 10, this will be our 11th and it would be my last if I suggested to my lovely wife that we spend it at the regatta... I know what you mean about the tabs, I've used them extensively on two different 24' Skipjacks - big heavy saltwater boats that can really benefit from being able to plane at slow speed.
Does your 24 have much bow rise? My 21 doesn't but that might be because of its balance with the 6.2..:D :D

cc322
07-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Yes I have some bow rise, but tabs will help that. It's a great boat very solid we will be happy with it for a long time, at least that's what my wife told me:wink: