PDA

View Full Version : Site 6 news

hd&boatrider
06-28-2004, 09:18 PM
City to restrict access at Site Six
By Brian Wedemeyer
Monday, June 28, 2004 10:14 PM MDT
Lake Havasu City has taken steps intended to limit the amount of spectators at Site Six over Fourth of July weekend.
The free launch ramp on the east side of the Island has become a source of entertainment for some people on busy summer weekends. A crowd typically gathers in the late afternoon and early evening to watch people retrieve their boats from the water.
However, Site Six has become an area of concern recently because of potential carbon monoxide poisoning.
Removable posts were installed across a large paved area adjacent to the boat ramp in hopes of restricting access by golf cart. Many of the spectators arrive in golf carts from nearby RV parks, said Charlie Cassens, city spokesman. People will be allowed to walk through the barricade.
"People using the launch ramp to retrieve their boats certainly aren't at as much risk as the people who linger down there for an extended period of time," Cassens said. "I don't know if this removable barricade is the final solution, but that's what will be up for Fourth of July weekend."
In addition, two air quality devices will be in place at Site Six to monitor carbon monoxide levels throughout the weekend.
A public advisory system to warn boaters about potential carbon monoxide poisoning at Bridgewater Channel is expected to continue throughout the summer. Elevated levels resulted in two temporary closures over Memorial Day weekend.
You may contact the reporter at bwedemeyer@havasunews.com

Kachina26
06-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Thank God some one is out to protect me, I have spectated once or twice when the rest of the ramps were closed. I sure hope I didn't suffer too much damage.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 07:39 AM
From what I understand they are using the CO issue as a way to cur the spectators when they really want to prevent the peope from watching because too many fights are breaking out.

Kachina26
06-29-2004, 07:51 AM
I hear that happens from time to time, I have only sat and watched twice. Never saw any fights, but I can see how it could happen.