PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Stages 1 & 2?

MASTERKENDOG
06-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Has anyone upgraded to the Whipple Stage 1 or Stage 2 performance packages? Per their website:
"Stage 2 $995
The Whipple stage 2 maximizes the power output of the stock engine by running 91 octane or better, increasing the maximum spark advance, increased ignition power from the individual coils, denser air charge from the low temp thermostat, maximized air-fuel ratio in each individual cylinder and increased air flow from the hi-flow filter. Calibration increases torque levels throughout the entire rpm curve while making more peak hp for increased speeds.
Key features:
• Hi-performance ECM calibration
• Low-temp thermostat
• Hi-flow K&N filter
• 5450 RPM limit
• 8% - 10% power increase over stock
• Increased plaining ability with increased torque output
Stage 3 $4595
While Stage 2 gets peak power from the stock engine, Stage 3 combines power and looks together for a very unique package. After extensive testing, Whipple found the CMI E-Tops to produce the best power curves for the 496 engines. To go along with the stainless headers, Stage 3 incorporates a custom stainless engine cover to really dress the package up. Whipple then engineered a custom Stage 3 calibration that increases the maximum spark advance, ignition power from the individual coils, denser air charge from the low temp thermostat, maximized air-fuel ratio in each individual cylinder and increased air flow from the hi-flow filter. Calibration increases torque levels throughout the entire rpm curve while making more peak hp for increased speeds.
Key features:
• Hi-performance ECM calibration
• Low-temp thermostat
• Hi-flow, custom billet flame arrestor
• Polished stainless steel engine cover
• Polished stainless steel CMI Platinum E-Tops
• 5450 RPM limit
• 12% - 15% power increase over stock
• Over 40 foot pounds of torque over stock at 3500 RPM"
Anyone? Appreciate any feedback!
I put this in the Gear head section too.
MKD

Chris Winn
06-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Hello,
i take tit that you are looking at this kit for the 496, check out this site:
www.raylarengine.com
they have the best kit i have heard of to this date for the 496
best regards,
Chris

MASTERKENDOG
06-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Bump!

MASTERKENDOG
06-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks Chris, I have checked out their website.

Chris Winn
06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
hello,
i talked to ray today, he is a great guy to talk to, he said that their package (heads, intake and cam) was worth 550hp and 620TQ and has the dyno sheet with a very safe air fuel ratio to back it up (i think13.4:1).
i am going to try this kit out around the beginning of August and see how i like it. ray has been very honest and i feel that his kit has some real promise (i will polish the upper intake) plus he has more fun on the way (forged pistons with a whipple @ 850hp)
i would look at this kit 1st

dicudmore
06-30-2004, 06:11 PM
hope it works out for you. very curious to see some results.
after the house sells, its time to up the HP :D

Chris Winn
06-30-2004, 06:16 PM
i will update everyone as to its progress, i am really looking forward to this!
we should try a group buy if more peeps are interested???

carreraboat
06-30-2004, 07:24 PM
hey dicudmore
what kinda speeds ya getin outta your setup
nice boat

Ivan Dan
06-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Chris Winn
i will update everyone as to its progress, i am really looking forward to this!
we should try a group buy if more peeps are interested???
I'm very interested but I was kinda leaning towards the Whipple Charger kit. Can't wait to see how it works out for you. I wonder what types of performance gains you will see? Did Ray give you any idea? 125 hp is quite a bit and I would imagine you will see 7-10 mph gain. What are you hoping for?

dicudmore
06-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by carreraboat
hey dicudmore
what kinda speeds ya getin outta your setup
nice boat
thank you...
65 ish
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6385mohave_021-med.jpg

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Well.....
I've posted this message so many times now......Since 2002, that I save it for occasions like this.
I was the proud owner of the first Whipple Charged 496 MAG HO.
I is the one in the Whipple magazine add. The motor was installed in my Advantage 27' Victory.
The stock motor dyno tested at 420 HP and after the blower install, it dyno tested at a little over 620HP.
The additional 200HP got me 13 MPH, with 6 lbs of boost. I was running a 22P prop and went up to a 26P Bravo I. I went from 62 to 75 MPH on my big-heavy "V".
The boat ran at 75 MPH on GPS @ 5,200 RPM with 50Gal of fuel and 4 people. I have calculated that I am getting about 1.3 MPG.
I had about 70 hours on the motor prior to adding the Whipple and have put on about 70 more with the Whipple. Not only was I happy with the 13 MPH gain, but the hole shot was incredible. This boat now has a completely different personality.
It was a pleasure working with Art, Dustin & everyone at Whipple. This project was a lot of hard work and the end result is a great product. The customer service at Whipple is second to none.
I have since sold that motor and built a Whippled 565 @ 875 HP. The additional 250HP now took me up to 87 MPH on GPS.
Well.......Thats the story.......Hope it helps!!!!!
CJG