PDA

View Full Version : Sandar incident-how to complete the matter

BoatPI
06-30-2004, 05:50 AM
They way to do this properly.
This is way more serious than a sucker punch.
A wise person makes a police report, the District Attorney reviews the police investigation and files charges if warranted.
No matter what occurs from that point on you use the police investigation as a foundation to file a civil suit against all involved. Anyone who is a homeowner generally has their homeowners insurance company defend them as this would most likely land on the liablity portion of the policy.
The standard needed in a civil trial is preponderance of the evidence ie: 50% of the proof shows they did it plus the weight of a feather. Not proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
You do everything by the book so it will not come back to bite you later. Document everything, photograph everything, get continual medical examinations, serious injuries mean $$$ in the ned. And in the end they will pay, even if it is for the rest of their life.

JetBoatRich
06-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Looks like good advise:( not always what people want to hear when their emotions get going.
It would be nice to read, where these jerks some how pay for what they did:mad:

BigBoyToys
06-30-2004, 07:08 AM
Hey BoatPI, do you have access to various PI Databases (Public Records) like lotsa PI's have? If so, is there a way to check for scheduled weddings in Carmel, CA this weekend? Most likely Sunday, July 4th?????? I have been looking into the idea of becoming a PI (High Tech arena) and am aware of a few databases, but am not enrolled with the various companies and don't have access. Maybe you do??

ratso
06-30-2004, 07:09 AM
One thing Boat PI left out is don't even defend yourself and let them kick your ever-lovin' ass, or else you might get "railroaded" by the cops and the DA and the attorneys. You see, I'm in the same situation except the "scumbag" in this case is suing me. After all this I'll probably be out of about of around $20,000 to $50,000 just to defend myself, and hopefully we'll do a good job of it, or else as BoatPI puts it, I'll pay, even if it's for the rest of my life. All I can say is if you have a "vigilante" attitude about this...don't get caught.

roostwear
06-30-2004, 07:19 AM
While it would probably go down like that in a perfect world, the reality (unfortunately) is that the DA will ask why a police report wasn't requested immediately. Next, why (in an open area with as many people in the area) did nobody else see this? The defendants will say that: 1) They weren't here, 2) Prove it, 3) They were the "victims", and only defending themselves.
It comes down to a finger pointing match, and unless the punks have priors for assault (probably wouldn't be admissable anyhow), then the DA will dismiss it for lack of evidence.
That said, (I was playing devil's advocate for those that couldn't tell), I would do what BoatPI suggested. Personally, I would keep a real close eye on the proceedings, though. If/when the legal system lets you down, THEN consider other actions.

NuckinFutz
06-30-2004, 07:42 AM
The thing we as fellow boaters can do is assist in making sure a judge sees the seriousness of these ********crime. We need to be aware of court dates and for those able to make it to the trial, pack the courtroom and for those who cannot make it a letter to the DA and the judge demanding maximum sentences be imposed. I'm in for throwing some cash to the girls and their boyfriends to offset court expenses (missing work and such). This event needs to be publicized and the courts need to make a statement with these lowlifes that actions at the sandbar like this will not be tolerated. When court time comes I'm in for the first $100 to assure the victims can and will be to court.

HighRoller
06-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Has anyone made sure ***boat is aware of this situation? While they cannot go as far as naming specific details, they can outline the general event and raise awareness by speaking about it in the mag. This affects them too because we are their audience. Maybe even raise money to take out an ad in the magazine or something like that.

BoatPI
06-30-2004, 07:51 AM
If this occurred on the sandbar. i believe Mohave County Sheriff's Department would the the proper law enforcement agency to report the crime to. These are serious felonies, and need to be investigated immediately. ANY independent witnesses, those not having a family for paior connection to the victims, are extremly important to this investigation.
On that Carmel question..
Other than checking with the county clerks office, I do not have access to a marrage license online. I do have many records available, but there is at least a 30 day reporting delay. Should be public info stuff minus their addresses.

LaveyJet
06-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by BoatPI
If this occurred on the sandbar. i believe Mohave County Sheriff's Department would the the proper law enforcement agency to report the crime to.
Just curious why not California? San Bernardino County. I noticed that SB County was investigating the fatal accident that occurred on Lake Havasu last week and was wondering how jurisdiction is determined.

dc96819
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Good idea can they all be identified.

HM
06-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ratso
One thing Boat PI left out is don't even defend yourself and let them kick your ever-lovin' ass, or else you might get "railroaded" by the cops and the DA and the attorneys. You see, I'm in the same situation except the "scumbag" in this case is suing me. After all this I'll probably be out of about of around $20,000 to $50,000 just to defend myself, and hopefully we'll do a good job of it, or else as BoatPI puts it, I'll pay, even if it's for the rest of my life. All I can say is if you have a "vigilante" attitude about this...don't get caught.
Ratso, you just need to learn how to properly defend yourself and kick someone's ass that doesn't look like a brawl. Ever since my "bitchslappling event" 2 years ago, I have been training with an ultimate fiting champion on self defense using several disciplines. The proper way to defend yourself is to debilitate your aggressor without causing "External damage" to the face and torso. When you punch someone out, especially in the face, it looks like a "fight" and not someone defending themselves. Proper defense does much more damage and looks good in court.:cool:

ratso
06-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
Ratso, you just need to learn how to properly defend yourself and kick someone's ass that doesn't look like a brawl. Ever since my "bitchslappling event" 2 years ago, I have been training with an ultimate fiting champion on self defense using several disciplines. The proper way to defend yourself is to debilitate your aggressor without causing "External damage" to the face and torso. When you punch someone out, especially in the face, it looks like a "fight" and not someone defending themselves. Proper defense does much more damage and looks good in court.:cool:
I agree. I took years of self defense, but I also have had injuries over the years that limit me in some areas, mainly with a knee, an ankle, and a shoulder injury. When you are 5'10" at 200lbs, and he is 6'4" at 300lbs, things don't always go as "Choreographed." I've done the tournaments, the sparring, the training...believe it or not, sometimes bones break and sometimes you reach a little deeper to keep from getting killed yourself...