PDA

View Full Version : Fed raises .25 a point !!

carbonmarine
06-30-2004, 01:49 PM
This is great news ! ...I love Greenspan & Viva Bush !!!
They done it !! sparing of course any surprsies or shocks from our arab detractors...
*Guy's ( and Gal's) its almost time to really get back to work ..
Tell ya what, Homes & Home Finnacing will start to slow as we begin to correct over the next 3-4 quarters. Money will flow again to the equity markets.. This is proof the Fed Works !!
** Time to find your broker / portfolio manager's number again...
Corporate Earnings are coming back ! ! !
Rick32 :cool: :D :cool:

Mandelon
06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
So is now the time to dump real estate and get back into equities?

Lightning
06-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Actually, since the fed announced the rate increase, the 10 year note dropped from 4.70 to 4.58 - so you will actually see a drop in mortgage rates. It's always a good time to invest in real esate and equities;)

YW82DRM
06-30-2004, 02:07 PM
So Mr. Lightening would suggest that I build that new home that I am pondering? The only reason I ask is because I have been on the phone all day long with bank and the contruction people and the county all day but I haven't made my decision. Your opinion would be valued greatly because you aren't seeling me anything like these other people.
Senario: I bought property a year ago. It had a peice of shi$ on it to live in for the time being.... the shi% is falling apart... I have $100K in equit that I cannot use becasue of that peice of shit but if I knock it down I can get a lower interest rate than I am paying now...... AHHHH! Think I am loosing it:rolleyes:

Mandelon
06-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by YW82DRM
So Mr. Lightening would suggest that I build that new home that I am pondering? The only reason I ask is because I have been on the phone all day long with bank and the contruction people and the county all day but I haven't made my decision. Your opinion would be valued greatly because you aren't seeling me anything like these other people.
Senario: I bought property a year ago. It had a peice of shi$ on it to live in for the time being.... the shi% is falling apart... I have $100K in equit that I cannot use becasue of that peice of shit but if I knock it down I can get a lower interest rate than I am paying now...... AHHHH! Think I am loosing it:rolleyes:
Where is it located??? I say go for it.

Lightning
06-30-2004, 02:12 PM
If you plan on holding onto the house for the long term - ie: 7-10+ years - I would go for it. I think that we are going to see some leveling in housing prices in the short term as the rates are going to increase eventually and there will be less people in the market for homes. If you want a more detailed opinion, PM me your number and I can call you and give you some feedback.

YW82DRM
06-30-2004, 02:14 PM
In NorCal. The delima is I have some priorities that I was trying to accdomplish but I am afraid if I wait then intrest rates will rise and thus my new house will go from being an affordable 2400 sq ft to a barely affordable 1500 sq ft...... I am new at this whole real estate thing and I am just trying to be as educated as I can before making a final decision......
the appraiser said though once the house is built I will have about 150K plus in equity.... DO I hear refi??? DO I hear NEW BOAT!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

YW82DRM
06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Good lord could my typing be any more terrible?:(

NorCal Gameshow
06-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Where is it at?? you already own it ...?
those are important questions...get a real feel for the market..check out open houses. you might want to sell and buy something already done...ask builders about leaving a wall or two up to save in the permit process...have fun :D

Essex502
08-06-2004, 07:21 AM
This is great news ! ...I love Greenspan & Viva Bush !!!
They done it !! sparing of course any surprsies or shocks from our arab detractors...
*Guy's ( and Gal's) its almost time to really get back to work ..
Tell ya what, Homes & Home Finnacing will start to slow as we begin to correct over the next 3-4 quarters. Money will flow again to the equity markets.. This is proof the Fed Works !!
** Time to find your broker / portfolio manager's number again...
Corporate Earnings are coming back ! ! !
Rick32 :cool: :D :cool:
Let's look at what's happened in the ensuing 30 days or so...
"Between the soft economy in June and all of the various question marks on the horizon -- the election, terrorism threats, energy prices, etc. -- businesses have just decided to rein in their horns again for a little while until some of the clouds dissipate. This story is beginning to resonate with us, and suggests that the soft patch seen in June may be with us, though perhaps to a lesser degree for spending and production, for a few months," said Steve Stanley, chief economist at RBS Greenwich Capital Markets
"A terribly disappointing report," said Joshua Shapiro, chief economist for MFR.
It was not good news for the White House in an election year. President Bush has been touting his successes as an economic leader, while challenger John Kerry has argued that the benefits of growth have not been widely distributed.
"It now looks like the rate of employment growth is slowing down, just when it should be taking off," said Ken McCarthy, chief economist at vFinance Investments.
Implications for the Fed
The report also could have important implications for monetary policy.
Most economists said the Federal Open Market Committee will still raise interest rates a quarter-point to 1.5 percent at its meeting Tuesday, but there is new doubt about the pace of rate increases later in the year.
Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan said last month he believed June's weakness was just a temporary soft patch.
Excerpts from CBS MarketWatch.com Referring to today's unemployment report.
Also, since the Fed rate increase the Dow Jones Industrial average has drop 450 points. That’s about 4% but what’s even worse is the beating the the Nasdaq has taken – losing over 10%.
Gasoline prices are high. Oil price is setting records (not adjusted for inflation).
Hell even Wal-Mart disappointed analysts with their forecast for slowing.
Time to call my broker? I don’t think so. Bush and the Fed? Right.

bigq
08-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Let's look at what's happened in the ensuing 30 days or so...
"Between the soft economy in June and all of the various question marks on the horizon -- the election, terrorism threats, energy prices, etc. -- businesses have just decided to rein in their horns again for a little while until some of the clouds dissipate. This story is beginning to resonate with us, and suggests that the soft patch seen in June may be with us, though perhaps to a lesser degree for spending and production, for a few months," said Steve Stanley, chief economist at RBS Greenwich Capital Markets
"A terribly disappointing report," said Joshua Shapiro, chief economist for MFR.
It was not good news for the White House in an election year. President Bush has been touting his successes as an economic leader, while challenger John Kerry has argued that the benefits of growth have not been widely distributed.
"It now looks like the rate of employment growth is slowing down, just when it should be taking off," said Ken McCarthy, chief economist at vFinance Investments.
Implications for the Fed
The report also could have important implications for monetary policy.
Most economists said the Federal Open Market Committee will still raise interest rates a quarter-point to 1.5 percent at its meeting Tuesday, but there is new doubt about the pace of rate increases later in the year.
Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan said last month he believed June's weakness was just a temporary soft patch.
Excerpts from CBS MarketWatch.com Referring to today's unemployment report.
Also, since the Fed rate increase the Dow Jones Industrial average has drop 450 points. That’s about 4% but what’s even worse is the beating the the Nasdaq has taken – losing over 10%.
Gasoline prices are high. Oil price is setting records (not adjusted for inflation).
Hell even Wal-Mart disappointed analysts with their forecast for slowing.
Time to call my broker? I don’t think so. Bush and the Fed? Right.
Same here, I don't think it will pick up much till after the election in November. After summer the demand for fuel usually slows which will drop oil prices and as the election is done the tension of a terror threat will lessen. I will be waiting for the stock purchases thank you. One positive is the factory orders were up.

Debbolas
08-06-2004, 08:04 AM
So you think that home prices will stabilize soon?

Essex502
08-06-2004, 08:41 AM
So you think that home prices will stabilize soon?
Nope! I think the housing market - at least in California - will slowly level off and some correction may occur down the road a bit.

Debbolas
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
In our area the home prices have been steadly increasing. Our house has gone up in value, as well as the one we sold to get this one. We couldn't afford to live here, if we had to buy this house today!
Debbolas<-----------hates moving! :D

Essex502
08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
In our area the home prices have been steadly increasing. Our house has gone up in value, as well as the one we sold to get this one. We couldn't afford to live here, if we had to buy this house today!
Debbolas<-----------hates moving! :D
Then smile and think of the money you're making! :D

Debbolas
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Then smile and think of the money you're making! :D
It is unusual for us. We bought a house in Fontana at the "height" of the market and watched it lose $30,000 in a few years. In our neighborhood there was at least 2 forclosures per block. I am glad that area has gone up in value.....just wondering how high and how long. :cool:

welk2party
08-06-2004, 11:33 AM
As long as you can afford the house you live in and have no desire to move anytime in the near future you should all be OK. Real Estate will almost always come back in time.

Essex502
08-06-2004, 11:33 AM
It is unusual for us. We bought a house in Fontana at the "height" of the market and watched it lose $30,000 in a few years. In our neighborhood there was at least 2 forclosures per block. I am glad that area has gone up in value.....just wondering how high and how long. :cool:
Just relax and enjoy the surge. Unless you're planning to move any time soon I'd not worry about it.