PDA

View Full Version : Big motor or big stereo?

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Im thinking big motor and normal stereo.Im leaning towards fast boat right now.:D

JetBoatRich
06-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Sure nice to go fast and have decent stereo when you are parked;)

XtrmWakeborder
06-30-2004, 09:02 PM
id say big motor, im all about go before show..even though my boat has neither lol

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Seems like when eveyone is tied up or gathered around you can only have one big stereo running anyway.So I'd rather have a big HP motor instead.

Ivan Dan
06-30-2004, 09:11 PM
There is one problem with comparing these two things......
Going fast cost A LOT more than a loud stereo. If you spent $5000-$7000 on a stereo it would be sick loud. What would it cost you for the motor and speeds that you want? $20,000?$30,000? $40,000? If your spending this much on a big motor whats an extra $5000 on a stereo?

77charger
06-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Seems like when eveyone is tied up or gathered around you can only have one big stereo running anyway.So I'd rather have a big HP motor instead. Remember always someone LOUDER AND FASTER.I myself chose the small mouse motor and decent stereo in my current boat i hear it even has auto pilot.I have acces to a quick and fast boat if needed:D :D

XtrmWakeborder
06-30-2004, 09:13 PM
exactly, what are yah going to put the big motor in?

boatnam2
06-30-2004, 09:14 PM
big motor all the way!question is do you have the big wallet to handle the big drive destruction.i just dont understand the huge stereo deal like you say every where you go you have 10 guys trying to out blast each other.you blast it while your driving but now you cant hear your big motor.kids play all kinda of funky shit music on it so you want to turn it off anyways.always worried about your batteries but not if you have 10 of them,but then you need a big motor to haul around all your lead.i remember i use to love to crank my stereo up i think i was 12.

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
big motor all the way!question is do you have the big wallet to handle the big drive destruction.i just dont understand the huge stereo deal like you say every where you go you have 10 guys trying to out blast each other.you blast it while your driving but now you cant hear your big motor.kids play all kinda of funky shit music on it so you want to turn it off anyways.always worried about your batteries but not if you have 10 of them,but then you need a big motor to haul around all your lead.i remember i use to love to crank my stereo up i think i was 12.
Your thinking the same as me Jim.Nowadays I cant figure what the hell theyre listening too.Im not a big crowds kind of person anyways,so Id rather have some big motor work than stereo.

Hal
06-30-2004, 09:22 PM
My sentiments exactly.:)

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Ivan Dan,
Money isnt so much the object its what would you want? A $7K stereo over and above the price for big HP is nothing.Im just curious where everyones inertests are.
I myself would rather put the stereo money towards an investment and spend what I could on going fast.

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by XtrmWakeborder
exactly, what are yah going to put the big motor in?
DCB Mach26

Ivan Dan
06-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Ivan Dan,
Money isnt so much the object its what would you want? A $7K stereo over and above the price for big HP is nothing.Im just curious where everyones inertests are.
I myself would rather put the stereo money towards an investment and spend what I could on going fast.
So then you do a mild stereo and spend the extra cash towards a blower setup. Different strokes for different folks!

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
So then you do a mild stereo and spend the extra cash towards a blower setup. Different strokes for different folks!
Yep your right and Im thinking 600cu inches of different strokes! LOL
Plus I have a descent system already,and a real close friend that will put in what ever I want for a stereo.Too much weight tho..LMAO:D

Ivan Dan
06-30-2004, 09:45 PM
WOW 600 cu inches huh?!?!? Naturally Apsirated? Weren't you talking about selling this thing a few months ago because insurance was too high?

Hustler
06-30-2004, 09:55 PM
If you do the big motor I think you will be way ahead of the game, plus to get one of those bumbity bump 909 stereo's it should only cost you about 50 bucks from the swap meet:p :D

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
If you do the big motor I think you will be way ahead of the game, plus to get one of those bumbity bump 909 stereo's it should only cost you about 50 bucks from the swap meet:p :D
Oh the Evergreen amps like you had in your mini truck? Quit being a bitch and get back to the 909 where you belong Joey!LOL:D We miss ya.
Yep I was going to sell it awhile back.Dave at DCB talked me out of it.Im still getting ideas on the motor.maybe 600 plus cu inches or 580 plus Whipple or maybe sell it and buy a pontoon.You know just thinking..:D

MagicMtnDan
06-30-2004, 10:23 PM
You could always use a big stereo to play the recorded sound of a big motor so everyone would think you've got something big under the lid :D
Go for the motor. Once you have that you can always find the cash later for the tunes.

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
You could always use a big stereo to play the recorded sound of a big motor so everyone would think you've got something big under the lid :D
Go for the motor. Once you have that you can always find the cash later for the tunes.
I'm not short on funds,just dont want any extra weight in the boat.Might even take the ice chest out and run Jack-n-cokes only.Beer cans weigh too much...:D

hd&boatrider
06-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi, I am hd&boatriders son. To your ? personaly I beleive you should get all you need out of your boat. Make a check list of what your boat must have. Then balance it with your budget. If you run your boat all day a stereo isn't needed, but if you like your music it can be hell without it! A low cost, low weight stereo can be put together. Get a high watt sub or 2, and maybe 4 sets of 61/2's. 2 amps, 2 good batt. Staying comfortably below $1,200 inslalled and sounding crisper then a lot of these fools on the lake. If you decide on BIG stereo let me know I have a million ideas going to waste.

RiverToysJas
06-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Hi, I am hd&boatriders son. To your ? personaly I beleive you should get all you need out of your boat. Make a check list of what your boat must have. Then balance it with your budget. If you run your boat all day a stereo isn't needed, but if you like your music it can be hell without it! A low cost, low weight stereo can be put together. Get a high watt sub or 2, and maybe 4 sets of 61/2's. 2 amps, 2 good batt. Staying comfortably below $1,200 inslalled and sounding crisper then a lot of these fools on the lake. If you decide on BIG stereo let me know I have a million ideas going to waste.
Welcome to the boards Tom's Son! You make some good points!
I say - go big on the motor! Then later the stereo. The motor will eat up more money than the stereo anyway, unless you're REALLY going big. I'm not a fan of powering the party with my tunes though.
I'd like to go a little bigger in the stereo, but only so I can hear it better when running at moderate speeds.
RTJas :D

Tyson Ross
07-01-2004, 12:28 AM
I was able to do both!! Well, not really......Upgraded to 90hp and added an amp! :D Problem is I still ain't fast and still yet to be heard....:confused: Maybe if I buy the wife something nice I can get a larger allowance?

1stepcloser
07-01-2004, 06:14 AM
A fine balance of both.
(I'm terrible at making tough decisions)
:)

copperrat20
07-01-2004, 07:02 AM
I'm with 1stepcloser. I have the big motor and I have a big stereo. The motor of course for doing "50mph" and the stereo for parking action in the sand.

Bre
07-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Big Motor:p

Whipped Caliber
07-01-2004, 07:11 AM
BOTH
Go big or go home!!!:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
07-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Jrocket, you may find that your current boat, as it is, more than meets your needs if you get a penis implant.

copperrat20
07-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Jrocket, you may find that your current boat, as it is, more than meets your needs if you get a penis implant.
Speaking from experience are you?:eek!: :D

Jrocket
07-01-2004, 07:21 AM
LMAO..Very true.:D

Tom Brown
07-01-2004, 07:26 AM
Jrocket, I'm going to do something that goes against everything I believe in. I'm going to be serious for a moment.
Your boat... is your dream. Make it happen like you envision it and your heart will be happy.

Kim Hanson
07-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Big Motor, you won't hear the stereo! Wind noise and engine is all you need, parked the small stereo works just great.........( . )( . )......:)

riverbound
07-01-2004, 07:29 AM
you could easily have both. If its about wieght you can use different materials in the build to lighten things up. You also dont have to go with a lot of equipment to go loud just go with better quality equipment.

mbrown2
07-01-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Tyson Ross
I was able to do both!! Well, not really......Upgraded to 90hp and added an amp! :D Problem is I still ain't fast and still yet to be heard....:confused: Maybe if I buy the wife something nice I can get a larger allowance?
90HP, dam, you been sand baggin all this time....
JRocket, I say big motor.....

TIBURON
07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
No Brainer!!!
BIG MOTOR DUDE!!!
If you get it to run right, then throw a stereo in it..:D

Nubbs
07-01-2004, 07:35 AM
There is no replacement for displacement.:D

Tom Brown
07-01-2004, 07:36 AM
A stitch in time saves nine.

Dave C
07-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Motor! Once you have a stereo that sounds good, why bother with more?
I have a stereo that uses two amps each pulling less than 30 amps. It sounds very good in my boat and maybe the two next to me and I can hear it at speed. It has XM and 2 sets of good compenents and 2 subs.
The nice thing is that the amps can run for 5 hours on one Optima. (I have a spare too)
It cost $2,000 which is great for the quality.
Don't get me wrong, I still love those big-ole moving speakers, which are great for getting the chicas to shake their money makers!:D

Froggystyle
07-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Im thinking big motor and normal stereo.Im leaning towards fast boat right now.:D
I think you should get both, and I think they should come with the boat... :D
But, I am biased...

superdave013
07-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Yep your right and Im thinking 600cu inches of different strokes! LOL
Plus I have a descent system already,and a real close friend that will put in what ever I want for a stereo.Too much weight tho..LMAO:D
I'm with the toooooooo much weight. I would rather have that weight in intercoolers myself. ;)

jackpunx
07-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Bre
Big Motor:p
with my boat.. I started with the motor.. then added some nice tunes.. But Its always more important that my boat is running hard then sounding good at the sandbar.. There is always someone out there with the tunes on when we pull up.. so... the only time I ever use my stereo is when we are floating alone.. its sounds great until I turn my motor on. then all the base goes away..
Pesonaly.. I would rather hear the motor anyway... :D

RiverDave
07-01-2004, 08:49 AM
A stitch in time saves nine.
LOL... :D
RD

sorry dog
07-01-2004, 08:51 AM
I say two little motors. :D

jackpunx
07-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Plus most of the time were sitting next to someone like Shadow or RD .. and it just dosnt make sense to try to do that to "my" boat.. for those of you that have heard those systems.. you know what I mean..:D

nodigg
07-01-2004, 09:15 AM
First you put in a decent starter motor. Then you add some stereo equipment 'cause you can't hear it good enough at speed. Then you have to add some horsepower cause you get bored. Then you add some stereo batteries because you want to be able to play longer. Then you have to add some more h.p. to compensate for the extra weight. Then you bump your stereo a little more cause you realize the girls like to dance near big stereos. Then you have to add some horsepower to keep up with the boats the girls are riding on and to compensate for the extrea stereo equipent weight. Then after spending wads of cash, you get bored and start spending mo' money to get an extra 1-2 mph. At least that's how its been for me the past 6 years! Now how can I get another 1-2 mph??:D

TIBURON
07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by nodigg
First you put in a decent starter motor. Then you add some stereo equipment 'cause you can't hear it good enough at speed. Then you have to add some horsepower cause you get bored. Then you add some stereo batteries because you want to be able to play longer. Then you have to add some more h.p. to compensate for the extra weight. Then you bump your stereo a little more cause you realize the girls like to dance near big stereos. Then you have to add some horsepower to keep up with the boats the girls are riding on and to compensate for the extrea stereo equipent weight. Then after spending wads of cash, you get bored and start spending mo' money to get an extra 1-2 mph. At least that's how its been for me the past 6 years! Now how can I get another 1-2 mph??:D
DUDE!!
I couldn't have said it better myself.
:D :D :D :D

nodigg
07-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Did I see that motor in the channel yesterday??

Essex502
07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
You can always listen to the folks next to you. Big motor.
"Go" not "Show".