PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong

superdave013
07-02-2004, 07:15 PM
do you think he can do it??
I hope so.

intense
07-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Would be real sweet if he could, I hope so!

Havasu Hangin'
07-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Other than his first Tour...I think this one will be his toughest.
I agree...it would be nice to see him do it.

fat rat
07-02-2004, 07:21 PM
He's increditable........just show what you can do.

Ziggy
07-02-2004, 07:56 PM
It'll be tough but I'd love nothing more than to see him take it. Show all them jealous people the finger in their own backyard:D

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 09:30 PM
I hope he can do it. He's got the heart and determination.

Tom Brown
07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
In my view, Lance has already done it. If he takes it this year, it will be the continuation of a legend but the phenomenon that is bouying the spirit and motivation of every cancer patient on the planet is already happening in a huge way.
Much, much respect for Lance. He is a hero to me. :cool:
Go Lance! :)

CA Stu
07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
You gotta admire the man. He's got nuts.
I mean, hes' got one big nut ;)
Kickez les assez, mon frere!
CA Stu

ratso
07-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Anybody that can kick Cancer's ass can do anything...

angry dad
07-03-2004, 02:11 PM
hope lance will once again rub a win in the french noses!!!:cool:

Misogynist
07-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by angry dad
hope lance will once again rub a win in the french noses!!!:cool:
The closest competitor is Jan Ullrich... he is German and he's been second too many times to not try hard too... I don't even know if the french have a decent team....:confused:

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 06:47 PM
ok, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am kinda bummed with Lance, since he left his wife and kiddies and is going out with Sheryl Crow...........:(
I know that has nothing to do with his bicycle career, but it just makes me sad............:(

angry dad
07-03-2004, 06:55 PM
as long as his whipping The COWARD french!!!

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
ok, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am kinda bummed with Lance, since he left his wife and kiddies and is going out with Sheryl Crow...
Who wouldn't? I like him even more now.
You know what you do with a wife that turns 40?
Trade her in for two 20 year olds... :eek!:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 06:58 PM
ok, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am kinda bummed with Lance, since he left his wife and kiddies and is going out with Sheryl Crow...........:(
I know that has nothing to do with his bicycle career, but it just makes me sad............:(
Sheryl Crow?............. BASTARD............. (Lucky Bastard).......

angry dad
07-03-2004, 07:04 PM
im sorry... can i say it again??? the COWARDLY FRENCH!!!:D :D

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 07:05 PM
As long as he's banging the ass out of somebody... :cool:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Screw the french... he's banging Sheryl Crow....... Bastard.....

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Sheryl Crow?............. BASTARD............. (Lucky Bastard).......
LOL:D
You know what you do with a wife that turns 40? Trade her in for two 20 year olds...
I guess my time is limited?!?

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:08 PM
I guess my time is limited?!?
Oh oh..... :( :p ;)

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by angry dad
the COWARDLY FRENCH!!!:D :D
I prefer, "cheese eating surrender monkeys".
Was it Hardcore-Ski who came up with that?

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I prefer, "cheese eating surrender monkeys".
Was it Hardcore-Ski who came up with that?
want some wine with that?;) ;) ....Monkey! That's classic!

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Oh oh..... :( :p ;)
WAIT!!!
I'm 44............so my time should be up! Where are the two 20 year olds to come take my place!?!?!
;)

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:14 PM
WAIT!!!
I'm 44............so my time should be up! Where are the two 20 year olds to come take my place!?!?!
;)
I think they can be found...........................
for a nominal fee............... LOL...........

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Give me a call when Scream dumps you for a high school senior. I'm badly over weight, impotent, and have a rather large growth on the side of my head but I think you'll find I'm man-o-licious with my top plate in.

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:18 PM
But I really want to know if you are
Regular..................
know what I mean?
I HATE constipated men.....LOL;)

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Baby, you'll never be able to eat dijon mustard again. :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2004, 07:22 PM
WAIT!!!
;)
Scream just needs two 22 year olds...
See? I am a problem solver...
:cool:

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Scream just needs two 22 year olds...
See? I am a problem solver...
:cool:
You are GOOD!!!:D

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:27 PM
You are GOOD!!!:D
HH = Da Man!

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Bet the two 22 year olds couldn't drive the RV or back the trailer down the ramp at Moabi!:D

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Bet the two 22 year olds couldn't drive the RV or back the trailer down the ramp at Moabi!:D
Even as a Tag Team?

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Can you guys tell I was a math major?
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy30.gif
Thank you...thank you...
I'll be here all week...please...tip your waitresses.
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/1/cool09.gif

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Even as a Tag Team?
:confused: :eek:
K
Now I am worried................;)
(is there any oil involved in this tag team?)

JustMVG
07-03-2004, 11:23 PM
It seems the French are taking some heat for changing some of the Stages so that Lance will have a harder time and not be able to repeat, gotta love the french , won't help you for shit, and have to cheat to get someone other than an American to win.

Wet Dream
07-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Debbolas comes through with another thread hijacking performance. Great job....again. :rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
07-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Debbolas - your time is up. And now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...
Lance Armstrong played it safe in the first full stage of the Tour de France. The five-time winner knows he has plenty of time.
Saving himself for the ordeal to come, Armstrong finished comfortably back in the pack in 48th. He is focused on winning a record sixth straight Tour, not scrapping for victories in the hazardous and fast-paced early stages of the three-week race.
A final all-out burst of speed secured Jaan Kirsipuu’s victory in the 125.5-mile trek that featured roads turned treacherous by rain. There were crashes, crowds, wind, punctures and a mighty finishing sprint to contend with — all factors that make the Tour’s first week the part that Armstrong relishes least.
“You have to live with the crashes, and hope you don’t get into one,” said Armstrong, who is third overall.
But for sprinters like Kirsipuu, a 34-year-old Estonian, the Tour’s relatively flat early stages are their strength, the reason why they come to the Tour even though they have no prospect of winning the overall crown when the race finishes in Paris on July 25.
Muscling his way through a gaggle of riders sprinting to the finish, Kirsipuu edged Australian Robbie McEwen and Norway’s Thor Hushovd.
“The sprint was incredible for me,” Kirsipuu said. “I am really, really happy.”
Armstrong finished in the main pack of riders on Sunday but started his Tour in emphatic fashion in Saturday’s prologue time trial, leaving key rivals in his wake. That performance silenced murmurs that, at age 32, the Texan is past his prime and could be ready to fall to his principal challenger, Jan Ullrich. The German finished 32nd in Sunday’s stage, in the same time as Armstrong.

MagicMtnDan
07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Armstrong is fourth overall, 18 seconds behind overall leader Thor Hushovd of Norway. He finished 85th in Monday’s 122-mile second stage from Charleroi to Namur in Belgium, with a small detour into neighboring France.
So far, Armstrong seems pleased, saying his team “is maybe the best one we’ve had.” But the competition is perhaps the toughest he’s faced.
“The field is full,” said Armstrong, who won’t look to take the lead until later in the three-week race. “The course is tough, but I think the competition will be deeper than other years.”
Armstrong’s biggest rival, 1997 Tour winner Jan Ullrich, is a mere 15 seconds back. He finished 38th in the second stage, with the same time as Armstrong. He looks lean and hungry — a fact Armstrong played down.

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2004, 09:49 AM
ARRAS, France - Lance Armstrong took the overall lead Wednesday for the first time at this year’s Tour de France after one of the fastest time trials in race history.
His U.S. Postal Service squad dominated the rain-soaked event, giving the Texan the yellow jersey with a 36-second lead over fellow American and former teammate Tyler Hamilton.
“It really was a special day for the team,” Armstrong said. “The team was incredible. The rhythm was perfect. It’s incredible.
Armstrong, bidding for a record sixth straight Tour title, smiled broadly as he crossed the line, riding a special aerodynamic bike and wearing an aerodynamic helmet and suit.
Jan Ullrich, a five-time Tour runner-up and second again to Armstrong last year, finished fourth and is 55 seconds off the champion’s overall time.
Other challengers were also left trailing: Ivan Basso is 1 minute, 17 seconds behind Armstrong overall, and Roberto Heras is 1 minute, 45 seconds back.
Armstrong said his team started slowly but picked up speed.
“That’s the sign of a great team,” he said. “We fought hard.”
The blue-clad Postal squad celebrated with hugs at the finish line. Armstrong raised his arms as he accepted the yellow jersey that in the past five years he has come to call his own.
Ullrich, the 1997 Tour winner, entered the race as Armstrong’s most feared rival. His T-Mobile squad was more than a minute behind, but new rules designed to limit the advantage that top teams gain in the event protected Ullrich to some extent. In all, the German lost 40 seconds to Armstrong’s team — still a severe setback.
Despite rain that soaked the 40-mile course from Cambrai to Arras, Armstrong’s team still averaged more than 32 mph — the third fastest time in the history of the event.
Armstrong will still be looking to the later mountain stages and individual time trials to put away his rivals for good. But the advantage gained in the team event was a major step toward yet another title.
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040707/040707_lance_yellow_vlrg_920a.vlarge.jpg

superdave013
07-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Dan, Thanks for the updates.
I think those new Euro friendly rules stink. But.... I don't think it matters if Lance wins by 55 seconds or a few mins. Winning is winning and second is the first looser. Ullrich should be getting used to second by now!
Hamilton's looking tuff also.

little rowe boat
07-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Lance is bad ass,he will win in spite of the french cheating.

JetBoatRich
07-07-2004, 11:30 AM
He is right where he likes to be, like in years past:) Near teh leader board then run away from it the few stages.

Ultra5150
07-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by MandMVG
It seems the French are taking some heat for changing some of the Stages so that Lance will have a harder time and not be able to repeat, gotta love the french , won't help you for shit, and have to cheat to get someone other than an American to win.
The fact that they changed the course and the rules piss me off. They made it the hardest tour in 30 years and the team time trial rule where no matter how much his team beats the other guys, the last place team cant lose more than 3 minutes and he cant beat the second place guy by no more than 20 seconds even though he came in way over minute better than them. What kind of rules are these??
If it was a french guy going for his 6th tour win, they would have custom made the course for him. They havent forgiven us for Greg Lemond beating the sh!t out of Bernard Hinault (frenchman) when he was going for his 6th.
If you guys get a chance check, out Lance's foundation at LAF.org, you can order one of those yellow bracelets and support patients with cancer.
I used to be a pretty good cyclist in the day (about 80 lbs ago), this is like my superbowl. Let the geek comments begin.

superdave013
07-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Ultra5150
The fact that they changed the course and the rules piss me off. They made it the hardest tour in 30 years and the team time trial rule where no matter how much his team beats the other guys, the last place team cant lose more than 3 minutes and he cant beat the second place guy by no more than 20 seconds even though he came in way over minute better than them. What kind of rules are these??
If it was a french guy going for his 6th tour win, they would have custom made the course for him. They havent forgiven us for Greg Lemond beating the sh!t out of Bernard Hinault (frenchman) when he was going for his 6th.
If you guys get a chance check, out Lance's foundation at LAF.org, you can order one of those yellow bracelets and support patients with cancer.
I used to be a pretty good cyclist in the day (about 80 lbs ago), this is like my superbowl. Let the geek comments begin.
I agree! But it will be that much sweeter when Lance wins it!
You should hear the Euros cry when they have to race the Big Bear downhill course. It's pretty funny. They like dirt and grass and we have soft silty powder. They cry and cry about it but some still seem to do pretty well. :mad:

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2004, 01:06 PM
The good news here is that Lance has what could probably be termed an early lead for him. He's usually near the top of the leaders board in the early going and has trounced his competitors in the demanding mountainous segments. Since he's got the lead now he has a very good chance of really breaking out ahead of the pack when the mountains begin. :)

Essex502
07-07-2004, 01:08 PM
They changed the course to make it harder but won't it be harder for all the teams - equally?
"If I can't beat you at my game I'll change the rules to suit me!" Focking French turd smokers.

Ultra5150
07-07-2004, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Essex502
[B]They changed the course to make it harder but won't it be harder for all the teams - equally?
No man has ever been strong enough to win his sixth tour, in a normal tour/normal type course they have always fallen apart.
Their goal was to make Lance fall apart.
Whoever wins, wins. Hopefully a European, as long as it is not Lance Armstrong.
The other guys who have won 5 tours did not have the $$ and the technology that Lance has. Plus he kicked cancer's ass, I think he is going to be in Yellow in Paris.

Ducatista
07-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey Enrique.....you geek!:D
This is an early lead for Lance, with the mountains ahead where he kicks butt. I would love to see him do it with the sneaky rule changes, that would be great!

Essex502
07-07-2004, 01:40 PM
No man has ever been strong enough to win his sixth tour, in a normal tour/normal type course they have always fallen apart.
Their goal was to make Lance fall apart.
Whoever wins, wins. Hopefully a European, as long as it is not Lance Armstrong.
The other guys who have won 5 tours did not have the $$ and the technology that Lance has. Plus he kicked cancer's ass, I think he is going to be in Yellow in Paris.
Why it won't matter: Armstrong is a physical anomaly. His heart has been measured at one-third larger than an average man's, and his lung capacity is among the greatest recorded. He is 32, but it's doubtful that anybody can outlast him.
The above was from an L.A. Times article dated July 2, 2004

MagicMtnDan
07-10-2004, 09:18 AM
SAINT-BRIEUC, France - Lance Armstrong finished in a pack of riders behind Italy’s Filippo Pozzato in the seventh stage of the Tour de France on Saturday, and remained in sixth place overall after the first week of cycling’s premier race.
Armstrong, trying for a record sixth straight Tour victory, finished the stage 55th, 10 seconds behind the winner. He has been ceding stage wins to lesser-known rivals and sprinters early in the three-week race, waiting for harder stages to make his push to the front.
Pozzato, of the Fasso Bartolo team, led a three-man breakaway and finished the 127.08-mile leg from Chateaubriant to Saint-Brieuc in 4 hours, 31 minutes and 34 seconds — just ahead of Spanish riders Iker Flores of Euskaltel-Euskadi and Francisco Mancebo of Illes Balears-B. Santander.
“It’s the most beautiful win of my career,” said Pozzato, a 22-year-old riding in his first Tour. “It’s a very nice win after a hard finish.”
Armstrong is 9 minutes, 35 seconds behind overall leader Thomas Voeckler of France, who crossed the line in the peloton with the 32-year-old Texan and retained the overall leader’s yellow jersey.
Jan Ullrich, the 1997 Tour champion and Armstrong’s chief rival, placed 30th in the stage, 10 seconds behind. He is in 22nd place overall, 10:30 back.
Cyclists faced brief showers and windy conditions in the stage, adding to nervous riding.
“We all anticipated that the coast there would be windy and it was for a little bit when it was storming, but it lined up after we got dry,” Armstrong said.
“It was a kind of scary for a while. But what’s new?” he said, referring to a first week filled with crashes, including one that briefly brought down the champion on Friday.
The Danish CSC team took advantage of the rain and pounced upon an unsuspecting pack as it swung past the Brittany coast near the 93-mile mark. The pack, led partly by Armstrong’s U.S. Postal Service team, gave chase and reeled them in.
Armstrong said there was little flair to Saturday’s stage, but that was needed after a week of rain-soaked roads and crashes.
“I thought you’d have more spice in the race, but I think guys are tired and stressed from all the crashes,” he said.
Cyclists ran into all sorts of fan hazards in the last 6.2 miles, including smoky flares and crowds spilling into the streets as the riders roared by.
For a second straight day, Armstrong had critical words for Tour organizers, saying they should have planned a time trial in the first week to ease the nervousness in early, flat stages.
“I think the race needs a time trial in the first week because it’s too nervous without it,” he said. “It’s safer for the event to establish some order in the group and we’re still another week away from figuring out who the hell’s going to be in the front.”
On Friday, Armstrong faulted Tour managers for a course route that led cyclists through a narrow passage in a frenzied final stretch of the stage. Some riders crashed and dozens more got stuck behind them.