PDA

View Full Version : Do you tell people you've made friends on the internet?

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:25 PM
My wife laughs at me for meeting boardmembers, but she admits that those we've met off the boards have all been cool.
But when people ask how did you meet (insert name here). I find it a little embarrasing to admit I met them on the internet.....
UH, yah. I meet guys on the internet......so what? :rolleyes:

Blown 472
07-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi, my name is........................

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Uh...Slim Shady? :confused:

Bre
07-02-2004, 08:32 PM
I will admit taht I met you guys from the internet....but Andy just says that we met all of you from the river:rolleyes: :D

Havasu Hangin'
07-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I haven't made any friends on the internet, though.

RiverToysJas
07-02-2004, 08:41 PM
I went to Vegas to meet a guy I met on the internet!
See, when I say it like that it sounds so gay, but when I say, "I met a dude from Hot Boat Forum at Sema" it sounds ..... a little less gay. ;)
RTJas :D

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Except for the Semen part......:rolleyes:

Havasu Hangin'
07-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
... it sounds ..... a little less gay. ;)
You're not gay? :eek:

Shark In The Pond
07-02-2004, 08:46 PM
I admit I met alot of peeps from the internet but... just not you Mandelon:D :D Wazzzzz up and little miss Bre ?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-02-2004, 08:47 PM
All of our other friends think it's strange when we talk about people from the boards, or going someplace to meet up with "friends" we've never actually "met." We've learned to not tell them.:cool: It's our little secret.:cool:

RiverToysJas
07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
You're not gay? :eek:
Why, you lookin'?

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Some of my "regular" friends.. :rolleyes: just look at me funny when I say that I met this other person "on the boards".
They're thinking: "Boards......? what boards? " Then I have to explain it for them....oh, such simpletons..... :D

ahhell
Ya know what sucks....is when your at the sandbar and your wifes friend say's hey thats so and so from ***boats forum, so you and Scream (not to mention any names) go up and intro. your selfs as "hi, i'm Scream and this is Ahhel, how ya doin'" and the guy stands there with a blank look in his eyes and you talk for a minute and then ask "is this your boat?" and the dude says ...NO...so later , after standing there wondering who is this guys you go back to your boat and ask the wife who that was and she says.....not him....him....and points to someone completely different!!!guess its time to start listening to the wife:p :p :p

OGShocker
Mandy,
I tell everyone. I don't tell them that you are one of the people I have met. I do have a reputation to uphold.:D
OG<hangin' at the lake>Shocker

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Mandy,
I tell everyone. I don't tell them that you are one of the people I have met. I do have a reputation to uphold.:D
OG<hangin' at the lake>Shocker
I think you still owe me a beer though. :cool:

RiverToysJas
07-02-2004, 08:55 PM
I really hate when I THINK I know a boat from hot boat, and I fianlly ask, "are you on Hot Boat?" and I get the "what the **** is your problem?" look in return. In fact I've done it twice and been wrong, now I don't ask unless I'm 100% totally sure .... and even then I'll probably be wrong :( LOL! :D

OGShocker
07-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I think you still owe me a beer though. :cool:
Come on out to the new house. I'll hand you a beer and a shiny new paint brush.;)

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:58 PM
I really hate when I THINK I know a boat from hot boat, and I fianlly ask, "are you on Hot Boat?" and I get the "what the **** is your problem?" look in return. In fact I've done it twice and been wrong, now I don't ask unless I'm 100% totally sure .... and even then I'll probably be wrong :( LOL! :D
I hear that. I solved that problem......;) The OP6 sticker works too though.

sidewound
I've met some people from the boards and they were all axe murderers. Go figure?:confused:
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Mandelon
Come on out to the new house. I'll hand you a beer and a shiny new paint brush.;)
OK, but I only work till 10:00, then its time to hit the water....:D

clownpuncher
07-02-2004, 08:59 PM
It's always a little awkward to say the least. Especially when you have the stigma of being almost homo-phobic and such. It's like this..........
"Hey Roland, nice boat. Where'd you get it?"
"Uh, from a guy I met on the internet?"
"From the internet?"
"Uh, yeah, but it's a really cool site with great people and fun times and............WTF are you laughing at mother ****er!!!"
OR
"Hey Roland, cool bird cage/mister thing ya got there. Where'd you get it?"
"Uh, from a buddy of mine."
"What buddy?"
"name's Riverdave"
"huh?"
"He's a guy I met on the internet on a boating website and...........WTF are you laughing at mother ****er!!!!!"
Yeah, I tell em all I meet people on the internet. **** em :D

OGShocker
07-02-2004, 08:59 PM
OK, but I only work till 10:00, then its time to hit the water....:D
That's great! We start working at 11:00 PM.

OGShocker
07-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
It's always a little awkward to say the least. Especially when you have the stigma of being almost homo-phobic and such. It's like this..........
"From the internet?"
"Uh, yeah, but it's a really cool site with great people and fun times and............WTF are you laughing at mother ****er!!!"
OR
"What buddy?"
"name's Riverdave"
"huh?"
"He's a guy I met on the internet on a boating website and...........WTF are you laughing at mother ****er!!!!!"
ROFLMAO

Havasu Hangin'
07-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Why, you lookin'?
Uh...no. You're not my type (not that there's anything wrong with that)...

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:05 PM
I met my wife on the internet....C'mon.
Brian

RiverToysJas
07-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
I met my wife on the internet....C'mon.
Brian
Are you trying to tell us you're not gay? :confused:

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 09:06 PM
And she's definietly not gay.......:D

Debbolas
07-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
Ya know what sucks....is when your at the sandbar and your wifes friend say's hey thats so and so from ***boats forum, so you and Scream (not to mention any names) go up and intro. your selfs as "hi, i'm Scream and this is Ahhel, how ya doin'" and the guy stands there with a blank look in his eyes and you talk for a minute and then ask "is this your boat?" and the dude says ...NO...so later , after standing there wondering who is this guys you go back to your boat and ask the wife who that was and she says.....not him....him....and points to someone completely different!!!guess its time to start listening to the wife:p :p :p
How the heck was I suppose to KNOW you all would go and chat with just anyone standing by that cool boat. (What was that guys name?) He recognised our boat, anyway, and we met Huckleberry! (very cool) LMAO about you two talking to that guys friends.....LOL:D
We also met Phat Matt, Goldi and Jase and wife and kids......;)

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Are you trying to tell us you're not gay? :confused:
Ah no, not gay. Far from it.
I was just trying to say that the internet is a good thing. All of you guys from the boards have been WAY cool to hang out with.
Brian

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Yup, that's right. Brian, can you fedex my pants back.....I think they're in your living room still. :eek: :D

clownpuncher
07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Yup, that's right. Brian, can you fedex my pants back.....I think they're in your living room still. :eek: :D
That just ain't right

RiverToysJas
07-02-2004, 09:27 PM
That just ain't right
I know I took my pants back when I left last time!

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Ya Pal, just as soon as you send me your address...you'll get your pants back.:mad:
Haha.
Your check BETTER be outside my house when I get home next week.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey come on now. Two wife jokes, one right after the other?
That ain't right....
Brian:(

Beautiful Noise
07-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Your check BETTER be outside my house when I get home next week.Brian
Brian your not trying to make Money off this are you?......lol:rolleyes: :D :D

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry, We are just jealous cuz you get more sex with your wife than we do.................with our wives, I mean. ;)

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Beautiful Noise
Brian your not trying to make Money off this are you?......lol:rolleyes: :D :D
Somebody has to pay for it, it AIN'T free you know.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm sorry, We are just jealous cuz you get more sex with your wife than we do.................with our wives, I mean. ;)
Nice play on words.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I am surprised you remembered that post. Christie wasn't happy about that.....:eek:
Brian

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Didn't mean to get you in trouble. Be proud!!! :D

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Didn't mean to get you in trouble. Be proud!!! :D
I am not afraid.
Brian

ROZ
07-02-2004, 10:03 PM
I hear that. I solved that problem......;) The OP6 sticker works too though.
Yes it does... Malibu_Ken lives near me and has seen my 4runner on occasion, but never posted about seeing one in the hood....
We need to get another SDC billiards and beer goin on...

HighRoller
07-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Met my fiance on the net. My parents think we met at the Cummins shop across from where she used to work. Guess I'll have to bust the bad news to them soon. My Mom thinks 50% of the people on the net are child molesters, 50% are axe murderers and the other 50% are just weird!!:D

clownpuncher
07-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Met my fiance on the net. My parents think we met at the Cummins shop across from where she used to work. Guess I'll have to bust the bad news to them soon. My Mom thinks 50% of the people on the net are child molesters, 50% are axe murderers and the other 50% are just weird!!:D
Wouldn't that make 150% of the people? :p

wsuwrhr
07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Wouldn't that make 150% of the people? :p
That is what I was going to say.
Brian

Kim Hanson
07-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I have met a few Jas, Jordy and alot from HavasuBarney...it's all good.........( . )( . ).....:cool:

Kim Hanson
07-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Okay, not alot from HavasuBarney.......( . )( . )...I try to though!:D :p

Rexone
07-03-2004, 12:52 AM
I went to Vegas to meet a guy I met on the internet!
See, when I say it like that it sounds so gay, but when I say, "I met a dude from Hot Boat Forum at Sema" it sounds ..... a little less gay. ;)
Hey watch that gay shit. :D

Rexone
07-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I've met a bunch of peeps from the board at the various shows we attend and here at work. They've all been cool except RD.
Met Tom Brown and his brother Lebenez too. Cool Canatards.
JK RD. :D

spute
07-03-2004, 07:35 AM
So if i do see one of you out there (which i have), what am i supposed to say? ....."Hi, I'm Spute from the boards"?????

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by spute
So if i do see one of you out there (which i have), what am i supposed to say? ....."Hi, I'm Spute from the boards"?????
I usually say..."who the hell are you?"
Then...when they ask who I am...I just say "...I haven't signed up yet."

Kim Hanson
07-03-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
I've met a bunch of peeps from the board at the various shows we attend and here at work. They've all been cool except RD.
Met Tom Brown and his brother Lebenez too. Cool Canatards.
JK RD. :D
Tom is cool, his brother wasn't with him in Kelowna! I have also met DegoRed, UncleTony, HavasuBarney & Jen, HavasuSecret, Squirtja,MikeC,Slow in Havasu, Randy,Roland too many more to all type out and it's all good.......( . )( . )......:cool:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I usually say..."who the hell are you?"
Then...when they ask who I am...I just say "...I haven't signed up yet."
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The deniability is plauseable... good Plan HH!

Mandelon
07-03-2004, 08:16 AM
You can't miss HH in his oceanliner.......it'd be like my chocolate faced kid denying he ate the last Oreos.......:D :D

RiverToysJas
07-03-2004, 09:36 AM
I usually just tell people I'm HBJet.

Lightning
07-03-2004, 09:46 AM
My lady used to think it was odd that I "knew people through ***boat" but she has said that everyone she has met is pretty cool. Now she just thinks that I don't work all day and just hang out on ***boat. . . . . I can't dispute that point without laughing:D

coolchange
07-03-2004, 09:51 AM
More like- "Hi I'm Spute from the boards, is this beer cold enough for ya?"
<-----------By the way, no confusion, nuthin blue, no flames, no tribal, no bimini, and no visible means of propulsion.:D

Scream
07-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by spute
And don't forget to throw them the "Shocker" :eek: :eek:
LOL

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 06:02 PM
I've stopped telling people (not on the boards) that I talk to and meet people on Hot Boat. They just don't get it, they look at you in a strange sort of way......and don't bother explaining how cool everyone you have met on the boards is, they just nod, like you are talking about your stamp collection....;)
And I threw someone the shocker this week, and they all like freaked out! Does it possibly mean something else?!?!
:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 09:28 PM
I have met RD, although I don't recall much of it. My memory of it fades to gray... The next thing I remember is waking up with a cinder block on my chest. :confused:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
I've stopped telling people (not on the boards) that I talk to and meet people on Hot Boat. They just don't get it, they look at you in a strange sort of way......and don't bother explaining how cool everyone you have met on the boards is, they just nod, like you are talking about your stamp collection....;)
And I threw someone the shocker this week, and they all like freaked out! Does it possibly mean something else?!?!
:rolleyes:
Now see... it doesn't bother me to tell people that I have met folks on the boards...
Hell everyone knows I have no life....;)

Mandelon
07-03-2004, 10:27 PM
I wanna see Deb throwin the Shocker.....LOL :eek: :D :eek:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 10:29 PM
It may take a while for her to figure out which hand gesture is the "right" one for Shocker............;)

Rexone
07-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I have met RD, although I don't recall much of it. My memory of it fades to gray... The next thing I remember is waking up with a cinder block on my chest. :confused:
Good thing he gave you a snorkel too.

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Good thing he gave you a snorkel too.
Next time I'll bring some bottled O2. :D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Next time I'll bring some bottled O2. :D :D :D
and a defibrulator...........:p

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Pass the Marlboros and you better crank the spark-o-matic up to 360 joules...

JustMVG
07-03-2004, 11:05 PM
People ask me i just tell them Chet Capoli is over there and point to some innocent guy just trying to relax. God is that fun to watch

NewAzCpl
07-04-2004, 05:24 AM
We have met many on the internet.. mostly cause we lived in a small area and at our jobs we did not work with ppl so we just started chatting and met ppl we thought would have the same interests... So we have met plenty of good and bad ppl for sure..... When we say we met on the internet alot have asked if we were swingers thats the biggest questions we get LOL..... they do not realize much more things then that out there.....
And now we are moving to Az and we have been checkign all the boating boards to try and meet PPl in the area since we do not know anyone or anythign in the area.... SO hey do not be shy we would like to meet everyone hehehehe
Lin and Dana

Moneypitt
07-04-2004, 07:37 AM
I think the people here on the board are a good cross section of boating people in general. As I look back, I can't think of a single person I've met boating that I wouldn't met again if given that choice. The boaters here have been a great help with problems, boating and otherwise, and its always an adventure when I come looking to see what is the next "drama" to surface. Yes, I've met quite a few of the people here, at the river, at the races, and while exchanging parts and pieces in pursuit of our sport. I like to feel that I've helped some, and I know I've been helped by many. As far as actually meeting board members face to face, I feel as though I know alot of them already, without actually meeting them. Do I tell people I met people on the computer? You bet, and I try to incourage any boaters to get involved with this and other boards. The latest "sandbar" incident shows the strength and unity that has been molded here, the "family", this board has created is something to be proud of and I look forward to actually meeting, face to face, as many of the great people here as possible..........Moneypitt/ Ray

JustMVG
07-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Honestly the folks i've met thru HB and HD have all been great, fun to hang with and always great to see or meet them at the lakes or river, admit to knowing or having met folks online why not , i'm sure there are some of you who made friends with your CB radios or Ham radios and you'd admit it, well maybe not the CBers:D , but whats the difference, as a group we do spend a good deal of time here and at other sites, some of you at work Debbolas you ... everywhere you must have 2 laptops and know where every wireless hookup there is J/K of course, but we keep coming back some few times a day some not as frequently, but we have fun here and at Havasu Dougs and of course RD's Riverratlife. All of them have a personality which makes it fun for me, you want drama, HB don't want drama, HD, wanna scream and playfully call each other bitch well of course head over to RRLJ/K RD don't want the wrath of RD to come down and put bad karma on me or my boat.
MVG

sorry dog
07-05-2004, 12:40 AM
I was re-united with my long lost cuz JBB through the internet!

Drunk tank
07-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Some people understand the whole common interest online thing... so to those people I just say met so and so off of ***boat or pirate4x4 or whatever. Then theres some folks that just dont understand.... So I just tell them the first place I met the person.

Huckleberry
07-05-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
This always bugs me. People think its weird to meet folks with a common interest on the net and hang out to get to know one another. But, then in the secrecy of their little casa they'll do online sex chat with some 450 pound focker who's passing himself off as a Brad Pitt look-alike. Or worse yet, they'll fly thousands of miles to actually meet up with one fo these stooges! (Believe me it happens! Just ask my ex-wife how she enjoyed her venture to Eugene, Orewgon!)

SandbarScot
07-05-2004, 06:51 AM
I have a lot of friends that we go to the river with, but only got one to join the boards (Kokopelli). The rest think it is weird that I can recognize someones boat from the internet and strike up a conversation.
Someday I will figure out how to put a picture of my boat on the signature.;)

repo man
07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
it's not like meeting friends online, it's like joining a boating cult.

Dusty Times
07-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I would never admit it!
But I have met some of the coolest people here or have known the boat to say hello to on the water.

welk2party
07-05-2004, 12:16 PM
I tell people I belong to a boating club.

JustMVG
07-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Great now were a "club" now it's fancy dinners and Cpt's hats and Mr. and Mrs. Howell will be there. J/k of course but ihave met great people here, now if we can get a type of OP6, for the LA Boat show next year, it might get the interest of the boat makers of what Real boaters want, and no i'm not referring to the INFAMOUS REX MARINE CATALOG, but ideas that they might not normally hear, but if any of you made the show last year you saw how much fun they were having a B day Celebration for Mrs. Knucklehead, so if theres another Bday boat show bash at the next show boy are the boat makers going to get some very interesting ideas.... MVG

KACHINA KEN
07-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Most of my friends in Phoenix are ass clowns anyhow so I don't care what they think. I made some really cool friends on RRX and here. You guys and gals are cool, even you overly politico types.
Kenny

Tom Brown
07-05-2004, 02:56 PM
I've enjoyed meeting some really cool people. The only thing that might be considered a little unusual is when I first met Kim Hanson and he cut into his arm with a pocket knife to show me how thick his tendons were.

canuck1
07-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Hi, my name is........................
Your name is SPICE BOY

Kachina26
07-05-2004, 07:53 PM
I have met some really cool people here. I prefer boating with other boaters over co-workers and the like. How many of you have started a sentence with "So I was talking to " when refering to a conversation here?

Kim Hanson
07-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by canuck1
Your name is SPICE BOY
Your name is Bitch! :p .......( . )( . )....I have the name for that Red thing :D :cool: ..........( . )( . )......:p :p

Debbolas
07-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
It may take a while for her to figure out which hand gesture is the "right" one for Shocker............;)
I practiced and confirmed the gesture with Scream and Ahhell, but they just kept laughing................:rolleyes:

Kim Hanson
07-05-2004, 07:59 PM
I've enjoyed meeting some really cool people. The only thing that might be considered a little unusual is when I first met Kim Hanson and he cut into his arm with a pocket knife to show me how thick his tendons were.
.......( :D )( :D )...........:p

SoCalOffshore
07-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Shhh. They don't know I am here. :D

Jrocket
07-05-2004, 08:20 PM
I usually just tell people I'm HBJet.
Ahhh thats why you get beat up so much! LOL:D

Debbolas
07-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I have met some really cool people here. I prefer boating with other boaters over co-workers and the like. How many of you have started a sentence with "So I was talking to " when refering to a conversation here?
I have!
The cool thing is we got to meet the J family this past week at Moabi. Jam, his wife and their two kids. They have a nice Hallett.
They pulled up on our beach, and set up camp, no big deal, it's a big beach, lots of room. Then he walks over and introduces himself. (I am so glad I was nice!):D They are very cool people.
One of the couples we were with, the first trip out, we were chatting about our HB friends, etc...and now they got to meet some..;)

canuck1
07-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Kim Hanson
Your name is Bitch! :p .......( . )( . )....I have the name for that Red thing :D :cool: ..........( . )( . )......:p :p
Bite ME ya puss
So rumor has it that your on hollidays so where ya goin? and will the mini van get ya there?

YW82DRM
07-06-2004, 12:19 PM
My fiance thinks I am crazy for talking about the forums and posting. When I first told him he made a few comments and I replied with I would rather talk to these people I haven't met then to hang out with some of your rude friends. Anyway he calls the hot boats fake friends but I know he's just jealous.:D

OGShocker
07-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Me TOO!:D

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Me TOO!:D
Ok, refresh my memory, what is the Shocker!?!
You hold up your hand and hold your ring finger down, right?!?;)

RiverDave
07-06-2004, 12:54 PM
"From the internet?"
OR
"What buddy?"
"name's Riverdave"
"huh?"
LMAO... :D
RD

Tremor Therapy
07-06-2004, 01:11 PM
I gotta admit it was a little unsettling at first. When I went to my first RRX regatta, I had already "made friends" with a lot of the members on RRX, but had not met any. I mean every time I introduced my wife to someone I had already "met", I had to say, "honey I met them on the internet" and the look on her face was worth a million bucks!
She is cool with it now, but those early looks................:eek!: