PDA

View Full Version : Noise Laws

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 08:44 PM
What's your interpretation of this statement? This is the only thing that Pennsylvania has listed in its official boating website. A couple of years ago, it stated nothing more than "engines must be equipped with a muffling device". There aren't any decible levels listed. Last year, rumor has it that the boat comission wanted to check my boat for dB levels, but there aren't any specific numbers or techniques to go off of. I stayed away from that hot spot for the remainder of the year. ;)
NOISE RESTRICTIONS AND MUFFLING DEVICES
It is illegal for a boat to be so loud that it is an extraordinary annoyance or distraction to persons in the vicinity of the that boat." Boat motors must be equipped with an efficient muffling system or device in good working order. Most boats and motors that come directly from the manufacturer are adequately muffled. Boat exhaust systems may not be modified in any manner that will reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of the muffler or muffler system. Cut-outs (muffler bypasses) are illegal in Pennsylvania. Boats without a muffler or muffling system must be backfitted before being operated.

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Does your boat comply with that? Does it have any type of muffling device...like baffles or water injection???

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Hey Mande,
Yeah, I run Ot's, with the "optional" wedge baffles. I only put them in on "required" lakes.
Here's what happened. I got to know my boat cop on a first name basis. Nice guy. Someone shot holes through the boat commissions vessel earlier in the year. So he stands on the shore at the launch ramp and inspects boaters as they come in or out. Real nice guy, and if you have most of the required equipment and are missing something or some minor infraction, he'll give them a little lecture and a warning. Since I usually hang out near where he is, I told him that if he ever needed to chase someone down, flag me and we'll go get him. I invite him to inspect the boat every time before launching and he knows my stuff is up to or above par.
Every 4th of July there are about 100 boats that launch out to watch the fireworks on the river and party. When I launched last year at 4pm, there were 3 other boat officers with him. I went up to him, said hi and shook hands with him as always and with the other officers. They didn't think anything of it...until I got in the water. I loaded my passengers and putted out of the 5mph zone and just got up to plane without stabbing the throttle. A friend of mine launched a couple of minutes behind me, but he heard the other officers saying that my boat was way too loud and they were going to dB it. My friend told me this while out on the water. So upon return to the dock after the fireworks, the only officer there was my boat cop. He mentioned that the other guys thought my boat was loud. I told him that I have mufflers, and that they weren't installed and also have water injection. He didn't say much after that and I really didn't go back there much after that either. After that brush with them, I did some research and didn't find anything regarding dB levels, only the requirement of a "muffling device". :confused:

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 09:20 PM
It sounds like he is cool with it the way it is. Will they write you a ticket for an infraction ya think? If there is no db limit spelled out in the law is it up the officer or the judge to determine what is "too loud"?? Sure seems hokey to me.

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Thats what I was questioning. "Muffling device"...does water qualify? Ask me and it does. Ask a boat cop, probably not. Mufflers are mufflers, so thats a plus in my direction. Too loud? Ask me, probably not...boat cop, well thats up to him. I guess that it all comes down to personal preferrance, but the state law mandates a muffling device, so as long as I have them in, I consider it legal. Right? come on, back me on this. ;)

Wakker
07-03-2004, 12:53 AM
So long as it has a muffler they can't do shit. If they write you a ticket, goto court and fight it... its a gray area and if its not in writing it wont stand.