PDA

View Full Version : Doug Lewis Of Professional Marine

SHARKEYMARINE
07-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Doug Lewis of Professional Marine Racing is battling cancer.
The history of his fight can be found here:
Doug Lewis' Progress Webpage (http://pages.zdnet.com/sharkeymarine/id42.html)
I just received this email from his wife Leeanne:
7/3/04
Hi,
Doug is gravely ill and back in the hospital. This AM they did a liver biopsy. After numerous tests this past week something showed up on an x-ray. No one is sure yet what we're dealing with this time. It could be nothing or something. They discontinued his chemo because it isn't working any longer. The docs said that his cancer treatment will be secondary to this new acute liver problem. Once that is dealt with, they'll resume with new meds. He also has what appears to be thrush. By Wednesday we should know more. Please, remember him in your prayers. He needs them now more than ever.
Thank you.
Leeanne
Godspeed Doug! My prayers are with you..... :(

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 11:16 PM
:(
Get well, Doug.

SHARKEYMARINE
07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Here is the most recent information I received from Doug's wife Leeanne this morning....
Doug continues to hold on and fight. No athlete I know of could endure what he is going through and remain as steadfast and focused on his goal. I stayed with him until 6AM and then went home to change and go back. He's in renal failure but the doc believes given time and with Doug's sheer willpower can possibly bring them back. He'll be having another round of dialysis today then more plasmaphersis. They infused 2 more compacted units of red cells and 2 more bags of plasma. He was still bleeding freely from the groin area where they put the catheter in that dialyzes him. He was having difficulty breathing even with oxygen so I requested that a doc come up and see him. Doug is understandably very anxious and said so (the reason for the out-of-breath feeling). The doc said there was no significant fluid in his lungs or around his heart. They took some x-rays to confirmed that. He asked for some Jell-O around 2:30 AM which we stole from another floor.
I'm sorry I can't call each and every one of you, especially you Lisa, Kelley and Dan. Please know that I care and that I'm trying the best I can to be there for your Dad. With a little bit of luck, lots of love and a whole lot of prayers - we can get him to Seattle yet. No one is giving up - especially your father.
Thank you everyone for your role in our lives.
Leeanne
Doug is pictured on the right:

Her454
07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

SHARKEYMARINE
07-13-2004, 02:20 AM
Leeanne's latest email:
July 12th, 2004
Hi:
Doug had a setback today. They lowered his sedative dose and because he was conscious and able to communicate, he wanted his vent tube removed. When it wasn't he got very agitated to the point where his blood pressure jumped up to 160/101 and his heart rate 141. In response to that outburst they increased his dose and knocked him back out. He isn't ready to come off yet. The doc did a sonogram of his liver area and it shows some blood around his lung and diaphragm. He's still draining. Tonight they are doing some more testing to be certain he isn't bleeding elsewhere internally. I should know something tomorrow when I see the docs in the AM.
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.
Leeanne

SHARKEYMARINE
07-14-2004, 01:36 AM
July 13 th, 2004
Hello,
Just a quick update. Nothing really new to report. More transfusions, platelets and plasma. Plasmaphersis was done, dialysis tomorrow and an ultrasound. Tomorrow they might try again to remove the ventilator. The anticipation is unbearable.
Thanks to you all for your telephone messages, emails and offers of help any way you can. It's all appreciated.
Leeanne

THOR
07-14-2004, 06:28 AM
My wishes go out to Doug and his family.

SHARKEYMARINE
07-24-2004, 12:46 AM
I have spent the last few nights with him & Leeanne.
They have cutoff some off the drugs to bring him around into a coherent state. He gave somewhat of a response when Leeanne called his name. He would try to open his yes, or move his eyebrows, but he was still very much out of it... With his kidneys not in full operation, it is taking a real long time to come off the drugs. Hopefully they can get him to come around today. Leeanne desparately needs to ask him what he would like to do.
He originally went in for his routine check, and from there, some errors have been made. Unfortunately, because of these errors, Doug has not been able to receive his Kemo in a month. They have been trying to deal with the damage that has occurred.
I am sure Leeanne will get around to the details, and will let you know what took place. As of right now, it is not the cancer that is looking to take Doug away from us.
Because he is still responding, we know his mind is still there fighting.
With that alone, Leeanne had decided to give him the chance to overcome the new obstacles. We know that much about Doug. He would want to fight to the very end, and if there is any last thing to try, he would want that...
He doesn't have the word "quit" in his vocabulary.
God bless you Doug!
We are all here for you.......

SHARKEYMARINE
07-28-2004, 12:51 AM
I have received confirmation from Leeanne of Doug's passing.
"Doug passed away at 11:05 PM, Tuesday, July 27. After he is cremated a memorial service will be held. I'll let you know the details in a few days.
Thanks for all your encouragement and concern during this time.
Leeanne"
The Offshore Community has lost yet another incredible icon.
Doug has taught me many things over the years.
As often as time allowed, we would work together in the Dyno room. I'd give a hand here and there with rigging, and many years back I would do all his glass work for him. I enjoyed the times working side by side with him. His ideas seemed endless.
The most notable time was when he & I finished the "new design" Cheetah Cat just a few days before the World Championships in Key West, and the boat walked away with the Championship in Stock Class that year.
Doug, I will cherish the times we spent. I am sure you are already rigging a one of the largest Skaters for the "BIG GUY" up in the sky....
God Bless You!
We will meet again......
You will be missed and not forgotten... :( :( :(

Rexone
07-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Godspeed to you Doug... :(

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Godspeed Doug

rrrr
07-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Rest easy, Doug. My prayers go out to his family.

SHARKEYMARINE
07-28-2004, 01:01 PM
A viewing will be held on Friday night 7pm to 9pm @
Ely Funeral Home
3316 State Route 33 Neptune, NJ 07753-3441
Phone:(732) 918-6650.
Here is Doug doing what he loved best:

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
thanks for putting up all the pictures

SHARKEYMARINE
07-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
thanks for putting up all the pictures
Anytime....

SHARKEYMARINE
07-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Doug racing a Fountain:

SHARKEYMARINE
07-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Doug racing a Sutphen:

SHARKEYMARINE
07-29-2004, 09:25 PM
His Drag Boat:

SHARKEYMARINE
07-29-2004, 09:26 PM
DOUGLAS K. LEWIS, 51, of TOMS RIVER
Published in the Asbury Park Press 7/29/04
DOUGLAS K. LEWIS, 51, of TOMS RIVER, died Tuesday, July 27, at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune. Born in Biloxi, Miss., he grew up in Woodbury and resided in the Shore area for the past 15 years. He was the owner of Professional Marine Racing of Brick. He was a seven-time World Power Boat Champion. He also owned and operated a shop for race boats in the Persian Gulf for several years.
He was predeceased by his mother, Joan Kramer Lewis. Surviving are his wife, Leeanne Carpenter Lewis; two daughters, Lisa Potter of Woodbury, and Kelley Schemeley of Swedesboro; a son, Daniel P. Lewis of Woodbury; his father, Douglas Harvey Lewis of West Deptford; four grandchildren, BJ, Branden, Taylor, and Brianna; two sisters, Kathleen Ward of Woodbury, and Irene Lewis of Cherry Hill; a brother, William Lewis of Yardville; and many nieces and nephews.
Visiting hours will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at the Ely Funeral Home, 3316 Route 33, Neptune. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 14, at the Presbyterian Church of Toms River, Hooper Avenue, Toms River. In lieu of flowers, donations to the International Myeloma Foundation, 12650 Riverside Drive, Suite 206, North Hollywood, CA 19607, would be appreciated.

JustMVG
07-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Godspeed Doug and heartfelt sympathies for the family.
You're in our prayers tonight Doug and Family.
The Van Gompel Family

THOR
07-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Godspeed Doug.
My prayers are with his family.

Debbolas
07-30-2004, 07:23 AM
We are so sorry for you loss. How sad to read of his passing, he seems like he lived his life to the fullest.

HavasuDreamin'
07-30-2004, 08:05 AM
R.I.P.
:( :(