PDA

View Full Version : Static in system???

survey76
07-05-2004, 07:58 AM
I've just recently started to get a bunch of static in the stereo system. I can't figure it out, I've retightened every connection on the amps and batteries, nothing is chaffed that I can see, but I've still got this static sound. I've noticed that if I turn on the running lights or plug something into a 12v outlet, it will kill most if not all of the static sound. I don't know what that has to do with it, but I thought maybe somebody here had run into the same problem.
Any help is appreciated....
Thanks,
Dan

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Did you pull the RCAs off the amp and see if the noise is still there?
Where is the head unit getting it's power and ground?

survey76
07-05-2004, 10:16 AM
I'll try the RCAs. The amps are wired directly off of the battery, but the stereo is wired how ever it was wired from the factory.
-Dan

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by survey76
I'll try the RCAs. The amps are wired directly off of the battery, but the stereo is wired how ever it was wired from the factory.
-Dan
If you take the RCAs off, and the noise goes away, then it's in the head unit. I've never had much luck with the dash power/ground (stock wiring location), because all of those noisy accessories are run off the same wiring.
Try running a power/ground (and memory wire) for the head unit directly off the battery- if the noise goes away, then you found the problem.

survey76
07-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Will do. Thanks again for the help.
-Dan

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2004, 07:02 PM
The other thing that can cause static is a HEI (or MSD) ignition...which is tougher to fix. Can you say, "aluminum foil"?

ROZ
07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
"aluminum foil"? Works great as window tint. I have it all over the house glass, too :D

Shallow Minded
07-06-2004, 01:47 PM
I've just encountered a similar problem with my system. Here's the story... ran this stereo set-up all last season without a problem. Performed an engine upgrade this winter (including MSD ignition) and now it sounds like a blender. The catch: The engine doesn't have to be running; anything electrical (blower fan, power hatch, etc) will do it.
Sooo, does that eliminate the MSD as a possible source? I've reran the ground from the head unit back to the battery and that helped a little. Will do the same with the power. Do those Ground Loop Isolator's do any good? Thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Shallow Minded
Do those Ground Loop Isolator's do any good?
I try to never use them (they are more of a band-aid than a cure)...as they can take away some signal.
Ground loop isolators will help with alternator whine...but static is another animal.