PDA

View Full Version : Isn't there a law ...

91nordic29
07-06-2004, 09:42 AM
about how close you may pass an anchored boat?
we were anchored in a cove at lake pleasant to watch the fireworks on saturday night and we had a continual parade of morons circling us pulling tubes, wakeboards, etc. they were passing at about 30 feet and causing huge rollers. drinks were spilling and our tv antenna fell right of into the deep, green water! this cove wasnt designated a no wake zone but still, besides being courteous, what is the law on that. they had plenty of room to play in but had to use our "space". one man even had the gall to yell out "go somewhere else!" i showed him that he was number one. we werent the only ones anchored there.
what do you think?:mad:

copperrat20
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Should have followed them until they parked. Then pulled their plug!:mad: But keep that between us!;)

yates9
07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
We were out at Pleasent for the fireworks also, and it was rough. Seeing what was going on at the 10 lane boat ramps was interesting.

91nordic29
07-06-2004, 09:51 AM
a friend here at work said it took the from 9:30 to 12:30 to get out of the marina parking/exit.
it sure was nice to know we didnt have to pull out until sunday!:cool:

HCS
07-06-2004, 09:55 AM
If your anchored by a beach it's 200 feet.
If your anchored in the middle of a waterway. I don't think it matters.
Except for common courtesy.

91nordic29
07-06-2004, 10:06 AM
they were idiots.
maybe this applies: 5-343. Speed restrictions; excessive wake
No person shall operate a watercraft in excess of the posted limit or at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person or other watercraft, swamping other watercraft or otherwise endangering the lives or property of other persons.
then there was a man on a lake lice, his wife facing backwards towing thier kid on a wakeboard. not only did they come to close, but it was a little amusing because when the kid was up, the woman held the ski flag up. when he was down, she put the flag down. it is a wonder that one of the other morons didnt run her kid over.

Powerquestboy
07-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Thats pretty much why everyone that wants to relax doesnt go to pleasant because its chaos all the time. The wakeboarders and tubers have no choice but to retreat to the coves because the water is so rough from the big boats in the main channels. Sometimes I'm in a powerboat and I hate all the wakeboarders and jet skis but sometimes I'm wakeboarding and hate all the powerboats, the fisherman hate everyone!
If your looking for a nice relaxing afternoon sipping martini's, lake pleasant is the wrong place to be, especially on a holiday weekend.

spectratoad
07-06-2004, 10:12 AM
It is just common courtesy. We were at Shasta a couple weeks ago and about 8 of us were anchored on the beach and there was not a posted speed. Most people cruised by at a distance, a couple of wakeboard boats went by and did their big wake tour, idiots. The Sheriff went by and kept a distance and slowed to minor wake speed.
I don't think there is a law but I do slow around anchored boats.

HM
07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by spectratoad
It is just common courtesy. We were at Shasta a couple weeks ago and about 8 of us were anchored on the beach and there was not a posted speed. Most people cruised by at a distance, a couple of wakeboard boats went by and did their big wake tour, idiots. The Sheriff went by and kept a distance and slowed to minor wake speed.
I don't think there is a law but I do slow around anchored boats.
There is a law - it is either 100 ft or 50 ft. Lake lice can be closer - it might be 25 ft. We will probably hear from BoatCop.

HavasuDreamin'
07-06-2004, 10:26 AM
In the state of Michigan there is a law. 150' according to the cop who pulled me over about 2 years ago.
I believe the law will vary by state/county, etc.

spectratoad
07-06-2004, 10:33 AM
California Boat Reg's
Speed Limits and Reckless Operation:
No person shall use any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person.
Every owner, operator, or person in command of any vessel propelled by machinery is guilty of a misdemeanor who uses it, or permits it to be used, at a speed in excess of five miles per hour in any portion of the following areas not otherwise regulated by local rules and regulations:
Within 100 feet of any person who is engaged in the act of bathing. A person engaged in the sport of water skiing shall not be considered as engaged in the act of bathing for the purposes of this section.
Within 200 feet of any of the following:
A beach frequented by bathers.
A swimming float, diving platform, or lifeline.
A way or landing float to which boats are made fast or which is being used for the embarkation or discharge of passengers.
Nevada Boat Regs
Unlawful Operation of Vessel
Do not operate at a speed in excess of 5 knots in the following areas:
Within 100 feet of a swimmer
Within 200 feet of any:
Beach frequented by bathers
Swimming float, diving platform or lifeline
Way or landing float to which vessels are made fast or which is used for the embarkation or discharge of passengers.

HavasuDreamin'
07-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Bathing? :confused: Was this law written in the 1800's? :confused:

yates9
07-06-2004, 10:48 AM
We got waited it out for hours, and got out of water around 1 AM. Whats interseting is that it takes us few minutes to load boat on trailer, and get out for the next person. But It takes some others half an hour on the lane. Maybe is because their boat is more complicated than mine! These days, it seems like theres no sence in urgency, as if theres not a line going out and around the whole boat launch.

Craig
07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Cindy, we saw you earlier in Humbug, but didn't want to hang in the back with the melee. We tossed an anchor right off to the right when you come in Humbug. Had about a dozen boats tied up. We pulled the boats at dusk and found a few spaces in the parking lot above the 10-lane. We sat in the boats on the trailer and avoided the ramp silliness :D We left as soon as the fireworks were over and it took us just about an hour and a half to get home.
Man, was the water rough that whole day or what :eek!:

91nordic29
07-06-2004, 11:00 AM
yeah, craig. randy and i went to humbug around 11 and did the same as you. we didnt want to be in the melee either. you must have been anchored just before you would have reached where we were. we anchored over in honeymoon cove for the night. i really enjoyed that. glenn (carreraelite) showed up also and we watched the nascar race and the fireworks.

GlastronGuy
07-06-2004, 11:10 AM
I believe there is a law that you are responsible for any damage your wake causes. I am not sure if it applies to anchored boats though.

HM
07-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
Bathing? :confused: Was this law written in the 1800's? :confused:
651.1. Bather definition. As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly
requires a different meaning, ‘‘bather’’ or ‘‘bathing’’ means a person floating,
swimming, wading, or bodysurfing, with or without the use of a flotation device,
including, but not limited to, floating upon or with the aid of a surfboard, paddle board,
surfmat, innertube, life preserver, or air mattress, except a flotation device which is
designed to be propelled by sail, mechanical means, power, oars, or paddle.

Scream
07-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
There is a law - it is either 100 ft or 50 ft. Lake lice can be closer - it might be 25 ft. We will probably hear from BoatCop.
I don't think the law could discriminate between types of watercraft. Technically speaking that is...I would think if there were 100' available (not the river) then it would be 100', or whatever is reasonable (key word here).
IMO
Scream

goneboatin
07-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
we were anchored in a cove at lake pleasant to watch the fireworks on saturday night and we had a continual parade of morons circling us pulling tubes, wakeboards, etc. they were passing at about 30 feet and causing huge rollers.
If you were parked to watch the fireworks, what the hell were these idiots doing pulling tubes and wakeboards in the dark?

HM
07-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Scream
I don't think the law could discriminate between types of watercraft. Technically speaking that is...I would think if there were 100' available (not the river) then it would be 100', or whatever is reasonable (key word here).
IMO
Scream
Actually, the law does discriminate as the lake lice are called personal watercraft(PWC's) - and they are allowed within 25' of each other and are not to be closer than 100' while jumping another boats wakes(just read the code). The laws discriminate all over the place - have you read the laws? (not being a smart ass to you scream, actually just amazed after reading 300+ pages of code!!). Sail boats, personal watercraft, vessels under 12 meters, vessels under 25 meters, vessels with the name of Bubbles, and etc. Most of the laws are about fees and taxes, but there is a lot about right of way.
Lake Elsinore has specific laws to PWC's and Canyon Lake outright bans them. Canyon Lake prohibits wakeboarders, knee boarders, sky skis (and other skiers below 25MPH) to further than 100' of the center of the lake. These are local laws, I know, but just an example. Shoot, Canyon Lake does not allow the use of wake modification weights or hardware (like the foil on Malibu Boats). But, it is o.k. to load the people to the max and produce the same result.
I know I read a specific law at one point as to how close a boat underway can come to a boat not underway or moored.

Scream
07-06-2004, 12:59 PM
No offense taken Holy Moly,
In the age of the tort happy over reaching ACLU, I'm amazed they haven't taken this up yet.;)
Scream

HM
07-06-2004, 01:21 PM
I hear the ACLU is putting together the "Million Lice March." :rolleyes:
BTW - this is the best sig ever!!:http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870piss_on.jpg

91nordic29
07-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
If you were parked to watch the fireworks, what the hell were these idiots doing pulling tubes and wakeboards in the dark?
this was before dark. we had gotten there early and tossed anchor, had dinner, etc,

Scream
07-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
I hear the ACLU is putting together the "Million Lice March." :rolleyes:
BTW - this is the best sig ever!!:http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870piss_on.jpg
LMAO
:D :D

Boatcop
07-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Arizona doesn't have a specific distance stated. Since this happened on Pleasant, only Arizona laws would apply.
91Nordic29 posted the applicable law regarding wakes. PWC operation is another thing. They can't be within 60 feet of another vessel and do the following:
1) Above wakeless speed
AND
a) Turn sharpely, unless to avoid a collision
or
b) Turn into and cross a wake where 1/2 of the vessel comes out of the water
or
c) Be ahead of another vessel, in a way to restrict visibility.
The catch all "Careless, Reckless, Negligent" Operation statute could also apply, if what the boats were doing could have injured persons or damaged property.

RiverDave
07-06-2004, 03:49 PM
So it's illegal to jump a wake even if your 100' off the transom of a boat on a PWC??
RD

TRIMM MANN
07-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
So it's illegal to jump a wake even if your 100' off the transom of a boat on a PWC??
RD
RD,
When are you guys going back to the lake, either Parker or Havasu:D
I need to meet up with you guys and do some drinking!

Boatcop
07-06-2004, 03:54 PM
In Arizona it's 60', by California law it's 100'. It all depends on who catches them.

91nordic29
07-06-2004, 04:02 PM
law or no, i just dont see how someone could get that close, knowing they are "rockin the boats" and keep doing it and look you straight in the face as they pass with a look that says" uh, what? very rude.:mad: