PDA

View Full Version : How do I lean sale a vehicle?

copperrat20
07-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Can anyone help me on this situation? I let a guy park a car in my yard, no writen agreement, just old fashioned $100 handshake. He pays for like 7 months and then quits paying and moved to vegas is what I heard. Hasn't payed or called for 6 months. What do I do?

Essex502
07-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by copperrat20
Can anyone help me on this situation? I let a guy park a car in my yard, no writen agreement, just old fashioned $100 handshake. He pays for like 7 months and then quits paying and moved to vegas is what I heard. Hasn't payed or called for 6 months. What do I do?
Move it out of your yard and onto the street. In a few days or weeks the city will take care of it. You might want to send a registered mail to the last known address of the person informing them "if your vehicle isn't removed from my property within..."XX" number of days, I will remove it for you" so something to that effect. If the registered mail is returned as undeliverable. Then move it.

YW82DRM
07-06-2004, 02:27 PM
According to the DMV you can do a lien sale... What you need to do is call the dmv first.... The only people I know of that can help you is
I-lien in Shingles Springs, CA
I am sure if you looked in phone book you be able to find someone in your area that does lien sales and can walk you through step by step.

copperrat20
07-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Okay - well here is the situation. Someone wants to buy it so I want to lean sale it. But I number 1. don't know his last or current address. and number 2. was told that if I sell it might get in trouble for grand theft or something. It is a brand new street rod project and has never been registered. TCI chassis- RatsGlass 33 body. It has vin numbers but I called them in and it has never been registered. What do I do?

CARGUY
07-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Shoot me a pm with your fax # and I will fax you a lien processing form from an Auto Clearance company. For minimal $ they will do
all the DMV B.S. and walk you through the lien process. My company has had to do a few of these and this company works pretty well. Like E502 said depending on how much the
vehicle is worth will determine what you want to do.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2004, 02:35 PM
How do I lien sale a house?
I have a $189K judgement against someone's house...should I move it into the street too?

copperrat20
07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I have a $189K judgement against someone's house...should I move it into the street too?
Now your talking HH!:D I got a truck we might be able to pull it with!:smilespi:

C-2
07-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
You can lien sale the house, but only if it will net you some equity after satisfying open encumbrances.
You need to give me call.

C-2
07-06-2004, 04:20 PM
copperrat
Vehicles and even pets are considered personal property in California and you must go thru a notice of abandonment process. It consists of posting the vehicle, publishing a notice of abandonment, and then you can pursue a lien sale, or dispose of the property in a manner you deem fit.
Google it to verify this info is still acccurate.
You have to be careful, or it could come back to sting you in the butt. Pushing the car to the street and having it towed - a good idea, but not in this instance since you entered into a contract to store the vehicle.
I would take CARGUY up on his offer, just be sure to explain all the circumstances to the tow company.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Now your talking HH!:D I got a truck we might be able to pull it with!:smilespi:
Cool...and I thought I was never gonna see my money!
How much can I sell it for on Ebay?
Originally posted by C-2
You need to give me call.
Do you know how to "make them an offer they can't refuse?"
BTW...BK does not affect this judgement...she already tried.

DMVQUEEN
07-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Copperrat, you can do this the hard way (yourself with the help from DMV) or you can pay a fee, like the other person said, a service to do this.
I have been in this business for over 10 years, it's really simple. You pay a fee to a company to process the lien on your behalf. They usually charge a one time fee, it takes 31 - 41 days, and the only thing you have to do is supply the information and the fee.
This can usually be done over the phone and through the mail.
Or, you can try to work with the DMV on this, my experience has been that even tho they oversee the process, they just don't know diddly.
If you are interested or have questions, no obligation, PM me and I will answer any questions, or I will give you my office number.
Good luck, and don't worry, this is SO SIMPLE it'll blow your mind.
Sara out

CAHotRodBoy
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
You don't need to do a lien sale because it is still a project and hasn't been registered or titled. The guy may have gotten an MSO with the frame (manf statement or origin) and used those numbers. I have built many street rods from scratch with no titles and it is not a car until you register it for the first time. Right now, what you have is a pile of parts, not a vehicle. You can sell them individually or as a whole. And, yes, I would be interested in what you have.
I would agree that you need to go through the attempted notification procedure though. Just as if he had left a bicycle, stereo, lounge chair or any other item /property with you. That way you are covered legally. Plus, you never know with some people. He may come back sometime, all cranked up, and want his stuff.:eek!:

CAHotRodBoy
07-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah, if it is not something I'd want to buy, I would still be more than happy to give you a ball part on what it's worth. I've been building hot rods for over 25 years and have been an NSRA Safety Inspector for 15.

Essex502
07-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Hopefully we won't see this on Judge Judy or The People's Court!:D

v-drive
07-07-2004, 05:55 AM
My .02. I have a friend that has a machine rebuilding shop. A guy dropped off a machine to have something repaired. Dan repaired and held onto the machine for awhile because the guys shop hit on hard times and finally all communication ceased. Dan continued to hold onto the machine for 7 years and finally gave up and sold the machine. This is no shit, the guy showed up 2 months later and wanted his machine and was really pissed because Dan didn't contact him. Dan offered to give the guy the money he got for the machine but the guy wanted blood. After the court proceedings Dan ended up finding him another machine rebuilding it and had to guarantee it for 2years. Watch your step when dealing with this kind of stuff or you could get burned bad.
:cool: v-drive

superdave013
07-07-2004, 06:17 AM
v drive, lol, I might have that machine. :)
If you are talking about the Dan in Orange I've done some biz with him and his son. Good guys!

v-drive
07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Yes they are. I love to argue with Dan, you can never have the last word.With the exception of our edm equipment he has just about outfitted our entire shop. It's good to know he is appreciated by other people

Infomaniac
07-07-2004, 07:33 AM
What kind of car is it? I might just take it as is.

CAHotRodBoy
07-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by v-drive
My .02. I have a friend that has a machine rebuilding shop. A guy dropped off a machine to have something repaired. Dan repaired and held onto the machine for awhile because the guys shop hit on hard times and finally all communication ceased. Dan continued to hold onto the machine for 7 years and finally gave up and sold the machine. This is no shit, the guy showed up 2 months later and wanted his machine and was really pissed because Dan didn't contact him. Dan offered to give the guy the money he got for the machine but the guy wanted blood. After the court proceedings Dan ended up finding him another machine rebuilding it and had to guarantee it for 2years. Watch your step when dealing with this kind of stuff or you could get burned bad.
:cool: v-drive
Copperat's situation is a little different because he is a private citizen, not a business. But I'd still attempt to notify with 30 days to pay and remove property. If not and he does come back someday you can always use the Clinton defence...deny, deny, deny, what car? I think if Dan had sent certified letters to the address on his paperwork (when machine was brought in) then he would have been covered.

BoatPI
07-07-2004, 12:00 PM
You should be able to start a lien. You clam to fame is unpaid storage fees and/or abandonment. It is on the form. Check DMV.CA.GOV for a form.
In CA a "short" lien in any vehicle valued under $2K (might be $2,500 now) , a long lien is a value oveer that amount. You can do it yourself, but using a lien service maybe helpful. A well known company is Ritter Lien Service. Most short liens take about 30 days, while long liens take 90 days. You need to be accurate about all of the info and the last known address of the owner. Registered letters will be sent out, and need to be retained for the DMV. In the end you will obtain a lien document from the DMV, NOT a title. The vehicle may be sold at this point. You will have to apply for a title. In this case, the DMV or ANY law enforcement officer needs to conduct a VIN verification of the VIN. A bonded VIN agent may also perform this for you.
Good luck.

copperrat20
07-07-2004, 12:04 PM
The short lien in anything under $1500 now and anything over $1500 is a long lien. Sara aka DMVQUEEN took care of everything for me today. Faxed paperwork, aranged payment, and explained everything I need to know on how to do this legally. She also takes care of registration on boats, cars, trailers etc. If you guys need something that has to do with dmv or advice on something from dmv, send DMVQUEEN a PM!