PDA

View Full Version : HDD lands 225.2 lb Bluefin Tuna

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 02:58 PM
We'll I'm back and happy to say I was one of the lucky ones.
Excell sportfishing (http://www.excelsportfishing.com/admin/pg_bigimage.php?f=40e197ea3e013)
The Story in the Log (http://thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=114356)
http://thelog.com/content/img/f114356/bigXLevans.JPG
http://www.sportsmensseafood.com/images/Rulers&Buttons/barfishjump.gif
http://www.sportsmensseafood.com/images/Animations/fisherfunny.gif
More pictures and full story to follow.
Hot (The Taco stand is open for the summer) Diggity Dog:D

spute
07-06-2004, 03:02 PM
when's the sushi party?

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by spute
when's the sushi party?
tonight;) :D :D :D
Hot (Raw Mo Bettah) Diggity Dog:cool:

Three Days Only
07-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Thats one hell of a tuna!! Shiat!!! How long did it take to get that fricken monster in? The seas looked alittle rough!!

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 03:08 PM
A little over 40 minutes pulling like a Mo Fo, and pinned to the rail for over 20 minutes only getting one crank at a time.
It kicked my ass, but I got it. It was the largest BFT ever caught on the Excell and one of only a few ever caught on a sport boat over 200lbs.
HDD:D :D :D :D

MKE - POWER
07-06-2004, 03:08 PM
HDD,
Nice BFT!!!! That is a toad. Where were you guys at?
Always love fishing that cruiseliner. Is Pat still skipper?
Mark.

copperrat20
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Buddy you are the man!!!:D

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by MKE - POWER
HDD,
Nice BFT!!!! That is a toad. Where were you guys at?
Always love fishing that cruiseliner. Is Pat still skipper?
Mark.
Pat bought his own boat and Bill bought the Pacific Queen.
We were about 220 south of Point Loma outside of Guadalupe Island.
There where 11 seiners out there and 3 helicopters trying to wrap them:mad: :mad: :mad:
HDD:cool:

carbonmarine
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
That is awesome !
Whens the BBQ / Sushi Pardy ? Going out teh havasu this weekend ?
Rick

MKE - POWER
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Last time out on the STAR, those bastards tried to wrap 'em, but we charged the center and stole the load.
I haven't seen BFT that big at Guadaloupe. That is YFT country.

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
That is awesome !
Whens the BBQ / Sushi Pardy ? Going out teh havasu this weekend ?
Rick
I'll be out the 17th with the Sashimi and Taco's.
Mark your calender's.
HDD:D

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Last time out on the STAR, those bastards tried to wrap 'em, but we charged the center and stole the load.
They were offshore from there. Alijos was pretty slow the Star bailed after a day and a half.

MKE - POWER
07-06-2004, 03:17 PM
HDD,
Was it a mixed bag of fish, or searching all over? Damn I miss that boat. I need to go check my gear.

RiverDave
07-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Holy shit that's a big fish!! :D
RD

Froggystyle
07-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
A little over 40 minutes pulling like a Mo Fo, and pinned to the rail for over 20 minutes only getting one crank at a time.
Now how much easier do you think that would have been just inviting them up on the side swimstep of a Trident? :D
Oh, and by the way... you might want to lay off the crank a little. One crank is plenty for 20 minutes I would think...
Congrats Glenn! That is an awesome haul!

Phat Matt
07-06-2004, 03:24 PM
You lucky bastard! :eek: :D

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:28 PM
man talk about funny 5 or 6 guys are going tuna fishing in a week or so. when i get to work this morning there is this pic of a huge tuna this guy is holding up behind my desk, they actually had it on 2 peices of paper stapled together.all day everyone is asking me whos is that and im like i dont frigging know.so i see this thread call up pic and see its hotdd on the other side of the fish.well half your head made the wall poster.nice fish

Froggystyle
07-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
man talk about funny 5 or 6 guys are going tuna fishing in a week or so. when i get to work this morning there is this pic of a huge tuna this guy is holding up they actually had it on 2 peices of paper stapled together.all day everyone is asking me whos is that and im like i dont frigging know.so i see this thread call up pic and see its hotdd on the other side of the fish.well half your head made teh wall poster.nice fish
I love small world coincidences!
Too funny.

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 04:37 PM
HDD,
Was it a mixed bag of fish, or searching all over? Damn I miss that boat. I need to go check my gear.
We seen BFT in the area we where in crashing the surface, there were two schools, the smaller BFT's 30-68lbs mixed in with the Albacore. Then there were the larger to extra large BFT's 150 to 350lbs from what we seen jump out of the water.
In the BFT area it was tough fishing for the entire fleet. The fish would either go down deep or bail when you slid up on them. The seiners really have the fish spread out and spooked.
The area of Albacore is absolutley the best grade I haver seen this early down South, one stop shopping for 30-lb average up to 45lbs. We were busting off 50-60lb set ups, and it was WFO.
Cedro's and Benito's Islands had quality Yellowtail fishing except the seals would eat about half of the fish so we bailed.
San Martin produced some quality Halibut up to 25lbs and lings up to 28lbs.
We also fish for some great Red snappers.
All in all it was one of the slower 8-day trips, but I could care less as I had the right Kind.

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Now how much easier do you think that would have been just inviting them up on the side swimstep of a Trident? :D
If i was fishing on the Trident I would be slow trolling my Purple Headed Scampi through the sandbar and watch the thongs and pasties boil. LOL
Thnaks Wes

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
man talk about funny 5 or 6 guys are going tuna fishing in a week or so. when i get to work this morning there is this pic of a huge tuna this guy is holding up behind my desk, they actually had it on 2 peices of paper stapled together.all day everyone is asking me whos is that and im like i dont frigging know.so i see this thread call up pic and see its hotdd on the other side of the fish.well half your head made the wall poster.nice fish
You can tell them don't worry if you guy's don't catch anything you will just give HDD a call to hook you up.;)

alfonzo
07-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Gosh...It's so....BIG!!:eek:

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by alfonzo
Gosh...It's so....BIG!!:eek:
That's what the ladies at the Sandbar said.;)

Phat Matt
07-06-2004, 04:46 PM
That's what the ladies at the Sandbar said.;)
So you catch big tuna at the sandbar too? :p :D

BoatFloating
07-06-2004, 05:06 PM
I'll be out the 17th with the Sashimi and Taco's.
Mark your calender's.
D Row will be there and in full effect. Have the Sashimi ready.......

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
D Row will be there and in full effect. Have the Sashimi ready.......
You know the Beach;) :p

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2004, 05:20 PM
All I gotta say is that 225lbs is alot of tuna...
...was she blonde or brunette?

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
All I gotta say is that 225lbs is alot of tuna...
...was she blonde or brunette?
HH are you at the lake the 16th-18th for the fish dealio??
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/Hottie/POTD/6fishing.jpeg

CEO
07-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Great Tuna HDD!, but the picture you posted above are the "Tunas" I like best. Great fish
CEO

BoatFloating
07-06-2004, 05:38 PM
You know the Beach;) :p
Right in our neighbor hood. I've told some of the D Rowers and they can't wait to try the famous HHD feast. April asked if we can bring anything, please ask.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2004, 05:44 PM
HH are you at the lake the 16th-18th for the fish dealio??
Actually...I think I'm heading to Catalina that weekend...so eat some tuna for me! :eek:

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Actually...I think I'm heading to Catalina that weekend...so eat some tuna for me! :eek:
I'm sure the D row boyz will do some damage.
Catch ya on the next one!

hd&boatrider
07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Congrats HDD...I can't even imagine the thrill of landing something that big. Must be one hell of a rush

hot_diggity_dog
07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Right in our neighbor hood. I've told some of the D Rowers and they can't wait to try the famous HHD feast. April asked if we can bring anything, please ask.
Rocky I'll give ya a call prior to the trip!;)

Mrs. Restless22
07-06-2004, 08:39 PM
:eek: That is a big frikin fish!!:eek:
I dont ever want to swim in the ocean again :D

OGShocker
07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Congrats HDD!
Toro for everyone!?!

KineticoH20
07-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Nice BFT my biggest is 211, i'll be on a 5 day on the Searcher soon!

Raskal
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
dam nice fish .
I can't wait to go i am going on the pacific queen the end of the month over night trip . my boss's are takeing about 30 guys. went last year and had a blast .

Charley
07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Glen
Does this mean smoked sushi on the party cat the whole summer??? LOL
Niice!!

Rexone
07-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Guadalupe used to be the place famous for large bluefin then they pretty much disappeared for a long time at it became a YF only area it seems with YF in the moderate size range. Glad to hear the BF are back and nice catch HDD. Back in 95 I was fortuante to hit a 155, and a 145 within an hour of each other and 1000 lbs of BF for the day on the Q105. My best day tuna fishin to date and still quite a memory, needless to say I was a bit tired that night.
Again congrats, very nice catch. That one will go down in the history books no doubt, what a monster.

hot_diggity_dog
07-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Smthopr8tr
Nice BFT my biggest is 211, i'll be on a 5 day on the Searcher soon!
Congrats on the 200lb club so you know how hard the Fockers pull!
:eek: :eek: ;) :D
Good luck on the 5-day:)

hot_diggity_dog
07-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Charley
Glen
Does this mean smoked sushi on the party cat the whole summer??? LOL
Niice!!
I think that would be a big 10-4 all summer long .

hot_diggity_dog
07-07-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
Guadalupe used to be the place famous for large bluefin then they pretty much disappeared for a long time at it became a YF only area it seems with YF in the moderate size range. Glad to hear the BF are back and nice catch HDD. Back in 95 I was fortuante to hit a 155, and a 145 within an hour of each other and 1000 lbs of BF for the day on the Q105. My best day tuna fishin to date and still quite a memory, needless to say I was a bit tired that night.
Again congrats, very nice catch. That one will go down in the history books no doubt, what a monster.
Mike it soundfs like I had your 95 trip last year as I had back to back 121# & 122# and a couple hours later landed a 156# for the JP.
It's such a rush you can't explain, you can only experience it!:wink: :D
That was some fishing Mike!:D

hot_diggity_dog
07-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Here's a link to how rare it is to catch BFT over 200 lbs off the So Cal Coast on rod and reel.
And the largest caught this year was by a Female angler at 254lbs, this is probaly a record as well.
Link (http://www.fishingvideos.com/currentinfo.htm)
HDD:cool:;)

Ducatista
07-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Awsome tuna HDD! Just curious, is there is a difference in taste when it comes to BFT or YF or Albacore? What a great way to treat your hungry friends at the river, very nice! :cool:

copperrat20
07-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Ya HDD, I want to know if the meat taste the same.

hot_diggity_dog
07-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista
Awsome tuna HDD! Just curious, is there is a difference in taste when it comes to BFT or YF or Albacore? What a great way to treat your hungry friends at the river, very nice! :cool:
Albacore-also know as long fins. All white flaky meat not real fishy, great BBQed or canned.
YFT-quality grade meat for sashimi but not prefered, is more oily than Albacore.
BFT- Know as the most prized fish for sashimi. BFT's have sold for as high as $80,000.00 dollars for one fish in Japan. Most of these BFT's are netted and raised until they can get the right price. I will post on this later.
BFT- the meats is translucent like jello and is absolutely Killer fresh.
Hot (AKA "Sashimi") Diggity Dog

CA Stu
07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
That baby is the fish of a lifetime. Congrats!
CA Stu <-- Catches mackerel that big. If you tape 'em all together.

rvrhlic
07-07-2004, 04:15 PM
DAMN!! Nice fish - i am jealous, my big one last year was 150 on the AA. I am heading out in 2 weeks onthe Angler for 5 days. seeing that photos is getting me excited, hope they stick around.

rrrr
07-07-2004, 04:18 PM
No one likes a showoff. :D :D
But d*mn, what a fine fish. Nice goin', HDD

Rexone
07-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Check it out... (http://thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=114356)

mtndewdrops
07-07-2004, 08:33 PM
HDD, you are living large with that kind of haul. You must have 3 freezers in your garage.
Congratulations

MikeF
07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
NICE FISH H.D.D.!
I choose not to tangle w/ fish that BIG.
Good show! :D :cool:

hot_diggity_dog
07-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks Guy's!!!!:D :D
For those of you who don't know, I usually have fresh fish Taco's on my boat every trip, so If you see the grill going just stop on buy and introduce yourself, and see what all of the buzz is about for yourself on the HDD Floating Taco stand!!
http://www.sportsmensseafood.com/images/Rulers&Buttons/barfishjump.gif
http://www.sportsmensseafood.com/images/Animations/fisherfunny.gif

Jordy
07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
see what all of the buzz is about for yourself on the HDD Floating Taco stand!!
I keep telling Jim Anderson he needs to get rollin' on the floating taco stand but he doesn't listen.
I was telling some of my co-workers about the fish today and their jaws about hit the ground. They wanted to know all the details so I forwarded them the articles.
Great fish Glen. Look forward to some tacos from that bad boy. :D

24ROD
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Congrads Glen:cool: