PDA

View Full Version : Where will it end?

68campbell
07-07-2004, 02:13 PM
I saw the first crash, no alcohol involved just kids jetskiing too fast in a crowded area.
The second one killed was camped next to me, what they don't mention is that the guy on the jetski was hammered and messing around in front of the campground with people yelling at him to park it before he headed down river.
River accidents reported
By Recorder Staff
Two separate watercraft accidents last week left two dead near Kingsburg.
Both accidents happened over the Fourth of July weekend and both involved the collision of personal watercrafts with boats.
In the first accident, Megan Baptista and Whitney Sonksen, both of Kingsburg, were on a personal watercraft near the Kings River Golf and Country Club, when it was struck by a boat around 5:30 p.m. Sunday. Both women suffered major injuries and were airlifted to University Medical Center in Fresno.
Sonksen later passed away and Baptista is still recuperating at the hospital.
The second accident occurred just before midnight Sunday. In that accident, a 21-year-old Porterville man suffered massive head injuries when his personal watercraft collided with a 20-foot ski boat.
Tulare County sheriff's deputies identified the victim as Luis Ortega. Detectives said Ortega was riding his craft down the river near Kingsburg Gun Club without lights. He collided with the ski boat, which was moving upstream, and was thrown from his craft, striking his head.
The boat's driver, identified by investigators as James Earl McNeil, 31, of the Visalia area, was arrested and booked into Tulare County Jail on charges of boating under the influence of alcohol, deputies said.

Lake Pirate
07-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I guess I only hear the bad in lieu of the good on this forum... but man, it sounds like y'all have one dangerous ass lake!
If something isn't done about drinking and boating the gov will do it for us. Maybe y'all can form some kind of citizens coalition to help curb some of the behavior? It looks like the performance boaters have a grip but the others have a real problem with understanding water safety issues. Don't get all huffy I only know what I read on here.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Lake Pirate
I guess I only hear the bad in lieu of the good on this forum... but man, it sounds like y'all have one dangerous ass lake!
These accidents did not happen at Lake Havasu, they happened in the Kings River area in Central California.

Jetdriver
07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
I held on to Whitney till the boat with a fireman and a back board arrived. I had requested a back board from the sheriff to which he replied that he didnt carry one. I asked another boater to go back to Royal Oak and get one, and he did. I was also there when they brought Megan back. I really thought that Megan was much worse than Whitney. A girl that was there did make a call to Whitneys mom to let her know what had happened. I read the article this morning and cant help but wonder why. Why didnt the sheriff have a back board? Why is it she was the one that was talking and somewhat alert and yet she is the one that died. Really has put a bummer on my day. Hey 68 I waved to you numerous times this weekend. Maybe next time we will get a chance to chat.
Shawn :frown:
PS. Triple threat is badass!

Lake Pirate
07-07-2004, 02:34 PM
This thread is way sad.

91nordic29
07-07-2004, 02:36 PM
so the man driving the ski boat gets arrested even though he was not at fault?

1stepcloser
07-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
so the man driving the ski boat gets arrested even though he was not at fault?
Whether or not he was at fault.....he was arrested for OUI.

JetBoatRich
07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Very sad news, alot of lives changed :(
Shawn sounds like something you would do, good to hear you were there to help.

HalletDave
07-07-2004, 02:55 PM
The second accident occurred just before midnight Sunday. In that accident, a 21-year-old Porterville man suffered massive head injuries when his personal watercraft collided with a 20-foot ski boat.
Who in their right mind rides a PWC at midnight without lights?
I would be willing to say alcohol probably came into play here as well.
Shawn,
You did all the right things. Do not blame yourself in any way.
Give ma a call this evening if you have the time.

Jetdriver
07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Ill tell you Rich, I came around the corner right after it happened. I was on my Seadoo and rode right up to other ski that Whitney was clinging to. The girl said to call 911. I raced back to camp where I beached the ski probably 3 feet out of the water. I started to ask someone to call 911 and they said they already had, thats when I noticed Megan in the bow of the other boat bleeding from face and ears. There was a nurse attending to her almost immediatly. I rode back out and found that they had WHitney on the side of the river with just 2 guys holding her and a bunch of boats around. I stuffed the ski into the brush and started to help. Made for a very long day, when all was said and done and I got back to camp I felt like I was going to pass out just from being tired! Really a bummer of a 4th

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2004, 03:50 PM
This is tragic news. Thank you for doing whatever you could to help these people. You did the right thing and your actions are appreciated.

welk2party
07-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Regardless of fault, this is VERY SAD! We all need to remind ourselves to respect our machines. My dad alway taught me that the minute you do not respect your machine and the way you operate it, it is gonna bite ya.
EVERYONE PLEASE BE SAFE! I WANT TO SEE VERYONE AT THE LAKE AND NOT THE MORGUE!

eliminatedsprinter
07-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Very sad news, alot of lives changed :(
Shawn sounds like something you would do, good to hear you were there to help.
I agree.
Hey Rich
This just makes me further think of what we narrowly missed on saturday afternoon at isabella. I have to admit that rattled me.

68campbell
07-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Jetboat,
I saw you helping the girl, you were in the water a long time. I was talking to the family in the boat that was involved, they were very shaken up.
The sheriffs on the river are pretty bad, all the really care about is how much you had to drink, I got stopped 2x and that was their only question.
On a lighter note, when are you heading back up to the river? I'm not sure the schiada will be there, we're building a new motor for it, the 496cid is too small.

Jetdriver
07-08-2004, 08:36 AM
We are headed back to Kingsburg in a few weeks, not taking the boat for that trip though. I would like to get back on the water before it gets to shallow though. We'll have to meet up next time! :)