PDA

View Full Version : If you could build a 28' cat from scratch...

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
what features would you like most? Would it be open bow? closed bow? Canopied? No canopies? Cabin area for sleeping? sitting? ice chest?
What designs and features would you like best? This 28' could also support twins.
This is a serious boating related question, but it is ***boat so I know jokes and thread jacking is inevitable. :D
What would you like?

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Uhhhh...why do you ask?

KineticoH20
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I would like a 28' cat walk through with a lot of seating, single engine 600 hp, nothing special other than a wicked gl coat and a custom stereo, just very comfortable.

ROZ
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
This is a serious boating related question, but it is ***boat so I know jokes and thread jacking is inevitable. :D
What would you like?
I'd buy a one that had never get old subserviant stripers :)

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Uhhhh...why do you ask?
Because everyones input here can help build or not build a new 28 cat. All this info will be put to use.

Kilrtoy
04-05-2006, 07:23 PM
CLOSED BOW, 625 Vipers and this is a good start
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/4724366/82200896_1.jpg

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd buy a one that had never get old subserviant stripers :)
They have "stripers" in Havasu. Maybe you want a bass boat. :D

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Do us all a favor and resize that monster pic!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Because everyones input here can help build or not build a new 28 cat. All this info will be put to use.
I think your answers are going vary depending on what someone wants to use it for. Very tough to try and please everyone..

GHT
04-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Mine would be an E-ticket.... that looks like this..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC00196_2_.JPG
But then I would have to sell this...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3042Pics_Spring_05_to_Nov_05_098.jpg
Sorry if the PIC IS TOO BIG.. :D :D :hammer2:

ROZ
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Okay, you're serious...
I want one with 1200hp and that can be insured for 1500 per year :)

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I think your answers are going vary depending on what someone wants to use it for. Very tough to try and please everyone..
I understand that. That is why I would like to see lots of opinions. Their are plenty of 28 cats out there but what you do to make if different or better? The bottom has already been proven so the performance will be there. What creature comforts and styling would you like.
There are no wrong answers. It's all you opinions. I know everyone has them. Let's see them.
And dammit Kilr, make that pic smaller! It's as big as your head. ;)

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Mine would be an E-ticket.... that looks like this..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC00196_2_.JPG
But then I would have to sell this...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3042Pics_Spring_05_to_Nov_05_098.jpg
Sorry if the PIC IS TOO BIG.. :D :D :hammer2:
:D
Ok. But what about a regular cat, not a deck?
That is a pretty sweet looking boat though if I do say myself. :)

Goodtime$
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I love the F29-F32 and the 29 Force. The 27 Ultra has killer storage etc and Eticket deck is ahead on style function etc and the 28 skater twin 300x.
But im lazy and would rather pay cash. So for under 95k I can
build a walk through loaded with a mild chevy in there/xr drive done.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/214227_nemesis_026.jpg

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Okay, you're serious...
I want one with 1200hp and that can be insured for 1500 per year :)
Call these guys.
www.iwsf.us
:D

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I love the F29-F32 and the 29 Force. The 27 Ultra has killer storage etc and Eticket deck is ahead on style function etc and the 28 skater twin 300x.
But im lazy and would rather pay cash. So for under 95k I can
build a walk through loaded with a mild chevy in there/xr drive done.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/214227_nemesis_026.jpg
Price is an opinion as well as storage. That's what I am talking about.
Throw deck boats out of it though. Just a 28 cat.

Speedin' Ian
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
closed bow, twin engine, some sort of canopy or windshield that doesn't distort your vision, seating for six, built in self draining ice chest, sick stereo, small generator, easy access storage, etc...

MagicMtnDan
04-05-2006, 07:56 PM
All I know is I want one as big as the picture that Kilrtoy posted :D

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 07:59 PM
closed bow, twin engine, some sort of canopy or windshield that doesn't distort your vision, seating for six, built in self draining ice chest, sick stereo, small generator, easy access storage, etc...
Thanks. All very do-able. :)

Jrocket
04-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Kilr....whos DCB is that?
Closed bow
small area under bow for kids/family to get out of sun/storage
2-twin turbo motors and #6 drives
light hull
moderate stereo
cannopies
make it a 29 and have DCB build it

BOBALOO
04-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I like how you linked the words "cat" and "scratch" in the title.:D

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I like how you linked the words "cat" and "scratch" in the title.:D
I wondered if anybody would say anything about that. :D

BOBALOO
04-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I would like a 28' cat walk through with a lot of seating, single engine 600 hp, nothing special other than a wicked gl coat and a custom stereo, just very comfortable.
Make that a LARGE custom stereo,genny,and a panel of some kind to block the wind coming thru from the open bow for speed runs.
Oh and autopilot like the airplanes.

TOBTEK
04-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Kilr....whos DCB is that?
Closed bow
small area under bow for kids/family to get out of sun/storage
2-twin turbo motors and #6 drives
light hull
moderate stereo
cannopies
make it a 29 and have DCB build it
jrocket......... this is a new boat in stock at Extreme back east. its in the online trader.

Jrocket
04-05-2006, 08:35 PM
jrocket......... this is a new boat in stock at Extreme back east. its in the online trader.
Took a perfectly awesome boat and cut a frign hole in the bow! :rolleyes:

Run_em_Hard
04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I think that we are getting some good ideas here...I would have to say closed bow, have to have enought room to sleep in, twin vipers or some teague 800's(something similar) and some drives that could handle the power with ease. Cannopies. Stereo...something like four 12" subs under, four or six 6x9's in the cockpit and a 15" flipdown flatscreen in the cabin. Awesome colors is a must. Hide away bimini is a must, like the DCB's. Shit I better stop now before this thing gets to be three pages long.

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I think that we are getting some good ideas here...I would have to say closed bow, have to have enought room to sleep in, twin vipers or some teague 800's(something similar) and some drives that could handle the power with ease. Cannopies. Stereo...something like four 12" subs under, four or six 6x9's in the cockpit and a 15" flipdown flatscreen in the cabin. Awesome colors is a must. Hide away bimini is a must, like the DCB's. Shit I better stop now before this thing gets to be three pages long.
Power and drives can be whatever you want. They really aren't the issue as that can be changed easily from buyer to buyer. Colors and gel are the same. They will change from buyer to buyer.
From this I take the hide away bimini and a place to sleep comfortably. Thanks! :)

Run_em_Hard
04-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Dude...also if it is a closed bow make sure that you can completely close the cabin, none of this fully open shit. People that want to sleep on thier boats want to be able to keep the BATS and BUGS out at night. Preferably something like what big Cig's use. Fiberglass door custom painted to match that can slide away and hide but quality high enough that it doesn't rattle while you ride.

spectras only
04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I've always liked Talon boats . I would start with a blank hull and do the rest myself :) .
http://www.powerboatmag.com/2003tests/may3.php

Charley
04-05-2006, 08:59 PM
best use of black in a boat paint job in a long time though ;)

Phat Matt
04-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Dude...also if it is a closed bow make sure that you can completely close the cabin, none of this fully open shit. People that want to sleep on thier boats want to be able to keep the BATS and BUGS out at night. Preferably something like what big Cig's use. Fiberglass door custom painted to match that can slide away and hide but quality high enough that it doesn't rattle while you ride.
Nice. Keep up the suggestions. As I get more I will combine them all and see what we come up with.

TOBTEK
04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Took a perfectly awesome boat and cut a frign hole in the bow! :rolleyes:
I totally agree with you on the hard deck looking the best. BUT sure is nice and user friendly to have the extra room, not walk over the dash to get out then walk on the deck and scratch it up. And run the risk of breaking your ass when ya slip up there. I'll give up the few MPH for EASY. Plus its a good place for rocky to sleep :)

Run_em_Hard
04-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I have tonz more...nice docking lights, flush mounted. And the lights for night driving, the green and red ones, make those flush mounts too. With staying to the closed bow at least have an opening, hatch thing. Whatever you want to call them. They are real nice to have. Make them so they open and close tight enough to seal and also strong enough to walk on(if thats possible).

GAME TIME
04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Since I was recently in the market for a 28 Cat, I'll tell you what I was looking at and for. I wanted a good size open bow with a mid cuddy that was use-able. I also wanted a boat that had twins. Getting a good deal on the price was also something that made my decision. I narrowed it down to three. Domn8er, DCB, and Eliminator. Domn8er had the most room in the mid cuddy and open bow but did not come in twins. They also do not have windshields (which was not a factor when I was looking but now definitely glad I have them). DCB didn't have the size open bow or mid cuddy I was looking for. It was a close call between DCB and Eliminator but I went with Eliminator. Love the size of the open bow, mid cuddy, windshields, twins, speed (496 mag HO's), gel coat, dash lay out, design and most of all the deal I got was awesome.

RiverOtter
04-06-2006, 03:07 AM
I would make a 28' deck cat with canopies and an enclosure under the passenger and driver consoles. One would have a head compartment and the other cabin / storage. I also like the design of the Howard with the door that closes off the bow cutting down on the wind. I would have a real swim platform as well.

shadow
04-06-2006, 06:00 AM
what features would you like most? Would it be open bow? closed bow? Canopied? No canopies? Cabin area for sleeping? sitting? ice chest?
What designs and features would you like best? This 28' could also support twins.
What would you like?
:idea: So Are we talking some new ideas for a new E Ticket?

Phat Matt
04-06-2006, 08:21 AM
:idea: So Are we talking some new ideas for a new E Ticket?
Possibly. If the market and ideas are there. It could happen. :)

Jbb
04-06-2006, 08:44 AM
A 28 ft version of this would be nice... :)
http://images.snapfish.com/34634%3C%3B46%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3255%3E4%3B2%3E983%3E WSNRCG%3D32335365443%3B%3Anu0mrj

kanedog
04-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Naturally aspirated 525's w/ #6's. no reliability issues. Open bow, canopies, stereo, built in garbage can, heavier layup so I can smash thru waves without hoping for no delamination.

phebus
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
I think I would try to bring it to market at an affordable price. It's nice to have everything, but the one upping by boat builders is getting ridiculous, and putting new boats out of most peoples reach. When people can't keep tapping their home equity, the boat industry is going to be hurting, and the manufacturer that has already spec'd out an affordable boat is going to have an extreme advantage, and the rest will be left holding the bag.......

riverracerx
04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
I would tell you exactly what I want. Which is unlike anything out there now. But then the builder won't build it and let me have the first one for a nice discount! ;)

Phat Matt
04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I would tell you exactly what I want. Which is unlike anything out there now. But then the builder won't build it and let me have the first one for a nice discount! ;)
This is your chance to be heard. :)

KROOZIN
04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I guess if I were them, I'd take the RC bottom, make it a walk through (big guys don't want to crawl under) so you could use the luxury cat windshields (they look cool). I think the open bow would sell more, plus they already have the RC for the closed deck people. Build in an overhang type swim step, not bolt on.
I like the hidden bimini and ice chest ideas, maybe a storage compartment with hose by the bow to wash feet off. Bench back seat and 2 buckets, plus front lounges. That's about all you could want :cool:
(oh, and more freeboard than the RC)
{they could name it their fever model...lol}
http://eticketboats.com/images/luxury-cat-020.jpg

Havasu47
04-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Matt, you know my boat. I would have never thought I would have an open bow cat. BUT, now I am really happy I do. There is always someone up front and room for more is nice. I dont like crawling under the dash to get there, but I would never have a walk through for looks and stability.
As you know twins are great. I am going to upgrade the motors to 540's and do some drive height experimenting. Good stereo, built in ice chests, all I need..... almost. :D

phebus
04-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I personally don't like built in ice chests, I hate transfering everything in and out of the boat. What I think works better is dedicated spots for soft sided coolers.
I also like trash containers on a boat, I hate trash bags out on an expensive boat. Looks ghetto

andy01
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Cat or deck boat? A Cat as a open bow......... is just the number one way to ruin a good boat. If I was building one it would be sleek, fast, great layup for ocean or lake, capped, with great finishing touchs, it would be a 1/4 canopy, with 700 hp a side it would run 130 mph........ hmmmm come to thinking of it I just designed a 30' Skater.......... never mind. But if it had to be single engine then it would be a cross between a F-29 and the new Top Cat closed deck. Would work well with a #6 or arneson and work very well with all the above mentioned stuff. F' storage, I don't need to live the mother f'er I just want to run it.
Andy

KROOZIN
04-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Cat or deck boat? A Cat as a open bow......... is just the number one way to ruin a good boat. If I was building one it would be sleek, fast, great layup for ocean or lake, capped, with great finishing touchs, it would be a 1/4 canopy, with 700 hp a side it would run 130 mph........ hmmmm come to thinking of it I just designed a 30' Skater.......... never mind. But if it had to be single engine then it would be a cross between a F-29 and the new Top Cat closed deck. Would work well with a #6 or arneson and work very well with all the above mentioned stuff. F' storage, I don't need to live the mother f'er I just want to run it.
Andy
or could be AMT's new one....?

Havasu47
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
or could be AMT's new one....?
Don't you have bacon to fry??? :D

KROOZIN
04-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Don't you have bacon to fry??? :D
I wasn't sure if that was you.... ;)
hows it goin Bri? Don't you have a boat to rig? :D

Havasu47
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I wasn't sure if that was you.... ;)
hows it goin Bri? Don't you have a boat to rig? :D
What's up Dan? As a matter of fact I do!!! LMAO
When are you going to Hav again?

BADBLOWN572
04-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Well, it would definitely have to depend on the amount of $$$ is budgeted. The more money, the better it is.
I would definitely include:
Twin engines
Full Hydraulic Steering
Bow shower
Hidden Bimini
Fiberglass seat backs on billet bases
Side pods on interior
Definitely an interior interliner versus wooden
Closed bow
Sea strainers for each engine
Killer stereo
Polished SS courtesy lights
M&M billet shifter
Center steer with twin helms
In dash GPS system
grab handles for each interior passenger (I don't like rear bolsters because it is nice to lay down)
Capped all the way around
Bed up front under bow
Now if it was my boat, I would incorporate the following (If I hit powerball)
Weisman drives
Carson Brumett twin turbo motors
Insane paint job
vacuum bagged infusion or pre-preg resins
I think that I would be one of the only people with a $600k 28' boat but it would be bad ass. :)

Dave C
04-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Canopies.
twin 625 vipers
open bow
midcabin
multiple channel stereo with generator
monster guages
billet controls
etc etc.
If I could afford the insurance, twin blower motors ;)

KROOZIN
04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
What's up Dan? As a matter of fact I do!!! LMAO
When are you going to Hav again?
the poker run weekend...you comin up? I'd love to take you for a spin ;) no hands of course.. :cry:

littlejake
04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I would take a Daytona Tall deck with 525's

Havasu47
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
the poker run weekend...you comin up? I'd love to take you for a spin ;) no hands of course.. :cry:
I'll be there and I'm holding you to that ride... I'll buy drinks after :rollside:

KROOZIN
04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
I'll be there and I'm holding you to that ride... I'll buy drinks after :rollside:
alright, I'm holding you to those drinks.... :D

Phat Matt
04-06-2006, 03:29 PM
The ideas are looking great. Keep it up. :)

Phat Matt
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
i AM GETTING SOME GREAT IDEAS FOR MY BOAT THAT IS BEING BUILT :)
Thanks Matt
np

acatitude
04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
if i could build a 28 cat from scratch id buy a 36 nortech

Phat Matt
04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Would you be more interested in a boat with a single or a twin?
What price range would you like to see?

USCFAN
04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Definetly twins. How about price comparible to a 21 foot bayliner? :rollside:

KROOZIN
04-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Do they want a partner?

Bling Bling
04-11-2006, 09:15 PM
After ridding in Your E-Ticket this past weekend, I'd just not make it an open bow and be done. Maybe some Vippers would be nice. :D Again, that boat has a shit load to offer.

Jrocket
04-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I think that I would be one of the only people with a $600k 28' boat but it would be bad ass. :)
Naaaa,I'd take one too.