PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post & Need Lake Mead Advice

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Ok, I've got an educationial siminar in Flagstaff so I'm turning the trip into a family thing. We will be flying into Vegas on a Monday night, renting a car and driving to Lake Mead and want to rent a boat for an all dayer on Tuesday. Any advice on what resort? Also, I'm not the kind to rent some piece of crap toon. Any advice on a good boat rental? Please keep in mind I'll have to drive to Flagstaff on Wednesday morning for a 12PM class so it looks like I need to be close to the Dam:confused: ??

OGShocker
07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the JUNGLE!
Others will help with MEAD. I just wanted to welcome y'all the the forums.:D

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Thanks! Jungle is right! That's why I'm taking the fam to Lake Mead on a Tueaday. I've seen the pics from all the weekend stuff that goes on.

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Welcome!
I have been to Lake Mead twice, and can give you info about our trips, but.........Titties and Beer is the guy you want to talk to.
We stayed at the Hacienda, kinda overlooks Lake Mead. Las Vegas Marina rents boats for the day. They have pontoon as well as little "sea ray" type boats. Be carefull, the lake is low and there are "sneaky" rocks.....
:D

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks, Deb. I'd hate to buy an outdrive for a little Sea Ray.

Spotondl
07-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Echo Bay has more selection when it comes to boat rentals. It is on the Overton fork so it is a bit out of the way from the dam but the conditions in the narrows, if they are still there with the low water levels, are pretty good even when the wind kicks up... The main fork though gets pretty crazy if the wind is up... 3 and 4 foot wind chop.... sometimes higher...

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Our friends hit a rock that was just below the surface, you couldn't see it, luckly they were at a wakeless speed, but the scarey thing is, you could not see the rock.
Later when we were tubing the kids by Hallet Beach, we saw a rock that was about 6 inches out of the water, it was flat and hard to see.
The lake is going down so fast, they can't mark all the hazzards.

dirty old man
07-08-2004, 07:38 AM
After you pass the toll gate, turn towards Hemminway Harbor, about half way to the launch ramp, turn right on the paved road and go to Las Vegas Bay Marina. They have lots of different kinds of rentals and are very friendly there. Good restaurant and store as well. If the wind is down, you can see a lot of the lake from a small boat. Don't miss the dam its less than 3 miles. Be sure to get a map. If the wind comes up in the PM, get back towards the marina. I'm a 40 year veteran of Lake Mead and tell you lots of stories. Have fun and be careful.

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Spotondl
Echo Bay has more selection when it comes to boat rentals. It is on the Overton fork so it is a bit out of the way from the dam but the conditions in the narrows, if they are still there with the low water levels, are pretty good even when the wind kicks up... The main fork though gets pretty crazy if the wind is up... 3 and 4 foot wind chop.... sometimes higher...
Echo Bay is about an hour away (by road) from the main entrance to Lake Mead......But I think there is another way in................but if you are coming from Vegas, it would be an hour on the road.
It is closer to Hallet Beach from Echo Bay and you don't have to go through the narrows.
Oh, I know why don't you try ........there is a Las Vegas Boat Forum also, can't remember the name of it...

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 07:49 AM
So Deb.... what you are saying is... look out for rocks or you'll be DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!! (http://www.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/dramawm.html?link=4)

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
So Deb.... what you are saying is... look out for rocks or you'll be DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!! (http://www.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/dramawm.html?link=4)
Yes rocks are bad!;)

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Dang! Rocks, wind, low water... I just wanted to boat. Is there another lake convenient to Vegas and Flagstaff. I know the two are 250 miles apart. I'm flying into Vegas because of Sky Miles. Couldn't get anything into Phoenix. I was thinking Vegas and Mead are so close that it would make the best use of our time. I will have all day Saturday and Sunday to play buy my 6 & 8 year old want to see the Grand Conyon.

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Lake Mead is awsome. Uncrowded and big. It is just that the wind comes up at certain times (or days) you never know. And the lake is low, so you need to look out for rocks. It is my favorite place to go so far this summer. :D

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the forum RiverOtter. :)

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks, FM

Trash
07-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Don't let the low water levels spook you. There are many parts of the lake 100's of feet deep. Buy a good Fish n' Ski map, note the current water elevation (around 1134') and then compare against the map water level (I think its referenced to around 1210'). From there you can look at the charted depth, see where the shoreline actually is and where any new obstacles may be lurking.
Don't hug the shoreline, especially where the land appears to have a shallow or flat approach. This usually means it carries on that way out to the water causing a shallow area.
As far as rentals go, I'm not sure you're going to find anything very nice, but I tend to be a little picky in these regards. The pontoon boats are just that, basic pontoon boats. The 'sea ray' boats are not Sea Ray boats at all, but vee bottomed fiberglass hulls with outboard motors. The interiors are pretty basic (i.e. Flintstone like). For a quick day trip to the dam you could probably still have a good time. I just wouldn't venture too far.
Good luck.

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Trash
Don't let the low water levels spook you. There are many parts of the lake 100's of feet deep. Buy a good Fish n' Ski map, note the current water elevation (around 1134') and then compare against the map water level (I think its referenced to around 1210'). From there you can look at the charted depth, see where the shoreline actually is and where any new obstacles may be lurking.
Don't hug the shoreline, especially where the land appears to have a shallow or flat approach. This usually means it carries on that way out to the water causing a shallow area.
As far as rentals go, I'm not sure you're going to find anything very nice, but I tend to be a little picky in these regards. The pontoon boats are just that, basic pontoon boats. The 'sea ray' boats are not Sea Ray boats at all, but vee bottomed fiberglass hulls with outboard motors. The interiors are pretty basic (i.e. Flintstone like). For a quick day trip to the dam you could probably still have a good time. I just wouldn't venture too far.
Good luck.
Thanks Trash. This waterlevel thing makes me thankful for boating on a navagible water way with bouys.

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the board.... now you're......DOOOOMED!!!!! (http://www.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/dramawm.html?link=4)
I wouldn't worry that much about the water level... just like Trash said. It is easy to navigate that lake and if you have a depth finder... you should be fine.

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Welcome to the board.... now you're......DOOOOMED!!!!! (http://www.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/dramawm.html?link=4)
I wouldn't worry that much about the water level... just like Trash said. It is easy to navigate that lake and if you have a depth finder... you should be fine.
I hope so. I've always wanted to boat on the big Southwest lakes. All the pics I've seen make the lakes look so cool. Very different from what I boat on in the south. Maybe I could get the Magic guys to let me "test drive" that 40' cat. I bet that would do ok in the chop:D

PUMP 'HER'
07-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Oh, I know why don't you try ........there is a Las Vegas Boat Forum also, can't remember the name of it...
Try here.
Las Vegas Hot Boats (http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=40eda97402e9ffff)

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by PUMP 'HER'
Try here.
Las Vegas Hot Boats (http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=40eda97402e9ffff)
Thanks

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Just spend 5 days there, most of the time it was SEVERALLY smooth, but very HOT.

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
Just spend 5 days there, most of the time it was SEVERALLY smooth, but very HOT.
Where did you stay? I need a good place and am willing to spend the money.

welk2party
07-08-2004, 01:06 PM
How are the launch ramps. The ramp by the main entrance was so bad last year I could hardly launch my boat.

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 01:36 PM
riverO, if you want to stay near the lake, try the Hacienda just outside of Boulder City, 6 miles west of the Hoover Dam. They have restaurants, coffee shops, gambling, etc and its 5 minutes from the lake. For nite life, go to Vegas a half hour away. There is shallow water launching at Hemminway, larger boats need to go a few miles further to Lake Mead Marina. Las Vegas Bay Marina and Lake Mead Marina both have rentals, but as said above, none of the boats are very fancy, but practical. I'd loan you my boat, but can't tell you where the hide-a-key is...

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 01:40 PM
riverO, if you want to stay near the lake, try the Hacienda just outside of Boulder City, 6 miles west of the Hoover Dam. They have restaurants, coffee shops, gambling, etc and its 5 minutes from the lake. For nite life, go to Vegas a half hour away. There is shallow water launching at Hemminway, larger boats need to go a few miles further to Lake Mead Marina. Las Vegas Bay Marina and Lake Mead Marina both have rentals, but as said above, none of the boats are very fancy, but practical. I'd loan you my boat, but can't tell you where the hide-a-key is...
Thanks for the offer, but if I'm gonna hit a rock I'd rather do it in a rental. Doesn't anyone rent Party / Deck Cats with blower motors??:D

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
701-394-4040:D
Think they would turn me loose in a 540:D

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by RiverOtter
Think they would turn me loose in a 540:D
If they do that's it I'm robbing something cuz I am so there!! Drool! :D

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
If they do that's it I'm robbing something cuz I am so there!! Drool! :D
Bet I could make lots of new friends in one of those.:D

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Bet I could make lots of new friends in one of those.:D
Like me! :D Damn just picturing that boat in my head gives me a rush! :D

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 02:45 PM
I had heard that Overton rented Hallets out..........I thought that marina was closed because of the lake level?

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Like me! :D Damn just picturing that boat in my head gives me a rush! :D
Wander what those diesels would sound like echoing off those canyou walls:D

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Wander what those diesels would sound like echoing off those canyou walls:D
Loud? Powerful? Am I close? :D

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 02:50 PM
OPPS, 21-23 FOOTERS:(
Well, that beats an outboard 18' Bay Sea Ray Liner Toon

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 02:51 PM
OPPS, 21-23 FOOTERS:(
I gotta say whew here cuz I wasn't looking forward to committing robbery. ;) So close. :D

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 02:53 PM
I gotta say whew here cuz I wasn't looking forward to committing robbery. ;) So close. :D
You woulda had a partner:D

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 02:57 PM
You woulda had a partner:D
That's good cuz I don't know how to drive a boat (yet *said under my breath while knocking on wood with fingers crossed*)! :D

FMluvswater
07-08-2004, 02:58 PM
some one told me his houseboat is 1.7 mil,;)
:eek: :eek:

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 02:59 PM
the guy that owns the marina is loaded,and can be a real DICKHEAD:( but he has nice rentals.some one told me his houseboat is 1.7 mil,its on the left as you leave the marina;)
$1.7 mil..... That's gotta be some "houseboat" How far from Vegas is Overton?

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 03:02 PM
$1.7 mil..... That's gotta be some "houseboat" How far from Vegas is Overton?
It is far.......really far..........on a tiny dirt road, but I can make it from Echo Bay to Henderson in under an hour!

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Thats no good, I've gotta drive to Flagstaff Wed morning. Which sounds like 4-5 hours.

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 03:18 PM
1 1/2 hours easy to the water ,north out of L/V to overton ex ,go right and stay on it ,stor/mc ds on the way :D
After all, they do rent Halletts:D

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 06:48 PM
well, I've got to jump in here. someone has really got some screwed up information. First, you can rent a Hallett 210 at Overton, but I'm not sure what the reservation time is. Second, the owner of Overton is one of the finest gentlemen I've ever known. He's been a tremendous benefactor to Boulder City both publically (donated a park to the city plus much, much more) and privately does more good than the whole democratic party put together but won't allow his name to be used. Overton is the Country Club of Marina's, everyone will treat you with the utmost respect. If you ever run into its owner, you won't use a name like T & B did. I doubt he ever met the owner. Finally, as far as those houseboats on the end go, again you are way off base.
I usually let the false and misleading information go by, but not in this case. Don't get me started.
The road to Overton is paved all the way, but its a fair drive up the lake. If you have the time, its well worth it. Also, you can now walk the ruins of St Thomas which has appeared with the lowering of the water level.

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 06:53 PM
well, I've got to jump in here. someone has really got some screwed up information. First, you can rent a Hallett 210 at Overton, but I'm not sure what the reservation time is. Second, the owner of Overton is one of the finest gentlemen I've ever known. He's been a tremendous benefactor to Boulder City both publically (donated a park to the city plus much, much more) and privately does more good than the whole democratic party put together but won't allow his name to be used. Overton is the Country Club of Marina's, everyone will treat you with the utmost respect. If you ever run into its owner, you won't use a name like T & B did. I doubt he ever met the owner. Finally, as far as those houseboats on the end go, again you are way off base.
I usually let the false and misleading information go by, but not in this case. Don't get me started.
The road to Overton is paved all the way, but its a fair drive up the lake. If you have the time, its well worth it. Also, you can now walk the ruins of St Thomas which has appeared with the lowering of the water level.
I would really like to go to Overton. Problem is I only have one day to burn at Mead (a Tuesday) I have to wake up Wednesday and drive to Flagstaff for a 12PM siminar.

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:02 PM
YES I DID MEET HIM,must have been on one of his off days,AND all i said was what some one told me about the house boat,AND that from someone that has one sliped their AND YES IS IS A VERY NICE MARINA
Maybe it's worth the drive just to see this boat.

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:04 PM
I drove on a dirt road...............somewhere!;)
I remember it!
Oh, maybe it was the paved road, but the edges were being overcome by the dirt along the side. It was a scarey twisting road. I guess if you drive it at night with one headlight on your RV, being blown about by winds every now and then, it seems worse than it is.
Doesn't the lake kinda end there at Overton?

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Whew! Thanks T&B, I thought there was gonna be some drama on my 1st thread :D

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Sweetie.........they should re-name this forum
"All my Hot Boat Friends"
LOL:D
no drama here;)

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Drama?;)

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 07:25 PM
T & B, anyone can have a bad day, so I'll give that to you, I've just never seen this gentleman anything but gratious. And the trip won't be just to see "A" houseboat; there are many, many high dollar houseboat and other larger yachts to be seen there that you don't see around the lake.
And Debbolas, if you were driving in the dirt you may may have been where the lake used to be (ask Scream what a 'lakebed' is...

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Drama?;)
Is this what Yu'all call "off topic"?

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Our boat is currently being fixed
Yes this is totally off topic
I am sorry I accused the fine paved roads of being dirt, I was angry at the road from the entrance of Lake Mead Recreation Area to Echo Bay.
Why you ask?
Well:
1) I had to drive it at night with one headlight and gusts of wind
2) I made the trip 4 times
3) I am trying to overcome my bitterness
4) I still think Lake Mead is the best lake/river I have been to this summmer.
;)

RiverOtter
07-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Ok if I stay close to the dam and Vegas so I'll have a shorter ride to Flagstaff the following day, I'll have great roads, crappy rental boat, low water and rocks. If I drive another 1 to 1.5 hours from Vegas and the Dam I'll have a crappy road, great marina, great rental boats and a very long drive to Flagstaff the next morning with my wife and kids. This will be a hard one. I've always wanted to drive a Hallett.

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Sweetie, the rocks aren't really an issue unless you go close to shore. Stay in the middle and you will be fine.
Overton is at the end of the lake. It is a long drive (no matter what road you are on)
I don't remember the type of boats rented at Las Vegas Marina, but, gosh a Hallett, might be worth the drive down the "very nicely paved road" to Overton.
Oh! I know, check out the boats Las Vegas Marina has to rent, Can you call them or do they have a website? if they are too crappy, drive the long road to Overton. It is at the other end of the lake. Go downlake to Hallet Beach ( Titties, what is that beach called on the map), go thru the narrows, the basin, see the dam, then drive back up. A good day on the lake!
Lake Mead is wonderful, you will have fun!
:D :D :D

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
YA FROM OVERTON GO TO MID/POINT 1 1-1/2 miles(back) from m/p on the right;) 7 1/2 miles from ehco:D
Is that all?
wow, thats not so far............:D

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Sweetie.........they should re-name this forum
"All my Hot Boat Friends"
no drama here;)
Maybe that's what I'll name my boat.... Drama Mine.....:p

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Mine works.... wanna ride Deb?;)

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
riverO. this is so fun. I've been (performance) boating at Lake Mead since the mid sixties (60's), lived in Boulder City since '85 and I love to hear what the newbies have to say. There are many sites you can look up regarding the lake, its level, its temps, its winds. etc, but you've got to experience it. Even at 52% of capacity there are still over 600 miles of shoreline. Look, if you've got to leave for Flag, try the Hacienda which is close to both the highway over the dam and the lake. Save the trip to Echo and Overton until your next trip. After one visit, you're sure to come back. It takes a long time to see it all. Rent one of the non-Halletts at one of the close by marinas and enjoy the dam and the lake. Both marinas have excellent coffee shops for breakfast, or you can do what us locals do, go to the The Coffee Cup in Boulder City. Enough of this nonsense...

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 08:07 PM
i like the name"GET OFF THE BABYSITER":D
I like that one.......... or perhaps....
2 titties and 6 beers...:D

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:13 PM
. this is so fun.. Enough of this nonsense... what nonsence? [/B][/QUOTE]
Well, I think he thinks we are "full of it"
Relax, dude....chill have a pop tart.....I was just relating my experiences at the lake. They may not be yours, but what I posted is what I experienced............
riverO. this is so fun. I've been (performance) boating at Lake Mead since the mid sixties (60's), lived in Boulder City since '85 and I love to hear what the newbies have to say. There are many sites you can look up regarding the lake, its level, its temps, its winds. etc, but you've got to experience it. Even at 52% of capacity there are still over 600 miles of shoreline. Look, if you've got to leave for Flag, try the Hacienda which is close to both the highway over the dam and the lake. Save the trip to Echo and Overton until your next trip. After one visit, you're sure to come back. It takes a long time to see it all. Rent one of the non-Halletts at one of the close by marinas and enjoy the dam and the lake. Both marinas have excellent coffee shops for breakfast, or you can do what us locals do, go to the The Coffee Cup in Boulder City. Enough of this nonsense...
Send him a link to your air photos of the lake, that was cool!;)

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 08:18 PM
ya thats what i was thinking;) ,who gives a shit
Se La Vie....... :rolleyes:

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Well.......he does............too bad his air photos of the lake were awsome.....I guess you just can't have any experience at the lake that differs from his............whatever.....;)

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 08:21 PM
a little help for the drinker tonight?
Not tonight..... mabye tomorrow night!

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 08:25 PM
I wish I knew how to post pictures. Those I took from the air were posted by my daughter who understands computers. I'am at the peak of my expertise here, just barely able to type and spell. The wife and daughter must have taken the equivelent of a dozen rolls over the five (5) day July 4th week-end. Lots of digital and lots of Kodak. They spend a fortune at Savon's 1 hour.

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:27 PM
let me go find the thread for you, what was it called?

Dr. Eagle
07-08-2004, 08:33 PM
let me go find the thread for you, what was it called?
Lake Mead something something...... I think.......

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:34 PM
I tried that it didnt' work...............

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:35 PM
I can't find it...................

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:37 PM
found it!:D

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Sweet Dreams!

burtandnancy
07-08-2004, 08:49 PM
debbolas, that thread was named "burts at lake mead'. nancy posted it (I think). My mind is getting fuzzy...

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:50 PM
No worries, I found it !

RiverOtter
07-09-2004, 04:46 AM
Sorry it's been awhile since all of your posts. I'm 3 hours ahead of y'uall and had to go to bed. Thanks so much for all the info. I can't wait. Like I said, I've wanted to boat on thses lakes since my 1st (& only) trip to Vegas when I was 21 (several years ago). I did a 7 day raft trip through the canyou. What an experience.

RiverOtter
07-09-2004, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbolas
[B]Sweetie, the rocks aren't really an issue unless you go close to shore. Stay in the middle and you will be fine.
Overton is at the end of the lake. It is a long drive (no matter what road you are on)
I don't remember the type of boats rented at Las Vegas Marina, but, gosh a Hallett, might be worth the drive down the "very nicely paved road" to Overton.
Oh! I know, check out the boats Las Vegas Marina has to rent, Can you call them or do they have a website? if they are too crappy, drive the long road to Overton. It is at the other end of the lake. Go downlake to Hallet Beach ( Titties, what is that beach called on the map), go thru the narrows, the basin, see the dam, then drive back up. A good day on the lake!
Lake Mead is wonderful, you will have fun!
Almost sounds like a Clark Griswald plan