PDA

View Full Version : Album surprises...Got any?

HighRoller
07-10-2004, 06:32 AM
So this thread is about albums you bought that you got hooked on or ones that surprised the hell out of you. Until a few weeks ago the best album I had ever bought was by "Tantric". No doubt, I have listened to that thing a few hundred times and thought it might be my all time favorite, but we have a new contender in da house now. Was in the record store the other day and the album they played was some kind of lighthearted, funkish new wave. Upon closer listening I determined it be Oingo Boingo. Never been a fan, but within two more tracks I was boppin along through the aisles. Finally I couldn't stand it and had to check out the "now playing box". It's called "Boingo Alive", and I got it for the rippin price of $2.50 used!!!!!! I've already put at least 20 or 30 laps on that thing and love it! It sounds like a live version of their songs but there's no crowd noise so who knows. Color me surprised, but you just never know! you'd recognize a lot of the songs on it. Funky beats, horn section, all that jazz.....Color me surprised. How about you guys? What has been the biggest surprise of your musical selections?

Floored
07-10-2004, 07:36 AM
love boingo's Dead mans party, the music rocks. original Blues Bro's album turned out to be a favorite and still is, always puts me in a good mood. :sqsmile:

HCS
07-10-2004, 07:50 AM
I have a bunch of old punk thats my favorite.
I have a rare studio recording of Christ on Parade that rocks.
It's on cassette I need to copy it to CD. It would make a excellent black market cut.
If anyone wants a copy let me know.

GlastronGuy
07-10-2004, 08:01 AM
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.
Who know I'd like is as much at 45 as I did at 15?

spute
07-10-2004, 06:36 PM
i have so many...but i think the biggest surprise i ever got off an album may have to be Steely Dan's Aja album.
i am going to take a big bite off this thread and start a new one. i hope you're not pissed!

Dr. Eagle
07-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.
Who know I'd like is as much at 45 as I did at 15?
Yeah, to me that album is timeless... and one of the first true sound projects... by Alan Parsons.

Troubles No More
07-10-2004, 07:09 PM
AC/DC...Back In Black.
As the years go by this is still my preferred album/CD to listen to when having a beerÂ…

Dr. Eagle
07-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
anyone rember "URIAHEAP-DEOMES AND WISERS"SORRYon the spelling
I had an 8 track of Uriah Heap in my VW Beatle that I just about wore out... played it over and over.....

Cheap Thrills
07-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I bought a couple of progressive jazz albums years ago that were suprisingly impressive one of them was when CDs were first comming out by a group called
Flim and the BBs. these guys are tight.
and put together some of the best upbeat jazz music I have ever listened to.
The other was an album called
" Fresh Aire" by Maniheim Steamroller . that was back when synthisizers and MIDI were comming onto the scene which was impressive at the time and sounded really really good after blazing a big dooby :D
C.T. :wink:

Dr. Eagle
07-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Manheim Steamroller is an awesome group
Also for progressive or fusion jazz there's always
The Yellowjackets and
Dixie Dregs...

LaveyJet
07-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Depech Mode - Violator
Dishwalla - Opaline

Cheap Thrills
07-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Manheim Steamroller is an awesome group
Also for progressive or fusion jazz there's always
The Yellowjackets and
Dixie Dregs...
I have heard of the Dixi Dregs. but havent heard anything from The Yellowjackets I comb through the server ring and see if I can find some.
If you like good jazz I highly recomend
Flim and the BBs if you havent herd them yet. they are highly organised melodic upbeat jazz.(Progressive) simular to some of the stuff Donald fagen of Steely Dan does. just without the vocals.
some of that Fusion jazz sounds to me like they're having a race to see who finishes the score first with an occational syncronised melody of about 2 measures. :p

Dr. Eagle
07-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
I have heard of the Dixi Dregs. but havent heard anything from The Yellowjackets I comb through the server ring and see if I can find some.
If you like good jazz I highly recomend
Flim and the BBs if you havent herd them yet. they are highly organised melodic upbeat jazz.(Progressive) simular to some of the stuff Donald fagen of Steely Dan does. just without the vocals.
some of that Fusion jazz sounds to me like they're having a race to see who finishes the score first with an occational syncronised melody of about 2 measures. :p
Being a musician, I appreciate the intricate scores... but it sounds like music for musicians to me...

AdrenelineOD
07-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
I have a bunch of old punk thats my favorite.
I have a rare studio recording of Christ on Parade that rocks.
It's on cassette I need to copy it to CD. It would make a excellent black market cut.
If anyone wants a copy let me know. I`ll bet I`m the only one one here that knows what you`re talking about. I have a large punk collection but was most happy about DISORDER perdition ep. Or Discharge Hear nothing se nothing say nothing. Be sure to get me one of those recordings.:D

shueman
07-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Whenever we hook-up the boat and head for the river, it's Duelin Daltons.....

HCS
07-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Dixi Dregs! What hat did you pull that out from under?
How about Tommy Bolin "Post Tostie"
Now that's one of the best unknown riffs of all time.

Dr. Eagle
07-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Dixi Dregs! What hat did you pull that out from under?
How about Tommy Bolin "Post Tostie"
Now that's one of the best unknown riffs of all time.
Pretty obscure... I don't think I am familiar with that one... Senator!

MagicMtnDan
07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
OMD (Orchestral Manuvers in the Dark) album called "Sugar Tax"
First heard it (one song) at a strip club in Dallas :cool:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000WI3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Others include:
Elvis Costello - especially the song "Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes"
The Ramones
Led Zep 1
many others

HCS
07-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I got my kid playing some hot licks right now. He's 4 years old.
like father like son.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/637AIOtmp_0_-med.jpg
That's true garage music.:D

Cheap Thrills
07-11-2004, 01:19 AM
I got my kid playing some hot licks right now. He's 4 years old.
like father like son.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/637AIOtmp_0_-med.jpg
That's true garage music.:D
Cool little guitar kinda looks like a mini
Gibson "The Paul " The bridge looks almost like it's set up for a wammy bar .
single humbucker ?
I have a mini Fender Strat. I play the shieat out of that little thing the enotation is better on it than it is on my Epiphone "Riveira" but not quite as crisp as my
D-1 Martin :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1127mini_strat-med.JPG

HighRoller
07-11-2004, 01:31 AM
We better be quiet because you're not the shiznit at the river unless you blast the new joint from "BigballaMCbitchslappahoG2764587Rollinon27'sYO!"
Have you heard his new joint?"Y'all shizzle my bizzle with the nizzle quizzle trizzle frizzle twizzler red vines jujubees shiznit."?
It's the bomb...