PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Good Speakers and Head Unit???

100mbs
07-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I need to replace my speakers and head unit but dont want to spend a whole lot of money.
I need (4) 6 1/2" speakers and a head unit.
Does any one recommend a goo combination???
Are regular Car speakers the same as Marine Speakers???
Thanks,
100mbs...

LHC30Victory
07-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Don't know about the speakers, but I hear this thread has to do with the head unit!
http://www.frycookonvenus.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=209

riverbound
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
I would recommend the alpine cda9827 (cd,am,fm,mp3, plus has outputs for amps later)and the Eclips se8363 (poly cone 3way with rubbersurround) I have bulit numerous boats using this equipment and have been very happy. I would recommned getting an amp though you can get a good quality amp for less than $300 and it will make all the difference in the world. If you are set on using "marine" equipment rockford and clarion are starting to build some nice stuff Mb quart is the way to go for high end.

100mbs
07-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Is there a difference between "marine" equipment and standard equipment??
Do you know where I can get the Eclipse and Alpine equipment cheap?
100mbs

riverbound
07-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 100mbs
Is there a difference between "marine" equipment and standard equipment??
Do you know where I can get the Eclipse and Alpine equipment cheap?
100mbs
"MARINE" equipment does have it advantages like a focus on shock protection, coated boards etc..., But usually not owrth the money especially in a boat that sees little to no ocean/salt water.
I do know of a place that sells alpine & eclipse for a good price;)
Call me at (909)481-8411
Bill

Evo22
07-13-2004, 10:17 AM
hit me up with some model numbers and i can see what i can do price wise ???

ROZ
07-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Even at retail the CDA9827 is a GREAT value.... It's one of my favorites :)
You may want to PM or call Bill for pricing.....

K9Blitz
07-14-2004, 03:42 PM
I am a big Eclipse speaker fan and have had nothing but great sound from their point source 5x7's and 6.5's and some of their component speakers.
I'm replacing the speakers in my 24' Essex Valor with Eclipse and didn't have the dough for a retail purchase.
Long story short, did an Eclipse search on Ebay with great results. One pair of new in the box 6x9's for $120 and another pair of month old 6x9's for $90. This way I get the full benefit of Eclipse sound, but without the retail heartache if they get wet or stolen.

riverbound
07-14-2004, 03:50 PM
You should have called me. I'm known for not charging retail.

K9Blitz
07-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Had I known I would have checked with you first. I love the Point Source speakers. Since I know you do Eclipse, I'll refer business to your shop. I get a lot of folks commenting on the sound of my current and prior vehicles' Eclipse set-up.

survey76
07-14-2004, 07:13 PM
I agree with you about the Eclipse stuff. I installed a set of 6.5" Point Source speakers in the back of my truck and later replaced the front speakers with a set of Focal seperates, and I was honestly more impressed with the cheaper Eclipse speakers. I ended up running nothing but Eclipse in the new boat after that.
-Dan

K9Blitz
07-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Agreed. Great sound.
I have a pair of 6.5''s Point Sources on the rear doors of my Tahoe, with Eclipse components on the front. Sub in the back...two Eclipse amps.
I had a Ford super duty crew cab that I put 4 5x7 point sources in with a 10" sub and it also sounded great.
I will be hooking up the boat point source 6x9's this week. I am excited.

riverbound
07-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Have you done the point source in a boat before? I have not had very much success with them in a boat, the tweeters are too subtle for an open environment.

K9Blitz
07-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Have not done the Point Source in a boat. Since I am not doing a sub in the boat, I wanted a speaker that can handle the power from the existing Rockford amp and sound good doing it. If the set-up lacks high-end, I figured it would be easier to add tweeters since there won't be a sub.
I've had both my vehicle's systems with the point source cranked up while parked with all the doors, windows and hatch open and was still impressed with the point source. I know that's not exactly like the boat environment, but if it performs like that in the boat then I'll be happy.
I know what you are saying because of the silk dome tweeter on the point source. Hopefully, I'll report back with good news!

riverbound
07-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Let me know how they work out.

K9Blitz
07-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Riverbound,
Thanks for the scoop. Keeping in mind what you said about he high-end on the Point Source in a boat application, I decided to install only one pair under the bench seat in the back and keep the Alpine 3-ways on the sides. Perfect combo. I think I'll eventually replace the Alpine's with the Eclipse 6x9 3-way's.
The point source's put out great mid's and bass and make up for lack of motivation to install a sub.

riverbound
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
No problem,let me know if you have any more question.:D