PDA

View Full Version : Good 4 channel amp for 8 6.5s?

survey76
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
I'd like to get rid of the two Kenwood amps we're currently running on our boat and use just one 4-channel amp. Does anyone have any suggestions? It would obviously have to be 2ohm stable. I'm running Eclipse SP8962s for the 6.5"s, just FYI. I've been impressed with the JBL amps I've used in the past, but I'm not sure if anything they offer now would work in my situation. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

ROZ
07-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by survey76
I'd like to get rid of the two Kenwood amps we're currently running on our boat and use just one 4-channel amp. Does anyone have any suggestions? It would obviously have to be 2ohm stable. I'm running Eclipse SP8962s for the 6.5"s, just FYI. I've been impressed with the JBL amps I've used in the past, but I'm not sure if anything they offer now would work in my situation. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
What Kenwood KCA's are you running?
JBL's PX300.4 will run 75x4 @ 4ohms or 150x4 @ 2ohms.....

survey76
07-14-2004, 02:28 PM
We're running two KAC-7201s. They're 2-channel amps so we're running them at 2ohm. They're rated at 230W x 2 which means we're throwing 115w each at each speaker. They've been great amps. This is the second season we've ran them and they've yet to overheat here in the Texas heat, but I was considering consolidating and running just one 4-channel amp. I'm running out of space on the boat and don't like the current install and wanted to clean it up some, but I might just move the sub amp over near the sub. Just thinking about all my options right now actually...
Thanks,
Dan

ROZ
07-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Your system is only seeing those numbers when the alternator is running, if that...The specs you listed are at 14.4 volts and may not be a reactive load test(using a speaker)... You're getting a fraction of that power and more distortion than 2 4channel amps. The JBL amp's power is @ 12volts....Besides, the Excelon amps are the only amps they make that have a little balls....

survey76
07-14-2004, 03:22 PM
So you're thinking the one JBL amp would be better than the two Kenwoods? Do you carry the JBL stuff?
Thanks,
Dan

ROZ
07-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by survey76
So you're thinking the one JBL amp would be better than the two Kenwoods? Do you carry the JBL stuff?
Thanks,
Dan
Normally I'd say no, but I believe that amp has more balls than the 2 amps you have....Ultimately you'd want to run 2 4 channel amps with the same output... A benefit other than just cleaning up your wiring is that your amp draw "may ;) " go down with the single amp. Hpefully you'll get a little extended playing time as well.... :)
Because JBL can be bought from just about anyone online for 5-10 percent above cost, we on't carry their stuff....
You may want to pm RiverCrazy about his thoughts on this running your system. He's a JBL fanatic :D

Shark In The Pond
07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Normally I'd say no, but I believe that amp has more balls than the 2 amps you have....Ultimately you'd want to run 2 4 channel amps with the same output... A benefit other than just cleaning up your wiring is that your amp draw "may ;) " go down with the single amp. Hpefully you'll get a little extended playing time as well.... :)
Because JBL can be bought from just about anyone online for 5-10 percent above cost, we on't carry their stuff....
You may want to pm RiverCrazy about his thoughts on this running your system. He's a JBL fanatic :D
I just had two JBL amps added ..PX300.4 and the GTO1201.1 running to 4 - 6 1/2 , 4 - tweeters and 2 - 12's runs cool and sounds great ! Having to do its job here in Tx. as well .